Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Friday was another blowout for me. For whatever reason, it being my son's birthday put me in "vacation eating" head. Moderated well Saturday and Sunday and no real damage on the scale so far. Really would like to see another 7lb or so gone for a better racing weight, but might figure out some kind of recomp plan. I've been hovering within 3lbs of my goal weight for weeks now and I manage to have a blowout eat fest about every two weeks or so and just keep hovering...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Attaboy @7lenny7 .
    I find I eat so much from boredom. 2 week follow up today. I should be able to swim. I hate the amount of pain I'm still in. I may just start taking something at night.

I don't even wanna get up and make that drive today. Just wanna sleep. Its freezing here and we had some precipitation last night. It's sunny so I'm hoping the roads are clear. I can't find the right thing to bribe myself with to brave the cold wind and a long achey drive. And I don't think I pooped yesterday. So today I'm going to need to go just before the doc appointment. I'm not shaving my legs for them either.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Great job resisting temptation and putting the granola back!
    @Elise4270 - Is this just a checkup to see how you are healing/recovering? I hope the pain subsides soon! I don't remember if it lasted this long with your other surgery? Also I hope you don't have to poop during your appointment! That would be the worst!

I have done pretty well eating so far this week although it is only Wednesday and Monday was an after the HM, wanna eat everything kind of day. Even then I don't think it was terrible, I just need to be getting more protein. I have also done well with cutting back on the wine - none on Sunday or Monday and a glass last night!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber yes this was just the 2 week follow up. I've been over doing it, even though I'm spending what feels like 25 hours a day on the couch. No Walmart trips, unless I'm in and out. No more long drives, 5 hours to Lubbock. No strength exercises for a few more weeks. And take any pain med to keep it from getting this bad.

The last surgery was worse. This should be a cake walk if I can find the balance. I just read too many internet articles about how quickly the recovery is.

Gald to hear you doing better this week on the food and wine. I'd love to have some wine, if they find a way to skip the preservatives, I'd be all about it!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I think they are making more organic wines, especially whites without the preservatives. The problem is they tend to be really pricey!
    Hang in there - you will get through this and be back amongst us running soon!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I'm finally in that mental space where sticking to a deficit is easy. I seem to have conquered the runger... for now anyway. I've been on plan and have a weekly deficit for the first time in several months. My logging has been a bit haphazard but that's fine - I'm okay with guesstimating certain things sometimes (like when my husband thoughtfully plates dinner and forgets that I'm weighing stuff right now and dinner isn't the kind of thing that can be separated out once put together).

I think my real victory is not having a chocolate hot cross bun before bed last night. They're amazing but I have trouble sticking to just one! Today I will make calorie room for one or two.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I think they are making more organic wines, especially whites without the preservatives. The problem is they tend to be really pricey!
    Hang in there - you will get through this and be back amongst us running soon!

i'll take a white if i have too. I love a good red! I also love beer. I just don't have it often because it makes DH uncomfortable to have around and i get rather dehydrated with any alcohol.

@sarahthes Congratulation on the calorie deficit! I havent hit a day under in 6 months! If DH plates me something, he never remembers to weigh it. I just ask how much he cooked and guess from there and double his butter/oil use. :smiley:

----
    Back down to Dallas today for PT. I'm in a bit less pain today after a muscle relaxer, pain meds last night and i did nothing at all after i got home. Think ill try to stop at Panera bread on the way home. Wish we had one close. Love their soups. just wish they served beer too :wink:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Perhaps being sick is the key? Since I came down with this cold and crud 8 days ago I've lost 5 pounds! Clearly not all real weight. The way I was bingeing on granola before I was probably full of that carb-loving water weight. We're down to just plain-*kitten* corn flakes in the pantry now so my fistfulls of cereal eating is practically eliminated.

Corn flakes...WTF? who eats these? You can't have them with milk unless you like limp, soggy, gooey crap. If you're going to eat flavorless cereal at least get something that holds up to milk, like rice crispies or cheerios.

I'm on the upswing with this cold now. I feel much better and have less coughing and nose blowing. I'm going to try to ride this weight loss I've got going on and not eat more than half my running calories. I'm just 4 pounds from my recent low (nearly 2 years ago) and 10 pounds from goal. I'd hate like hell to get this close just to go back up again.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Haha! I agree with the corn flakes! So soggy. Makes you miss granola. I haven't tried the corn Cheerios, maybe they did a better job. I thin corn chex get soggy too.

And I still keep eating too much. So undisciplined.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    It's clear. I need to eliminate cereal from our house. After eating an entire pizza at dinner (it was just a 12 inch, but still) I was full, yet still managed to eat half a box of cinnamon and pecan Special K before bed. What is it about cereal that I can't resist? I'm done buying it, but there are still several boxes and bags in the pantry.

No cereal tonight!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Corn flakes...WTF? who eats these? You can't have them with milk unless you like limp, soggy, gooey crap. If you're going to eat flavorless cereal at least get something that holds up to milk, like rice crispies or cheerios.

sticks hand up - I eat these. You just have to be quick about it and not have too many. Better than Weetabix which you have less than a nanosecond to scoff before they become babyfood/stuck in your hair forever.

I don't eat cereal often but do have some in the house for an occasional evening snack. My preference is coco pops....because it makes the milk chocolatey....I'm such a kid!!!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sounds like a good call @7lenny7 . If you don't have the cereal around, you can't eat it. Are you going to keep an alternative around, like fruit or rice cakes?

I've kept cuties around the last few days for evening snacking. It helps. Although I'd advise against eating 6 of them in a day.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @7lenny7 - maybe it is the crunchiness factor? I am always looking for crunchy things that are healthy - there aren't many... Almonds or peanuts, carrots (with hummus), celery or apples (with almond butter or peanut butter)?
    I am not a big fan of cold cereal. We weren't allowed to have it as a kid other than Cheerios, Chex or Shredded Wheat and of course hot cereal like oatmeal or Cream of Wheat. My mom was a nutritionist and did not allow 'sweetened cereals' in the house. I did have them at friends and Lucky Charms was always a treat, but dry out of the box. The only thing corn flakes are good for in my opinion is to be crushed and used in the breading for fried/baked chicken.

@Elise4270 - I have a tangerine tree! I can and do eat several a day when we have them and they are my go to snack for on the way to the gym. This year I have only gotten a few so far. The others are taking their time ripening! I am sure they will all ripen at once too. We also don't have nearly as many this year after last year's huge crop. I had to give them away to anyone who would take them or they would spoil because I couldn't eat them fast enough and my husband doesn't eat them (or our oranges) at all. I figure the vitamin A and C is good for me along with all the other minerals, etc.. I also read (not sure if it is true) that they are considered a 'negative calorie' food - they take more energy to chew and digest than the calories they provide.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mmm @shanaber I love tangerines. They are my favorite citrus. When I lived with my grandparents in Antioch, they had a few lemon trees. I loved them. I climbed them and got scolded often. But I just loved the smell.

We have a kumquat tree. It has fruit, but it also takes time to ripen.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @Elise4270 I already eat plenty of fruit. Rice cakes might be an option though. I think I'm after the crunch like @shanaber mentioned. The only way I like rice cakes though is smeared with peanut butter, and that drives up the calories. Carrots (with hummus) and apples are a staple in my work lunches.

I did find another way to cut back on calories though I don't recommend it. Get sick. Just 900 calories for me yesterday and likely a similar amount today. It's been so long since I've been sick that I forgot how much it's sucks.

• fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I put a salmon spread on rice cakes. 80 calories for 1TB. It helps with the crunch, but also feels a little bingy and I'm left not satisfied and wanting to much.

Crunchmaster seed crackers definitely help with my crunch needs and don't make me feel bingy.

Boy, cereal though, right over the edge.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Salmon spread sounds good. I was thinking maybe the low cal cream cheese, but the salmon adds protein.

Sorry to hear you got sick @7lenny7 yuck!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    That's 80 calories for 2 TB on the salmon spread. I got it at Costco.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I've just been inspired to give up cold cereal for lent.