We should do another "Meativore May."

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
It's been a couple years since the last one. Many of those who participated say it was a positive change in their diet, even some who didn't stay meativore. I can post about why later, but let's keep the first post short and sweet.

Is there any interest at all?

Basic rules are as follows:

For the entire month of May.
  • Eat only from the animal kingdom (meat, eggs, dairy).
  • Seasoning is allowed, not too much.
  • Max carbs is < 5g (watch the dairy and seasoning carbs).
  • No fiber supplements, as they are counter-productive.

Most of the time, the carbs are essentially zero. But, a lot of eggs, dairy, and heavy seasoning (garlic powder, I'm looking at you) can add up. Use only as much of each as you actually need to hit a good flavor profile for the meat.

Coffee, tea, and water are allowed. Artificial sweeteners and "replacement" foods are discouraged. I encourage people to do it without any supplements, but I know that it's so extreme that many people will sleep better with a multi-vitamin or something.

I'm open to answering any questions, concerns, or whatever about this. And, I am sure, some of the others who have done it in the past will also answer questions.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been doing very very well recently! I'm super proud that I haven't been giving in and nibbling the green crap I make the family.
    I've been free of digestive issues for quite a while now.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here is the thread that spawned it all.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10136786/maybe-we-should-have-a-meat-only-may-challenge/p1

I forgot that it was @Dragonwolf 's idea. I know I was talking about, a lot, back around then and figured that I brought it up. But, it was the "Ad Lib April" from that same year which was my thing. I was much more vocal about my views back then. LOL, time has mellowed me out.

Edit: Funny side note, I mention having coconut oil left-over from my keto days in that two-year-old thread. I still have some of that same coconut oil left-over from my keto days. I may have used 4 tablespoons or so since that thread. I'm not anti-coconut oil, although I don't seek it out because it's a plant. It's just that I have grease or butter around and use that preferentially.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    h2hse15j6nt2.jpg

Do these meaty pickles count?

>:) or o:)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    h2hse15j6nt2.jpg

Do these meaty pickles count?

lol, I miss pickles sometimes. I might use some dill juice for flavor, but my favorite kind was bread and butter. Yeah, the kind with sugar in it! Go figure. :lol: So, that's right out.

Pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet, etc. are totally fine. Pickled veggies will have to sit out for the month. Fortunately, they won't spoil.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I might join in. At least for part of it. I seem to be slowly moving further and further away from the animal based diet which I feel healthiest at. I need a reset.

I may use some coconut oil though. I won't be a purist. ;)
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'll do it! I don't even like veggies, I basically just make myself eat them. :p
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I might join in. At least for part of it. I seem to be slowly moving further and further away from the animal based diet which I feel healthiest at. I need a reset.

lol, I left the "no plant oils" off my list this time, as it was the most contentious part of the original proposal last time. I don't think it will have a negative impact, over 30 days. It's certainly not something that would change your results. Coconut oil is probably fine long-term, anyway.

I think vegetable oil, canola, etc. is harmful to health. If you're already eating it, there's really no need to worry about it while doing this 31 day challenge.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think I'll do it. Various things have pulled me away from it and I ought to get back.

I do have a question for you all -- what do you do for the midday meal when you work outside the house? When I did it last time, I worked from home and had the luxury of cooking up a pound of ground meat for lunch. I can shift that to dinner, but I can't fast for that long and need to eat by noon. I tried cooking the ground up (even if only barely) and then reheating it at work, but that was...lackluster. I like being able to eat it right out of the skillet. ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I think I'll do it. Various things have pulled me away from it and I ought to get back.

I do have a question for you all -- what do you do for the midday meal when you work outside the house? When I did it last time, I worked from home and had the luxury of cooking up a pound of ground meat for lunch. I can shift that to dinner, but I can't fast for that long and need to eat by noon. I tried cooking the ground up (even if only barely) and then reheating it at work, but that was...lackluster. I like being able to eat it right out of the skillet. ;)

I actually don't mind a cold burger with cheese. So I'll precook one and just eat it cold if I have a need to pack a meal.
    There's always hard boiled eggs too.
    Meat and cheese roll ups.
    I also love cold ham. Can't wait to cook the one I got for Easter! I feel like I should've bought one just for me so I'd have leftovers all week!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

lol, I left the "no plant oils" off my list this time, as it was the most contentious part of the original proposal last time. I don't think it will have a negative impact, over 30 days. It's certainly not something that would change your results. Coconut oil is probably fine long-term, anyway.

I think vegetable oil, canola, etc. is harmful to health. If you're already eating it, there's really no need to worry about it while doing this 31 day challenge.

LOL I like to cook with coconut oil, and like the MCTs. I won't use it quite as much as usual, but it will show up every few days.

It comes from the "meat" of coconut... Right? Right? ;)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    sv5awqnrua1c.jpg

Cold kielbasa is an easy lunch.
    I like mine with a strip of yellow mustard ;)

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I like this! NOW if i can stick to it is another story lol BUT I can still join if I start out with maybe doing a day a week? And see how many days I can do? ***DISCLAIMER: I will cannot give up sweentner, more like i dont want to :wink: *** Can I still be in? Please?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Hello! I haven't stopped by the group forums in far too long! I've been missing y'all!

This "Meativore May" challenge was life changing for me! I highly recommend it for anyone willing to try it! After two years I'm still primarily Meativore, and don't plan to ever change back to eating the way I did before.

Nice to "see" you. :)

It is liberating to realize one can live healthfully this way. Or it was for me.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I like this! NOW if i can stick to it is another story lol BUT I can still join if I start out with maybe doing a day a week? And see how many days I can do? ***DISCLAIMER: I will cannot give up sweentner, more like i dont want to :wink: *** Can I still be in? Please?

They are "discouraged" but not a deal-breaker. Many people find the sweeteners mess with their hunger signals, intensify cravings, or otherwise make things harder than they need to be.

I get it, really. If you read the original thread, I discuss how giving up the artificial sweeteners was the last thing I was willing to give up. I even had a month-long experiment with them, before giving them up, to justify keeping them.

Still, they aren't recommended. But, it won't be considered a failure, if you keep them.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I might consider trying....I'm pretty close to meativore anyway......Gave up the sweeteners and really only use animal based fats for cooking as it is. Would just have to give up the veggies I do eat currently.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Coffee?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Coffee?

Good question!