Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Wonderful news!
    @Avidkeo Will be rooting for you tomorrow!

I know I could have things much worse - right now we still have water, albeit dirty water, and heat, and if we manage to get through tonight the temperatures will start to go back up. But I am so fed up with all this. The roads are a little clearer today so I wondered if any restaurants would deliver yet. Nope. Because all restaurants are ordered closed indefinitely because of the boil water alert. All. Of. Them. And since the cold has caused damage to underground pipes there is no idea how long this will last. Could be months. Memphis has really good water so I have never needed to drink bottled water, have none on hand, and you can’t buy it now for any amount of money. I also discovered it’s really tricky to draw blood without being able to wash my hands. I don’t have alcohol wipes because they stopped being available due to Covid a year ago, so I just washed well. Now I can’t. I have one small bottle of alcohol and some makeup wipes which will have to last me.

Amazon still has my zint cacao powder, which is my one indulgence. It’s in Memphis but they have no delivery date due to weather. And I am rationing it. If I run out before it gets here you will hear a grown woman cry like a toddler. I am also going to run out of test strips before those get delivered.

If I can make it to Sunday the roads will probably be good enough to drive out to my mom’s which has a well, so there’s that.

Re: the food situation. I was really hoping I could get a restaurant delivery because after tomorrow we don’t have anything for a main meal. I made jambalaya yesterday with some frozen shrimp and the one sausage we got from our grocery delivery. We can put in another delivery order - but the store has no food! As I said before, we won’t starve, but I am gonna have to get creative with canned tuna.

Our motto right now is “could be worse, we could be in Texas.” Sorry Texas! I know there are people there who are really in a life or death situation which makes me feel guilty about complaining. We have food, such as it is, and water, and heat, and we don’t have to worry about children, which I think must be the worst thing in this kind of situation.

The other thing which is making me depressed is nobody is getting to eat my birdseed except grackles. I didn’t even see any birds yesterday except grackles, about a thousand of them. (Not exaggerating.) Since grackles have been known to literally murder songbirds I am worried.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,069 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @shanaber A mental day off is just what the doctor ordered some days. Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about the mix up in the food though. I would have been disappointed.

You are going to do so good on your HM @Avidkeo . Enjoy the carb loading.

@CMorning99 Good for you for being in for 22 years. Recruiter lied? Imagine that. LOL Glad you enjoy it and hope the young airman's fiancé knows he thinks he is marrying a maid. Sounds like you are a great leader. We need more of you out there. Great job on tracking calories and being smart about how much you are exercising. Hope the new shoes work out.

@rheddmobile You are in a tough situation. I agree it could be worse, but that doesn't mean it's not bad where you are. Hang in there. I hope the weekend warmup makes things better.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    I got to drive myself into town this morning! Yeah! It's the small things. I made a couple of stops and then got my hair cut. Another yeah! You know it's getting bad when one of your best friends comments about it. I decided to take a before and after picture for you guys. Of course, this morning, it decided to behave and really didn't look bad. I took the pictures anyway.
    o9tjy1u7qhhj.jpg
    Before - notice two things - the hair sticking out over the ears and the bit of snow in the background. That's all we had today.
    eiibsmigshn3.jpg
    It doesn't look a lot different, but it a lot shorter.

I was tired again when I got home, but went on down to the basement to do my treadmill walk. I just did a steady 3.4 mph pace for 44:08 minutes - 2.50 miles.

Food: I went to the grocery store hungry. Bought chips. Had just a few this afternoon. I'm hoping I can resist the rest of the day since my "official" weigh in is in the morning.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - try setting it to 'Flag' and see if that gives you the trash option. That is what mine is set to. I had my iPhone connected to my Windows PC (before the MAC) through iCloud but many iOS levels ago. I could not get texting to work from my PC but I understand it 'should' work. You might try a Google search and see what the text experts say. I also find the Apple support community (not Apple support) to be helpful but you have to sort by most recent or you see things from a year or two + ago or filter by current year or something.
    What is the flashlight on the Home Screen?
    @rheddmobile - I hope with the weather getting better the restaurants will have food delivery again and the stores will get restocked! I am not a huge tuna fan so I have no suggestions there for anything innovative.
    Also can I say I hate grackles? They are just terrible birds and make such a mess! I hope your songbirds are ok!
    @quilteryoyo - I don't think your hair looked terrible before but is definitely cute with the shorter cut! BTW you are doing awesome with your treadmill workouts!
    @CMorning99 - @bearly63 and @ddmom0811 both have Pelotons and I, like you, just have the app. I did the 6 month trial and then went ahead and paid for it. I use the strength training workouts as well as the outdoor runs and walks. Right now I can't always do the full run intervals or run fast the way the workouts are set but I still enjoy listening to them. They are motivating and keep me thinking about my form and the time just flies by.

I was feeling great this morning (no pain!) so headed out for a run, doing my 1 mile walk to the trail first. Not long into my first run segment though my hamstring started aching so I walked until it felt better then tried running little bits again here and there. Coming back home I realized (only took me how many months???) that when my hamstring hurts, my knee hurts, then the other hamstring and my calves and, and, and. I am sure my form fails once the aching starts in. So tomorrow regardless if I feel great I am walking and then taking Sunday to strength train. I do not want to injure anything else trying to run now and hopefully walking is enough to keep things moving and not have scar tissue build up.

I kind of failed on food as I ran later and completely missed lunch. Dinner was tabouleh chicken bowls which I really liked but DH ate the chicken and not much of the tabouleh. Guess I won't be making them again...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber ! Like I said, my hair looked pretty good yesterday morning, before the cut. But the last week it's been awful. Seems to happen that way a lot. I am so sorry that you aren't able to run right now. I've forgotten, sorry, what did the doctor say about your hamstring? Is there anything they can do to make it better?

I failed with food last night. I wasn't in the mood to cook. I had bought a rotisserie chicken, so decided to just have a chicken sandwich....which obviously meant I had to have some of the chips with it. I did only have a few then, but later gave in and made dip and had chips and dip during Jeopardy. I KNEW I shouldn't have opened the bag yesterday. They call to me when I do. Also, why I don't buy them. At least this was a regular sized bag, not Family size, and I didn't eat them all. I did however, gain almost 2 pounds overnight....the ice cream at 10pm may have contributed to that too. LOL I was in one of those "eat everything in the house" moods last night. Hopefully today will be better.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    It seems my M-F week is so busy I can only check in on the weekends. I almost started this post with "Class," because I have had a lot of work with the online class I'm teaching! When I am not at my regular day job, I'm working on the online class

I took this coming Monday off because I am exhausted. have barely left my desk at work and my neck and upper shoulders are so tight! I have my standing desk and little cycle machine under the desk. I do get up and stretch but not enough. My students' final course project is due on Sunday night so I figure I will grade those Monday. However, I do have several students in Texas that I gave an extension to so I'll probably grading during the week too!

I'll try to catch up on what's been happening here after I go lift! At the condo for 3 days and it is going to be unusually cool for Florida in Feb, but that's okay. I can run in the afternoon.

As for food/weight - still the same (higher than I want). But I have been a little better with sugar. @quilteryoyo - I had a day like your fail one day this week. Almost exactly the same - except for chicken.

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I tried flag. All it does it flag it, to follow up on later. Oh well. I can use a different app for mail like outlook ant it will delete stuff. It is just the default Mail app that is stubborn.

Cori
    Has another vet appointment. He sill has diarrhea. I have been making him eat kibble and limiting the wet food. I gave him yogurt and a cat probiotic yesterday and cheese in hopes of slowing his GI system down. Other than that, he has no outward signs of an issue. His coat is nice, he plays and eats fine, he's become quite the trouble maker. He really wants to go out and will just ninja past if the door is open. So I have some outdoor training to do with him.

Dh disappeared this AM
    and i slept until near 11. its noon and I am just getting about, tea and trying to stretch away the stiffness. With the doc's mention of the neuro... I thought perhaps I should reach out to some MS groups, man they are uppity. That's fine and all, I can go back to being in denial that anything is wrong with me. Dh is put out with all my aches anyway. Woe is me... yadda yadda yadda.

Food
    Did fine yesterday until DH brought home tacos... yes, I suggested them. mmm from the Mexican food place... mmm beans, rice, tomatillio sauce, liquid cheese and tacos al pastor. I was a glutton with the chips cheese beans and tomatillo sauce as a dip and hulu. I need to get back to the real food diet. I suppose it could help with the pain too.

Weather
    Snow is melting , it seems calm out, and it is sunny. Perhaps I can try to talk dh into taking me for a walk, see how long I can I manage to be upright. I have exams next week, and haven't gotten in any violin in 3 weeks (schedule and pain sitting upright). So I think some "exercise" will help me. Love how weather turns into pain management and thoughts of revisiting the PT.

Very few birdies. Just a few chickadees and yellow goldfinches.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile Thanks for the reminder on the pain loop. I forget that is a possibility. The PT will do the direct current stimulation, like TENS but I guess TENS is alternating current. Any way it is suppose to retrain your muscles to fire appropriately and not just with any random stimulation, like a hug or touch or stretch or walking or breathing. I will try to make sometime for the PT.
    Too cute on the woodpecker buddy! And I am glad to hear you are sane, removed the impalement potential, and got some good food delivered. Sounds like a win any day! At least if the heat had to go, it was on an upswing in temps. I was ever so thankful when things timed their demise in concert with do-able timing, like my car's clutch going out as I pulled into the drive way (ages ago), flats when dh was with me, etc.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in, MFP community does not like my phone.

Did well yesterday and had an evening run. It felt moderately hard, but I also reversed my loop to see if the hills were better (easier) going the other direction.... they were not lol. Calories were good for the day but went to bed a bit hungry.

Today I am being lazy. I did a few small chores and have been tracking my calories. I have a rather labor intensive hobby that I have been ignoring all week. Yet here I sit drinking tea. The old kitties are enjoying the afternoon sun and breezes and DH is playing in his new laptop setting up his astronomy software.

Tomorrow I run and I was looking at my planner I keep for tracking everything I do regarding moms estate and my friend has evidently signed me up for a 5K on the 26th if March and wrote it in my book LOL

Have a lovely weekend and be kind to yourself!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.
    Ate all the food yesterday. But you know run today! Am exhausted. Will write a race report in the main thread. Summary, race went well, I completed and in less that 2:15 which was my main goal. I'm bugged that the course was long by 300m. But that's life I guess haha.

Am now on the couch and may have a nap later.

Food so far has been oatmeal, orange juice, banana pre run. Then post run banana, mcdonalds bacon and egg Mcmuffin with hash Brown, coffee and small fries lol. That may have been a mistake. Stomach is not happy. I'll eat lightly the rest of the day I think.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @ddmom0811 You are busy! Enjoy your 3 days at the condo! I hope you get a break from work soon.

@swenson19d I hope you can figure out what is going on with Cori. Glad you were able to sleep in. Hope you can get some relief from your pain.

@rheddmobile I love that you speak woodpecker. :lol: So sorry about your heat going out. Glad you have a space heater to keep you warm and that the weather is warming up too. Hopefully the worst is over. Those icicles can be dangerous!

Congratulations @Avidkeo ! Great run. I'll head over and read your race report. Hope your stomach starts to feeling better.

I had looked at my thermometer late morning and had in my head that it was near 50°F. Good thing I looked before I actually went out to take Tippy for a walk because it was only 30°F! I did do our normal route into the neighbor's field. Slipped in the mud and fell. I was glad it was so quick that I didn't have time to react. I just landed on my behind with no harm, except muddy pants. It was too cold to walk to mom's, as intended, so I drove down there and walked another mile on the driveway after it warmed up a little.

Food has been bad again today. I had chicken and potatoes for dinner and then immediately finished off the potato chips with dip and had ice cream. I really think I am stress eating. Just a lot going on. It will get better, or I will learn to control my eating, or both.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - sorry you are so busy but I am glad you are taking a 3 day weekend to relax a little. Are you teaching another online class after this one?
    @swenson19d - I had to believe there is some other setting I am missing since all iPhones work the same... well at least on the same iOS. So I searched and found this on Google. Maybe it will help?
    I hope nothing serious is wrong with Cori and the vet can fix him up! It is good that everything else seems fine so maybe just an allergy? Do cats get food allergies? I know dogs can.
    Even if you can't get out and truly exercise maybe just getting outside and moving a bit will help you feel better in general? IDK getting outside in some fresh air and even a little sunshine always makes me feel better.
    @rheddmobile - love the woodpecker story! Hope all your little feeder birds return with the warmer temps. Also so glad you were able to get some food delivery! Stay warm!!
    @CMorning99 - now you have something to work towards! Sounds like a good friend!
    @avidkeo - my stomach is always questionable after a big race. I have to eat something like a banana and maybe a bagel or oatmeal but nothing greasy or a big meal. Hope you are feeling better.

my weight is down which is good but so is my % muscle which is not good. I have not been consistent with my strength training and I really need to be better. I am finding when my plans go awry for whatever reason, I just end up doing nothing. Today I had planned to walk but my leg has been aching and throbbing all day so I have sat here, mostly on a heating pad trying to calm it down. I did do a little work around the house changing sheets, etc. and apparently hit my watch and started a strava run workout. I went 0.11 miles in 2 hours at an 18 hour pace 😂
    I was also going to harvest more tangerines but it has been too windy to get up on the ladder so that will have to wait. I really should have done some kind lifting, something. I don't know what has gotten in to me because I used to always find something else to do. Can't run, then walk, can't walk, then strength train or do an online class. Now I just can't seem to get there.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I am so glad you just landed on your behind and got muddy and not injured! You have made such great progress so far you wouldn't something like a slip to undo it all!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Sometimes that's what I feel like my pace is. :lol: Motivation is hard to come by some days. You'll get your mojo back soon, I'm sure. Yeah, I'm glad it was just my pride that was hurt.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo What is this other page you mentioned!?! I MUST read your race report... I so love to hear about either people’s runs.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo What is this other page you mentioned!?! I MUST read your race report... I so love to hear about either people’s runs.

It's the February running challenge.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10823008/february-2021-monthly-running-challenge/p23
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber . Thanks for that, it worked!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - yes, I accepted a class that starts in a week - but it's not programming. It's a class that is just about Microsoft Office (COMP100). Very boring to teach but much easier - the assignments are automatically graded so and I just need to do a lecture once a week and grade their discussions which is easy. It is hard to find anything to talk about Word and PPT though. One of the suggestions for the professor is to have the students download Grammarly (free version) so I tried it and I have to admit, it's pretty cool! Especially for anyone who has to write papers or long posts here!
    Sorry about your lack of mojo. When I hit that I tell myself, just do 15 mins. And once I start... I can't stop. There have been a day here or there where I only did 15 mins but then I remind myself that it's better than everyone on the couch. Oh! One more thing -- listen to Robin again on Peloton App. I did an old 20-min one with her yesterday and it was very motivating. And today a 45 min with Becs and the music was SO good! A Frankie Valley song and lots of hits from Beatles till today. Even if you just walk it, that would be good!

@quilteryoyo- wow glad you weren't hurt worse!

@swenson19d - I hope you get some relief soon! You deserve a break in pain.

I did a 20-minute run yesterday and a 45 minute run today. I used to obsess that I had to run five miles but now I'm just going to go with what feels good! Decided I'm going to have a goal of running at least 3x a week during Lent. That means I will probably doing a ride/run or lift/run on the same day. Even though I love Peloton rides I do miss running. Today was so windy! 18mph! And I ran over the huge bridge - going out it was great - tailwind. Coming back, not so easy!

• shanaber
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo and @ddmom0811!
    I am doing some strength work today and a walk later so I will check out the Robyn workouts! I have a couple of her stretching ones and strength ones bookmarked that I really enjoy too. Did you know she is pregnant?
    It is super windy here too but should be dying down later this afternoon. It is also very dry - in the 10% range.

I had a zoom call this morning with some friends from another MFP group, one I had met before IRL and one who lives in Quebec. It was fun. I hope we all can do another one one of these days and get a few more people on! I enjoy getting to see and actually talk with everyone.