Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I ordered that book and will be devouring it soon.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    On the downward ride again..relosing the same pounds as last time...haven't weighed for two days now, so might be going back up as we speak, if I'm following my recent pattern. Not gonna sweat it.
    My yoga stuff is going well; baby steps, so I don't burn out.
    Started painting again for a few days.
    Dance nights and social stuff is holding steady.
    Back at work, which is good for me.
    Trying to keep it all together with a good attitude is hard to do. My body is okay as is for now. I'm not where I want to be poundwise, but it's not too bad, and I really don't have time to devalue myself over it right now.
    I guess that's good, and for the moment I feel content.
    Today is an at home day and I love it.
    The weekend poses the usual angst filled social and food decisions, but not gonna worry 'bout it til tomorrow night.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sending all the hugs, @elize7 - but overall, that sounds like a great plan!
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I just discovered this group and joined. I started my keto journey on Sunday. I have to say that I have been thrilled to be feeling full and satiated daily, yet keeping my carbs (and without trying, my calories) low. I feel like this WOE can be sustainable and successful for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    Hello all, I just discovered this group and joined. I started my keto journey on Sunday. I have to say that I have been thrilled to be feeling full and satiated daily, yet keeping my carbs (and without trying, my calories) low. I feel like this WOE can be sustainable and successful for me.

Good luck on your journey!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in on the EFT/tapping... I had debilitating panic attacks in my early 20s and EFT was the one thing that could get me back into my body and grounded again. I started using it preventativly and panic attacks were kept at bay. Eventually I stopped having them altogether and I didn't need to tap anymore :)
  • elize7
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sabotage by self, it is! Not too bad, not even a pound's worth, just noting that when I do good, I am prone to this phenomenon. The one step forward-two steps back thing that seems familiar in many areas of my modus operandi.
    Going to mitigate the damage as much as possible today. No worries. It all comes out in the wash...
    My horoscope says the next two weeks are best spent in family/home type activities and that's just what I think I need. Maybe try to go to Provincetown to see my son, now that the crazy summer season is over. Man, the single, social life can get to feeling pretty toxic at times. Time for the pause that refreshes....
    Just saying that ....and I can already feel the fresh air sweeping though me. I'll be chilling out with my cat Spazz, my home body stuff, and watching "Wolfman" on Svengoolie tonite!

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I'll be chilling out with my cat Spazz

That was my childhood cats name! Never met another one... very cute :)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cat named Spoot. My kids named it. Thought it really cute and loved it until one day I was watching the cartoon "The Angry Beavers" with them and discovered that spoot was used as a swear word by the beavers. Great, my cat is named a swear word. Gave us a lot of laughs actually. Great cat, a little pycho though, liked to drag my husband's underwear around the house, clear or dirty. Didn't bother anybody else's, only his.

Okay, Keto stuff. Got the books, both the Performance and For Living ones and am devouring them. So much information that is good. I think I'm on the right track and really need to just trust my body that it has fuel and not worry so much about fueling it mid-run unless necessary. Yes, electrolytes don't count as fuel. :)

Starting out at 5 am in the dark to do 12 miles in the morning. On my own without a running partner since he's off running a "training run" for his 100 miler. Also known as a marathon. So I'll have to work to stay motivated and keep up with my run/walk pattern.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll let you know if it works and what great stuff I find out. Oh, I've also been watching some videos on Diet Doctor, really informative stuff there.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Sabotage by self, it is! Not too bad, not even a pound's worth, just noting that when I do good, I am prone to this phenomenon. The one step forward-two steps back thing that seems familiar in many areas of my modus operandi.
    Going to mitigate the damage as much as possible today. No worries. It all comes out in the wash...
    My horoscope says the next two weeks are best spent in family/home type activities and that's just what I think I need. Maybe try to go to Provincetown to see my son, now that the crazy summer season is over. Man, the single, social life can get to feeling pretty toxic at times. Time for the pause that refreshes....
    Just saying that ....and I can already feel the fresh air sweeping though me. I'll be chilling out with my cat Spazz, my home body stuff, and watching "Wolfman" on Svengoolie tonite!

You’re singing my song sister! I had a nice (for me) loss of 1.6lbs last week and how do I celebrate? Self-sabotage! That’s right, 1.6lbs down and the next thing I know, I’m elbow deep into a bowl of homemade caramel popcorn! My daughter loves to cook/bake. She’s only 12 so I do what I can to cultivate an interest in the kitchen. For the most part, she cooks healthy but she also likes to make treats from time to time. Yesterday was one of those times...

It’s like I’m drawn to it like a magnet. I kep trying to walk away and ignore it but it kept sucking me back and low and behold, I woke up this morning with 2.2lbs more than I did yesterday morning.

When?! When will I stop the madness and quit taking two steps forward and one step back?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

You’re singing my song sister! I had a nice (for me) loss of 1.6lbs last week and how do I celebrate? Self-sabotage! That’s right, 1.6lbs down and the next thing I know, I’m elbow deep into a bowl of homemade caramel popcorn! My daughter loves to cook/bake. She’s only 12 so I do what I can to cultivate an interest in the kitchen. For the most part, she cooks healthy but she also likes to make treats from time to time. Yesterday was one of those times...

It’s like I’m drawn to it like a magnet. I kep trying to walk away and ignore it but it kept sucking me back and low and behold, I woke up this morning with 2.2lbs more than I did yesterday morning.

When?! When will I stop the madness and quit taking two steps forward and one step back?

@4031isaiah - Maybe it's time to start a challenge - find the healthiest, but best tasting treats? Maybe once ever 2 weeks?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think self sabotage is a form of our fear of change, surfacing. Sure, we all WANT to be better, healthier, etc. But we, especially those of us who have been out of the "game" for a while, we tend to fear the unknown, and for us, in the skin we live in now, we aren't sure what all that means anymore... So we get scared, and we self-sabotage in an attempt to protect ourselves. Or it's the "thank goodness that's over" response. Either way, once we figure out what it is, we can develop plans to work around it...theoretically, right?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@4031isaiah - Maybe it's time to start a challenge - find the healthiest, but best tasting treats? Maybe once ever 2 weeks?

The problem is not with my daughter’s baking/cooking choices, it’s with my willpower and choice to take part.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I think self sabotage is a form of our fear of change, surfacing. Sure, we all WANT to be better, healthier, etc. But we, especially those of us who have been out of the "game" for a while, we tend to fear the unknown, and for us, in the skin we live in now, we aren't sure what all that means anymore... So we get scared, and we self-sabotage in an attempt to protect ourselves. Or it's the "thank goodness that's over" response. Either way, once we figure out what it is, we can develop plans to work around it...theoretically, right?

You could be right. I mean, truth be told, I’ve been struggling with my weight and how I feel about the way I look for so long, I’m not sure what I will do when the day comes that I don’t have to anymore.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

The problem is not with my daughter’s baking/cooking choices, it’s with my willpower and choice to take part.

@4031isaiah - I was thinking more about setting her up for long term life success. She's half you... If you're struggling, she's generally speaking got a 50/50 chance of ending up close to or where you are. If she finds a passion in more things, she stacks the odds in her own favor. Because the simple fact is that really, the situation of a "treat from time to time" is part of what started the snowballs rolling downhill that had us end up where we are, no?

Situations of comfort foods when sick or sad, day out treats with mom/dad/grandparents/etc. generally involving food or other treats, family holiday meal traditions, stress foods/drinks/habits, just all those things we get exposed to in life...from family, from friends, from teachers at school, on TV shows, movies, or programs, etc. It is all just building up on us. We are fostered by our environment. I know that my daughter told me that she wished we'd started focusing on whole foods and trying new things together much younger...and working on fancy type recipes and/or healthy recipes earlier... She said she knew it was more fun together, etc. So just an offer of the lessons learned... LOL

And with any luck, your daughter is one of those that having something like homemade caramel corn doesn't trigger her to want more, etc. I sometimes wonder if my entire childhood hadn't seemed to have come from a box (yay, food stamps and state assistance!) if my outlook would have been different...etc.

Not judging, just thinking aloud. But I bet if your daughter knew how much you struggled over the choice of her treat and sharing it with her and such, she'd feel incredibly guilty...and she shouldn't, so... Anyway, just my random 27 cents here. Please feel free to ignore.

Remember, willpower is finite, it is a lie, and it will fail you... It is a myth. It creates a chemical response in our brains that overrides all else...
  • elize7
    Options
    I may be coming up on a situation where I would eventually use food as comfort.. right now, I'm less hungry after finding out that at least two people I thought of as trusted friends are actually back stabbers.
    Not hungry now, actually the opposite of that, but I can see that piece looming in the foreground.
    So, now I have a chance to figure out an alternative to the stuffing of the feelings.
    I made an extra therapy appointment over this. That might be a good time to get a plan together. Right now, I just feel sick to my stomach over it all, and very sad and jaded. I do have a couple events away from this particular group of vipers, so it might be best to just avoid until my feelings settle.
    I think the aftermath of losing weight, empty nesting, and needing to get out of isolating may have caused me to be too quick to trust people. Going forward, the boundaries need to be seriously revamped.
    A lot of folks really have no moral compass and will sell you out at at their earliest convenience. I would kill for a couple of local, tried-and-true friends to hang out with. I'm so tired of feeling isolated even though I'm getting out rather alot.
    Having used excessive fat as a protective shield for so many years...it really winds up being that it was no protection at all. Just kept me from learning how to keep myself secure among people. Not helpful at all in the long run.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    to elize7: hope you feel better soon
  • elize7
    Options
    After a good night's sleep, I feel ready to move forward. In an attempt to be nice to myself, I'm not doing a weigh in today. Although I've been on track with macros and cals...I have been numbing out with alcohol, so....water retention! Don't need to see that today!
    Yoga, therapy, dance night. Today will be okay. I have good keto food in-house for a change, so that should help with adherence. Still don't feel hungry, but I do feel ready to move on.
    Open heart, open mind, happy body: nobody gets to take these things away from me.