Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

couple picky eaters. Plus I just don’t believe in depriving a child of rice, they are born and raised in Hawaii. I’m small kine worried about having around and not eating it.

I have picky eaters myself. I make them variations of what I have. So we still have pasta fries and rice... the first few weeks are difficult but once you get used to it, the "cravings aren't there and easy to resist.
    I use Pinterest for a lot of ideas. My grocery budget is around 150 a week for family of 4.5 (friend is usually over some nights).
  • pinkribbonsparkle
    Options
    Hi! I’m new to Keto, and looking for friends who like to cook and be creative in the kitchen. I’ve been making fat bombs and loving it. I just made a batch of fried cauliflower rice. Also amazing. I’d love to meet some folks who like to cook and share recipes.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi! I’m new to Keto, and looking for friends who like to cook and be creative in the kitchen. I’ve been making fat bombs and loving it. I just made a batch of fried cauliflower rice. Also amazing. I’d love to meet some folks who like to cook and share recipes.

I love to cook too, check out the diet doctor site. They have some really good recipes, rarely for me I use them fairly exactly and don't have to change them for flavour etc. You can search for low carb and for keto recipes on the site. Very often I just cook what I cook but miss out or change bits to keep it Keto and if we have friends round I cook a keto main course and make sure I don't hit the potatoes! I did do cauliflower mash for me recently, fortunately I made a lot as everyone else ate it and loved it! What's not to love really when you can use cream and butter!

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Glad to be home. This week was killer...both in a good way and bad. And also busy, busy busy. I look 10 years older. Glad it's over, and it looks like a quiet weekend ahead. Much needed. Had a great time with my son, though.
    Back to the serious business of building up my solo life. Also, back to my food plan. For the next 3 months...self care is front and center. Platonic socializing and activies are next, and then artistic pursuits bringing up the rear. That should take me through the end of the dreaded holiday season with minimal damage.
    Although I'm feeling a little let down by certain people in my life right now, I can just steer clear of them and live well regardless.
    If I could just find a way to bump up my level of everyday satisfaction about 25% above my current 50%, I would be on cloud 9.
    Not sure what it will take to do that, but I'm still trying to find out.
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Doing great except I've gotten nothing done at work today! I stepped on a digital scale after using an "analog" scale for a while and it turns out I didn't gain back as much as I'd thought previously. I'm 22lbs away from my halfway point! So that's exciting. I'm also super board and getting over a cold. Yaaaay!
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Took September off sink be i hit a stall. Gained back 5 lbs but after a week back at it I've lost those 5. Now just have to keep going and somehow find the time and every to get back to the gym.
  • elize7
    Options
    Really all over the place right now. For every good choice I make it seems there is an equal and opposite bad choice. These are not extremes, so that is good; but I feel like I'm bouncing off walls a little too much. I struggle with this all or nothing type of pathology in my life in everything from food, to projects, to relationships,etc. Very tiring and not very chill. Even though I'm aware of this, I feel powerless to stop at times, especially this month. I'll eventually calm things down, I'm sure; but this is the type of thing I hope to change with the yoga stuff I'm doing. Can't happen soon enough, cuz I just dream about being slow and steady in my life. I wonder if I'll ever really reach a place in life where I feel okay with myself... is it even possible?
    Anyway, kept to keto food plan today. It is good to be home.
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    . I wonder if I'll ever really reach a place in life where I feel okay with myself... is it even possible?

It sounds as if you are too self critical and I'm sure from your posts you have very little reason to be. Hang on in there and enjoy what you have and look at your successes, including sticking to Keto today!!
  • Ketomilly1
    Ketomilly1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi to all . I am fairly new to doing Keto. I have used MFP on and off for years. I am 52 and the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I have thyroid med adjustments going on , hopefully that will help . I am working with my doctor to run some specific blood tests in 2 months to see how Keto along with intermittent fasting can improve my metabolic issues. I food prep for my day. Mostly eat in a 3 to 4 hour window and a 1250 calorie, 70 fat/ 20 protein/10carb percent ratios, net carbs avg 18. Been doing this for 5 days. I haven’t lost anything yet but do feel better. I don’t really feel too hungry in fast now. I plan to keep up with current approach for 2 weeks and make adjustments if I don’t see weight loss by then. ... love to hear any tips from those who have found success
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    The agony of having so many grandchildren....... lots of birthday treats! lol I stay away from most of them but yesterday the pumpkin cookies just threw themselves down my throat!

Was going to run 14 miles this morning but at 4 am got a call from my daughter asking me to come to her house to watch her kids. Her husband was on his way to the hospital with chest pains. They've done tests but no heart problems so they are considering gall bladder. So running took a back seat to watching grandchildren.

Marcelyn
    with a soft spot for grandbabies
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    with a soft spot for grandbabies

me too, my life is always.......please could you just.........!
  • elize7
    Options
    I am feeling a lot of anger at the moment. On my way to see my Sunday Night movie, "The Shining" for this week. Hoping that will vicariously defuse some of these feelings. Anger is not an emotion I feel comfortable with; and I either repress it or explode. So, I'm putting it out on the table. I know there is a happy medium with these things. In meditation I'm supposed to acknowledge it, and let it go.
    I'm willing to try new things.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Really all over the place right now. For every good choice I make it seems there is an equal and opposite bad choice. These are not extremes, so that is good; but I feel like I'm bouncing off walls a little too much. I struggle with this all or nothing type of pathology in my life in everything from food, to projects, to relationships,etc. Very tiring and not very chill. Even though I'm aware of this, I feel powerless to stop at times, especially this month. I'll eventually calm things down, I'm sure; but this is the type of thing I hope to change with the yoga stuff I'm doing. Can't happen soon enough, cuz I just dream about being slow and steady in my life. I wonder if I'll ever really reach a place in life where I feel okay with myself... is it even possible?

@elize7 - I think most of us struggle with feeling good within ourselves. We have a lifetime of baggage. Perhaps something like the mirror challenge would help you. Where you look in the mirror for 5 minutes each day and focus on something you love about your appearance. If it's hard at first, you can focus on just your eyes or your smile, etc. You do this every day until it feels more natural. Then add a second item. You can start with just a face mirror and move on towards a full length mirror.

Getting back to journaling, and focusing on thankfulness, etc., might help, too, especially as we aim for the landmine filled holiday season...

(HUGS)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am feeling a lot of anger at the moment. On my way to see my Sunday Night movie, "The Shining" for this week. Hoping that will vicariously defuse some of these feelings. Anger is not an emotion I feel comfortable with; and I either repress it or explode. So, I'm putting it out on the table. I know there is a happy medium with these things. In meditation I'm supposed to acknowledge it, and let it go.
    I'm willing to try new things.

Have you ever read the books, "The Dance of Anger?" They're a great series that talks about how we, as women or soft-spoken men, are often taught that anger is unhealthy and not attractive and mean. What they say it really is is that we haven't been taught how to truly use that anger well... Anger is one of the biggest forces for change that we have ... and we aren't tapping in to that... Imagine what we could accomplish - with ourselves and with the world around us - if we could just figure out how to use this amazing force for good... Definitely worth a read or listen if the horror movie didn't help.

Loud angry rock music is my go-to... (HUGS)
  • Ketomilly1
    Ketomilly1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh, I hope your son n law is doing ok...I too am perplexed how cookies throw themselves down ones throat
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    I too did a ton of cooking today.........86 cup cakes and 2 birthday cakes!! I didn't know how often, when baking, I got the dough on my finger and licked it off, that was one bad habit to break today!!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of "keeping my mouth shut" today. Which if you knew me you'd understand why this is a victory of sorts....

My son-in-law had a mini-heart attack. His EKG was abnormal and showed an attack. They did a catherization thing where they went through his vein to take pictures, look at his heart etc. They found nothing. Absolutely nothing. His heart is super healthy. He has clean veins, no build-ups or anything. He's only 37 so this shouldn't be a surprise. So... the thought is it is stress-induced. All the Dr's were baffled as they all saw the EKG and the pain was very real but there was no physical reason for it. So..... admittedly his work has been very stressful since Hurricane Harvey, super busy and long long hours. I think he'll be cutting back a bit.

• elize7
    Options
    Hope to be back on track, starting this weekend. Just got back from grocery shopping, and I'm all stocked up with keto/LC foods. Also, right back at the top of my recent weight situation, and ready to give it another go.
    Can forsee a nicely paced few weeks ahead of me, with most focus on rejuvenating my spirit. Am starting a 12 week art course with the focus on connecting with my brand of creativity...whatever that may be.
    I feel that the changes I'm making now will be helpful long term to my wellbeing. Also with less focus on social things, I'm hoping food goals will be easier to meet...less alcohol, less unplanned emotional eating.
    Work is still awesome, just not enough hours to get by, and hopefully I'll find something to do along side it to bump up hours.
    I really hope to get into a good food plan pattern and stay there long enough to make the progress I so want to make.
    I'm also sticking with the idea of making changes in the way I eat, while still keeping to the low carb/keto life. A bit more variety and preparation and taking time to sit and enjoy eating rather than being so draconian and watching TV rather than enjoy the food. We'll see how that goes.
    A new day is a clean slate.