Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Elise and Lenny just solved a mystery for me. I grew up on Lenny style goolash, and then had the other kind in Hungary after friend there instructed me what to order for lunch when she had to abandon me for a bit.... and was not expecting what I got...I was sure they hadn’t understood me and just brought the poor lost American some food.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    We always made goulash similar to @7lenny7 's recipe.

Went to the store. Bought donuts, ice cream, and reeses pieces. I couldn't help myself!

Your not alone. Dh bought Ben and Jerry's. I had no plans to eat it, but I was so proud of my caccatorie and I had a steroid shot that probably didn't help, and in watching Ugly Delicious on Netflix. I ate all the Chubb Hubby. Which leads me to the next part of my story..... That's not PC.

WARNING CHILDISH POOP STORY
    I should have known something was up when I had uncharacteristically common gas. The kind that produces enough volume to actually be considered a quality passing, Al Bundyesqe. The kind that just faintly smells of beans and arouses that glare from family members. The kind that brings out the giggle of a 10 year old in oneself.

I thought it was probably just the Advil, a hormone swing and I embraced it, let me be rebelious, childish. Now with this sinus business, antibiotics, dairy ice cream.... It's the kind that comes with a moment of panic then with shuffle to the shower and the walk of shame to the washer, or was that to the shower?

I have a PT visit tomorrow... No bueno. My sinuses feel better though. Uh from the shot... and antibiotics.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    wrote: »
    We always made goulash similar to 's recipe.

Went to the store. Bought donuts, ice cream, and reeses pieces. I couldn't help myself!

Your not alone. Dh bought Ben and Jerry's. I had no plans to eat it, but I was so proud of my caccatorie and I had a steroid shot that probably didn't help, and in watching Ugly Delicious on Netflix. I ate all the Chubb Hubby. Which leads me to the next part of my story..... That's not PC.

WARNING CHILDISH POOP STORY
    I should have known something was up when I had uncharacteristically common gas. The kind that produces enough volume to actually be considered a quality passing, Al Bundyesqe. The kind that just faintly smells of beans and arouses that glare from family members. The kind that brings out the giggle of a 10 year old in oneself.

I thought it was probably just the Advil, a hormone swing and I embraced it, let me be rebelious, childish. Now with this sinus business, antibiotics, dairy ice cream.... It's the kind that comes with a moment of panic then with shuffle to the shower and the walk of shame to the washer, or was that to the shower?

I have a PT visit tomorrow... No bueno. My sinuses feel better though. Uh from the shot... and antibiotics.

OMG. Steroids made me post a poop story. I'm up 5 hours early, hot and with heartburn. If I'm hot I'm burning extra calories, right! :relaxed:
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Elise and Lenny just solved a mystery for me. I grew up on Lenny style goolash, and then had the other kind in Hungary after friend there instructed me what to order for lunch when she had to abandon me for a bit.... and was not expecting what I got...I was sure they hadn’t understood me and just brought the poor lost American some food.

Ya I was confused for a while too when I was going to get goulash maybe school or relatives, and it was tomato sauce, pasta and ground meat. I realized later, when I checked out a cookbook from the library, pre internet era, that there was something lost in translation with the original dish.

I encourage all to make the real deal. It's one of the meals that makes me feel connected to my european ancestors. I imagine a time when there had to be branches of my family that gathered for a hot meal that was filled with love. Nostalgic foods that seem imbedded in my DNA, that I can feel a time past. (I've been off work too long- as if there is such a thing. Blame genealogy research and Netflix).

Hey! Forum question!

What foods make you feel connected to your family roots? I watched Ugly Delicious last night, which is what it is all about. Eat the foods you love, the foods that remind you of a time, a meal with family.

ETA and if you grew up eating canned beans and tortillas warmed on the burner, cold cereal, maybe left over war rations with canned horse that you thought was ham post parent divorce, just do what I do... Imagine. :wink:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Hey! Forum question!

What foods make you feel connected to your family roots? I watched Ugly Delicious last night, which is what it is all about. Eat the foods you love, the foods that remind you of a time, a meal with family.

ETA and if you grew up eating canned beans and tortillas warmed on the burner, cold cereal, maybe left over war rations with canned horse that you thought was ham post parent divorce, just do what I do... Imagine. :wink:

Lefse. Rosettes. Scrolls. Sandbakkels. (All stuff I can't eat anymore)

Brats. I can still eat those but only in GF beer and bunless. But bunless is ok because Phoenix doesn't have the right brat buns.

I'm of Norwegian and German heritage if you weren't sure. (And a dash of Irish).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Oh, and I'm pretty sure my love of strong, good coffee comes from my Norwegian roots. ;)
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My DNA is 100% European.
    English, Scandinavian, Welsh, Irish, totals 89%
    East European which looks like East German, Poland, Ukraine (genealogy search is Poland/Prussia) is 8%
    And the leftover 2.3 is Ashkenazi jew.

I'm 100% American assimilated. I don't know of any family traditions we had. I'm adopting traditions and foods. Fill in the gaps.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    My genealogy research lead to some Norwegian's to contact me. My mom went to Norway for a family reunion and then they came stateside for another one where I was able to meet them.

Other than food at holidays we don't have any traditions from the old country. And having a very large Oktoberfest in my hometown. That's about it, everything else is very American. We've been here for about 6 generations so a lot gets lost. Growing up in Wisconsin food is the tradition though and most of WI is German/Norwegian.

I'm curious about the DNA testing but I don't think it will tell me much more than I already know. I want to do all of them and compare results though.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I always had goulash similar to @7lenny7 , but the @Elise4270 recipe looks awesome. I have the ingredients on-hand at home for that, so might toss that in the IP for tomorrow!

Doing a bit better with food this week. I'm religiously having a thick protein shake as a pre-breakfast and keeping my calories closer to maintenance and only creating a deficit with exercise. I'm pretty sure the Mirena I got about a month ago has been wreaking havoc on my appetite, so now I have more awareness and can tackle it with a plan.

I'm also remembering that 153lbs is nothing like 253lbs and taking my time to get into the 140's (for optimal racing weight) is just fine. Having a few bad eating days has really only spiked the scale up about 8lbs and it comes right back off once I get back into my routine. If I can get a few solid weeks with no binge incidents, I'll feel really good about where I am, even if the scale isn't moving.

I've not let any of the foods I've indulged with back in the house, so that helps also. Kinda bums my kid out, but he gets it.

I've been having a huge hankering for a sticky bun. A really big one with pecans and gooey-ness. Going to try and plan that in after a long run. Probably not this week, but next weekend I think it will have to happen. My son is having some friends over on Saturday night which will involve pizza and such, but I think I'll opt to do something a little less trigger-inducing for hubby and me. Not sure what that looks like yet.

I made a modified version of this last night (stovetop, not IP) http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/szechuan-green-beans-with-ground-pork and it was awesome.
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm curious about the DNA testing but I don't think it will tell me much more than I already know. I want to do all of them and compare results though.

I'm a European mutt of epic proportions. England, France, Hungary, Austria mostly. Hubby has a bit of English/Scottish and mostly Italian. Our "family identity" is largely Italian. His grandfather was 1st generation born in the US. His family left Italy to escape Mussolini.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've always had goulash like the recipe I posted but it was never anything to rave about. It was more comfort food than anything else. @Elise4270 's recipe looks MUCH better! I was going to make a venison roast in the IP this weekend but I may make Elise-style goulash instead.

@Elise4270 when I make a dish for my wife and I, I put in everything the recipe calls for, but when I make a dish for the punk, I'll make it to suit his picky tastes. He really needs to fill out his 6'7" lanky frame so I try to make things he'll want to eat from time to time. Last night I made some Taco Pasta in the IP and he loved it and asked that I make it again soon, so that was a win. And your poop story...that happened to me on the playground when I was a kid. I'm still scarred.

I'm 50% German, 25% Swiss, and 25% French. My family name is Swiss and that's what I most identify with. My wife is 100% German.

Probably the number one family food we do is a wafer thin cookie called a bratzeli (very similar to the Italian pizelli). We make stacks of them for Christmas every year. Our family used to fondue every Christmas eve but when I got married, my wife and I tried it once or twice and then quit, which I regret.

I suppose I could say we eat a lot of brats because we're German, but it's more because we live in Minnesota. I do love stacks and stacks of sauerkraut on them though.

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm 50% German, 25% Swiss, and 25% French. My family name is Swiss and that's what I most identify with. My wife is 100% German.

Probably the number one family food we do is a wafer thin cookie called a bratzeli (very similar to the Italian pizelli). We make stacks of them for Christmas every year. Our family used to fondue every Christmas eve but when I got married, my wife and I tried it once or twice and then quit, which I regret.

I suppose I could say we eat a lot of brats because we're German, but it's more because we live in Minnesota. I do love stacks and stacks of sauerkraut on them though.

My family name is very Norwegian.

Wisconsin is probably why I eat so many brats but SHHHHHH we just says its because we are German.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I grew up eating goulash the way @7lenny7 makes it but when I met my husband's family I had real Hungarian goulash. His grandfather immigrated from Hungary through Ellis Island. We have his papers and saw how they changed his name when he entered the country (fascinating history).

My family is also very European. My dad's family was primarily from Ireland but his grandmother's family came here before the Revolutionary war. My mom's family was also here early on and were Scottish, Welsh and Irish. That is the reason for the fair skin and red hair! We went to a family reunion on my dad's side (his dad was one of 13 kids so it was a big group) and there was a lot of discussion on skin cancer and the issues with the sun! My dad had literally sun allergies and would get terrible burns in a very short period of time if he wasn't really careful, even through a cotton shirt. It was interesting to hear that others in the family had similar issues.

Our foods growing up were mostly '60's American' - meatloaf and casseroles is what I remember most. We rarely ate beef, like @7lenny7 my dad was a hunter and we had venison in all forms, pheasant, duck and lots of trout which I still love if it is fresh and cooked properly. We did have corn meal mush for breakfast in the winter and my grandmother would put the leftovers in a loaf pan, let it sit overnight in the fridge, then slice and fry it in butter and serve with maple syrup... no idea what it would be called but as a kid it was the best!
    My mom also homemade (hand dipped) chocolates but nothing really rooted in our heritage.

My husband's family is an entirely different story. His dad's family had a hotel, bar and grill in a small town in PA where there was always a pot of cabbage balls on the stove. Of course his mom had to learn to make them when they moved to CA. It remains a family specialty and we always make it when the family gets together. They are a bit different from standard cabbage balls as they are cooked in/with sauerkraut (no tomato based sauce) and served with mashed potatoes and apple sauce. I love them now but it took me a while to acquire the taste for them. His mom was Dutch and German and also big on brats and sauerkraut. She really didn't cook much though when I met her but she did have family cookie recipes that we still make during the holidays. Interestingly one of the favorites is from a hotel in PA where her family went when she was a child and her mom got a cookbook from the hotel.

• rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Lenny style Goulash is what a Hungarian calls a hot dish (or at least my Hungarian family does). The Hungarian Gulyás I grew up on is a very hearty soup similar to Elise's but we use a different recipe. And if any Minnesotans on here want to try the real stuff, swing by the Festival of Nations in May and visit the Hungarian Cafe. I will be serving up bowls of it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mmm! So many new foods for me to try! @shanaber I wanna revisit these cabbage balls in kraut.

I was always told growing up we we're German/Dutch. I don't feel my DNA reflects that. But my family research is 80% German. Everybody love brats!

I want recipes if anyone has any old world ones to share!
  • 7lenny7
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @rachempoo I see your from Burnsville! I'm in Savage, just a block away from Burnsville. My profile says Minneapolis because no one has ever heard of Savage.

My wife and I went to the Festival of Nations several years ago and I absolutely loved it. We need to go back for sure. I'll have to put that on our calendar.

This talk about "Lenny style" goulash makes me chuckle. There was only one person in my family who made it, and that was my oldest sister. We had 6 kids in our family with a 12 year spread. Because my mom was an ER nurse and my dad was a firefighter, it often fell to my sister, 11 years older, to feed us when they weren't home. Her goulash was her default meal. I can't say it was gourmet food by any stretch, but for me, it's the definition of comfort food, particularly since she was taken from us far too early. Anything related to her is quite near and dear to me heart.

• 7lenny7
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I had a fail last night....That new box of cereal was too big of a temptation. It was shredded wheat flavored like cinnamon toast crunch. I caved after I decided I had to at least try it before it was gone. I'm over it, but had to come clean here. This thread had really helped me get my eating back on track and if I kept quiet about it this thread would lose its effectiveness for me.

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    rachempoo wrote: »

Lenny style Goulash is what a Hungarian calls a hot dish (or at least my Hungarian family does). The Hungarian Gulyás I grew up on is a very hearty soup similar to Elise's but we use a different recipe. And if any Minnesotans on here want to try the real stuff, swing by the Festival of Nations in May and visit the Hungarian Cafe. I will be serving up bowls of it.

We went to the Festival of Nations one year for school. It was a lot of fun.
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I had a fail last night....That new box of cereal was too big of a temptation. It was shredded wheat flavored like cinnamon toast crunch. I caved after I decided I had to at least try it before it was gone. I'm over it, but had to come clean here. This thread had really helped me get my eating back on track and if I kept quiet about it this thread would lose its effectiveness for me.

I had ice cream last night. I logged it as 2 servings but I'd guess it was more than that. I refused to weigh it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I have family in northwest Iowa, and that goulash was very similar to what I grew up with my mom making. She usually made it with the bag of macaroni egg noodles, tomato sauce, hamburger, corn, and probably a few other things I'm not remembering.

@7lenny7 I might actually know someone in Savage, MN. I'll have to check and see if that's where she is. She grew up with me here in CO, but her now-husband lived in MN so she moved there. Kelly and Jade Harper they are.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    All your talk of family dishes is making me want my grandma's potato casserole thing she made with mushroom gravy. Basically potato pancake batter baked in a casserole dish. Ultimate comfort food.

I have been having trouble maintaining a deficit but my macros haven't been great either. Need more protein & fibre, less fat & sugar. I think I've been eating mostly at maintenance but I've been avoiding the scale.