We should do another "Meativore May."

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It really is amazing. I would have never predicted that fiber caused such major issues for me, if I hadn't tried this. You never know. Some of the things I attribute to this way of eating are almost magical. Some of the results others have seen are also near beyond belief. There's very few solid studies of people who eat this way, but those support it. There was one, recently, about Crohn's (sp) being almost completely in remission when eating this way.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here's the study I was talking about: http://www.ijcasereportsandimages.com/archive/early_view_articles/early-view-pdfs/773_Z01_2016040099_CR_EV.pdf

My favorite quote
    (Line 298) The significant improvement seen in the last laboratory exam also indicates that the paleolithic ketogenic diet is most effective when containing no plant components at all.

As I've said, multiple times, my gut responds to even small amounts of plant matter. My wife can tell, pretty rapidly, if I have eaten off my diet by how my gut sounds and acts. Plus, I fart a lot when I eat plants. I almost never fart when eating just meat. The farts will totally give me away.

Edit: That whole study is worth reading. It's quite amazing the results the young boy gets from changing his diet. From being on the verge of surgery, because the drugs don't resolve his problems, to being completely off the drugs and in remission. And, the way they implement the diet (no vegetable oils, no dairy, no eggs, no supplements, etc.) would be my recommended way to do the diet, if you wanted maximum results.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It really is amazing. I would have never predicted that fiber caused such major issues for me, if I hadn't tried this. You never know. Some of the things I attribute to this way of eating are almost magical. Some of the results others have seen are also near beyond belief. There's very few solid studies of people who eat this way, but those support it. There was one, recently, about Crohn's (sp) being almost completely in remission when eating this way.

I agree....I actually thought meat was the cause of a lot of my digestive issues, but now know that is not the case at all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The health benefits are really the only reason I'll try this. I am not a meat lover. Eggs neither. They are okay. Not anything I would ever overeat... well, except pepperoni sticks. I don't enjoy meat enough at this time to make animal products my entire diet but I feel so much better eating that way.

For me these challenges are nice because it seems to take me closer and closer to eating the way that agrees with my body the most. Meat is becoming a larger and larger part of my diet. I am slowly growing to like it more. Perhaps eventually it will become one of my favorites. Maybe.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I love veggies. Don't assume that I hate them. I was a vegetarian in my fat-life. There few veggies that I don't love. I have come to accept a hard truth, my love of vegetables does not stop them from making me sick and destroying my health.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love veggies too.
    If you dig back over a year ago into posts about constipation you'll see me blaming cheese and protein for my issues I kept having.
    Then I did the All Animal April Challenge last year completely out of curiosity.
    Wouldn't you know that my constipation and heavy bloated gut cleared right up!!!!
    I can eat all the cheese and protein I want it seems as long as I eat no fiber!
    Fiber was the culprit!
    So if you see me suggesting adding fiber to a constipated gut doesn't make sense in some future post, you'll understand I'm trying to help someone not suffer what I had been suffering.
    And if you say "everyone needs fiber", we are gonna have a problem. ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I would be partly in, except not going to give up diet soda (might try to cut back, though). Also, may end up with some small amounts of sauces and veggies on bun-less burgers, but will try to limit that. This is what I did for the entire month of March. And pickles / pickle juice if I need the electrolytes.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I seriously want to try this! Thanks for your initial post. Question: Why is fiber (I take Metamucil) a no-no? Muchas gracias.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In my opinion this is pretty irresponsible. Or am I missing something. Just having meat without any vegetables, you wont get any nutrients that the dark leafy greens gives you plus the vegetables flush out the fat and proteins. Hey its your body and go for it if you want. But anyone just looking into a high fat low carb diet might get the wrong impression, this is not a high protein diet. Too much protein spikes insulin. Have fun but I would be out and newbies to the Keto/LCHF should steer clear too.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    The health benefits are really the only reason I'll try this. I am not a meat lover. Eggs neither. They are okay. Not anything I would ever overeat... well, except pepperoni sticks. I don't enjoy meat enough at this time to make animal products my entire diet but I feel so much better eating that way.

Funny story: the moment I decided to try carnivore for the first time and join that first challenge, I suddenly wanted a giant salad.

I've been known to make a meal out of steamed broccoli with a cheese sauce, and I'm not ashamed. :tongue:

Or your body was saying "I need a salad to get the potassium and other nutrients a salad provides" I am pretty shocked at the response on this one.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    In my opinion this is pretty irresponsible. Or am I missing something. Just having meat without any vegetables, you wont get any nutrients that the dark leafy greens gives you plus the vegetables flush out the fat and proteins. Hey its your body and go for it if you want. But anyone just looking into a high fat low carb diet might get the wrong impression, this is not a high protein diet. Too much protein spikes insulin. Have fun but I would be out and newbies to the Keto/LCHF should steer clear too.

Yes, you are missing some things:
    1. I get micro-nutrients from vitamins and animal products also contain micro-nutrients from iron to vitamin C and in between.

2. Animal products only =/= high protein unless you are doing it wrong. To be fair, if I only ate pollack for all my calories and nothing else, then you might be correct. Most of us eating meat only are eating mostly fatty meats, though. Even though my calorie intake is incredibly low, I still end up with a lot of fat along with a moderate protein consumption.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    @midwesterner85 thanks - I am feeling a little more comfortable- but newbies will see this as "eat as much meat as I possibly can"
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I don't know what nutrients are in vegetables that aren't in meat or what this "flushing out of fat and protein" is.

Eating an all animal or all meat diet doesn't necessarily make it high protein. Think about it. If you replace your 20g carbs with 20g protein you might eat a couple extra eggs a day or 3oz or so more meat. Or maybe you increase protein by only 10g and get an extra 5g of fat to offset the carb calories you're not eating. It's only 80 calories we're talking about here.
    Too much protein spiking insulin..??? It doesn't really matter and it doesn't really happen like it seems you're understanding. Too much fat also spikes insulin. Too much energy in any form prompts insulin to store extra energy.
    I understand why you think that though. That's what you read everywhere. But there's real science out there and ways for each individual to determine how much is too much for them because it varies widely.

As far as nutrients go. Meat actually contains every essential nutrient you need.
    Plants actually do not.
    If you were to eat a vegan diet, you would need to supplement several vitamins in order to stay alive. B12 for example.
    If you meat only diet you need not supplement anything.

So, there's no need for your warning to newbies to steer clear.
    Perhaps it would be wise to learn a little more about the nutrients that meat and vegetables contain then you'll understand that vegetables are not essential and to many people are actually harmful.

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/vegetables/
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Funny story: the moment I decided to try carnivore for the first time and join that first challenge, I suddenly wanted a giant salad.

I've been known to make a meal out of steamed broccoli with a cheese sauce, and I'm not ashamed. :tongue:

Or your body was saying "I need a salad to get the potassium and other nutrients a salad provides" I am pretty shocked at the response on this one.

Potassium is in all kinds of foods including chicken, pork, beef, eggs and dairy products.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @midwesterner85 thanks - I am feeling a little more comfortable- but newbies will see this as "eat as much meat as I possibly can"

Have you ever tried to eat nothing but meat, for an extended period of time, and overeat on it? It isn't easy. To tell people to "eat as much meat as [they] possibly can" is pretty good advice. What they actually will end up eating is likely a completely reasonable amount.

It is really difficult to get too much protein eating fatty meats. You just get too full and done before it happens. You can try sticking with really lean meats, and probably overeat protein; but, you will know pretty quick that you need more fat. You will feel it.

For more information, I recommend reading "The Fat of the Land." I will post the link later. Most of your concerns are addressed there. It also shows what it takes to get too much protein (lean meat still needs to be boiled and drained to get all the fat out) and the side-effects you would see. That way someone would know, but I reiterate that it is not likely.

This way of eating is not dangerous or irresponsible. I wish it had been recommended for me sooner, and I had more people doing it around me when I started. There is nothing in plants, that we need for good health, that is not also abundant in meat. Usually, the meat has the form most useful for us already. Plants don't flush out proteins and fat. I am confused as to why that would even be desirable.

Finally, keto and this way of eating are similar but not the same thing. We don't worry about LCHF macros or ideas. We accept insulin for what it is, a necessary and beneficial hormone that misbehaves for many people in the presence of high carbohydrates. Yes, protein will raise it. That is not a bad thing in someone who is metabolically healthy. It is not comparable to the increase seen when we gorge on bread.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ did a good job of summarizing some of my other points.

I recommend reading that study I posted above as well as the PDF of "The Fat of the Land." This goes for everyone thinking of doing this. The hardest part of this is mental, and the subconscious belief that you may actually be hurting yourself. Reading these documents helps to alleviate many concerns.

Note the fact that in both of these documents it's all animal meat/fat with no supplements, plant oils, vegetables, fruits, dairy, eggs, etc. In both of these documents, you find no evidence of deficiency or suffering**. In both cases the health of the subjects is not harmed by eating like this. Both of these documents deal with scientific studies. Although, "The Fat of the Land" is a book about the study. You can find the original Stefansson study here, also, if the study is all you want to read. It's from the early 20th century, which tells you how long we've know that eating meat (even only meat) isn't harmful.

** Edit: You will actually find some account of suffering in Stefansson's account. They forced him to eat very lean meat, to experience protein sickness, and he was ill from that. But, once he went back on a normal fatty meat diet, he was fine.
  • jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options

[*] No fiber supplements, as they are counter-productive.

Is psyllium husk considered a fiber supp? If so, why is it counter-productive? I've been avoiding it, but was going to restart taking.