My weight loss saga - Jim

Replies

• jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Lol I honestly don't know how far I went, I'll map it out later on. I thought I was duplicating the route I did last month that came out to 2 hrs 40 min, but I think I must have added a could extra segments this time. When I saw 3 hours my jaw dropped, but it does explain the extra fatigue I felt the final few miles. Had to be longer because my pace was reasonable throughout.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Awesome job, Jim! I can't imagine running that long!
  • jvcinv
    blambo61 wrote: »
    jvcinv wrote: »
    @gomissfitnes @brittdee88 @minigrrl thank you all!

Just cooling down from a 3hr super run this morning. I'm beat.
    I'm taking a couple days off to recover fully.
    Have a great day all.

How far did you make it? That is a very long run. I've never gone that long.
    13.25 miles. Pretty far but not exactly blazing speed.

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Omg that is amazing. I can't even fathom running that long. I couldn't run that long when I was at my most fit... So cool!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    I think you could do like Forest Gump and run across the country! I always tell hubby I want us to walk across the country.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Good job Jim!
  • brittdee88
    That's a cool idea, Kat! I can walk forever, but running? No ma'am!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    brittdee88 wrote: »

Same here - I think I'm from good peasant stock - I can walk and walk and walk, but I am not a runner! I used to do HIIT running on the treadmill, but that was only for 24 minutes (and 4 of those minutes were walking warm up and cool down). That's about my limit!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    minigrrll wrote: »

Same here - I think I'm from good peasant stock - I can walk and walk and walk, but I am not a runner! I used to do HIIT running on the treadmill, but that was only for 24 minutes (and 4 of those minutes were walking warm up and cool down). That's about my limit!

Running distance is an acquired thing. The key is going slow enough so its not hard. You should be able to carry on a conversation with someone while doing it. The problem with most of us is that while we are heavy, we don't have the aerobic capacity to jog at any pace (slower than walking) and be able to not be stressed. In that case, if we want to run, we can get there by doing short 1-min segments (easy not HITT) with walking in-between until we get thin enough and get enough of a cardio capacity to support it. I used to be a runner in my younger days and did several years of running and competing in track and running 5-7 miles easy was like walking then. I wish I could run at a pace now that my warm up pace used to be then, but I'm working at it.
  • jvcinv
    So for some time I've been wrestling with the decision on how to proceed, how to eat, how often to eat, how often to splurge, what should my goals be, etc. After going round on this for weeks I think I had an epiphany on Friday night which gave me the direction.

I had a very rough time sleeping Friday night. It was day 2 of my weekly 71 hour water fast. For the past 16 weeks I have been doing weekly water fasts of either 47 or 71 hour duration. For the past year now I have made it a point to try to listen to the signals from my body. Well on Friday I figured out that the signal my body was sending was "enough with the fasting already". Increasingly I had been feeling more urges to eat, more cravings. This culminated to a head on Friday night when I could not get food out of my mind. I kept waking and immediately started thinking about food, I even had dreams of eating. Earlier before going to bed I was browsing recipe sites and had all these
    ideas swirling in my mind of tasty things to prepare. I even briefly thought about getting up and making something to eat in the middle of the night. It was then when it came to me what I needed to do next, find a balance, and bring harmony to my life. Find a way to eat and exercise which feels good in terms of body and mind, because I did not have that at the moment.
    I decided that the first step to finding this balance would be to end the weekly water fast days and go to a basic daily OMAD. It was like as soon as I made this mental decision I became more calm and relaxed, and fell asleep.

I have read a lot about fasting and when the topic of how long a person can fast comes up they often say that your body will tell you when to eat. Before starving you will get an unmistakably strong hunger. On my extended fasts I never reached that point, having broken them for emotional reasons. Even though I was not doing an extended fast on Friday, the only way I can explain the recent strong hunger obsession was that it was based on an accumulated deficit. Perhaps I was progressively running myself down from an excessive amount of fasting, and my body finally started to send out that unmistakable signal.

So that is it. For the time being in my next phase I'm going to eat every day but still only once.
    I'm going to diversify my meal plans, try some new things.
    My goals on the physical side will be to reduce body fat % and waist size, increase fitness, probably still losing a little weight but that is not a primary goal. But what I will also do is to seek a nice balance, to feel good mentally, physically and to enjoy food again daily in the right proportion to my mental and physical goals. As time passes I will throw in some extra eating during the day, a splurge if you will. Even a an occasional feast day at some point. But I'm going to go step by step. Once I feel I have that balance and stability I will take the next step.

I will still work in some extended fasting into my life, maybe 2-3 times per year for 5-6 days. I do think there are benefits. But I'm going to have my fasting days all clumped together and not every week like I have been. The idea will be like the OMAD plan "do it and be done with it"
    Just like I don't eat throughout the day I'm not going to fast all the time either. When I do I will do it and be done with it all at once. I don't regret having followed the path I did these last 4 months with weekly water fasts, it's just that it's time for me to move on.

Sorry for the wordy post. I just mainly wanted to note how a simple decision to eat every day has brought on a feeling of immediate calmness over me.
  • brittdee88
    minigrrll wrote: »

You know I never thought of it that way! I'm pretty sure there is a historical component to it -- likely tribal. I have walked as much as 16 miles in one go for a fundraising marathon without even really thinking about it. But I can't run for more than 5 minutes without feeling like I'm close to death. But that makes sense if I have more gatherer blood in me. Very interesting.
  • brittdee88
    @jvcinv I think it's great that you're listening to what your body needs and letting it guide you. I think it's a good idea to transition into eating more and fasting less as you need it.
  • jvcinv
    As Bob mentioned it takes a while to get acclimated to running. If I think back to March/April time frame of this year, I was at the time walking and occasionally getting into a little jog for as long as I could sustain it. As I recall in the beginning it might have been as short as 100 yards or so, that's all I could sustain before walking again. But I've been at it 5-6 days per week for 7 months now and to think that yesterday I ran a full half marathon distance without breaking stride once? wow.
    If you keep at it and stay at a slower pace, once your body acclimates and you've built up your cardio you'll be surprised how far you can go.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Great insights Jim! I think your plan sounds like exactly what you need! <3
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    I am a walker too. I can walk forever but running is a different story. I have been thinking I want to start running. I thought about doing a couch to 5K program to get me started. I do have knee issues and I worry about injuring myself.
  • mistymeadows2005
    I am a walker too. I can walk forever but running is a different story. I have been thinking I want to start running. I thought about doing a couch to 5K program to get me started. I do have knee issues and I worry about injuring myself.

Do the C25k but on an elliptical!!! I thought about doing that! I have early-onset osteoarthritis so I fight joint issues too and the elliptical never bothered me :)
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    That is a good idea Steph. I should be able to definitely do that.
  • mistymeadows2005
    That is a good idea Steph. I should be able to definitely do that.

Let me know how it goes! Maybe it'll motivate me! LMAO
  • brittdee88
    That IS a good idea! My doctor cautioned me against running because I have plantar fasciitis, but the low impact elliptical seems like a really good alternative!
  • mistymeadows2005
    That IS a good idea! My doctor cautioned me against running because I have plantar fasciitis, but the low impact elliptical seems like a really good alternative!

AGREED!