Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I had also read the thing about tart cherry juice before bed being good. I've never actually seen any of it here, so haven't been able to try myself. If you can get it though I can't see what you have to lose trying. Also, melatonin has never given me nightmares if you still haven't tried it. Again, what do you have to lose?

More of me moaning below, sorry!

I had a bit of food related meltdown yesterday/last night. I managed to not allow myself to stuff my face with junk, which was all I wanted to do, by giving myself a stern talking to and putting myself to bed. Fingers crossed I can get through today as well.
    Food is always a difficult topic in our house. I've been a vegetarian all my life, my husband is not. I cook some simple meat but cannot bear the smell of fish so refuse to try and cook that. A couple of years ago my daughter decided she also wanted to become a vegetarian (I had always given her the same as her father was getting). That in itself caused no end of fights and agro, including my MIL telling me if I allowed her to become vegetarian she would get sick and die. Oh yes, side note, my husband NEVER cooks or helps decide what to eat, just sits at the table and waits for food to be placed in front of him. Then complains if it isn't food he wants to eat.
    Yesterday, for example, I was making chickpea and spinach in tikka masala sauce with rice. He came home early, asked what we were eating and threw a tantrum when I told him, saying I was trying to make him vegetarian and all sorts of crazy *kitten*. I had to make him sausages in the end. Another side note, he has very high triglycerides and gets bawled out by his doctor every 6 months for note eating better. He won't eat most vegetables and don't even try to feed him anything boiled, he freaks out if I try to give him pulses. In Spain we have our main meal at lunch time and a light meal at night. If I serve up a soup or a salad he immediately has to go find some salami or something and bread because even if his dish is twice the size mine is he claims it isn't enough food. Then he moans that he's fat and unhealthy and he doesn't know what to do about it. Umm... hello????
    So, anyway, I got distracted. We had a row about food with him bitching about my not eating meat or fish and watching my calories is 'ruining his life'. Seriously.

Then as if that hadn't put me in a great mood already, I had to go to a store that stocks British products to look for something I have been trouble getting. Of course, the shelves were packed with sweets and chocolates and biscuits and stuff that I used to stuff my face with and really miss. I bought myself a bag of sweets which of course I'm going to have to ration very carefully because I just want to sit down and inhale the entire thing now. Stupid me.

Left me ending the day all depressed and fed up with not just being able to stuff my face with whatever I want to. All the stuff going on at the moment, worry about my dad, worry about my daughter, worry about my own health, not being able to do very much of anything making life in general as boring as hell, not even being able to vary running routes, is getting to me and yes, I will just try to bury my emotions in sweets, biscuits, crisps and chocolate if given half a chance.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Seems like 90% of the class is have the same issues. Today they realized that there are glitches in the transition to a new "better" system. Ugh. I really am fine with B's .

@quilteryoyo good luck with the food. I'm are with surgery your body has different needs and effects your choices. It did me, er does. I still can't get it together.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Oh good lord @eleanorhawkins ! I don't understand why men or people get threatened by their partners diet and decisions. Perhaps you can just anticipate that he wants to eat like a 15 year old and let him deal with his docs disapproval. mine complains too about being unhealthy, but it is on him- he is the one putting it in his face and I just shrug it off. Can you do some meal prep to make it easier on you?
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Oh good lord @eleanorhawkins ! I don't understand why men or people get threatened by their partners diet and decisions. Perhaps you can just anticipate that he wants to eat like a 15 year old and let him deal with his docs disapproval. mine complains too about being unhealthy, but it is on him- he is the one putting it in his face and I just shrug it off. Can you do some meal prep to make it easier on you?

The funniest thing (yeah, no, but hey what can you do?) is that when I do that and automatically give him crap and we're having something he decides he wanted too then he tantrums that I'm leaving him out on purpose. But if I say 'hey, we're having *whatever*, do you want some or something else?' he complains that I'm putting pressure on him. I mean, really, WTF? One day I will win the lottery or find a job that pays enough to get out of this. Or I guess I could just keep filling his arteries with fried *kitten* and let nature take its course...
  • swenson19d
    edited February 2021
    Options

The funniest thing (yeah, no, but hey what can you do?) is that when I do that and automatically give him crap and we're having something he decides he wanted too then he tantrums that I'm leaving him out on purpose. But if I say 'hey, we're having *whatever*, do you want some or something else?' he complains that I'm putting pressure on him. I mean, really, WTF? One day I will win the lottery or find a job that pays enough to get out of this. Or I guess I could just keep filling his arteries with fried *kitten* and let nature take its course...

Lol! Yours is as mental as mine is! Tell him he eats both!

Eta you win the lottery I'll run away with you!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

Awesome, where we goin'? It must be warm but not too hot and have a pool. And no hills. No snow. And no men. *kitten* men.

• eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @rheddmobile yeah, I was laid off when our daughter was 6 months old and we decided at the time that I would do freelance stuff from home while she was growing up. That turned into me doing absolutely all the cooking, housework, etc. because I'm at home and now if I ever say anything I'm told it's because I earn less than he does. The fact that sometimes I am working twice as many hours is apparently not relevant. Funnily enough, when I did get a (highly stressful, very *kitten*) job for a couple of years I still ended up doing 90% of the home stuff too. Funny that. Now, well I'm 43 with a pretty empty CV apart from my frelance stuff and together with current situation nobody wants to hire me. Oh well, one day.

Right now I just need to persuade myself out of the mindset of being kind to myself involving overeating.

Postman just brought me my Run The Year stuff finally. Only took like 7 weeks to reach me. I love it, it's cheered my afternoon up a lot!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hugs @eleanorhawkins my response would be that he needs to cook his own damn meals. But that's easy to say from the other side of the world. Also he sounds like a typical brit "must have meat and potatoes" type attitude abd based on your MIL (that's a whhole other conversation) I'm guessing that's where it comes from.

Can you have a conversation with him when it isn't meal time, come to an agreement? If not, I would be inclined to bring out the cook your own food answer.

I realise I have it incredibly lucky. My husband is a house husband who does all the cooking. I've taken lately to weighing all my meals, I used to just eye ball it. I do this by putting my plate on the scales as he's serving and asking that he humour me. He rolls his eyes a few times, but since he's also trying to lose a bit of weight, and I'm losing faster than him, I think he's starting to notice the difference and doesn't complain.

I just want to give you a big hug. Relationships are hard

ETA we posted at the same time.
    I really think you should talk with him about things. That's really unfair. Do you want the next 40 years to be like that?
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @Avidkeo actually typical Spanish macho brought up in an old-fashioned, chauvinistic (or however you spell it) household. Yeah, I wonder why I married him now too. The silly stuff we do as youngsters, huh.

Anyway, enough of my moaning, I love you all and don't want to swamp chat with my rubbish. Anyone know any good jokes?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,072 Member
    Options
    Big hugs @eleanorhawkins . I have no sage advice for you. Hang in there and hopefully things will get better. Did you hear how they caught the great produce bandit? He stopped to take a leek. :open_mouth:

Today is another sad day for me. I drove down to mom's to spend some time with her. While I was there, my neighbor, the one who was my designated person for my surgery, called to let us know that his mom had passes away this morning. She had been sick for a couple of weeks with some heart issues. She was in a nursing home for rehab so they could hopefully bring her home next Monday. I really feel bad for them because, of course, they weren't able to be with her in the nursing home. I wouldn't doubt that played a role in her passing. She would have been 94 on the 20th of this month. She lived a good, long life, but it's still hard.

I came home and decided I needed some fresh air, so did my daily walk on the driveway. It was 34° F, with a feels like of 28°F. Still, it didn't feel too bad. I think I needed it. Anyway, I did 2 miles at 3.6 mph.
  • swenson19d
    Options

Awesome, where we goin'? It must be warm but not too hot and have a pool. And no hills. No snow. And no men. *kitten* men.

Lol! Idk hawaii was nice. There are men but if the lottery is big enough we'd just buy an island.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    You know what's worse than cycling up hills? Cycling up hills in a strong head wind. I tried and gave up about 1/4 the way up the hill. Wasn't worth having a heart attack over.

Stationery bike again this morning, strength and cycle to and from work. Had a busy day, and spent the last 2hrs basically standing in place wearing 5kg of lead. Tired.

Foods been good. Scale moved a little down this morning. Hanging out for the scales to say 67.9. Been hovering in the low 68s for the last week. Had thought it might have happened yesterday, but instead it went up lol. I know the individual numbers don't matter, but it's a nice milestone. I'm really hoping to hit 66kg this month.

Now making my own dinner. Thinking cheese and ham omelette with ice cream for dessert
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I am going to post an update tomorrow morning. It is late and I want to get to bed...

Did read thru and wanted to send @eleanorhawkins a big {{hug}} I can relate but my dh's answer is to just go out and buy take away. I think if it were left up to him he would get fast food for every meal and actually has on some days! Recently I have been able to slowly get him to try new and different, healthier foods. Why are they so stubborn about trying to be more healthy?
    @rheddmobile - that is what my mom told me too! Basically don't ever be completely dependent on anyone but yourself!
    @quilteryoyo - {{hugs}} to you too!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    You're doing great @Avidkeo. That scale will move soon! I was never good at riding a bike uphill. I'm impressed that you do it without wind.

Thanks @shanaber!

I actually slept pretty good last night. I had to get up to pee 4 times, but no trouble falling asleep or going back to sleep. I'm so glad that I decided to forego the Melatonin for one more night or I would have thought that was why. :lol:

I didn't get a chance to enjoy it as much as I had hoped though, because I had to get up early to open the gate across my driveway. The part for my heat pump came in and they are supposed to be here "first thing" to fix it. Waiting on the call that they are on their way.

I also got a call yesterday that the part for my built in microwave is in. They will be here this afternoon to fix it and fix the freezer section of my kitchen refrigerator/freezer. The freezer works fine, but the drain hole has been iced up, so that after a few defrosts, the water runs out into the floor. Don't judge, but this started right after my husband died, 14 year ago. I was able to clear it for a while, but then it wouldn't clear. I am one who believes you should use what you have until it totally quits, so I have been hammering the ice out of the bottom of the freezer section once a week for years. I mentioned it to the guys when they were here a few weeks ago and he said the issue is that someone decided to redesign the drain system so that it has a drain trap to keep the "warm" outside air from getting in. So, basically, the trap gets full of water to keep the warm air out, but it also eventually freezes up and there's no good/easy way to clear it. Hence, it gets stopped up. He said he can clear it, but it takes about 45 minutes to do so. I'm willing to have him do that and will watch to see what he does so that I can maybe do it in the future, if needed. I'll be glad to NOT have to worry about that for a while anyway.

Because I am going to have repairmen here most of the day, I decided to postpone getting Tippy until tomorrow. I didn't want her to come home, just to be tied up or crated most of the day.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

@eleanorhawkins My husband can be a pain in the derriere too sometimes....he doesn't always like a non meat meal but I am trying to have at least one a week....He will cook when he has time but it means i am getting pasta or something heavy.

@quilteryoyo I love the 2.2 math!! so cool. We had a similar problem with our fridge - the whole drain section had frozen. Found a you tube video and we were able to fix it. I want a new one as its pretty old but waiting because we need to update the kitchen. Glad your sleep is coming back. You will be back to eating, exercising and sleeping well soon!

@avidkeo you are doing so well....great job! I don't like wind in general, running walking or cycling.

@swenson19d We are having crazy weather. 83 today in Austin and then snow and ice next weekend. That groundhog needs to go....Glad they figured out the tech problems in submitting work....hang in there. Hawaii sounds so nice!

@rheddmobile That is such good advice. I took years off of my career because we moved when I was 6 months pregnant and moved again a few years later with little ones. But I was offered a part time job when they were 6-8 and I have kept it ever since. I don't make enough to support myself but I could if needed. I will tell my daughter the same....always keep your foot in the door and skills up and have our own acct.

@ddmom0811 OMG....your teeth are beautiful....so worth it. I need to work on mine.....need bleaching (which of course can't be the cheap over the counter kind....because they are more gray which don't bleach well. And some fine tuning with cosmetics.....gum recession. Yay.....so fun to age. You do not look 59 young lady! 39-49!

@shanaber I am finding it struggle to get enough protein. But just being more aware has helped and I need help setting the right amount of calories and thus macros. Going back and forth between a daily calorie goal with avg exercise or what I have always done - a minimum calorie goal and adding back exercise. Once I decide, I will then know my daily macro targets. I try to eat a high protein breakfast either eggs, with cottage cheese, or a smoothie but then I add protein powder....like Iconic or Tera. I add protein powder to Kodiak cakes....I cook up some chicken and gnaw on that. I add Vital protein collagen to my coffee - dissolves completely. We shall see....tracking makes me obsess more about food....wish I could just eat healthy, move my body and be done with it.

Question for the runners:

Does Strava workouts sync to the MFP diary for updating your workout calories burned? I use an apple watch which I have set up to update my Health App, which then has permission to "write" date to MFP. My exercise diary gets updated automatically. My Peloton bestie wants to do this with her Strava tracker....so it updates her calorie burn into MFP exercise diary. Is this possible and if so how? What does she need to do? She has it synced to MFP but its not adding into her diary. There must be a missing step.

thanks all.....have a great day!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    I am so irritated right now. The original schedule to get my heat pump fixed was Friday morning, between 9:30 and 10:00 am. They called yesterday and said, "Due to the weather, we have had to do some rescheduling. We will be there first thing in the morning, if that is okay." Sure. So, as I said above, I got up early this morning, when I could have used the sleep I was getting, to open my gate in the 17°F temperatures. At 9 this morning, I called to see where the technicians were. The person on the phone said they were scheduled to come first thing tomorrow - Friday, not today. I know it is a case of simple miscommunication, but I'm still irritated. Wouldn't you think that "first thing in the morning" would mean tomorrow? In his mind he was just rescheduling from 9:30 to 8:00 the same day. Now my day is all messed up.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @quilteryoyo grrr why do some people seem incapable of doing even the most simple things like rescheduling an appointment right? Glad to hear you slept better but angry for you that it had to be cut short for nothing :(

@bearly63 you just made me laugh because my husband actually watched me put spaghetti into a pan of boiling water the other day and was then fascinated watching it cook.

I'm doing some really really boring work today (translating accounts reports). We see my daughter's therapist this evening to see what he has to say. And I have a lump in my breast again. I'm fairly sure it's the same one I had to have drained some time ago that has filled up again, but at 43 and with a family history of cancer I can't just assume. So I have a phone appt with my gp tomorrow to tell him about it, and I also want to ask him to run bloods and stuff due to the craziness that is my hormones at the moment. I'm terrified of going to hospitals under the current circumstances but telling myself that I need to pull my head out of the sand and stop trying to hide from stuff.
    All of the above means I'm having to be very firm with myself to stop myself from inhaling that entire bag of wine gums I bought the other day. Cause damn I want to!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @quilteryoyo oh thats so so frustrating! I hate tradesmen. Sigh.

@eleanorhawkins lol watching a pot boil eh. Maybe he's in the road to redemption. Hugs on the lump. Glad you are getting it checked out

Today, I'm annoyed now. Scale back up to 68.5 grrr. Could be due to the extra cycling this week - extra exercise and all that. Also period is due in less than a week, so could possibly be retention. So annoying.

@bearly63 I don't think strava talks back to MFP but no idea sorry
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @Avidkeo yeah, good job I'm a saint cause oh boy was there some temptation to throw it over his head!
    I was still toying with postponing the dr appt for a couple of weeks to see if it goes down on its own. Then he phoned.... "hello it's dr Rodriguez, you have an appointment tomorrow but it's going to be a busy day so I'm phoning my favourites on the list this evening instead! What's the matter, darling?"
    Oh hell lol. Anyway, he said to go in and let him "have a feel" on Wednesday afternoon and he'll refer me if he sees fit.
    All so uncomfortable since these phone appointments. He is WAY too friendly and affectionate, whereas in person he's very sort of professional and clinically distanced.