Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Another weekend of basically maintenance eating, which means another week of pounding down the same 5lbs. Not super bummed about it, just tired of this ebb and flow. I guess letting in more social eating really makes this much harder.

I'm super ready for warm weather, which will probably mean a hike on the weekend in addition to my long runs.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    What's your plan for the week?

My usual breakfast of 4 scrambled eggs with diced onions, diced red peppers, shredded "power greens" (kale, red chard, spinach), and either feta cheese or diced ham, all sauteed in a little coconut oil. 420 calories

Lunch is usually carrots & hummus, 2 hard boiled eggs, honeycrisp apple and a big orange. Since I've now bought a total of 54 cans of Kirkland canned chicken I'll start substituting that in every other day. I also have some Siggi's at home I need to bring in. I try for 500-550 calories for lunches.

Supper and snacks, there's the real struggle. My older son comes home tomorrow and will being making some pheasant & wild rice soup for him. He also wants steak and shrimp, and also wants to try the new Cajun seafood restaurant near our house.

After being so excited about 203 pounds, my weight bounced up to 208 the next day. *kitten*!! It only makes me more resolved to get it to 199.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Breakfast sounds awesome!

I want pizza. On average I've done good that last 10 days or so. So I'm sure that why I think I want high calorie food.

My weight is finally steadying. I just have to hold on to that.

I think I'll give in to a frozen pizza. Half is 350 calories. And if I eat the whole thing, I should be able to manage.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    My plan for the week is protein. I didn’t run yesterday because of work (walked about 5 miles though with monster hills!) and today is my daughters day off so we are hanging out. I hope to get a good run in tomorrow. One of my walks was to the grocery store for bread and bananas. Since my daughter is home so little there is not much food in the house. I also got some cheese and crackers but forgot carrots. I had the Costco chicken tortilla soup and leftover salad (arugula, quinoa and chicken) for lunch. I couldn’t figure out what I wanted for dinner so I had more soup with extra chicken. I was good on protein but had way too much sodium for the day. I am cooking chicken and dumplings on Wednesday and then we are out Thursday night and through the weekend.
    I read this on the Map My Run blog today - good information but not really anything earth shattering. Things we should all keep in mind though as we try to lose a few pounds....
    http://blog.mapmyrun.com/runners-can-drop-last-five-pounds/?utm_source=mmf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MMRun_Newsletter_20180313&os_ehash=55@sfmc:11225523
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have a pukey kid in my house. I... don't deal well with that. There is a decent chance I won't eat much for the next week due to sympathy nausea...
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I've been super janky. Just have to stay away from cereal. I'm still holding steady, but no real losses to report. My long runs are about to get longer and I'll be adding one additional trail to my easy runs during the week as long as weather permits during my son's soccer practice. This will give me some extra calories, but it is so, so hard not to eat them all.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    My plan is to volume eat. Smaller breakfast (fewer than 400 calories) so I don't get hangry, then lunch around 600 calories. Today is two Special K crustless quiche, mini bagel with 1/3 fat cream cheese and pumpkin butter. 150g each of cucumber and carrot. I'm falling apart in the afternoons after work/before dinner so aiming to have food in my belly. I'm making bad choices when my stomach gets to call the shots, so I'm not letting it get to that point. Once it does, it's ALL the food, and specifically ALL the cereal.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Clearance Christmas candy, specifically chocolate, has been my downfall lately. I was doing good limiting myself to one piece per day but sometimes it becomes much more...like last night. I did throw out all the marginally good stuff I bought, but I'm not throwing out the really good stuff. I'll be stronger about limiting myself to a single piece per day.

And I must admit, I've grabbed a handful or two of cereal from time to time though my overall consumption is WAY down since Lent started. I do have 4 big bags of Quaker granola in the pantry and that *kitten* don't eat itself so I'll have to deal with that eventually. Maybe make it my long run snack? Nope, already got caramel waffles (Stroopwafel) for that. I stocked up when Aldi was selling them. Just like the honey stinger waffles but much cheaper.

At least I'm getting more running in which will hopefully offset the calories.

• Elise4270
    Options
    The calorie "deficit" got me. Or its the steroid shot wearing off. I know that makes a lot of folks hungry, but it just the opposite for me. So now that's worn off I'm super snacky.

I ate pizza and Ben and Jerry's last night after already have hit my calorie goal. I'm not going to be able to get back in my work pants comfortably anytime soon.

@shanaber thanks for sharing the link. You're right it wasn't anything new, but it's a good article offering reinforcement. More we hear it, the more likely it'll sink in and become habit, I hope :smiley:
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I've been bouncing between 152 > 158 for weeks. It's Thursday and I'm down to 153 and hoping I can hold it together this weekend to not spike up again. I have a 10-11 mile long run planned for Saturday and need to meal plan my weekends I think. I'm usually a little looser, but I'm not sure I have that leeway now.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Last friday: 152.8 Today: 152.4. Did a nice job keeping it dialed in this week, even with a crazy Monday with a work lunch that included salsa and chips and mini chili rellenos.

Just gotta keep it straight this weekend. Long run tomorrow, aiming for 9-11 miles on trail, so I'll need some extra, but have to avoid hitting the cereal late. Perhaps I'll plan a nice steak dinner to look forward to. Steak. Baked potatoes. Broccoli. Hmmm. I think that's gonna happen.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Great job there @fitoverfortymom! Mmm, steak!

Well now that my PT visits are over and I'm feeling stronger, I have the desire to stick to my "do better" goal. I think I'm on to building glute and adding leg muscles. Hooray!

I'll look to getting that bosu ASAP. Squats are hard on it, but I think it's paying off.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    I am doing great on running days and coming in way over on non-running days resulting in maintenance. I guess I'm okay with this until after my half marathon. Once that race is past I think I will work on increasing running days. Or go back to walking on non-running days since it will be warmer and the sidewalks ice-free. And also light in the evenings after the kids go to bed. Or a combination...
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think I need to put calories, macros, active calories, weight in a spreadsheet and track it week to week. This mfp isn't giving me the info I really need. It looks like Garmin has the data, I just can't view it the way I want. I need some trend data.

question if I keep at a slight calorie deficit/maybe even maintenance, but keep my protein high, can I gain muscle (with resistance training)?
    I tried to think this out but found I was just caught in circular reasoning.
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Iam doing great on running days and coming in way over on non-running days resulting in maintenance. ....

I think that's a good place to be when activly training. When's the half?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Well i studied my trend data in a Google sheet. I can't make much out of it just yet other than weight is up with carbs and down with protein. Protein is down when carbs are up, and vice versa.

I'll have to study on it some more. I am looking to find that sweet spot where i can hold, or gradually lose and increase activity time. IDK if its much use... Least while my calorie expenditure is fairly limited... or is it? hmmm, perhaps i can add more cardio time. no no no.... I'm adding muscle during rehab time.. stay focused ding dong, one goal at a time.

Heres the sheet if anyone wants to look at their data. Feel free to copy my tab and add your data over it. Then you wont have to remake the chart, unless you make a better one. :smiley:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    There is some circular reasoning to what I have encountered on that question Elise. In technical terms, you can’t gain mass while on a deficit. In anecdotal evidence, people get stronger and get better muscle definition while on a deficit/cut. So, if that isn’t “building” muscle, then what is it? I am a firm believer in strength training, and even if my weight doesn’t change, I am happier with body composition while strength training. And often times my weight is more forgiving with poor diet if strength training.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks @hanlonsk ! I figured that there's no way the body is always in a deficit when eating at a minimal deficit. So some hours in the day we're building/recovering others loosing fat/muscle.

• Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @Elise4270 I think lifting at maintenance or very very slight deficit is how you recomp isn't it? It's slower than cutting but gives better results is my understanding.

Half is in three weeks! Once it's over I think I'm going to switch to an intermediate 10K or 15K plan since the rest of my racing season is a mix of those distances. I'd like to work on getting faster, which is where I think weight loss will really help me.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I think lifting at maintenance or very very slight deficit is how you recomp isn't it? It's slower than cutting but gives better results is my understanding.

Half is in three weeks! Once it's over I think I'm going to switch to an intermediate 10K or 15K plan since the rest of my racing season is a mix of those distances. I'd like to work on getting faster, which is where I think weight loss will really help me.

Yay! I love the Half and shorter distances.

Thanks for the info. Its all new to me. I haven't spent any time studying body building. Maybe I should...
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    There's tons of info on recomp on the Maintenance boards. I lurk there in the hopes that I'll be there some day... LOL