Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I love potato pancakes! I'm down with homemade comfort food!

@7lenny7 I'm gald to hear between Lent and the group you've done better with the cereal. I'm going to guess that you could replace it with latkes. Just think of all the calories expended in food prep and cooking.

I think we need to build a fire pit (er clean ours out) and cook exclusively on outdoor fire. I watch too much TV. Tortillas, veggies...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Fridays have been the days I usually fall off, so I planned and prelogged my day. So far so good. I've really been focusing on food volume and that helps so much. I'm not crazy about watching my macros, but have noticed I'm way more solid when I hit my protein and keep lower fat/higher carb. The damage I did last week has disappeared, so I think if I can power through this weekend, I can conquer these last few lbs.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @rachempoo and @Elise4270 I need your input.

Looking for an authentic Hungarian goulash recipe for the instant pot this weekend. If found a few, but I want to know what you think would be the most authentic (or as authentic as could be when cooked in a pressure cooker rather than a long, slow simmer). You can disregard the meat, I'm using a big venison roast for this.

Option A
    Option B
    Option C

A fourth option would be to make the recipe Elise posted but cook it in the IP instead. Regardless of the option, it will be served over potatoes. I was going to make a pot roast with potatoes originally and that's what I have.

• 7lenny7
    Oh my, potato pancakes, how could I forget...my grandfather, born and raised in the Black Forest region of Germany, emigrated to the US as a young man. He would make potato pancakes for us a day or two before Christmas. He'd grate the potatoes and onions and fry them up. The smell would permeate the house for days, as well as your clothes. So. Damn. Good. So much grease and oil you'd get a gurgly tummy if you ate too many (which I did). I don't think they were latkes, I think they were just grated potatoes and onions, seasoning and some sort of oil/grease/lard.

@fitoverfortymom those names don't sound familiar.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    So now I want potato pancakes! May have to go to the German Club for breakfast this weekend if we can fit it in. German pancakes with a side of potato pancakes! :) Best be sure to get in a really long run though!
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    @7lenny7 All the receipes look close to "authentic". Or at least authenticity inspired. I've never put sour cream in it, I bet it's good that way. That's how we eat chili.
    I'd pick what sounds best to you. I didn't use an IP recipe for the caccatorie, I just said "oh ya, that's what goes in it" and added enough broth to make sure it wouldn't scald. The goulash is soupy anyhow, so I don't think the liquid volume will be a factor. Dh personalized his by adding tobasco and dried minced garlic. That's how we roll around here.

Here's what I have as Goulash from a library book in the early 1990's when we ate kosher. Idk what makes it "Jewish". I go light on the caraway, it's one of those things I like in moderation.
    59oxwc5q4c1k.jpg

I can email that file if you want.

ETA (spelling errs) I use to make an herbed lamb stew that was magnificent too. Lamb is hard to find here, I always have to run to OKC or Denton for it.

And... I recommend the (canned) San Marzano tomatoes if you don't have access to good tomato's. Some if the other canned ones don't sit well with me. They are expensive, but I like them much better.
  • Elise4270
    Regarding potato pancakes... Dh makes fried potatoes and onions like that, with so much oil. I'm thinking about making some latlkes/potato pancakes (I think it's all the same) with apple and putting them in the waffle iron. Haha! Take that grease!
  • Elise4270
    shanaber wrote: »
    So now I want potato pancakes! May have to go to the German Club for breakfast this weekend if we can fit it in. German pancakes with a side of potato pancakes! :) Best be sure to get in a really long run though!

OMG! There's a pancake House in ft worth Texas that makes German pancakes! Oh they are sooo good! Wish they weren't 2.5 hours away!
  • Elise4270
    I threw some Bisquick, egg, milk, grated potato and apple in a bowl and put in the waffle iron.

The potato is seamless. It's like I used potato flour, the apple is still there in bits. I think I could have used less Bisquick mix, they were fluffy thick and could have had more of a hash brown texture. Overall it was good. Might be something I keep in mind for pre race fuel.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Potato pancakes... here's my dad's recipe, which is my grandma's recipe except I think she grated the potato instead of using the blender.
    peel 4-5 potatoes. cut into small cubes and put in blender. add I egg. 1/2 cup flour. 1/2 onion. 1 clove garlic some vegetable oil. should mostly fill blender. blend smooth. fry. don't turn until well browned. garnish with sour cream, seasoned salt and apple sauce.

One caveat, it can burn out less powerful blenders! My dad learned this the hard way...

Not sure what we are doing for supper tonight. But lunch is birthday party food. Cut up fruits & veg, kid-friendly appies, and Red Velvet cupcakes.
  • Elise4270
    Thanks for sharing that potato pancake recipe @sarahthes ! I saved it. And the potato casserole recipe too! I just need to figure out the mushroom gravy without a can.

I have a morrocan potato casserole recipe that I use to make the kids when they were little. It had turmeric and peas in it. Probably other stuff I can't remember.
    sarahthes wrote: »
    All your talk of family dishes is making me want my grandma's potato casserole thing she made with mushroom gravy. Basically potato pancake batter baked in a casserole dish. Ultimate comfort food.

I have been having trouble maintaining a deficit but my macros haven't been great either. Need more protein & fibre, less fat & sugar. I think I've been eating mostly at maintenance but I've been avoiding the scale.

I've still been getting on the scale, I just roll my eyes and don't log it in my weight trend app. The trend is sadly V shaped. Did good, lost.. then all the way back up. :neutral:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    @Elise4270 Don't be afraid to play with proportions for the recipe. That's my dad's attempt to write down a recipe that originally included "some flour - not too much, but enough" as the measurement...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Was it @7lenny7 that mentioned a taco pasta? Because I need that recipe.
  • Elise4270
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Don't be afraid to play with proportions for the recipe. That's my dad's attempt to write down a recipe that originally included "some flour - not too much, but enough" as the measurement...

Works for me. That's how I cook. Look at the ingredients, throw them together based on how much I like each one.
  • 7lenny7
    edited March 2018

@RunsOnEspresso here's the one I used
    http://foodyschmoodyblog.com/instant-pot-taco-pasta/

I like the ratio of meat/noodles in that one. But yeah...like @Elise4270 it's rare I follow recipes exactly unless it's baking.

I did get a "Burn" warning on my IP when I made this so I ended it early, giving us some pretty al dente pasta, which I liked. Not sure what I did wrong there. Turned out great though. Simple, easy, comfort food. I'm not sure what advantage the IP gave me, other than not having to drain the noodles. I browned the meat in a separate pan because I didn't think I'd like browning it in the IP.

• Purplebunnysarah
    I think we are doing sous vide chicken for supper along with potatoes cooked on such a way as to use up a bunch of the basil or dill I harvested yesterday. I like the immersion circulator. Was terrified it would give us all food poisoning before I read up on it, though. We have an ANOVA. I think what sold me is they are basically repurposed lab equipment...
  • Elise4270
    I did New England style clam chowder today. I got impatient with the slow cooker setting on the IP and it on a quick pressure cooker setting. Not the best idea. But I was perdy sure at the time it wouldn't be.

It all tasted fine. If I do it again, I'll just pre cook the taters, or put it on a quick 20 min pressure cook then add the half and half.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    My BIL is here from Dubai and leaving tomorrow... he wants El Pollo chicken so that is what we will be having. We went out for Mexican last night (again) because he cannot get it in Dubai. I did well and had chicken and carnitas fajitas again and brought half home. I need to think up something for dinner tomorrow and Sunday we are meeting friends in LA for an early dinner before they get on a flight to NZ. Seems like so many people coming an going to exciting places!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@RunsOnEspresso here's the one I used
    http://foodyschmoodyblog.com/instant-pot-taco-pasta/

I like the ratio of meat/noodles in that one. But yeah...like @Elise4270 it's rare I follow recipes exactly unless it's baking.

I did get a "Burn" warning on my IP when I made this so I ended it early, giving us some pretty al dente pasta, which I liked. Not sure what I did wrong there. Turned out great though. Simple, easy, comfort food. I'm not sure what advantage the IP gave me, other than not having to drain the noodles. I browned the meat in a separate pan because I didn't think I'd like browning it in the IP.

No instapot for me but I bet I could do this as a pasta bake. And we always do our pasta al dente because leftover gluten free noodles are best that way.

Assuming we are having lots of meals out this weekend. Parents are maybe staying with us Sat & Sun night.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Got a little carried away yesterday at my son's birthday party sleepover. Had a few handfuls of chips, a slice of pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut and 2.5 servings of thin mints. Not as damaging as previous weeks, and still right back on the wagon today. Not perfect, but better. Maybe this is how normal people eat anyway?