We should do another "Meativore May."

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    jfmp wrote: »
    [*] No fiber supplements, as they are counter-productive.

Is psyllium husk considered a fiber supp? If so, why is it counter-productive? I've been avoiding it, but was going to restart taking.

Absolutely. It is not allowed. It is a plant-product. This is a zero-carb diet, or as near as is possible. It is about removing plants from your diet, aside from incidental amounts in seasonings (although some people remove those as well). Fiber is a carb. It may not have a blood sugar response, but it has a intestinal/bowel effect. One of the primary benefits of this diet is to remove fiber from your diet. It allows you to experience what fiber does, or does not, do to you. I would have never guessed that my constant cycling between diarrhea and constipation (with accompanying cramps and pain) were related to fiber. Not to mention the gas, as removing fiber has removed my ability to fart.

tl;dr: Fiber is 100% a plant product. It's not permitted.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I can second the surprise I felt when I realized that fiber was the source of all of my remaining tummy issues that keto alone didn't fix.
    If you read the Carnivore Credo post from the beginning you'll see where I said that protein was a problem for me. And then I half tried and failed cutting out plants for a little while. Once I finally did it for a few days consistently it was so obvious that fiber, not protein was my problem. But I was so sure it was protein before that.

Here's the link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10323001/the-carnivore-credo
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking a lot about this, and I'm in! I've pretty much been naturally moving to eating this way the past couple of weeks anyway, so why not?! Plus, I'm curious to see the effect it has on my body. For those who do this regularly, what does your daily meal plan look like?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee or maybe have a little half n half in it until I get hungry, which is usually about 2 or 3pm. Then I usually have 3 or 4 eggs fried in bacon grease. Or I'll make bacon or sausage and have 2 eggs. If I'm really hungry I may have some cheese too. Some days I have ground beef and make patties or just cook it crumbled and add cheese and a little seasoning.
    Dinner is about 6:30 and is beef in some form more often than not. Burgers are frequent because we don't have the budget for steak very often. Or I'll cook a beef roast without plants in the crock pot. I'll just make veg for the family separately.
    Sometimes we have chicken wings or chicken breast or pork, sometimes fish... but I'm always less satisfied with those and usually need more food so I'll end up eating cheese and pepperoni after dinner on these less satisfying nights. Or rarely I'll have some full fat cottage cheese. I feel like that's more of a treat...
    sometimes we have breakfast for dinner. I love eggs and could seriously eat a dozen a day with no problem! Lol probably only slightly exaggerating...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    The health benefits are really the only reason I'll try this. I am not a meat lover. Eggs neither. They are okay. Not anything I would ever overeat... well, except pepperoni sticks. I don't enjoy meat enough at this time to make animal products my entire diet but I feel so much better eating that way.

Funny story: the moment I decided to try carnivore for the first time and join that first challenge, I suddenly wanted a giant salad.

I've been known to make a meal out of steamed broccoli with a cheese sauce, and I'm not ashamed. :tongue:

Or your body was saying "I need a salad to get the potassium and other nutrients a salad provides" I am pretty shocked at the response on this one.

Considering I hadn't even started yet, no. It was purely psychological. And once I got started, I didn't look back until a medication experiment threw a wrench in the works.

It was the most success I'd had in my health and weight journey since I had first dropped grains. My weight actually dropped like it was supposed to, and my hormones finally started to balance.
    johnnylew wrote: »
    In my opinion this is pretty irresponsible. Or am I missing something. Just having meat without any vegetables, you wont get any nutrients that the dark leafy greens gives you plus the vegetables flush out the fat and proteins. Hey its your body and go for it if you want. But anyone just looking into a high fat low carb diet might get the wrong impression, this is not a high protein diet. Too much protein spikes insulin. Have fun but I would be out and newbies to the Keto/LCHF should steer clear too.

I won't beat a dead horse about the nutrients, but I do want to say this:

I've struggled with PCOS with insulin resistance for over a decade. My fasting blood glucose had slowly been creeping up and was sitting at close to 110 even on keto.

So, with nothing really to lose, I tried meat only. My primary meat was grass fed bison, a pound of it per day, cooked in a tablespoon or so of butter. Pork was the most common dinner, though chicken made a regular appearance, too. As carnivore diets go, mine was a tad on the lean side at around 25-30% protein.

It was a whopping 130g. Right where my LBM estimates say I should be.

In fact, the only time I got anywhere remotely near 200g was when I consumed 4000 calories in a day I was hauling bags of dirt and mulch around in 80 degree weather. I was still at 25-30% of calories as protein.

My blood sugar dropped to the low 80s and my insulin levels fell below even what medication could get it to. I finally lost weight without much effort. According to all of the blood work, I was and still am no longer insulin resistant.

Also, vegetables don't "flush out fat and protein." You wouldn't want that, anyway. Fat is fuel and hormones and proteins are building blocks.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this is a good idea and will join in with all of you... I have been having carb-creep in the last couple of months and this will be a good way to stifle that! Just have to stock up on the meat sales for the rest of the month and then I will be good-to-go for May. The only thing that I will need to watch is the cheese... 2lbs of cheese a week is kinda over-doing it :smile:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @ccrdragon @canadjineh and not even the carbs --- 2lbs of cheddar in a week is an extra 520 calories per day! :worried:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    But sssooooooo worth it, lol. Cheddar has only 6 grams in a lb.... doable, lol.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    @kirkor I realized that the last time I went thru a 2 1/2 lb block of cheese in a week and until I went back and did the math I couldn't figure out why I gained weight that week... now I only buy the big blocks when we are having family functions and most of it will be shredded for additions to other foods.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am thinking more from the other directions of ONLY 2 lbs of cheese?!?! That would last me 3 days max.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Dairy isn't forbidden, but it can definitely be something people want to watch when eating this way. It can be constipating and it is known to cause weight stalls and other issues. I do better with no cheese. I eat it anyway, because I like it, and I am willing to accept what it does to me.

I do love cheese.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. fresh ground in store 80/20 on sale for 1.99 a pound. Maybe that is my hint I should try it. Seriously considering it.
    How much should you vary your meat? If I do eggs and bacon for morning and beef for the rest of the day for 30 days, is that ok or do I need to do other stuff too?
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mmmm.. fresh ground in store 80/20 on sale for 1.99 a pound. Maybe that is my hint I should try it. Seriously considering it.
    How much should you vary your meat? If I do eggs and bacon for morning and beef for the rest of the day for 30 days, is that ok or do I need to do other stuff too?

That is fine. I've done nothing but ground beef for a month. The Bear would do Chuck steaks alone for months on end. The Andersons have eaten nothing but ribeye for almost two decades.

You don't need variety. You just need fresh meat.

Edit: anyone who wants to read my blog from eating only ground beef, friend request me. It isn't public because I got tired of dealing with the clowns posting about me dying from scurvy.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FIT_Goat <- that is how you get to the blog in question. I'm not sure how easy it is to find through the normal interface.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    But sssooooooo worth it, lol. Cheddar has only 6 grams in a lb.... doable, lol.

I buy the thin bricks because of that. You know the ones that are only an inch thick rather than actual brick size? I seem to cut the same thickness of cheese no matter its size so this way I still feel like I'm not missing out. :grin:

Now sliced cheese? That is waaaay too easy to overeat. nom nom
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I don't know how I'm going to go an entire month without olives, but I'm in.

God, next month is going to be delicious!
  • welsh_cake
    welsh_cake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Edit: anyone who wants to read my blog from eating only ground beef, friend request me. It isn't public because I got tired of dealing with the clowns posting about me dying from scurvy.
    Let me know if you didn't get my request... sometimes navigation on MFP eludes me.

ALSO...is there a setting to make it 'notify' me when someone quotes me? I only get the 'notification' when it uses the @ followed by name outside the quote.