Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I did a quick internet search. I might check out the forms. Idk . I don't need too much information or I'll get indecisive with what to do. I feel ready to stick to a rigid plan.

1.My plan is to up the calories (well I'm eating just over maintenance anyway) so I just made it official by changing my cal goal. I just have to be careful that I don't use it to eat more than I need to, just because I have left on MFP, which is why I set it low, as a signal to stay out of the kitchen. Also continue to "do better" with food choices.
    2. "Do better" with the exercise. I'm in the position to add a bit, especially with half work days. I've outlined a plan. Got my running journal out to use it to track progress/stay focused and found I have only 3 weeks left in it. So I ordered the grey Believe Training Journal. I'll just update the new one and get started today.
    3. I organized my strength exercises from PT. I have 15 of them. So, hopefully I can do 5, 3x week and add from there. I'll add gym resistance where I can. For now, I want to focus on rehab and swimming with paddles has been good upper body resistance.
    4. I'm hoping the scale makes the slowest turn downwards. I'll reevaluate the calories as the scale/clothes/measurements dictate.

Then come April 16th, I just might have a shot at running and cycling outside.

I kind of hit a wall last week swimming and once on the bike. I think this plan will help, I can recover easier and not focus on "how low can you go" on those damn calories.

Tl:Dr Got my *kitten* together. :wink: and made a plan.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I think lifting at maintenance or very very slight deficit is how you recomp isn't it? It's slower than cutting but gives better results is my understanding.

Half is in three weeks! Once it's over I think I'm going to switch to an intermediate 10K or 15K plan since the rest of my racing season is a mix of those distances. I'd like to work on getting faster, which is where I think weight loss will really help me.

I did the Hal Higdon 10k intermediate plan and loved It! I also did that right after my first HM. It was just the right increase in intensity without adding an unachievable number of miles, and I indeed got faster!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Much better eating this weekend and I found a non-cereal food I like for my long runs: peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwiches. Lasted nearly my whole 9mile run. I'm practicing with mid-race fuel and fuel timing, also.

I banked enough calories yesterday and today that I can enjoy myself at our dinner out with family.

Such a better weekend and no off the rails carb binges.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Eating at a slight deficit and lifting is considered recomposition. It's harder to build muscle at a deficit but new lifters can usually do it.

I usually figure out my TDEE and then subtract 150 cals. Weigh in every 3-4 weeks and adjust accordingly.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Eating at a slight deficit and lifting is considered recomposition. It's harder to build muscle at a deficit but new lifters can usually do it.

I usually figure out my TDEE and then subtract 150 cals. Weigh in every 3-4 weeks and adjust accordingly.

I had my RMR measured. It gave me 375calories /day for "lifestyle and activities", 156cals /30 minutes of activity. RMR is 1253.

So, 1253-1628 for maintenance. I just picked the middle, 1440 to start with and see where that all goes.

1003-1253 for weigh loss. Which is impossible not being able to do much yet.

Any insight?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @elise4270 I don't know much about the RMR testing. I would say whatever you choose, stick with it for at least 3-4 weeks. Weigh yourself at that point and adjust accordingly.

The plan I follow has different adjustments depending on what I do in those 3-4 weeks. I increase or decrease carbs accordingly. It's based heavily on weightlifting so I don't want to throw out the recommendations as they may not be right for you.

If you have to weigh yourself more, go for it but don't make changes until at least 3 or 4 weeks in. It takes time for your body to respond to changes/adjustments.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Dinner with family was great. No nutritional information, so used some known chains to guesstimate. Looks like between what I had leftover from yesterday and my overrun from today, I came put just about even. I have that great refeed/full feeling, too, which help heading in to tomorrow.

The weather is a pile of suck right now. Slushy snow, which is awful to run in. I don't mind cold, but slushy wet is terrible. I'll decide in the AM if I will run outside or if I'll head to the Y treadmill. I'd rather do a few wet short miles than treadmill, but we'll see.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    My weekend weight swing was WAY better this time around. I'm always a little heavier on Mondays simply because I eat more on weekends, regardless. My upswing is still within my "range" so that makes me feel a lot better. Now, just have to repeat this pattern. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    With my college son home last week, and all of his requests for food, we at well. Too well. I'm up many pounds. I'm hoping it's mostly water weight from carbs, and the after effect of yesterdays long run.

I've decided I need to do something different. Either quit tracking calories and only eat good things to the point my hunger is satisfied, or bear down and and ruthlessly track my calories like I used to do.

This morning I thought I'd go the no tracking route but now I think I'll do a better job tracking.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I was sick with something on Saturday and between decreased appetite and being stuck in bed until around 2 pm (and then straight back to bed after supper) and eating light yesterday morning pre-race I actually came pretty close to calorie goal both days (slightly under in fact). Up 0.5 lbs from my last weigh in 10 days ago but that's most likely normal fluctuations.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I made applesauce in my IP Saturday and had a slight problem. What a mess! I'm glad I had a towel nearby or this would have been all over the cabinets and counter. I had no trouble the first two times I made it. Not sure what happened.
    tl08mo5hd34a.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @7lenny7 wow. That's a mess. Yours looks like it had an overflow tray on top. Mine doesn't. Did it ruin the sauce inside?

I sent my son and his new girlfriend an IP. I got a text from him today that they love it and he's going to make "all the yogurt"!

I'm headed to the store in a bit. No idea what to get other than regular necessities.

I'm still set on doing recomp. I hit my macros yesterday. Today's eh... I ate KFC tenders. Dh is obsessed with B&J's ice cream, so I might load up some halo in case I get tempted. Tomorrow is my first full day at work, so I need to to plan a lunch and at least one snack.

So what's for lunch this week?

And

Your favorite lean protein?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Lunch for me is usually lunch meat, cheese, fruit and maybe some crackers or chips.

Fav lean protein is chicken. I also like ground turkey for tacos.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Fave lean protein? I like tuna, and also I sub ground chicken instead of ground beef to a lot of dishes. I also like chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

Lunch today was leftover bagged Caesar salad and a PB&J sandwich. We didn't manage to get grocery shopping done this weekend. Tomorrow will be supper leftovers (spaghetti and meatballs, all of it packaged/store bought - sauce, noodles, meatballs).
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

I like tuna. Chicken is okay. I found boneless chicken thighs, which I like the thigh. So I plan on (IP) cooking them up and portioning it out in to 4 or 6 oz servings (I gotta do some protein math).

I love chickpeas too. But they are a migraine trigger, so I stay away from them. Same with lunch meat. I love it but it won't love me back. (And PB, but I can do almond).

Still no real food plans. I bought beets just because I like them. So I cubed them and tossed then in the IP with carrots. Step 1 towards a healthy snack.

I'm going to also boil up some eggs for the week.

If I'm good this week think I'll reward myself with a small lunch steak, egg, avocado, salad, garlic tomatoes from Chili's. Idk I already missed my 30 minutes of cardio today... Recovery day?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I have a question regarding the diary, nutrition information.

Mine is set 126g protein, 126g carbs and something for fat (I usually eat all the fat I want).

Why does it say my goal today is 139g protein? Yesterday 162g, day before 103... Ect. Is it just taking from a weekly allocation?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @Elise4270 I think it allocates macros based on % of your total daily calorie allotment. So if you log exercise calories it increases each macro proportionally.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I think it allocates macros based on % of your total daily calorie allotment. So if you log exercise calories it increases each macro proportionally.

@Elise4270 yup, it's a setting that gives you more cal/macros for workouts. It can be turned off. I don't remember the setting and I'm not at a computer right now to look.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ugh... today I ate all the foods... like seriously, I think I counted 5 breakfasts, and that’s just what I remember.... plus lunch, plus snack, and probably would have had multiple afternoon snacks but I couldn’t find anymore foods in my bag. I’m stuck in trainings the rest the week. The logical side of me is thinking that will help, as I will have no access to food.... the rest of me is wondering how I will get second breakfast. #eattinglikeahobbit
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks @sarahthes and @RunsOnEspresso . I'll look for the setting. I've been here for 8+ years and you can see I've never minded the macros.

I don't see it on mobile, I'll check the full site.

@7lenny7 I am now getting a calorie adjustment on my Garmin steps I'm mfp. I changed my setting from "very active" to "sedentary". So there maybe something to it, why you get adjustments occasionally. Just a thought.