Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @Elise4270 I think it means you are done in the community because it takes you back to your home page. Maybe a home button would be better?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Elise4270 I think it means you are done in the community because it takes you back to your home page. Maybe a home button would be better?

I see. Ya it shouldn't be a thing on mobile. "Home" is a much better option.

I've never heard of these instant pots. I'm going to have to Google it. We're out of counter space, so it'd have to be worth replacing my rice cooker that cooks everything.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was grumpy at hubby this weekend for using up my two Crock Pots for cooking Boy Scout food for an upcoming camping trip, so I went to Kohl's and angry-bought an Instant Pot so I could do my meal prep for the week. Not knowing much more than it's an electric pressure cooker, I grabbed one off the shelf. When I got home and unbundled it, I realized I had purchased the mack-daddy of them all. It's pretty big (the DUO 80), but I like to cook a LOT of food at once and have leftovers and/or weekly meal prep so I'm really not too sad.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited February 2018
    @fitoverfortymom a batch of skyr uses one gallon of skim milk, which is 1280 calories. At the end of the yogurt making process I ended up with 68 ounces of yogurt. If I assume all calories stayed with the yogurt, then that's 19 calories per ounce. Of course some of the calories are gone with the whey, but for my purposes, that's close enough. As a check, 5 ounces x 19 calories/ounce = 95 calories, which is right about what a 5oz Siggi's plain has.

@sarahthes I've only had this less than two weeks, and I was a big skeptic before hand, but I'm hooked. I love it. I wish we had this when we had all three kids at home.

So far I've made:
    • soft boiled eggs - awesome, but I think I'd rather have fried eggs, sunny-side up.
    • hard boiled eggs - A little easier than my normal method of steaming in a pot
    • butternut squash - LOVE the IP for this! I'll never bake my winter squash again
    • ham & split pea soup - I LOVE the IP for this! Amazing how quick this cooked. My wife said it was the best ham & split pea soup she's had.
    • apple sauce - aMAZing! and so simple. Half granny smith, half honeycrisp, no sugar. My son said it was the best apple sauce he's ever had. Took maybe 15 minutes. He loves sour so the next batch will be all granny smith
    • skyr yogurt (Siggi's) - better, and a lot easier, than my stovetop method.
    • chicken & brown rice dish using frozen chicken thighs - the recipe was bland but the ability to use frozen chicken, without separate thawing, was huge. This ability is the key reason we bought this. Making GOOD meals quickly when we both work. Start to finish was about 45 minutes I think. Costco sells 10 pound bags of individually frozen chicken breasts. These will be a staple at our house now.
    • grains (millet & farro) - we bought these whole grains for some recipe, a LONG time ago, but never used them again. I'm now using them up by cooking up enough for weekday breakfasts. One serving of grains, with two snotty fried eggs mashed in, salt, pepper and seasoning, make for a fantastic, filling breakfast. Today, using farro, I had a 366 calorie breakfast, and that kept me full until lunch.

I think tonight I'll try some chicken curry using chana dal (a type of split pea I think). I'm also looking forward to using the IP for cooking the venison and pheasant we have in our freezer. I also plan on making quinoa, steel cut oats, corned beef, ribs, and pot roast in it soon. And more apple sauce, and more yogurt.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    They seem perdy cool. Maybe we should share some recipes with them? I looked them up, dh wanted one a few months back but I vetoed it because it's a pressure cooker. I remember stories of injury with the old style ones. I may reconsider getting one. I'd love to cook and freeze meals. We did that when the kids were little.

For now, I've put on a pot of curry turkey with sweet potato, pumpkin, onion, cauliflower, and will finish it off with coconut milk. My turkey was frozen and I forgot to separate it so I could puree the veggies.... So chunky turkey curry it is.

ETA @7lenny7 wow you have conqured that IP!
  • 7lenny7
    @Elise4270 these electric pressure cookers have none of the concerns that the old stovetop units had. They can also be used as a slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, saute pan (though for just sauteing I'd use a regular saute pan. I use the IP for sauteing only when the sauteed ingredients go into whatever I'm making in the IP).

• fitoverfortymom
    edited February 2018
    This is what I do for steel cut oats and chia seeds: http://purebarre.com/blog/2016/01/09/slow-cooker-superfood-oatmeal/. I skip all the fruit stuff and just do the oats and chia seeds.

You could bulk it out and get away with adding at least another cup of liquid (almond milk or water).

It used to take me 6-7 hours in the slow cooker on warm. It took 40 minutes this weekend from the time I started weighing the ingredients to letting it cook. I tripled the recipe, set the minutes to 6, let it naturally depressurized for 20 minutes and then manually depressurize the rest of the way. I portioned it out into my bowls for the week and YUMMM. I add in sugar-free pancake syrup when I eat it.
  • 7lenny7
    I'm adding chips and crackers to the things I'm giving up for Lent. The only exception is when we have wine, cheese and crackers.
  • 7lenny7
    Let me know if you can read this instead:

https://getpocket.com/a/read/2082054603

Here are some of the highlights:
    Anyone who has ever been on a diet knows that the standard prescription for weight loss is to reduce the amount of calories you consume.

But a new study, published Tuesday in JAMA, may turn that advice on its head. It found that people who cut back on added sugar, refined grains and highly processed foods while concentrating on eating plenty of vegetables and whole foods — without worrying about counting calories or limiting portion sizes — lost significant amounts of weight over the course of a year.

The strategy worked for people whether they followed diets that were mostly low in fat or mostly low in carbohydrates. And their success did not appear to be influenced by their genetics or their insulin-response to carbohydrates, a finding that casts doubt on the increasingly popular idea that different diets should be recommended to people based on their DNA makeup or on their tolerance for carbs or fat.

The research lends strong support to the notion that diet quality, not quantity, is what helps people lose and manage their weight most easily in the long run. It also suggests that health authorities should shift away from telling the public to obsess over calories and instead encourage Americans to avoid processed foods that are made with refined starches and added sugar, like bagels, white bread, refined flour and sugary snacks and beverages, said Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University.
    ...the new study found that after one year of focusing on food quality, not calories, the two groups lost substantial amounts of weight. On average, the members of the low-carb group lost just over 13 pounds, while those in the low-fat group lost about 11.7 pounds. Both groups also saw improvements in other health markers, like reductions in their waist sizes, body fat, and blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
    “The bottom line: Diet quality is important for both weight control and long-term well-being,” he said.

Dr. Gardner said it is not that calories don’t matter. After all, both groups ultimately ended up consuming fewer calories on average by the end of the study, even though they were not conscious of it. The point is that they did this by focusing on nutritious whole foods that satisfied their hunger.

“I think one place we go wrong is telling people to figure out how many calories they eat and then telling them to cut back on 500 calories, which makes them miserable,” he said. “We really need to focus on that foundational diet, which is more vegetables, more whole foods, less added sugar and less refined grains.”
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    150ish g net carbs yesterday (with a 7km run). 146g protein. 56g fibre. I ate every single one of my exercise calories and by random chance ended the day with exactly 0 calories left. Hunger was a bit high yesterday during the day but able to be kept in check with sensible snacking in the evening. I also had ice cream. I ate it out of the measuring cup to save on dishes...

We will see how today goes. I had oatmeal and a hash brown for breakfast (from Tim Hortons), and lunch is leftover roast beef and roasted potatoes with some fresh vegetables. Supper is planned to be paninis.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    Love the article @7lenny7 ! I thought about moving away from calorie counting, as long as I ate real food. I dismissed it, because figure I wouldn't be be eating less. I can't seem to tolerate the idea of vegetables right now. Obviously that's the direction I need to be moving towards.
    I think I should take some pain killers. I seem to get down with daily pain and terrible nights results in no motivation. I bailed on PT today. Today's the anniversary of my dad's death. We we're not close. But I'm a bit superstitious today. I don't want to make that long drive in 32° wet conditions. Oddness. He died of complications that come with being an alcoholic. Not icy roads. :wink:

I'm going to fess up. I ate cookies. It was a conscious choice. The woman's Olympic gold hockey game was on and I had no halo. I wanted to tv snack. I had popcorn (skinny girl). Then chose to eat cookies with the game. I have found a weakness. I must have acceptable snacks for good tv. I used to eat frozen blueberries, not sure why I didn't think of that.

I won't say who won in case anyone plans on watching it..... Like dh did when I was watching men's hockey... *kitten*.
    He's down with the instant pot. I'm not sure when we'll get one.

I need to go swim today. I need to do better today.

ETA no swim. It's thundering, I'd guess that means lighting too. Bike it is. I got this.
  • Elise4270
    @sarahthes wow! That super on the protein goal! I'm doing good to hit 100, with that I have to have a protein shake! Sound like you have your day planned!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    @Elise4270 We had roast beef and I had a protein bar. And beef jerky. Wouldn't call it a typical day.

Yesterday was a bit hungrier, probably from running a longer distance 2 days in a row. -480 on the calories (i.e. maintenance), 200g net carbs, 48g fibre, 160g protein. Had a protein bar (Quest) and beef jerky to bring up the protein.

Today will be a lower exercise day (no running) so I'm working to keep calories and carbs down somewhat, although I'm ordering in Indian for supper. That means lower carb during the day and eating most of them in the evening.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    I have been away from here and the challenge page for too long... I miss you guys! I have read everything since I was last able to really be present here, last week I think. Work and life are just getting in the way. My daughter is having tough time and I seem to be on the phone with her all the time. Then I end up wanting to eat all the carbs and cookies as well as drink all the wine. I don't know that I ever 'emotionally' ate before and I really don't want to start now. Not good! So then I end up going the other way and skipping meals and my running and workouts end up suffering.

I am going to have to take a look at the Instant Pot - I had not heard of it before either. Seems like a great tool in the kitchen! I bought myself a covered and vented mug the other day because I thought it looked useful and then discovered that 'mug meals' are a thing. I hadn't heard of them before either but apparently they have been around for quite a while too, with cookbooks dedicated to them and lots of stuff on Pinterest which I use very infrequently.

A question for you all... do any of you cook for yourselves and someone who is diabetic? My husband was just put on medication because his testing was way out of line. His doctor wants us to meet with a nutritionist but I am wondering how to keep my carbs in without tempting him or flat out telling him he can't have any of what I am fixing for myself - seems a bit cruel to me. Note - this is the person who went to Marie Callenders and brought home a French apple pie. I like pie, I can't stand French Apple - it is just syrupy apples with a boatload of sugar on top. So he is left to eat it on his own which he doesn't need. He also bought the Girl Scout cookies that I have been so tempted by. I love the lemon ones! They are pretty much all gone now other than the packages I have put (hidden) away in the cupboard. I am hoping the nutritionist gets through to him and makes him realize he can't keep doing this.

In the question about moderator vs abstainer... I think I am a moderator. I can have food in the house and ignore it. Like the GS cookies and all the chocolate sitting in my desk that he bought me for Christmas. I might have a piece once in a while and when it gets too old I will toss what is left. I love dark chocolate and could totally eat it all but I won't and I won't let him have it.

@7lenny7 - great article. I love the idea of eating healthy and not logging but I thought I was eating pretty healthy before when I weighed so much. I don't think I would feel comfortable 'thinking' I am eating clean/healthy and discover I was again way overeating and gaining! It is my security blanket :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    Aye carumba. Not a good day. Major carb binge (cookies, bagels, cereal). Not sure where this came from, and now I feel icky and stuffed, plus totally crashing.
  • 7lenny7
    That dang kid of mine opened up a new box of cereal! Something chocolaty and crunchy. Must... Resist...

BTW, I do have an exception my Lenten abstinence. Costco samples are always OK to eat.

For my road trip to KC I packed apples, clementines, protein bars and hard boiled eggs. Go me!
  • 7lenny7
    Full disclosure, I also packed beer and bourbon for after the race.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @shanaber I make mug egg whites a lot. Spray mug, pour in egg whites, add cheese, meat and veg. Micro for 1:30 stir, repeat. Usually then it's done. Top with herdez guacamole salsa.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2018
    @shanaber On the husband, shouldn't HE be responsible for his choices? There are knives in the house, that doesn't mean I can stab..... Things. :blush: I shouldn't have chocolate or peanut butter, that doesn't mean no one's else gets it. If it's in the house, it's up to me to not eat it. He's gonna eat it regardless of what's in the house, right?

It could give you both the opportunity to chose better carbs? Or you're gonna have to hide it?

There are guys at work that stop on the way to or from to eat what the wives won't allow. So.... I'd just try to work with him, find low sugar substitutes?

I tell mine to quit eating gas station food, but he doesn't. I find lottery tickets and candy wrappers in his truck all the time and I've forbidden those too. *Shrugs*

ETA I mean, I can go on and on and on at all the things I've told him not to do, for the sake of his health or consideration of other humans..... Deaf ears.