We should do another "Meativore May."

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Guys...really? What is in the water today?!

I was going to ask if the moon was out of phase with Saturn or something today...
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    at least I know the quality of the source of that particular concern with this challenge is... and I can completely ignore it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Guys...really? What is in the water today?!

I was going to ask if the moon was out of phase with Saturn or something today...

I feel like I'm in Invasion of the Body Snatchers... :anguished:

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    The only problem with that video is that what we are suggesting is a moderate protein, higher fat way of eating.
    I saw a lot of problems with that video. There weren't any studies mentioned t back up what he is saying. He advocates only 3-4 oz of meat.. he also said that the lean body mass formula for protein is wrong 'doesn't even know where that came from'... HELLO, one google search shows that it was determined based on scientific studies.
    Not someone I will take nutritional advice from.
    Doesn't make his information false. People really love to go after each other.

@johnnylew, I'm not going after him, but anyone who practices medicine in a specific sphere, and chooses to withhold that information, and purports expertise in a field he clearly has no long-standing training in, is automatically suspect, as far as I am concerned.

Put it this way: I set more store by Dr Jason Fung, Dr Sarah Hallsberg and Dr Andreas Eenfeldt, than I do this guy.
    Even 'Butter Bob' is more credible. At least he's completely honest and open about who HE is....

Yeah, because his advice to eat green vegetables is sooo crazy, he must be a quack. Who would listen to that kind of advice....Wow...I am done with this thread.
    I don't think that's what people have an issue with....

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The only problem with that video is that what we are suggesting is a moderate protein, higher fat way of eating.
    I saw a lot of problems with that video. There weren't any studies mentioned t back up what he is saying. He advocates only 3-4 oz of meat.. he also said that the lean body mass formula for protein is wrong 'doesn't even know where that came from'... HELLO, one google search shows that it was determined based on scientific studies.
    Not someone I will take nutritional advice from.
    Doesn't make his information false. People really love to go after each other.

@johnnylew, I'm not going after him, but anyone who practices medicine in a specific sphere, and chooses to withhold that information, and purports expertise in a field he clearly has no long-standing training in, is automatically suspect, as far as I am concerned.

Put it this way: I set more store by Dr Jason Fung, Dr Sarah Hallsberg and Dr Andreas Eenfeldt, than I do this guy.
    Even 'Butter Bob' is more credible. At least he's completely honest and open about who HE is....

Yeah, because his advice to eat green vegetables is sooo crazy, he must be a quack. Who would listen to that kind of advice....Wow...I am done with this thread.
    I don't think that's what people have an issue with....

Ok then do a Google search for "Does Leafy Greens Remove Toxins from the Liver" and 4.4MM results come back. Discredit each of those.

and then Google "does excess protein cause toxins in the liver" 41MM results will come back.

Geez...I picked one video and the back lash. There are literally million of other sources.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @baconslave, You've been watching some Monty Python, haven't you....?

I ate raw beef salad tonight.
    You don't get a whole lot more 'meativore' than that! Hannibal Lechter's got nuthin' on me! :D
  • baconslave
    Options
    @baconslave, You've been watching some Monty Python, haven't you....?

I ate raw beef salad tonight.
    You don't get a whole lot more 'meativore' than that! Hannibal Lechter's got nuthin' on me! :D

:wink: Not half as much as I would like. It's been a while.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Lupins or spam....? As it's the meativore thread, I think I can guess.....
  • baconslave
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    ModHat On

Please move all discussion regarding the benefits of plants, vegetables, and fiber to a different thread. Those topics are off-topic here.

DARN! It took me way too long to peck my post out on the phone, so I missed your post. Sorry about that.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So... I'm trying to figure out the Ketosis/carnivore part.
    If you are keeping carbs to less than 5.... how could you not be in ketosis? Is it that you *could* eat too much protein to kick you out? I can't think of another reason, but that reason would be hard to achieve wouldn't it?
    @fit_goat I get that you are saying that Carnivore is not 'Keto' and I agree with the logic you posted on that statement, But.... wouldn't carnivore end up putting you into ketosis too? What would be the circumstances that it wouldn't lead to ketosis? I think that is the question that I can't figure out.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    ModHat On

Please move all discussion regarding the benefits of plants, vegetables, and fiber to a different thread. Those topics are off-topic here.

DARN! It took me way too long to peck my post out on the phone, so I missed your post. Sorry about that.

Do Lupins count as veg.....?)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    So... I'm trying to figure out the Ketosis/carnivore part.
    If you are keeping carbs to less than 5.... how could you not be in ketosis? Is it that you *could* eat too much protein to kick you out? I can't think of another reason, but that reason would be hard to achieve wouldn't it?
    @fit_goat I get that you are saying that Carnivore is not 'Keto' and I agree with the logic you posted on that statement, But.... wouldn't carnivore end up putting you into ketosis too? What would be the circumstances that it wouldn't lead to ketosis? I think that is the question that I can't figure out.

I can not think of any, nor do I know anyone who has eaten this way and not been in keto. I am open to the possibility that it could happen.

Circumstances that would bring it about? I am thinking it would start with excessive calories (5000+) where the amount of glycerol from the breakdown of fat... etc. Basically, extreme situation where weight loss wouldn't be expected anyway. I am not even 100% sure that it would happen in that case.

For me, ketone levels have been more related to calories-in than anything else (when eating this way). When I was near 4000 calories, that's when I was near 0.9 mmol/L. When I was near 2000 calories, it was closer to 1.5. So, maybe really high calories would kick you out.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    ModHat On

How much are you consuming? Why? What are the benefits you're looking for?

It's a plant, but are you using it in amounts that count as seasoning?
  • baconslave
    Options
    ModHat On

How much are you consuming? Why? What are the benefits you're looking for?

It's a plant, but are you using it in amounts that count as seasoning?

:joy:
    I hadn't seen that one.
    Sorry, Goat, it's a Monty Python skit.

:lol: "Shut up! This is a hold up, not a botany lesson!"
    "So much for the lupins..."
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm only back on keto, Day Three, now, would fat adaptation be a requirement, or a certain length of time adjusting to ketosis again? May isn't that far off, I'm so intrigued by this.....I always was. It is already a struggle getting Bob off my back for not eating fruit..
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I'm only back on keto, Day Three, now, would fat adaptation be a requirement, or a certain length of time adjusting to ketosis again? May isn't that far off, I'm so intrigued by this.....I always was. It is already a struggle getting Bob off my back for not eating fruit..

Nope. You could go from Standard American Diet right to this. It would be a heck of an adaptation, but not worse than SAD to keto. Just keep the electrolytes high.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have learned much from this thread - really. However, I am slow in a couple of areas . . . What is CKD -- chronic kidney disease? Also, I am dense when it comes to macros. I don't have a clue. Shall I read up on macros on a certain website? Thanks, guys.