We should do another "Meativore May."

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I'm getting excited for this but one question, since I'm technically still a T2D, is there anything I should be looking for in terms of over eating protein (if this truly is an issue, I have my doubts)?

For one month, I would not worry about it. If, after a month, you are having issues with cravings or blood sugar swings, then yes. Do you check your BGL? If so, monitor it and see if there's a problem. There most likely won't be.
  • welsh_cake
    welsh_cake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in (but gonna start a week early)!!

Can I include Mayo, milk and cream as well as the egg and minimal cheese ? They do come from an animal.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread and I find it interesting and intriguing. I'm not sure I'll join just yet, I'm still adapting to LCHF, being only 18 days back at it. I didn't think I was having any issues with veggies/fiber. I have been having a side of veggies with my dinner each day. It varies from green beans, asparagus, coleslaw, broccoli, lettuce salad, etc. I haven't had any issues with that amount . Last night I made a taco salad, green leaf/ spinach mix, half tomato, guacamole, homemade salsa then there was taco meat and cheese. I have felt bloated and crampy last night and still this morning.

It may be a fluke or coincidence or maybe I just never paid close enough attention and didn't connect the dots. So now I'm leaning towards at least trying. It just feels so strange to not have a vegetable with my dinner. I feel like a naughty child! Haha! I can for sure do this for 10 days, but we are leaving to visit my daughter and her family for 6 days and it may be near impossible to stick with it while there. My daughter already thinks I'm nuts following LCHF.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    welsh_cake wrote: »
    I'm in (but gonna start a week early)!!

Can I include Mayo, milk and cream as well as the egg and minimal cheese ? They do come from an animal.

All of these can be eaten.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just in case... here is a link for you meat eaters: https://goo.gl/oMBqIP
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »

I wonder if this is same Miralax that cavemen ate? Or the Inuit?
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    jfmp wrote: »
    Did we ever get a “why” for doing this? I think I am going to do it for at least 2 weeks. I’m on my 4th week of keto, past the keto flu, but don’t feel like I am nutritional ketosis – breath is fine, energy is blah-ish (normal) but not bad, weight loss has stalled (which is fine, doing this for the energy, feeling satiated and to - hopefully - help with neurological disease, mainly). Maybe this will give me a boost into NK. I am going to have coconut oil because I have so much of it and won’t spend any more money on oils/fats until it’s gone. I AM going to try to cut out my raw cacao – I’m assuming it’s not allowed – and stevia because I think stevia is a bit overrated . . . at least for me - cravings-wise, and not reaching NK.

Why. That's the big question. Lots of people have different reasons. The potential reasons, listed below, are not comprehensive.
    • Weight normalization
      Yeah, you will probably lose fat, if you're over-fat. You'll probably gain some weight, if you're underweight. You'll approach a healthy weight for your body.

Probably? This is something I'm worried about because I am still quite obese and was just getting back to keto. Will this have an adverse effect?
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I wonder if this is same Miralax that cavemen ate? Or the Inuit?
    Lol @Sunny_Bunny_ ! Exactly!
    This poster really seems to have am issue with zero carb. My two cents, if I wanted said information, I would've asked lol Don't got nothing nice to say, don't say it AND don't knock it till u try it! ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

Removing fiber fixes constipation, it doesn't cause it.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jfmp wrote: »
    Did we ever get a “why” for doing this? I think I am going to do it for at least 2 weeks. I’m on my 4th week of keto, past the keto flu, but don’t feel like I am nutritional ketosis – breath is fine, energy is blah-ish (normal) but not bad, weight loss has stalled (which is fine, doing this for the energy, feeling satiated and to - hopefully - help with neurological disease, mainly). Maybe this will give me a boost into NK. I am going to have coconut oil because I have so much of it and won’t spend any more money on oils/fats until it’s gone. I AM going to try to cut out my raw cacao – I’m assuming it’s not allowed – and stevia because I think stevia is a bit overrated . . . at least for me - cravings-wise, and not reaching NK.

Why. That's the big question. Lots of people have different reasons. The potential reasons, listed below, are not comprehensive.
    • Weight normalization
      Yeah, you will probably lose fat, if you're over-fat. You'll probably gain some weight, if you're underweight. You'll approach a healthy weight for your body.

Probably? This is something I'm worried about because I am still quite obese and was just getting back to keto. Will this have an adverse effect?

Weight and health are related, but not directly. This diet tends to fix the most critical issues first. If weight is your most critical issue (likely if you are really obese), it will be one of the first things to change. If you're just a little chubby with severe metabolic syndrome, insufficient muscles, and weak bones than the extra adipose tissue is not a priority. It would be like watering your plants while the house burns down.

The more overweight you are, the more likely you will lose. In any case, a month is almost no time at all. If you don't lose as much as you want, you haven't really set yourself back or lost much time.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Please do not start this crap (:tongue:) today, y'all.
    I was never constipated one single day in the 1.5 YEARS I was keto. I really didn't ever have more than 10g fiber in a day EVER. If I even got that high. I can't imagine eliminating that small amount would make things any worse. Before I went keto, I had IBS-C. Since I've gone to plain low-carb, I must keep the magnesium and probiotics up or I have trouble with it again.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I can for sure do this for 10 days, but we are leaving to visit my daughter and her family for 6 days and it may be near impossible to stick with it while there. My daughter already thinks I'm nuts following LCHF.

Doing it for a short period of time can backfire. You end up reaching the point where you are so sick of the meat that you stop doing it, and then you remain convinced that you're not able to do it. A month is past that point, periods of a week to two weeks are right in that window. That's something that Stefansson talked about a lot; how people would probably have given up meat if given the change early in the process, although none would who had done it 6 months or longer.

zwnu51nyanqq.png

• fatblatta
    Options

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

For some maybe. My personal experience is it causes terrible constipation. And I am not alone. Many people complain about constipation on low carb. If you don't account for this for some people you are doing great harm. The gastro doctor actually told me you can still do low carb, just use Miralax if you need it.

A lot of people here recommend just taking more magnesium. This is horrible advice as well. If someone has CKD they can't eliminate it and can overdose. This can cause coma and death. Check it out. If you have CKD ask your doctor.

I better keep my mouth shut or appear stupid? Nice. Very nice for a moderator. Maybe you should try to be unbiased and less opinionated. And keep your mouth shut or remove all doubt too.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Miralax isn't fiber either, btw. MiraLAX® contains polyethylene glycol 3350, which is an osmotic laxative drug product used to treat occasional constipation.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    And I wasn't being rude injecting into your meat party. I was trying to be kind and helpful for those who follow this path and get all stopped up and grumpy. I'm sure of one thing. No fiber makes people opinionated, cranky and full of you know what.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    :warning:

Let's remember the Community Guidelines here folks.
    MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. ...
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

http://myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

For some maybe. My personal experience is it causes terrible constipation. And I am not alone. Many people complain about constipation on low carb. If you don't account for this for some people you are doing great harm. The gastro doctor actually told me you can still do low carb, just use Miralax if you need it.

A lot of people here recommend just taking more magnesium. This is horrible advice as well. If someone has CKD they can't eliminate it and can overdose. This can cause coma and death. Check it out. If you have CKD ask your doctor.

I better keep my mouth shut or appear stupid? Nice. Very nice for a moderator. Maybe you should try to be unbiased and less opinionated. And keep your mouth shut or remove all doubt too.

Low carb is NOT carnivore. Even Keto is NOT carnivore. There are plenty of constipation-causing, fiber-filled foods that are acceptable in keto and low-carb diets. There's also a tendency to overload on cheese and other binding foods. I am not going to try to be unbiased and less opinionated in an area where I do know what I am talking about and you're stirring up stuff in.

I do not need to tolerate or accept bad or misleading information just because I am a moderator (not even a moderator / just a group Leader) and you think that prohibits me from speaking my mind.
    Miralax isn't fiber either, btw. MiraLAX® contains polyethylene glycol 3350, which is an osmotic laxative drug product used to treat occasional constipation.

Do you routinely recommend drugs to large groups of strangers on the internet?
    And I wasn't being rude injecting into your meat party. I was trying to be kind and helpful for those who follow this path and get all stopped up and grumpy. I'm sure of one thing. No fiber makes people opinionated, cranky and full of you know what.

It's best that you move along and post in threads where your opinion is wanted. I don't post in vegetarian threads. You clearly have issues with the way I eat. It's popped up in other threads and areas. Just move along.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    ...Mayo
    ... come from an animal.

wut? Only like 10% of mayo is the egg, the rest is oil.

• welsh_cake
    welsh_cake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    ...Mayo
    ... come from an animal.

wut? Only like 10% of mayo is the egg, the rest is oil.

I meant derived from animal based products, of which egg is (even if only about 10%) ;)