Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Hubby brought home chocolate chip hot cross buns yesterday. I think I need to get him to stop buying those. However, something I ate really disagreed with me so perhaps they didn't do as much damage as they otherwise might have.

Race is done for this morning and ugh, but I'm on track for calories so far today and I'm feeling better. Will talk to hubby about buying the hot cross buns. I'm the only one who likes the chocolate ones and I don't like the ones everyone else likes, so I won't be depriving anyone if I ask him not to buy them again. Or maybe if he does, he can put them straight into the freezer...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes Good idea to drop them in the freezer. Anything dh brings home that isn't chocolate, I toss to the dogs if it temps me. I am sure mine is keen on sabotaging me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Was able to all but wipe out yesterday's splurges. Prepped and ready for another good eating week. I'm focusing a lot on volume and protein.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    I wound up with a -1000 deficit for the day which mostly wipes out yesterday afternoon (and I ate a lot today - I was just really active). Most of my food choices today were okay. No meal prep for the week yet - have to go grocery shopping after work tomorrow.
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 All the receipes look close to "authentic". Or at least authenticity inspired. I've never put sour cream in it, I bet it's good that way. That's how we eat chili.
    I'd pick what sounds best to you. I didn't use an IP recipe for the caccatorie, I just said "oh ya, that's what goes in it" and added enough broth to make sure it wouldn't scald. The goulash is soupy anyhow, so I don't think the liquid volume will be a factor. Dh personalized his by adding tobasco and dried minced garlic. That's how we roll around here.

Here's what I have as Goulash from a library book in the early 1990's when we ate kosher. Idk what makes it "Jewish". I go light on the caraway, it's one of those things I like in moderation.
    59oxwc5q4c1k.jpg

I can email that file if you want.

ETA (spelling errs) I use to make an herbed lamb stew that was magnificent too. Lamb is hard to find here, I always have to run to OKC or Denton for it.

And... I recommend the (canned) San Marzano tomatoes if you don't have access to good tomato's. Some if the other canned ones don't sit well with me. They are expensive, but I like them much better.

This is very close to what I grew up on and make at the Festival of Nations. And yes, sour cream makes everything better.
  • rachempoo
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @rachempoo and @Elise4270 I need your input.

Looking for an authentic Hungarian goulash recipe for the instant pot this weekend. If found a few, but I want to know what you think would be the most authentic (or as authentic as could be when cooked in a pressure cooker rather than a long, slow simmer). You can disregard the meat, I'm using a big venison roast for this.

Option A
    Option B
    Option C

A fourth option would be to make the recipe Elise posted but cook it in the IP instead. Regardless of the option, it will be served over potatoes. I was going to make a pot roast with potatoes originally and that's what I have.

Option A is for Pörkölt not Gulyás and yes they are similar, but there is a difference. I think it is the pörkölt that gives people the idea that it is a noodle dish as that one is served over noodles (or rice and sometimes poratoes) while gulyás is a soup and with a few extra ingredients not included in pörkölt like celery root and caraway seeds to name a few.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks for the information @rachempoo ! You have any other yummy recipes to share? What a treasure to have you here with us!

I want gnocchi, I can't say I've ever had it, it's just something I know I'll like.

I am totally revamping my "carb" foods with awesome real foods!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks, @rachempoo !

I ended up making something like Option C but with no bell peppers (I wanted my son to eat it...he shot the deer), double garlic, smoked paprika +chipotle instead of hot paprika (didn't have any), half the red wine vinegar and a like amount of red wine, skipped the tapioca flour, and diced tomatoes instead of tomato paste. I also added potatoes and carrots, since I had them on hand for the pot roast i was planning on making originally.

Recipes for the IP I found called for a 35 to 60 minute cook time. I went 40 minutes.

It was meh. Neither the kid nor his girlfriend liked it. I found it to be ok but no better than the stew I normally make. I can't blame the recipe since I changed it so drastically. The potatoes didn't hold up well and they were mush. Carrots were awesome though. And the venison was cooked well.

I'm making @Elise4270 's version next time and stick to the recipe, other than using the IP, and venison.
  • rachempoo
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I like Lenny's Option A but no broth or cornstarch and made with mushrooms (white button & portobella) instead of or in addition to the meat.

Gnocchi is delicious! If I remember when I get home I will post my recipe for spinach gnocchi.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    YAY! MY WEIGHT IS DOWN A BIT!

I had a steroid shot last week and ya know it does strange things. I just wanted to eat fried chicken. So I ate KFC tenders for 3 days and my weight is down 2.4 pounds! Haha! All the tenders is mine!

I had the last orthodontist adjustment yesterday, not sure what I can eat today..... *Thinking* ..... maybe more fried chicken? Or another batch of caccatorie. Haha! Take that carbs! *Colonel *kitten* slaps the carb monster*

I'm still up 3.3 pounds for the year. *Sad sad face*.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm at Fuddruckers.... It's quite. I have a beer. Fries and mayo. Southwest burger. There's a couple here that seems to be on a first date. They old. Graduated before I was born.... I think he's a shoe sales man. Names bill. He talks a lot. With food in his mouth.. he was "great back in the day". He's a bitter gossip too... Oh shame on you Bill, that's no bueno on date 1, you poor ol insecure angry sap. I wonder if she's checked out yet...

Someone come drive me home the last hour. Me bellys full and I wanna'nother m'dello... Urp.. Bill's lonely. I should take his date shopping.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    A case of the rungries today, but kept it in check enough to keep me at maintenance today. Still waiting for boy kid to finish at soccer practice so we can get dinner.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've been making popcorn for a crunchy, salty snack lately. Using that fake spray butter to get the salt to stick, then sprinkling on some chipotle powder for a little kick. Omg does that taste great!

Last weekend was tough since I found my stash of clearance Christmas chocolate. Trying to limit myself to one piece per day but with little success. Thankfully I'm starting to ramp up the miles so can get away with a little indiscretion now and again
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I ate a ton of starburst jelly beans last night.

I bought chobani last time at the store for some different flavors. I forgot how runny chobani is. And the flavors were meh. They were on sale so I thought I'd give them a chance. Probably won't buy again.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I don't usually like Chobani (not thick enough and smells funny), but I had the banana flavor the other day and it sure was good!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I had the vanilla chocolate chunk this morning and the flavor was good. I wish it was thicker though.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Lunch yesterday wasn't quite enough calories and that's a trigger for me. Managed to wipe out 2 days worth of deficits. Sigh. Need to get a stash of something I sort of like but won't munch mindlessly to keep in my desk at work.

I'm not at work today though. Got a kid with a fever who may have a stomach bug (he's refused anything but liquids all day, and there's a bug going through his dayhome). Hoping to avoid it myself. I am the handwashing and Lysol queen.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I like Tillamook the most. Very thick, even their 2% variety. Not a lot of flavor choices and my favorite of their flavors is full-fat and I'm stingy with my calories.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I haven't tried their yogurt yet. I try to get ones with high protein (over 10g at least)
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I think Tillamook is at least 12g. I do the same thing.