Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    in Jason Fung's book, "The Obesity Code" he talks about how some artificial sweeteners can elevate your insulin as much as sugar. If that is the case, then I think it is much better to not drink the stuff. Fat metabolism slows with high insulin and you will therefore get hungry to satisfy the bodies energy needs (the insulin will deplete the sugars in the blood and if fat metabolism is shut down, you won't have ketones to run off of either).

Yeah, I read that book last week. I think I'm feeling less hungry this week when I'm fasting... I'm not 100% sure though - it could just be that I think I should feel less hungry so I feel less hungry - a placebo type effect! But I'm definitely fasting very clean now.

You know I will be getting that book, too, now. I read Delay, Don't Deny last night and absolutely loved it and between that and after getting some really good feedback from members of the IF group the author has, I think I'll be back on OMAD. So funny, because I don't know if @blambo61 knows this or not, but it sounds like he did OMAD like that author. I just didn't know how to work Bob's sound advice into eating more. But, my temporary freak out about not eating enough calories--which I shall keep my mouth shut on from now on--is over. Think I'll open my window later in early evening vs afternoon to late afternoon though. I'll close it when I'm fully satisfied. :-)
    Omg so annoying. I just wrote a long answer to your post on my stupid iPad and hit the wrong button and lost it all... Sob...

Will have to write it again tomorrow when I'm at my PC... Don't have the fortitude to do it again on iPad!!

Btw - I commented about the podcasts having info about the calories in and fat burning on your FB post in case you didn't realise that was me!!

Ha, yay! Now I know it's you and thanks. So many responded that I wasn't paying attention to names when replying. I didn't have time to listen to the podcasts the last couple of days, but the hubby is back offshore now :(, so I can get back to them. I felt like such a dunce after getting the book. But, I know now! Hahaha

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    in Jason Fung's book, "The Obesity Code" he talks about how some artificial sweeteners can elevate your insulin as much as sugar. If that is the case, then I think it is much better to not drink the stuff. Fat metabolism slows with high insulin and you will therefore get hungry to satisfy the bodies energy needs (the insulin will deplete the sugars in the blood and if fat metabolism is shut down, you won't have ketones to run off of either).

Yeah, I read that book last week. I think I'm feeling less hungry this week when I'm fasting... I'm not 100% sure though - it could just be that I think I should feel less hungry so I feel less hungry - a placebo type effect! But I'm definitely fasting very clean now.

You know I will be getting that book, too, now. I read Delay, Don't Deny last night and absolutely loved it and between that and after getting some really good feedback from members of the IF group the author has, I think I'll be back on OMAD. So funny, because I don't know if @blambo61 knows this or not, but it sounds like he did OMAD like that author. I just didn't know how to work Bob's sound advice into eating more. But, my temporary freak out about not eating enough calories--which I shall keep my mouth shut on from now on--is over. Think I'll open my window later in early evening vs afternoon to late afternoon though. I'll close it when I'm fully satisfied. :-)

I don't know if I have any good advice or not but I've basically done the minimum that would work for me. The one plate rule would have been extremely hard for me to follow. That rule for me would be much harder than for a lady 2/3rds my size. I just ate ad libitum in my 3-hr eating window and eat good food then and fasted for 21-hrs each day. I typically had one splurge day for my sanity. That is about it.

Eating ad libitum in a 3-hr eating window will probably not work well for a lot of people and they will overeat. If that didnt' work for me, I would just shorten the window and still eat ad libitum in an attempt to reduce the calories. Getting full is essential for me for sustainability and I can probably do that with 1 1/2 plates but not one. I don't need to graze for 3-hrs I think but if I can get away with it, why not. Again, if I couldn't get away with it, I would have reduced the eating window but I would get full that initial sitting.

Getting full for the initial sitting might not work for a lot of people either (even with not grazing afterwards) due to some being able to really put it down. I would have to do the one-plate rule if I was in that catagory.

I've strayed a bit more now with my workout days doing a 16:8 on them. If a person is really heavy and has to choose between eating lunch on workout days and losing slower, I would concentrate on losing the weight 1st most likely and then worry about the workouts. If you can do both (OMAD each day and working out), then that is great. People like me that are not real far from where they want to be I think can take more leeway with what they do.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    These are great points, @blambo61!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

So what I was trying to say yesterday before my iPad ate my response (and I'm sure it was much more insightful last night when I had wine flowing through my veins!) was that I am the exact opposite to you - I get super worried that I have overeaten and that's when I feel the pull to have to enter my calories in MFP. I can so easily go over my calories in even a fairly short eating window (like an hour!) if I'm not mindful.

The thing is, I definitely don't want to be worrying about calories for the rest of my life, so I'm trying to wean myself off the crazy counting and just eat. It's freaking hard though and I totally understand where you are coming from with your temporary freak outs!

I do figure though that I have more than enough fat to tide me over and hopefully the whole theory about burning fat rather than glucose after a certain time in a fasted state is true - it sure seems to have a lot of science to back it up, so I'm going to go with it!

I also think (and this may be my imagination, placebo effect, who knows) that my appetite has gone down in the 2 weeks or so that I've been fasting "clean" (no sweet tastes (diet drinks) and no milk in coffee).

I'm hoping that trusting my body to tell me how much food it needs is the key. And it some ways, for me, it HAS to be, otherwise I'm totally screwed because I don't want to spend the rest of my life obsessing about food and weight. It's already taken up way to much of my head space and isn't welcome here any more!! :)

I do have to learn to trust myself and that's why I need the data right now - not every day, but every few days and hopefully it will become less and less necessary as time goes on. One day I want to get rid of the damn scale too!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain babe *sigh* - here's my thing...I'd rather give myself an extra hour or two to graze on things after my main meal and count the calories, then TRULY restrict myself to one hours - I suppose that's just personal preference. That being said, I probably will log most of the time for the rest of my life because, like you, I can put away WAY MORE CALORIES even in an HOUR than most. I could get up to 3k with NO problem or second thought. I don't mind logging though, so I suppose that's an important thing to note.

You're doing great babe! Hope your Saturday is going well!!! (I got that right, yes? It's Sat there?)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    I feel your pain babe *sigh* - here's my thing...I'd rather give myself an extra hour or two to graze on things after my main meal and count the calories, then TRULY restrict myself to one hours - I suppose that's just personal preference. That being said, I probably will log most of the time for the rest of my life because, like you, I can put away WAY MORE CALORIES even in an HOUR than most. I could get up to 3k with NO problem or second thought. I don't mind logging though, so I suppose that's an important thing to note.

You're doing great babe! Hope your Saturday is going well!!! (I got that right, yes? It's Sat there?)

ME TOO - it kind of shocks me that people have a problem getting in calories. NEVER HAPPENED to me. I'm not sure that I've EVER lost my appetite, even when sick! Hahahaha...

Saturday morning, yes m'am! You have an awesome Friday night!
  • blambo61
    Options

So what I was trying to say yesterday before my iPad ate my response (and I'm sure it was much more insightful last night when I had wine flowing through my veins!) was that I am the exact opposite to you - I get super worried that I have overeaten and that's when I feel the pull to have to enter my calories in MFP. I can so easily go over my calories in even a fairly short eating window (like an hour!) if I'm not mindful.

The thing is, I definitely don't want to be worrying about calories for the rest of my life, so I'm trying to wean myself off the crazy counting and just eat. It's freaking hard though and I totally understand where you are coming from with your temporary freak outs!

I do figure though that I have more than enough fat to tide me over and hopefully the whole theory about burning fat rather than glucose after a certain time in a fasted state is true - it sure seems to have a lot of science to back it up, so I'm going to go with it!

I also think (and this may be my imagination, placebo effect, who knows) that my appetite has gone down in the 2 weeks or so that I've been fasting "clean" (no sweet tastes (diet drinks) and no milk in coffee).

I'm hoping that trusting my body to tell me how much food it needs is the key. And it some ways, for me, it HAS to be, otherwise I'm totally screwed because I don't want to spend the rest of my life obsessing about food and weight. It's already taken up way to much of my head space and isn't welcome here any more!! :)

I do have to learn to trust myself and that's why I need the data right now - not every day, but every few days and hopefully it will become less and less necessary as time goes on. One day I want to get rid of the damn scale too!

I believe an average male only stores about 1600 cals of glycogen in the muscles and liver and the body doesn't like to run out of it. When the levels or rates (?) of glycogen get low enough the body is going to do gluconeogenesis to get some more glucose. At my BMR of about 2000 cals, I would run out out glycogen everyday if no gluconeogenesis were happening (while fasting). I'm sure the longer the fast, the more fat is burned. I've also read that gluconeogenisis is only 57% efficient in producing the glucose. If true, I think that would be why fasting works well (in addition to helping restrict the number of calories going into the mouth).
  • minigrrll
    Options

I believe an average male only stores about 1600 cals of glycogen in the muscles and liver and the body doesn't like to run out of it. When the levels or rates (?) of glycogen get low enough the body is going to do gluconeogenesis to get some more glucose. At my BMR of about 2000 cals, I would run out out glycogen everyday if no gluconeogenesis were happening (while fasting). I'm sure the longer the fast, the more fat is burned. I've also read that gluconeogenisis is only 57% efficient in producing the glucose. If true, I think that would be why fasting works well (in addition to helping restrict the number of calories going into the mouth).

Very interesting - I have to say I am starting to be more persuaded that the fasting effect on fat burning is more significant than I originally thought...
  • blambo61
    Options

Very interesting - I have to say I am starting to be more persuaded that the fasting effect on fat burning is more significant than I originally thought...

I am definitely not an expert on this stuff but these are my conclusions thinking about the CICO equation and getting into it on MFP general board with people discussing this.

Right now I think a better equation (energy balance) is (your a math person and so am I so I will take some liberty here):

CI * Nd - (BMR + Activity) - other effects

Nd is some digestive efficiency number ranging from (0-1). Not all calories are digested. Poop has calories in it (sorry about that). The other effects are when fat is liberated but not due to an energy demand by the body (some drugs do this). Maybe ACV fits in this catagory. BMR is a moving target effected by a lot of things also.

A real model of all this would turn the above into a differential equation with each term above being a time derivative. There would be a lot of feedback loops showing things like gluconeogenisis providing calories to the blood stream (CI * Nd). There would be saturation and rate limits also in these loops. A person can only gain fat so fast not matter how much is eaten due to some of these rate limits. A competitive eater does not turn all the calories eaten in a competition to calories in the blood stream, a lot of it is just not used and excreted.

I've done a bit of dynamics systems modeling in the past and from that background, I can see that there is no way the simple CICO model is all there is to it. And no thermodyamics laws are broken making that statement also (I've studied a fair amount of thermodynamics).

Now the CICO model is very useful though cause it sets bounds on things. For instance, we can only gain as much as a surplus (due to not being able to generate fat from nothing - thermodynamics). So that is an upper limit. But we don't have to gain all of the surplus (see equation above and discussion). Also we MUST lose as much as a deficit (also cause the energy had to come from somewhere - thermodynamics) . That doesn't mean we can't lose more. That is a lower limit on the weight loss. The equation above even shows a person could eat at a slight surplus and still be able to lose weight!

CICO is a very useful simplified model and you can't go wrong using it (as long as you don't drive your BMR too low by never filling up - I think a lot of small meals are more likely to do this than tanking up with OMAD) but it isn't the whole story!

I've been sick all day yesterday and this morning so instead of laying down in bead watching the clock, I went online.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options

I am definitely not an expert on this stuff but these are my conclusions thinking about the CICO equation and getting into it on MFP general board with people discussing this.

Right now I think a better equation (energy balance) is (your a math person and so am I so I will take some liberty here):

CI * Nd - (BMR + Activity) - other effects

Nd is some digestive efficiency number ranging from (0-1). Not all calories are digested. Poop has calories in it (sorry about that). The other effects are when fat is liberated but not due to an energy demand by the body (some drugs do this). Maybe ACV fits in this catagory. BMR is a moving target effected by a lot of things also.

A real model of all this would turn the above into a differential equation with each term above being a time derivative. There would be a lot of feedback loops showing things like gluconeogenisis providing calories to the blood stream (CI * Nd). There would be saturation and rate limits also in these loops. A person can only gain fat so fast not matter how much is eaten due to some of these rate limits. A competitive eater does not turn all the calories eaten in a competition to calories in the blood stream, a lot of it is just not used and excreted.

I've done a bit of dynamics systems modeling in the past and from that background, I can see that there is no way the simple CICO model is all there is to it. And no thermodyamics laws are broken making that statement also (I've studied a fair amount of thermodynamics).

Now the CICO model is very useful though cause it sets bounds on things. For instance, we can only gain as much as a surplus (due to not being able to generate fat from nothing - thermodynamics). So that is an upper limit. But we don't have to gain all of the surplus (see equation above and discussion). Also we MUST lose as much as a deficit (also cause the energy had to come from somewhere - thermodynamics) . That doesn't mean we can't lose more. That is a lower limit on the weight loss. The equation above even shows a person could eat at a slight surplus and still be able to lose weight!

CICO is a very useful simplified model and you can't go wrong using it (as long as you don't drive your BMR too low by never filling up - I think a lot of small meals are more likely to do this than tanking up with OMAD) but it isn't the whole story!

I've been sick all day yesterday and this morning so instead of laying down in bead watching the clock, I went online.

Bob I like to think I'm pretty smart in general, and fairly knowledgeable in the nutrition area but your posts like this make my mind spin LOL smarty pants :p
  • blambo61
    Options
    I don't know much at all about physiology unfortunately, but I do know some about math and physics. So we can all learn from each other!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    So a bit of an uptick for me over the weekend so far (as usual!)... Nothing to worry about.

We had Indian (so good) and wine on Friday night and last night had pizza (so not-good). The pizza was terrible, soggy and just not nice. This is after putting "Extra crispy, almost burnt" in the instructions - usually they do that, but not this time! I put it in a hot oven when it got here (lucky the oven was hot as I'd just roasted some cabbage...) and it was at least crispy when we ate it. But it was not good pizza for some reason. We still ate (way too much of) it.

I have to say, I definitely felt cheated on my OMAD - I don't like to waste a meal on something not nice, that's for sure.

kwk9rk70jtvz.png
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    So a bit of an uptick for me over the weekend so far (as usual!)... Nothing to worry about.

We had Indian (so good) and wine on Friday night and last night had pizza (so not-good). The pizza was terrible, soggy and just not nice. This is after putting "Extra crispy, almost burnt" in the instructions - usually they do that, but not this time! I put it in a hot oven when it got here (lucky the oven was hot as I'd just roasted some cabbage...) and it was at least crispy when we ate it. But it was not good pizza for some reason. We still ate (way too much of) it.

I have to say, I definitely felt cheated on my OMAD - I don't like to waste a meal on something not nice, that's for sure.

kwk9rk70jtvz.png

Virtual hug from me to you! Had the same kind of day, my pizza tasted like cardboard *kitten*. Lol

I have a tiny uptick this weekend as well. Isn't it great to know these things are expected? So much nicer not to panic. :)
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Reading reading your thread Sarah! congrats for more weight drop!
    don´t know what CICO is...
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Delay, Don't Deny and Obesity Code. Good recommendations? I read the Complete Guide to Fasting and I would like some other material to read.
  • blambo61
    edited July 2017
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    Reading reading your thread Sarah! congrats for more weight drop!
    don´t know what CICO is...

CICO is calories in calories out. A simple energy balance equation.

CI-CO = fat gain or loss
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Delay, Don't Deny and Obesity Code. Good recommendations? I read the Complete Guide to Fasting and I would like some other material to read.

I'd recommend both. Delay Don't Deny is a very quick read - she sort of summarizes a lot of the science from other books and studies etc. The Obesity Code is a bit longer but very interesting....

• minigrrll
    Options

kwk9rk70jtvz.png

Virtual hug from me to you! Had the same kind of day, my pizza tasted like cardboard *kitten*. Lol

I have a tiny uptick this weekend as well. Isn't it great to know these things are expected? So much nicer not to panic. :)
    That sucks about the pizza! Maybe it wasn't a pizza weekend!!!

I had (more) Indian last night and it was beyond delicious... Also saw more uptick on the scale, which was totally expected with the amount of Naan bread (both garlic and cheese) I ate. It's just so good... I actually had a stomach ache from being too full. I definitely don't like that feeling and need to take steps to stop it happening again.. Like when Darcy (my partner) says "do you want another piece of bread?" and I have already made the decision to stop eating because I'm full... Might not be a good idea to grab that piece of bread from him and shovel it, dipped in the curry sauce, of course, into my mouth!! Ha!

• minigrrll
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So one thing to mention, yesterday I had a freakish amount of energy. Did tons of cleaning, tidying, organizing etc. Also, I wasn't really hungry at dinner time. As soon as I started eating, I was hungry (and over ate - though I think that was more to do with it being so good than anything else) but I reckon I could have not even bothered with dinner (not that I have any desire to skip dinner...)

Weight - Trendweight is still pretty happy with me and is still predicting I'll reach my goal this year, which would be super amazing!

l3b2wmjjs4uy.png
  • blambo61
    Options
    Steady progress! Congrats!