Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Good luck on your weight loss. I too found that fat loss and running is an impossible balance. I hope you find what works. I look at some of these marathoners and wonder how they have such low BF. You know that are eating and fueled. Maybe I need a personal chef/trainer and deeper pockets.

How's your luck with a high protein diet?

The trick here, is going to be how to manage your diet when you come off of the weight loss cycle. Will it land you extra pounds? And will you'll be caught in a cycle?

I've found, that I just can't out want/out wit that metabolism/hunger/snacky/bad choices. If this is you, I recommend just finding that something that you can indulge in. Mines soup, and Halo top. The high protein kills my appetite. As does skipping breakfast and early snacks. More often I eat, the harder it is to control the cravings. Open a "eat window". Mines 8 hours from first bite of the day (coffee doesn't count).

Examine stress and sleep. Is this an area that needs improvement (we all need improvement, just is it feasible without moving to a tropical island...deep pockets, a personal chef and a trainer).

Start small. Identify one thing you can control and change. Then "Make that Change" (sorry for the Micheal Jackson reference- too catchy to resist.). One thing.

No motivation? Find it. Make it up. I use doctor appointment dates. Lie to myself (which is fine as long as I know the difference) that I'll be showing off my progress. I'm sure no one cares or notices, but it does offer some motivation because I can pretend it's important, not arbitrary. Make the date mean more than it just being a mark on your calendar. That day, your gonna walk past or interact with someone that is inspired by you. That day is the day to lead, to help, to love another human being desperate for your direction. IDK man. Something like that. Just know your progress matters. So make it matter. Reward? Cool sculpting? Botox?

This is all just food for thought. I'm brainstorming here.

Best of luck/insight/progress/island/trainer... don't forget me when... :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Also have you tried cooking with it? I saw a pancake mix with added protein powder and was thinking that could be an easy thing to do?

I've thrown it in recipes on a whim, like waffles. But we don't make then very often, once a year maybe. Mines mainly used for smoothies. The quest brand needs more liquid than the others. I've added minimal liquid to a few scoops and called it pudding. Not super good, but if you think your brain is somehow going to get over on you and youre likely to find yourself the wrong side of sweets... It'll work. Haha!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 Good luck on your weight loss. I too found that fat loss and running is an impossible balance. I hope you find what works. I look at some of these marathoners and wonder how they have such low BF. You know that are eating and fueled. Maybe I need a personal chef/trainer and deeper pockets.

The trick here, is going to be how to manage your diet when you come off of the weight loss cycle. Will it land you extra pounds? And will you'll be caught in a cycle?

I've found, that I just can't out want/out wit that metabolism/hunger/snacky/bad choices. If this is you, I recommend just finding that something that you can indulge in. Mines soup, and Halo top. The high protein kills my appetite. As does skipping breakfast and early snacks. More often I eat, the harder it is to control the cravings. Open a "eat window". Mines 8 hours from first bite of the day (coffee doesn't count).

Examine stress and sleep. Is this an area that needs improvement (we all need improvement, just is it feasible without moving to a tropical island...deep pockets, a personal chef and a trainer).

Start small. Identify one thing you can control and change. Then "Make that Change" (sorry for the Micheal Jackson reference- too catchy to resist.). One thing.

No motivation? Find it. Make it up. I use doctor appointment dates. Lie to myself (which is fine as long as I know the difference) that I'll be showing off my progress. I'm sure no one cares or notices, but it does offer some motivation because I can pretend it's important, not arbitrary. Make the date mean more than it just being a mark on your calendar. That day, your gonna walk past or interact with someone that is inspired by you. That day is the day to lead, to help, to love another human being desperate for your direction. IDK man. Something like that. Just know your progress matters. So make it matter. Reward? Cool sculpting? Botox?

Best of luck/insight/progress/island/trainer... don't forget me when... :smiley:

@elise4270 I've been back on a zero carb plan for a couple of months now and haven't been losing (though I know I'm eating too much). I know the only macro I really need is protein (and certain essential fats, fish oil), so the plan for weight lifting days now is to just eat nothing but zero carb protein powder. I'm hoping that helps. I tend to do a lot better if I just eliminate something. Allowing a little bit of a problem food is like giving an alcoholic "just 1 drink." It will not stop there.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@elise4270 I've been back on a zero carb plan for a couple of months now and haven't been losing (though I know I'm eating too much). I know the only macro I really need is protein (and certain essential fats, fish oil), so the plan for weight lifting days now is to just eat nothing but zero carb protein powder. I'm hoping that helps. I tend to do a lot better if I just eliminate something. Allowing a little bit of a problem food is like giving an alcoholic "just 1 drink." It will not stop there.

That's me too. It's not one cookie or one scoop of ice cream, it's one container. Easier to just skip it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

That's me too. It's not one cookie or one scoop of ice cream, it's one container. Easier to just skip it.

Same here. Whole package.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I think I am the sole 'moderator' in the group... I can eat 1 cookie or a spoonful of ice cream. It satisfies me and then I am good. It is when I start eliminating things that it gets crazy...
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I'll still come in under calories today, but super stressful day and I decided on having my yogurt/cereal with my breakfast and got jalapeno popcorn and oreo thins for my snack. Oddly, way more satisfying than I thought it would be and even though I could have eaten more, being able to eat a package of cookies and a bag of popcorn is just what my psyche needed today.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I think I am the sole 'moderator' in the group... I can eat 1 cookie or a spoonful of ice cream. It satisfies me and then I am good. It is when I start eliminating things that it gets crazy...

For many things I'm a moderate. Ice cream for instance. I'm content to take one spoonful, put the container back, and slowly enjoy that spoonful. Same with peanut butter, beer, and bourbon. I generally will have just one beer and that it, or just a small shot of bourbon, and that's it. The key for me is to learn to savor.

• Elise4270
    Options
    I did okay yesterday. Close enough on my macros, not over on carbs. I am seeing the scale move ever so slightly up, half a pound. That's within normal fluctuation for me.

I'm up 0.6 pounds this month vs last month I was up 2.8 (22 days in). So that's improvement. But I'm gradually adding more exercise. So to discern diet vs exercise at this point is impossible.

I noticed some improved muscle definition on my right thigh, left is still pudding with zero definition- but I think that's from the surgery when nerves were cut. I'll ask the doc about it. So hooray! For muscle growth.

I'm not unhappy with my physique at this weight. It's definitely leaner than a year ago at the same weight. It's just gonna get better from here. If I don't f it up
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

For many things I'm a moderate. Ice cream for instance. I'm content to take one spoonful, put the container back, and slowly enjoy that spoonful. Same with peanut butter, beer, and bourbon. I generally will have just one beer and that it, or just a small shot of bourbon, and that's it. The key for me is to learn to savor.

Similar. I moderate most things, but there's certain things where I must eat all of the thing. Cereal and pizza are in that category. I'd say things like cookies and candy are also in that category, but I tend to not have the calories for them anyway and I have to go out of my way to buy them, so they tend not to be problematic.

Ice cream I can eat a portion and be fine, with no desire to eat a whole pint. I even eat Halo Top in 4 individual servings over the course of a week.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Ugh, there were layoffs at work today and I'm really glad it's running day because I can run off my emotions instead of eating them. Only 2 people gone, but both senior and both people I worked with a fair bit. Sigh.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Ugh, there were layoffs at work today and I'm really glad it's running day because I can run off my emotions instead of eating them. Only 2 people gone, but both senior and both people I worked with a fair bit. Sigh.

That's never an easy situation to navigate. Least it's over. We had a spell for a year where we we're in limbo.

Enjoy that run.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I'm getting better at it. I used to be able to do that but after my celiac diagnosis I kind of went off the rails. I've been eating just what fits in my calories lately.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

That's never an easy situation to navigate. Least it's over. We had a spell for a year where we we're in limbo.

Enjoy that run.

I basically ran flat out (dropping to a walk when I needed) for 8 km today after work. But I feel some better now.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Morning all! Hope your week/weekend went/is going well.

I have completed my first week towards sloppy recomp (I don't want to claim recommend when I am not doing the gym sessions), thus a sloppy step towards recomp. ...hmm I may email my PT about that.

Anyway, I have week one data and would like some feed back.
    Options:
    1) keep calories where they are and continue to add exercise/weights as possible. Maybe give it another week?
    2) lower calories (-100/day) and add exercise- I've had low energy so I doubt this is feasible.
    3) other suggestions?

The data:
    Net Calories and weight trend. The blue dot marks last Sunday when I began. Although I did readjust my macros mid week once I found some additional info on recomp. I have since hit my macros or close, never over. 35%p, 45f, 25c.

eycmp55w5ha4.png

89ob3lau48s2.png

I'm looking for a plateau. You can see how much varriation there can be in my weight. I have no idea why the weight variation has tighten up, other than the addition of PT strength exercises.

TIA.

ETA... Well I may now see something I missed. I typically don't look at gross calories, but wanted to show that I am eating in my maintenance range, 1253-1628. My aim is over by *86-123 calories a day.

*(??? 1526-1440=86 but 863/7=123 ... That doesn't jive. *Sigh* thanks for making this SO easy mfp. )

I still need advice. But may now consider tightening up the calories.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Dh has upped the temptation. He had been getting cookies, cookie, and more cookies. Now he frequently buys ice cream. Ben and Jerry's no less. I got him the slices since he isn't like me and doesn't need to sit down and eat the whole pint. He just had one for breakfast.

I thought about having one last night. I'm not sure what kept me from getting into them. I looked at my macros and despite it being potentially an off day, I was still doing good, so I went to bed.

I think I'm okay with ice cream in the house. Fingers crossed he doesn't start buying tater chips. I love a crunch.

Yesterday we were deciding how to fix the hamburger meat, and he said hamburger helper. I thought he was joking. I've never bought the stuff. Then we found ourselves in the hamburger helper isle and I balked. Compromise was to make beef stroganoff from scratch.

He's gone into bachelor mode.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    I've been eating a LOT of calories on my non-running days but my weight seems to be trending very slowly down, probably because I don't come close to hitting goal (once exercise is factored in) on running days (because I normally run in the evening). We are talking 0.25-0.5 lbs/week. I am okay with this. Once my half is done I will have to figure out a new strategy though.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I would say don't change anything after a week. Changes can cause weight fluctuations. Most changes need at least 3-4 weeks to work themselves out. If after a few weeks it's trending upwards look to adjust intake or exercise.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I'm wondering if my insane carb cravings that I ultimately give in to are dehydration related. I really only want to eat carbs when I get the urge--usually things like breads and cereals and crackers--not so much sweets like candy.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm wondering if my insane carb cravings that I ultimately give in to are dehydration related. I really only want to eat carbs when I get the urge--usually things like breads and cereals and crackers--not so much sweets like candy.

It can be for me. Usually in the evenings I think I want sugar. Cold water does the trick.