We should do another "Meativore May."

Options

Replies

• jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Did we ever get a “why” for doing this? I think I am going to do it for at least 2 weeks. I’m on my 4th week of keto, past the keto flu, but don’t feel like I am nutritional ketosis – breath is fine, energy is blah-ish (normal) but not bad, weight loss has stalled (which is fine, doing this for the energy, feeling satiated and to - hopefully - help with neurological disease, mainly). Maybe this will give me a boost into NK. I am going to have coconut oil because I have so much of it and won’t spend any more money on oils/fats until it’s gone. I AM going to try to cut out my raw cacao – I’m assuming it’s not allowed – and stevia because I think stevia is a bit overrated . . . at least for me - cravings-wise, and not reaching NK.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Edit: anyone who wants to read my blog from eating only ground beef, friend request me. It isn't public because I got tired of dealing with the clowns posting about me dying from scurvy.
    Let me know if you didn't get my request... sometimes navigation on MFP eludes me.

ALSO...is there a setting to make it 'notify' me when someone quotes me? I only get the 'notification' when it uses the @ followed by name outside the quote.

It says we are friends. Can you see the blog when you click the link?

I don't think quoting ever notifies you. Sorry
  • ruthlessflower
    ruthlessflower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay I want to convince my husband to try this. So literally, it's nothing but bacon, beef, chicken and some more bacon for a month? No sides?
  • ruthlessflower
    ruthlessflower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Okay I want to convince my husband to try this. So literally, it's nothing but bacon, beef, chicken and some more bacon for a month? No sides?

My favorite dinner is a steak covered in blue cheese with a side of bunless bacon cheese burger - both cooked in butter, of course.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @FIT_Goat fascinating blog. Were you pretty close to your goal weight? I see that you lost about 10 pds, but I was wondering if that got you to your goal weight.... as in, you were't far from what you wanted to be and it got you there compared to being 50+ pounds away from your goal.
    Most of the time, the more weight you have to lose the easier it comes off when you start a diet and the closer you are to your healthy weight, the longer your body holds onto those few extra pounds.

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I was going to stomp around too about the no alcohol idea....then I found this link: Wow: http://www.boredpanda.com/before-after-sobriety-photos/

I wasn't super successful last year at ALL meat, I have the salad here at work and it seems to be working so far. I am for sure in about giving up alcohol.
    Should be interesting. Thanks for posting.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What do you do for tracking/goals on the food? do you just make sure you stay 5g or less on the dairy/seasoning carbs and make sure you hit your protein minimum and then listen to hunger cues after that(WIP for me on the hunger cues). Does it depend on what point you are - maintenance compared to losing ?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jfmp wrote: »
    Did we ever get a “why” for doing this? I think I am going to do it for at least 2 weeks. I’m on my 4th week of keto, past the keto flu, but don’t feel like I am nutritional ketosis – breath is fine, energy is blah-ish (normal) but not bad, weight loss has stalled (which is fine, doing this for the energy, feeling satiated and to - hopefully - help with neurological disease, mainly). Maybe this will give me a boost into NK. I am going to have coconut oil because I have so much of it and won’t spend any more money on oils/fats until it’s gone. I AM going to try to cut out my raw cacao – I’m assuming it’s not allowed – and stevia because I think stevia is a bit overrated . . . at least for me - cravings-wise, and not reaching NK.

We each have our reasons for why. For the most part, it's because mixed diets helped, but didn't quite remedy everything, though some tried it for the sake of trying it.
    What do you do for tracking/goals on the food? do you just make sure you stay 5g or less on the dairy/seasoning carbs and make sure you hit your protein minimum and then listen to hunger cues after that(WIP for me on the hunger cues). Does it depend on what point you are - maintenance compared to losing ?

You can set the carb goal to 0. Other than that, it's generally encouraged to not worry about macros and whatnot. Just eat meat and don't avoid the fat. This way of eating tends to have a weight normalizing effect.

Eat meat, not too little, mostly fat.
  • jfmp
    Options
    Thanks. Fit_goat had said " I can post about why later", so that's what I was looking for. I have my own goals, but I thought there might be more to it (hence, more motivation).
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    @FIT_Goat fascinating blog. Were you pretty close to your goal weight? I see that you lost about 10 pds, but I was wondering if that got you to your goal weight.... as in, you were't far from what you wanted to be and it got you there compared to being 50+ pounds away from your goal.
    Most of the time, the more weight you have to lose the easier it comes off when you start a diet and the closer you are to your healthy weight, the longer your body holds onto those few extra pounds.

I was heavier than I wanted to be. I think I was near a 29 bmi at the start. And I finished near a 27. I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but my weight was/is pretty stable around a 28 bmi when eating just meat. I certainly don't get below 25, which I am not really trying for anyway.

It wasn't like where I started low carb, a BMI of 36 to 38. The weight comes off faster when that overweight. But it still comes off when closer.

As a man, I don't think 28 is a bad bmi. It used to be the male cutoff for being overweight, before it was decided to make it 25 for everyone.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

I don't track. I should, for this month, but normally I don't. I eat what I want that fits my diet. I don't eat enough dairy or seasoning to go above 5g. I know that mostly from experience from when I did log. I will log, once in a while, if I have a lot of dairy. That is just to be sure I keep it sane.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fit Goat: Does this type of diet affect cholesterol levels that you are aware of? Thanks for being so informative. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Fit Goat: Does this type of diet affect cholesterol levels that you are aware of? Thanks for being so informative. :)

I give blood all the time. My average, non-fasted, cholesterol is 187. That's even after eating a full pound of 75%/25% ground beef. I have numbers going back years, from when I was fat through everything up to this point. My total cholesterol has been remarkably steady. I don't have all the other lipid number, from such a time, but when I have had numbers drawn on this diet everything has been great.

I know my trigs and HDL (the two biggest numbers I am concerned with) are great. I don't know if they were always as good as they are now, or if they improved. In short, I don't believe there is any great effect due to this way of eating. If there is any, it is probably beneficial at least when it comes to ratios of types.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

64933930.jpg

Yeah, no side dishes. Unless you want some bacon or fried/poached egg(s) as a side. You adapt pretty quickly to just having one thing on your plate.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks FG
  • jfmp
    Options
    Thank you!! :)
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm getting excited for this but one question, since I'm technically still a T2D, is there anything I should be looking for in terms of over eating protein (if this truly is an issue, I have my doubts)?