Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am envious of you having access to Tillamook dairy products. I love the ice cream personally... My husband grew up with Tillamook cheese. He says he hasn't found any that tastes as good in Canada and I think our ice cream disappoints him too... will have to try the yogurt the next time we head south. Although my mother-in-law makes her own.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I get Tillamook aged cheddar from Costco. It's wonderful!

Many years ago we visited Oregon and toured the Tillamook facility. When we were done and driving to the next town we passed a field of dairy cows. My youngest son, in his cute 4 year old voice said, "Bye, cows, thank you for the cheeeese!". Now we all say that when we drive by cows.

And finally, there's a Tillamook trail ultramarathon I really want to run in. 50 miles I think.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Trying something new for lunch today. Costco had their big cans of Premium Chunk Chicken Breast on sale for $6.99 for a 6 can package. I bought 3 packages. One full can is 210 calories, 4g of fat, and 46g of protein. I brought one can in for lunch today. I hope it doesn't suck. If it's good, I'll go buy more.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Tilamook is as close to having yummy Wisconsin cheese as I can get. The az cows make crappy milk and cheese :s
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ran errands this morning. Work, swim, tan.. figure maybe I grab some lunch while I'm out until I look down.... WTF.

fldmmwr9uuch.jpg
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Despite all the overdone snacking I've been guilty of lately I finally braved the scale this morning and I'm down 2.5 lbs. Same weight I was 2 weeks before Christmas. Whatever, I'll take it...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Kind protein bars: tasty but not as fulfilling as RX bars for similar calories and protein count. I would not recommend if you want something to keep you full.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I love Tillamook cheese and ice cream! I have never tried the yogurt, though I'm not sure I have seen it in the store before. Will have to look for it.
    I am so busy I haven't gotten to run the last 2 days and barely eaten really other than dinner and even that hasn't been great. We went to Costco tonight because I need t get ready to head to Seattle on Sunday (really early because of the time change! didn't think of that when I booked my tickets - no wonder there were plenty of seats on the flight). Any way I have been looking to get the Kirkland Chicken tortilla soup. I had it at an event and really liked it but they have been out at my store. We had it for dinner tonight with quesadillas I made on corn tortillas. So delicious. Also the soup is 120 calories/serving with 12 grams of carb and 11 grams of protein!
    @RunsOnEspresso - I like the BNRC Power Crunch bars and pretty much have half of one every morning to get something in my stomach as soon as I get up. I also like the Clif Whey Protein bars... maybe just a little too much because they kind of taste like a candy bar. They are also kind of expensive as most of the Clif bars seem to be. The Kind bars don't do much for me but sometimes I buy them because they look like they could be awesome and then, eh, not so much...
    @sarahthes - congratulations on the loss! I haven't weighed in a while. With my increased stress, not eating or running consistently I am sure I don't want to know!
    @7lenny7 - I liked that canned chicken but it does have quite a bit of sodium. I used to put half a can on my salads but lately I have been buying the package of rotisserie chicken meat and like it even better. It just has much better flavor I think
    Hey @Elise4270 - at least your jeans still fit :) You'll get back in shape in no time as you get moving again!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @shanaber Sadly I can't have most cliff products. They aren't gluten-free. I think there are two I can have and they aren't the ones I like LOL I'll have to look up BNRC Power Crunch and see if I can have those.

ETA I should know with a name like Crunch bar I can't have it. They look tasty though!
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Trying something new for lunch today. Costco had their big cans of Premium Chunk Chicken Breast on sale for $6.99 for a 6 can package. I bought 3 packages. One full can is 210 calories, 4g of fat, and 46g of protein. I brought one can in for lunch today. I hope it doesn't suck. If it's good, I'll go buy more.

We use the Kirkland brand, or Walmarts premium canned chicken for quick recipes. It's food for chicken salad too. I wish it wasn't so salty though, sometimes I rinse it in hot water.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great job!

It is nice to go to share the ups and downs. And get ideas for healthy snacks/meals.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Wow! @7lenny7 that's great to hear! We're stronger together :wink:

I'm glad you shared that. There's Rocky road and Snickers ice cream bars in our freezer. You're making it work, I'm going to stay away from the junk. And I'm so close to getting my weight to trend "not up".

I'm sure those instant pot meals help too.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Hey @Elise4270 - at least your jeans still fit :) You'll get back in shape in no time as you get moving again!

Thanks! They sort of fit. :frowning: I think I should be back to some running in mid April. Just have to exercise some discipline in the meantime.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Congratulations!! I am in that holding pattern right now. I am up 20 lbs but am no longer gaining, thank goodness. I am really trying to a) eat more (this week not so much) and b) eat better, more protein and good carbs. I am heading to my daughter's in Seattle in the morning and she is on a big protein kick so I am hoping I can just eat what she is. Maybe... she eats a lot of eggs and I have such a hard time with them cause I don't really like them.

@RunsOnEspresso - have you looked at the Pure Protein bars? They carry them at my Costco in a 3 box pack. They aren't my favorites but they are ok. I do like the peanut butter caramel the best but they don't include that one in the Costco pack any more. The box says gluten free but I don't know how to tell from the ingredients, I don't see anything wheat based in them though. They are 200 calories with 16gm carbs and 20gm protein.

@Elise4270 - I agree with @7lenny7 about this thread. It has given me so many food ideas and ways to get more protein, to say nothing of the recipes. I want to try some of the ones @rachempoo posted and see if my husband likes them since he is Hungarian!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Long run right before dinner tonight so eating light is easy as I typically don't want much for several hours. But I know I'll be hangry tomorrow! We've got a bunch of chicken breasts in the fridge and will probably freeze them with marinade for easy sous vide later in the week. They take 2 hours from frozen but no need to defrost, and are convenient on running days. From fresh they take an hour.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber I have had those. They're ok, not my fav.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm heading back to work Monday after 6 weeks off. I head back part time and progress as tolerated.

I threw together a instant pot meal anticipating that I'll not be up to cooking with the added work hours. It's a chicken vegetable soup with mustard greens. I can't say I've cooked with the greens before... I just wanted something green in it. I had thought of a pho type dish.

Dh is making a chili soup. Idk what it really is. He had a vegetable soup with ground beef at a meeting last week and was inspired by it. I just don't care for soups with ground beef.

Between the two dishes and the 2hours/ 350$ we spent at Walmart I should be set for the entire week. Nothing tempting in there. The worst is pom juice, and lunch meat. and brats. But they had no kraut :disappointed: dh did get ice cream but I have some halo to keep me out of it.

What's your plan for the week?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @Elise4270 We have chicken, smokies and eggs in the fridge so those will be supper all week. I'm leaning towards a stir fry one night. I skip the bun with the smokies so they do less caloric damage.

Lunch will be leftovers or frozen. We have a freezer full.

Breakfast will be all bran, yogurt and fruit all week. Tastes so good I always feel like I'm getting away with something eating it.

I have protein bars for when the rungries attack. Gotta remember to throw some into my purse for at work to keep me out of the candy dish though.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ugh. my belly is sticking out. This is not good.

Last night I made a butternut squash recipe from a Persian cookbook. Basically roast chunks of squash with a z'atar paste, then toss over a greek yoghurt/mint/ground coriander/lemon dressing. I threw in some chorizo and halloumi for a flavour change.

I didn't cook the squash long enough so it was a bit bland. But I reckon the leftovers will work well as a soup - bit of butter, and onion, toss in the leftover squash with the rest of the spice mix and a bouillon and we're done.

back to having salads for lunch as the weather is warming up. Starting to be interested in cooking again and might try and aim for one new recipe every couple of weeks. Certainly I have plenty of cookbooks to choose from.

Made granola as well yesterday. I don't know why because I never eat the stuff, but it was quite nice and took time to eat with a bit of yoghurt and a chopped up apple.

the cinema beckons tonight. I need to avoid the Evil Sugar Empire else the doughnuts will have their wicked way with me.