Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo. I’m so sorry! The digital frame is a great idea. Hope he makes an improvement both physically and mentally.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo uh that's rough. I understand it is hard for him, physically and emotionally battling something so scary alone. Will earbuds on his phone help him hear at all? I love the idea of the digital frame. My computer had this whiteboard program that allows you to share and interact, which is a novel idea in this situation if they had just whiteboard tablets, assuming his eyesight is good enough to read and write. (ya hear me Microsoft? do something?). Can he color? I know it's childish, but something, if he's able to engage and it was always satisfying to complete a page. How about a stuffed animal? it's like having something/someone with you. It is well known and an adopted practice in long-term care facilities. I just ordered a stuffed cat for DH's g-ma. Maybe he'd like a lion as his companion and protector?

My heart is with you. Prayers for him.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,104 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas @swenson19d . I don't think he would color. Not sure about a stuffed animal. He did try to call me on the cell phone, but he couldn't hear me. All I could hear was him breathing. Hoping to do a FB chat with him and his nurse in an hour or so. We are also trying to set up a FB pace for him with one of the family member's extra ipads, so we can all FB video chat with him and send him video's of the great grandkids, if he can figure out how to work it. Shouldn't be too hard with the nurses help. It's just so hard not being able to be there with him. I know some people who say, "They wouldn't keep me away from my husband/dad." But, what are you going to do?
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Good to hear they have a plan to keep him connected to the family!

Bob
    ...is the only family member who understands me. I decided to drag the sponge mop around today since it's been a bit and I noticed the accumulation of Dh coffee drips. Usually, it is a real chore to mop. I still have to mop through the pain, but I did not have to change the mop water once. I did only get the kitchen, dining area, my bedroom, and bathroom. Bob even made mopping easier. I love you bob-o. Before bob, I could mop all day and never ring out clear water. Everyone needs a bob.

Scale
    We are taking a break from one another. Communication issues. LOL! I am scared to get on it.

Food
    No idea yet, maybe cereal with blueberries.

Bear.
    has a double chin. LOL. I assume it's going to be a cold winter and he's saving up. His bday is in 1 week and he'll be 2. Grown-up! now he can get a job, go to college, do his own laundry... He is studying how to become a chef. haha.

GPA
    I am still waiting on my pharm grade to post, but assuming it is a B my overall undergrad GPA is finally over a 3.5 at a 3.516! yay! include my graduate and dropped classes and I have a wonderful 3.36. Which is fine, just means I had some struggles.

Future plans
    Violin on tap for today maybe after I have some tylenol and check on the outside cat. Pt tomorrow, which I am tired of. I'm not "fixed" and dun wanna no more. My back, SI is horrible all the time and I may (probably will), see if I can move my April appointment with the hip surgeon to earlier. Just waiting to find out my schedule next semester (clinical/lab assignments have not been made). I may go out to the cemetery tomorrow after PT. IDK. I keep thinking I'll just lay down and die there, so I haven't allowed myself to go. I have some little votive electric candles, I thought maybe I'd put one in a mason jar and take it out there instead of flowers, since its cold. leave candle not die. I also can journal in those books I got, weather permitting I can take my violin out there too. so, see. much to do and not just die.

ok. I'm going to listen to some material for next semester. (yup, been stalling).
  • ddmom0811
    Options
    @swenson19d - lol Bob sounds great!
    Lol you and the scale have parted ways!

Did a 25 min run outside for streak, day 20, then stripped down through on shorts and hopped on Pellie for a 20 min ride. DH asked if I was going for a swim next. Nope.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I have 2 digital frames and just love them. I literally find myself stopping and watching it as it scrolls through pictures. I gave one to my husband for a 30th anniversary gift, with pictures from when we started dating to the present....pretty special. I think this will be great for your dad. It would be great to get him some version of hearing aids as well.

@swenson19d I really need a Bob in my life....I think we could be very happy together. Grades are fantastic with what you have been through.

@ddmom0811 Glad you are staying active....we need to do a ride together....remind me of your LB name....I'm #LostnAustin. My PZ challenge ends this week and I think I am going to skip the next one starting in Jan to focus on shorter rides, some runs (we bought a Tread....which keeps getting put off for delivery) and mainly strength. Riding too much doesn't help muscle build.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,104 Member
    Options
    Not good news. We were able to see dad yesterday/last night. At first he was doing really good and then took an instantaneous turn downhill. His oxygen level is at 65% this morning, so just a matter of time, the nurse said. We are hoping to get to go back to be with him today. There's no guarantee with CoVID, which is horrible. Not feeling chatty. Will check back in when I can.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    dreams.. AKA a bunch of nothing
    Bob woke me this morning from a dream. All my dreams seem a bit morbid. Last week I was climbing some white wooden stairs to go see Alex. When I entered his "apartment" the size of a bathroom he was about 8 years old half on a mattress with his head on a paper plate. The plate seemed symbolic of a halo from Walmart. I'd been wanting to put a halo over one of his pictures. I laid down next to him to hug him (regret I didn't go see him before the ME took him. But I couldn't leave DD given the situation). I go to hug him and his arms stiffly try to choke me. My feelings of not helping, not saving him I guess. Another quick dream was "Winston is going to die" IDK who winston is. but winston sounds like swenson (Alex's last name) but I clearly heard winston. Perhaps it the cigarette company?

Anyway. Bob woke me from rounding up rats that the maintenance guy kept putting in the apartment building. My cats and I would catch them and throw them out. They kept biting me, and I couldn't find my cat, KD (Kekule- kids called him kadee and it stuck). Then this guy sleeping on a couch in the foyer wakes and I explain the guy keeps putting them in here to insulate the building which won't work. Then I realize it's a kid from school (not really tho). I look up and a dang rat is climbing on the curtains. but when I grab it, it's a small rat-like kola with a belly like a grey coconut, a name tag and a stretchy thin gold collar, the small red name tag says "OGGI". Oggie is sweet and nice and doesn't bite me.

I am not awake yet.
    I was going to journal these dreams in a grief book, but here I am- half asleep trying to move past the rats.
    I am out of truvia for my tea
    Bob didn't even do well on his first assigned task that wasn't "everywhere". I gave him an F and he is sitting in his corner re-thinking his map.

PT later today. boo. The cold makes my rodded leg ache.
  • swenson19d
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Not good news. We were able to see dad yesterday/last night. At first he was doing really good and then took an instantaneous turn downhill. His oxygen level is at 65% this morning, so just a matter of time, the nurse said. We are hoping to get to go back to be with him today. There's no guarantee with CoVID, which is horrible. Not feeling chatty. Will check back in when I can.

oh *kitten*. I am so sorry @quilteryoyo I am so sad right now.

I wasn't self-absorbed and posted nothing before reading your post, it apparently didn't update until I posted my ramblings.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - you do not have to worry about being chatty here! I am still hoping and praying for a miracle for your dad. I am so glad though that they have let you see him and be there with him. Sending you love and hugs and hope!
  • ddmom0811
    Options
    @quilteryoyo. I am lifting him up in prayer as well as you and the rest of the family.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Put in the other post, but putting it here too, thinking of you @quilteryoyo
  • bearly63
    Options
    @quilteryoyo thinking of you and your family today and saying a prayer for healing. Hugs <3
  • swenson19d
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I reached out to my hip surgeon's office via whiny email. My back is not getting better. I can not get any sleep. I had to cut violin short because my back wouldn't have any more of it. Wonder if I can play laying down.

Not awake. Can't breathe. Back is on fire.

DD helped me with a grocery list last night. We both need to do better than the packaged foods dh gets. I haven't made Thai hot and sour soup in a long while and it sounded good. Pick up isn't available until Friday.I want to do a 30-day soup diet to get back on track.

Birds and Bears
    We have a bunch of birds with the cold, I decided they were a chickadee of sorts. Dh said they were swollows, but they are too small and in my trees. I think bear gets depressed that he cant catch them. He found a tiny skink the other day, I rescued it and release it. He's fed, he's just playing and I like the little things.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - I hope you can get in to see the surgeon and get some relief for your back or at least figure out what is causing the pain. We may have talked about this before but have you ever looked into acupuncture for the pain? I know for some people it works well (placebo affect?) and others not so much. My brother is in chronic pain and it seems to help him, the affects just don't last a long time.
    There was a hot and sour soup featured in the NYTimes the other day. I will see if I can find you the link.
    I finally downloaded a free app called Merlin Bird ID. It is from the Cornell Bird Lab and works pretty well. You can enter a picture or a description and it will show you different birds that are similar and found in your area. I also got one for plants called Picture This so I can tell what the flowers are I see and think I want in my garden.

I didn't feel well yesterday, just really down and unenthusiastic about doing anything. We are having our driveway redone and I had to be up early. I hadn't gone to bed until after midnight because I get so wired up from running at agility. So I was exhausted too and that seems to have a major impact on my mood. They started breaking up the old concrete at 7am and the whole house was shaking. Dh took Hobbes to doggy daycare so he wouldn't be freaked out all day. He didn't want to go either, Tuesdays are usually a rest day for him too. I finished putting together all the Christmas boxes for sending to family and I think that made me sad too knowing we aren't going to be able to see dd or anyone over the holidays.
    Driveway pictures under the split:
    Before:
    cnbtw3r2u2yd.png
    They had cleaned up and I thought were done for the day when I heard the beeping of a truck backing up. Thought they were loading up the equipment so I went out to take a picture and they were unloading the dirt and gravel base.
    oyyh68xrq89l.png
    Today is going to be a better day. I am going for a walk/run at a minimum. I am also going to try doing some yoga every day/evening. I have been doing the moves for my hamstring pretty consistently before I run but I did a deep stretching one last night that showed me just how tight I am, everywhere.

@quilteryoyo - You have been in my thoughts all day yesterday and now again today. I wish I could just hold and comfort you. I am still hoping for a miracle for your dad and hope you and your mom are doing ok.

• bearly63
    Options
    @swenson19d sorry your in pain! I hope you get some relief. My chiro mentioned dry needling to help "unstick" my back that is really fired up right now. I think its kinda like acupuncture. I may give it a whirl.

@shanaber I often find my best recipes from NYT cooking. I just made last night the Maple Salmon that was on there yesterday. So easy and so fantastic. We loved it. I hope you can get some sleep and lift your mood....I don't do well when I am exhausted.

Well...I am happy to say that my second mammogram today lead me to an ultrasound and once that was done, the radiologist said that what they are seeing is a very small lymph node and that it is fine. I naturally questioned her to make sure that I wasn't confused. They said it was not cancer and now that they have it in my report, they can compare in the future. I am happy but also, will be very cognitive if I notice anything.....

Hope to get a ride in later.....just didn't have the bandwidth in me this morning before my appt.

• shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d I found the recipe! Here you go It looks delicious!
  • swenson19d
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @swenson19d I found the recipe! Here you go It looks delicious!

That soup looks good. I just need someone to make those dumplings for me! I am trying to make a stuffed pastry with peas and potatoes in a curry. I suppose if it fails I'll turn it into a coconut pumpkin curry and serve it with rice. Back is still horrid. I will probably have to take a tylenol to get dinner.

Back.
    Thanks for the thoughts all. I've had dry needling for my hips/IT band and it worked in some parts. There was one spot it just wouldn't calm down and was really bad, but that was before the IT band sx back in 2018. I just wish I knew why the heck it hurts so bad in the middle of my back. ribs and shoulders. The lower back can be the hip, maybe the rest of it is too? But I am so lazy, I can't imagine that I am straining it with violin all of the sudden. The PT thinks it's my posture. Well sure, but why is my posture so bad? Not because I want it to be, it's because I am accommodating the WTFert is going on. I think I have ankylosing spondylitis now. Me bones betray me. IDK really. Just worse and it is frustrating. I hope Dr. Martin has an answer for me soon. The Pt said "I saw the way you were sitting (in a crooked slump)" And I reply "uh huh, I was tempted to lay down". So asking me to sit up isn't going to help miss, just cause spasms.

It's tylenol time.

@quilteryoyo Thinking of you. Know my heart breaks in this situation for you and your family.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I'm so so sorry. Kia kaha
  • bearly63
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I saw your caring bridge post. I am so very sorry. I am so glad you were there for him and could be with him. Prayers and Hugs to your family .