My weight loss saga - Jim

Options

Replies

• jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    @tlblanksfit I know right? They're skinny shaming us. :)

@brendagaudette Thanks!

@minigrrll Agree completely, and the lady who said I was too skinny also tells me all the time that I look amazing, so it's hard for me to be too bothered by her comment. I figure it's best to enjoy all these comments now because once the newness of all this wears off it will die down a lot.
  • jvcinv
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    you have done an outstanding job in your weight loss phase Jim, no need for advice at all in the subject

the only suggestion I have is to start lifting weights ASAP, get yourself a gym membership, the gym needs to have, a squat rack, a bench, some olympic barbells and a few hundred pounds worth of plates

deadlifts, squats, military /bench presses, power cleans, pullups, dips, rows 3 to 5 times a week, 3-8 reps range

if you want to avoid the deflated balloon look, unless you have incredible genetics you are gonna have to lift if you want to look decent, giving you the heads up

Okay well thanks for the advice, I've read this type of advice from other sites.
    I'm curious, are you currently doing both OMAD and also following the type of weight work you are prescribing for me above?
    For a brief period about 4 months back I tried to add some weight work, it didn't go well.
    I got overly fatigued, sore and hungry. I also noticed in my running if I went too high on the heart rate I would feel chest discomfort, pain in my arms and shoulders and had no stamina. At that point I realized I needed to stay away from high intensity of any kind, at least until I decide to increase my intake of food.
    By the way, yes I have some deflated balloon look around my belly, but it is slowly diminishing and in any case I'm not sure how many people drop 165 pounds in 11 months straight into chiseled abs.
    I have been doing fairly extensive running mileage and because of that from my chest up and hips down I'm toned and hard as a rock.
    After my trip next week I'm going to post some current before/after pic's, I think you'll see that I'm in relatively decent shape. Some even say "too skinny". :D
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Ooo - can't wait for the before/after pics - so motivating!!
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @jvcinv yes, I never stopped lifting when I started OMAD, I have lifted weights for years

I eat my OMAD at night and workout first thing in the morning, so my glycogen tanks(liver/muscle) are not depleted

you will benefit so much if you started lifting now, because for newbies even when they are in a calorie deficit you will gain muscle!(newbie gains)

I'd suggest to take it easy on running, plenty of chronic runners that have fukked up joints , needing even surgery since running is a high impact activity, I personally avoid it like the plague, only running I do is 11 min warm up in an elliptical machine when I get into the gym haha

look into a strength routine around compound barbell movements, madcow's 5x5, texas method, ice cream fitness, or any other really ,they are all over the internet

edit

and is good you don't have any other problem areas except stomach, and are leaning out nicely everywhere else, that's a good sign

I think being active has a lot to do with it, I saw a morbidly obese youtuber, she had gastric bypass surgery and her weight loss thing was training for a triathlon, lots of swimming running and cycling she had a gigantic pouch at the beginning and that thing shrunk to almost nothing, she attributes her skin shrinking to being active unlike most people who have those surgeries
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    you have done an outstanding job in your weight loss phase Jim, no need for advice at all in the subject

the only suggestion I have is to start lifting weights ASAP, get yourself a gym membership, the gym needs to have, a squat rack, a bench, some olympic barbells and a few hundred pounds worth of plates

deadlifts, squats, military /bench presses, power cleans, pullups, dips, rows 3 to 5 times a week, 3-8 reps range

if you want to avoid the deflated balloon look, unless you have incredible genetics you are gonna have to lift if you want to look decent, giving you the heads up

Okay well thanks for the advice, I've read this type of advice from other sites.
    I'm curious, are you currently doing both OMAD and also following the type of weight work you are prescribing for me above?
    For a brief period about 4 months back I tried to add some weight work, it didn't go well.
    I got overly fatigued, sore and hungry. I also noticed in my running if I went too high on the heart rate I would feel chest discomfort, pain in my arms and shoulders and had no stamina. At that point I realized I needed to stay away from high intensity of any kind, at least until I decide to increase my intake of food.
    By the way, yes I have some deflated balloon look around my belly, but it is slowly diminishing and in any case I'm not sure how many people drop 165 pounds in 11 months straight into chiseled abs.
    I have been doing fairly extensive running mileage and because of that from my chest up and hips down I'm toned and hard as a rock.
    After my trip next week I'm going to post some current before/after pic's, I think you'll see that I'm in relatively decent shape. Some even say "too skinny". :D

High intensity work is anaerobic and needs glucose for fuel (can be used in an anaerobic and aerobic state whereas fat can only be metabolized in an anaerobic state). With your dieting and especially extended fasting, your glycogen levels would be very low and therefore you can't do high intensity training. I could walk for a very long time in a fasted state but couldn't lift very well at all for the same reason (low intensity work fat metabolism could provide the energy but not high intensity lifting). I agree, that you will need to be hitting the weights.

Be careful lifting though. I've hurt myself lifting more than I have running. Some peoples bio-mechanics are suited for running and others aren't. https://www.livescience.com/36241-5-experts-answer-running-bad-knees.html
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Great job Jim! Congratulations :)
  • blambo61
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've seen people who have gotten down to low %bf (7%) after being in the 20's. I think I'm at about 25% right now. I do hope to get a lot lower than that. Weights will have to be a part of it for sure. Probably not very accurate, but I measured out at 3.5% my freshman year in college (I think I might have been 5%). That was after a summer of doing hod carrying (brick mason's laborer) in the Las Vegas sun and then running about 7-miles a day after that (I did hod carrying a couple of summers before than and after school my junior year and ran cross country and track my senior year). Whatever I was, I was extremely lean. I don't want to be that lean again though, I do think I would look sick at that level of leanness at my age. I would like to get to at least 16% minimum though. I was 155-lbs after high school and could carry around two 94-lbs sacks of cement (one on each shoulder then and was about as ripped as a 155-lb, 6' person could be).
  • jvcinv
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    jvcinv wrote: »

High intensity work is anaerobic and needs glucose for fuel (can be used in an anaerobic and aerobic state whereas fat can only be metabolized in an anaerobic state). With your dieting and especially extended fasting, your glycogen levels would be very low and therefore you can't do high intensity training. I could walk for a very long time in a fasted state but couldn't lift very well at all for the same reason (low intensity work fat metabolism could provide the energy but not high intensity lifting). I agree, that you will need to be hitting the weights.

Be careful lifting though. I've hurt myself lifting more than I have running. Some peoples bio-mechanics are suited for running and others aren't. https://www.livescience.com/36241-5-experts-answer-running-bad-knees.html
    On a few occasions I have ran an hour or two after my meal and I could really tell the difference. Typically I am running at 22 hours fasted, or more in some cases.
    Its a matter of timing. If I eat first I'm so full that I need to wait an hour or so to begin so it gets too late. If I run first then eat no problem. When I'm in maintenance I know I'll be able to add some kind of fuel say mid afternoon to enable me to get more intensity out of my workouts. In either case I will add some weight work down the road, but I won't go overboard with it. I'd like to have a regular routine where I'm doing some of the big bar stuff, squats, deadlifts, overhead press, the kind that require full body balancing, not the isolated kind of lifting.
    I'm basically looking to have a toned runners physique with added strength from the lifting.
    And of course not injuring myself is a priority!
  • jvcinv
    Options
    ha20yaan2rzn.jpg
    vwltj930losq.jpg
    current photo

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Looking good!
  • jvcinv
    Options
    Looking good!

Thank you, I have before pics on the first page.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! :)
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    holy crap, you skinny fukk, congrats, looking leannnn
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Jim, your losses and journey are so very impressive and inspirational! Makes my heart happy to see how far you've come and where you're going.

I'd get irritated with the skinny comments, too. My daughter is perfect weight and gets super upset when people say she's too skinny or worse, "You need to eat a banana"--The girl has a bottomless pit! It's just as ugly as people saying things to people overweight and obese. Like a little dig. :-/
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Looking awesome Jim!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration Jim! You look awesome, and are doing amazingly consistently well - Bravo, my friend <3
  • jvcinv
    Options
    I appreciate all the positive comments everyone. Really do.
    Big transformations are possible if you work at it.
  • blambo61
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Jim, You are a rockstar! Nice chiseled chin! Hollywood?! My wife says you look handsome. I'm not telling you where we live!
  • jvcinv
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Jim, You are a rockstar! Nice chiseled chin! Hollywood?! My wife says you look handsome. I'm not telling you where we live!

B):):D
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Looking good, sir! Looking good!