2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    That's discouraging about the cost of the Prolia How much is your deductible? Are you on Medicare yet. I wonder if Medicare would cover it if your doctor write and appeal about you having tried the other medication and having fracture while on them. I would think the cost of caring for the fracture and PT would be more expensive than paying for 2 yearly injection. At least you can get some help from the Prolia copay program. I hope DH' back tarts to feel better soon. My DH graduated from cardiac rehab today. His final instructions were that he needs to be sure to exercise 50 minutes a day, five days a week. It won't be a problem in FL but the therapist told him he could quickly lose all his progress if he doesn't follow through on hi own. We'll have to come up with a routine to be sure he tays active.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Pam--Sorry DH is having problems. I'm on the Fosamax generic but I can't see that it has done much for me. I've lost height over the years. People I used to look down on are people I now look up to. Did you decide about your Hawaii tours?

Helene--I hope DH can follow through on the therapist's recommendation. My cardiologist recommended 60 min a day. I tried that for a month along with a 1200 cal diet with no loss. Then I got busy with school and the rest is history. It is so hard to devote 60 minutes a day to exercising despite what some may be able to do.

Maryanne--Cute Halloween graphic with the kitties. I haven't checked out the Survivor links as I haven't seen it since the second year after losing interest.

I go to the city tomorrow to get my nails done and have lunch with a friend. I leave for Seattle on Thursday. Other than being in the airport, I've never been to Seattle but we had to choose a place to exchange our tickets to Puerto Rico that did not involve a fare increase over what we had already paid. We had to February to use the tickets, but we have learned not to travel in the Winter
  • Helene610
    Options
    DH doesn't have to worry about weight. He's within a few pounds of what he weighed in high school. His exercise i to keep his heart muscle strong. He's retired so he doesn't have to worry about fitting it in around work. The therapist told him he can break it up into smaller segments if he needs to as long a he gets enough in minute per day. I'll try to do some with him to motivate him and to help me with my weight. We'll see how it goes.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,601 Member
    Options
    Pam - that's discouraging about the drug costs. I plugged it into GoodRx and unfortunately 1125 looks like a pretty good price. Since it's subject to the deductible what they've saying is that it doesn't qualify as preventive care under health care reform. Pretty short sighted. I bet a couple month stay in rehab (like a friend of a friend had recently after a fracture) would be a whole lot more expensive. I hope your hubby feels better soon.

Medical expense decisions are tough. DH has had to make a couple really tough cost decisions on both dental and medical care in the last couple years. Not me yet but I know my time is coming.

One thing I know I need to do but haven't been able to force myself to do is find a new dentist. One that is a participating provider in BlueCross dental. Otherwise what I pay for dental insurance isn't worth nearly as much as it could be.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I dropped Delta Dental several years ago. My dentist was out of network so they paid a pittance. I decided to save the premiums and use the money saved towards dental bills. My dentist just started a new plan where I pay $299 upfront. That covers 2 cleanings and x-rays a year. It's pretty much a wash on what I pay VS what I get. But other services like crowns, implants, fillings, etc are at a 255 discount. I have an implant coming up probably in the $2,000 range so a 25% discount is a good deal. If I like it, I'll renew again next fall but it looks like a win/win to me. He aligned his practice with Gentle Dental. They are doing the billing and insurance for him. If Gentle Dental is in your area, you could check them out and see if they offer that plan.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Jean, I didn't realize your trip was coming so soon. Good thing you changed from PR. It sounds like things are still a big mess there. I hope you have a great trip even though it wasn't first choice.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Hmmm, my dentist's web site says they are participating dentists in several dental plans including Delta Dental. I need to explore this. Maybe instead of changing dentists I change dental insurance carriers. Of course I'd be subject to a pre-ex but it might be worth it.

Spritzing here a little today. Less than last Sunday. I actually debated not feeding the colonies last Sunday but went anyway and was glad I did. They were all waiting for me - rain or no! I actually haven't missed a day yet. I know it will happen eventually some day due to snow or hurricane level rain and I know it will upset me terribly.

We had to have an emergency plumber here yesterday for the toilet. Had the cats sequestered for hours. They were NOT happy campers. It was Indy's first time so she didn't know what to make of it. I have NO idea what the plumber did because the toilet is still "running" but apparently he fixed something more critical. And dramatically bad mouthed the last plumber who worked on it. We only have one bathroom so it's sort of critical. LOL!

Today I've got some work to do along with some CROM paperwork.

• KonaKat
    Options
    Insurance can be a pain. I've been fortunate with my Humana Advantage plan that I transitioned into automatically from the State Plan when I retired. It doesn't do dental, vision or hearing aids without your buying a supplemental insurance. As often as I have to change my prescription for vision, the premiums can add up to what the prescription change and new lenses cost. With the hearing plan, you are limited to specific providers and types of hearing aids.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I am one of those that functions well on Daylight Savings Time. My internal alarm clock got me up at 4:30 which would have been 5:30 or usual wake-up time. It is going to be a long day, so I started preparing for the Seattle trip early.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Is the plumber coming back to finish the repairs? Our new plumber got the heat working in minute. It was a stuck valve. We have a couple of other jobs but thought we'd try him out on the heat problem to see how he did. We'd like to have the system flushed and new anti-freeze added before we head south. Our time here is short so that may not happen. We need a kitchen faucet replaced but that can wait until we get back. I need to tart pulling out clothes I want to take south with me. So little time, so much work.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    We weren't planning to have the plumber back but things seemed worse instead of better so here they are. This time they dug some roots out from the pipes and things seem to be flowing better. We'll see. This house was built in 1948 so the plumbing is ancient. Even older than me. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I want this:

9q9dl3uzztpa.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited November 2017
    Options
    u7w7zxs4ew2x.png
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    e9dziff8amia.png
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--Love the graphics, especially the "kitten printer." I worked today which was an easy day. I'll work tomorrow, and then Wednesday I will be taking Midnight to the vet in the city to board while on the trip. I'll come back and get ready and then go to the city Thursday morning to pick up my niece before heading to the airport.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Does Midnight mind being boarded? You seem pretty well organized for your trip.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--Midnight gets along well with the staff but it takes him a day to adjust. It is 42 miles to the vet and he hates car rides He rarely "speaks" but he really howls at first. He develops a lot of anxiety, and vomits. He then settles down. I hate it but I have no one here to come in, look after him, play with him which they can do at the vet. They treat him as if he were one of their own. This is a great vet service and has fabulous reviews. I've been using them since 2000. The local vet's hours are horrible as he works 3 different towns, and he doesn't board animals unless under treatment.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - wishing you the very best trip and Midnight an easy ride! That's probably sort of comparable to me driving one of my guys to the internist in Fairfax VA. Not fun at all!

Could they give you anti-anxiety meds for him? For example, you can get Elavil in a transdermal form that you rub on their ear.
  • Helene610
    Options
    We tried the trans-dermal on the ear with our cats. They wised up quickly and would take off when we'd try to apply it. Maybe it was the smell that tipped them off. We quickly gave it up but it might work for some cats.