Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I have spent the whole morning trying to get food! Roads still impassable (no plows or salt or anything here, so even a tiny bit of snow is a disaster) and thanks to my mom freaking out and making me drive out to the county on my last grocery day I didn’t get to buy groceries for myself before the snow. After the snow started Kroger literally closed - yeah, that is what it’s like in the south, when it snows you can’t even buy groceries. So today was the first day we were able to get a delivery. And what a delivery. I have a family pac of 16 chicken thighs, and one polish sausage, which was the entire contents of the meat department. Not kidding, my shopper sent me a pic. One small package of raspberries, one large bag Bosc pears and a tiny acorn squash, all that was available in produce. A package of not our usual brand cheese. Canned greens, not our usual brand. And that is it. It’s not supposed to thaw for five days and we are getting six more inches of snow tomorrow.

I do have eggs, v8 juice, garlic, and chickpeas, so I can make shakshuka, and I have one metric ton of canned tuna, so we won’t actually starve, we are just going to be very sick of chicken and tuna.

I’m more worried about my birdies. The grackles have been going through seed at a record pace and they only let the little birdies eat when they are full. The only birdseed left at Kroger was a 5 lb bag of Cockatiel seed! So I started calling around, and in theory Home Depot is going to deliver me seed tomorrow morning. In other news it appears grackles will eat cat food and I have a large bag of cat food which my cat hates, so hopefully that will help.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile It is so hard when it snows just a little bit in the South. When it snows a lot, it's down right impossible to go anywhere, or buy anything. I'm glad you got some supplies and won't actually starve. Stay safe and warm!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 So sorry to hear about your mom! I can't even imagine. It's no wonder your a mess. We are here to support you in any way you need.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Thank you!

Morning check in! In 2019 I was an early riser, up at 4:40AM to go for my morning run, now that sounds horrible LOL. My running partner moved so now the motivation to get up and run in the cold and dark is a daunting task. I ran on Sat morning (when the sun was up) and a GIANT coyote (like mid-thigh) ran right in front of me. At least skunk season is over, way more terrifying.

Yesterdays challenge (I wont say problem b/c I am trying to stay grateful) was that some of my mom's mail was sent to her house (banking stuff!) and the tenant who lives on the ranch let me know. The mystery is how? She had a PO Box and I forwarded all that mail to me and out of the blue the Bank is sending stuff to her house...do they even have that address? I haven't reported her death to the bank yet either, I am a joint owner so they wont freeze the account (I hope) but I was advised to wait until as much was settled as I could get done first.

A coworker made me cookies yesterday (everyone is trying to make me feel better) but I brought them home and didn't touch them. Calories came in ~100 over goal of 1550 with no exercise.

Todays plan (checking in here on ya'll keeps me accountable of snacking) Calories 1550 + 1/2 exercise. Exercise 3 mile easy hill run after work (I freaking despise running after work, I prefer being a couch potato).

Hopefully I have a good report tomorrow!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @CMorning99! I was so saddened but the news of your mom! So difficult to lose your mom in any circumstance but that is just terrible!
    What state are you in now? I know in CA when my MIL passed dh was on all of her accounts and he was able to just move the funds and/or change the accounts to just his name. I think it varies state to state though.

I am hoping @swenson19d and @bearly63 are doing ok! A bit concerned that we haven't heard much and I know the power is out in many places and it is bitterly cold.
    @RunsOnEspresso - Are you doing ok? How is that race with the wagon going?

I have some things to take care of this morning for Hilde but then I am heading out for a run/walk. Hope my hamstring cooperates a bit more today so I can run more of it. We'll see. I did take a full rest day yesterday, I just couldn't get myself to do my strength workout. I took a nap, read some of a book and was just really a slug most of the day.

On the good side I was able to get the MRI scheduled for next Thursday. It was supposed to be at the radiology lab at my doctor's facility but they apparently can't do what the doctor wants so are sending me to the hospital to have it done. I will just be glad to get it over with.

Also I am listening to this podcast on overcoming injuries. The woman speaking on this one is/was a mountain bike racer and had a bad crash that left her out for I think 4 years, then she came back and was competing in a Nordic skiing event and crashed with a bunch of other skiers and was out and on crutches for another 4 years. The point of the podcast was how to deal with the emotional side of being injured and just hearing what she went through made me realize I needed to have a better attitude. She now works with all kinds of athletes on moving on and coming back from their injuries.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I am NOT a morning person either. I have gotten up early for long runs in the past, and was glad I did and got them done. But, to get up at 4 on a regular basis to run is not me. Plus, I do have to wait until it's light outside, unless I run on the treadmill. Living in the country, there are no good places to run in the dark. That's odd about the bank. I'd call and see why they changed the mailing address. Nice of the co-workers to make you cookies. Great that you had the will power to resist. It sounds like you are doing great.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 585 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @CMorning99 Welcome back and I'm really really sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there.

To think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a coyote...

@quilteryoyo Sorry to hear about the continued saga! You deal with what you can. Some things just kinda have to run a course before they can work themselves out, it seems.

@swenson19d How'd the doc visit go? Has the power come back on?

@shanaber I'm going to bookmark that podcast for the (inevitable) day when I need it. Thanks for sharing.

@rheddmobile Ugh grocery situation. That sounds rough, but not starving is always good. I could look up some interesting ways to consume chicken thighs and canned tuna if you get sick of them. Do you happen to have soy sauce, hot sauce or coca cola in the house?

I finally got a run in today! Now to hang onto the feeling.

re: 4am. I'm doing a somewhat chaotic version of polyphasic sleeping, so theoretically I could get up at whatever time I want, but I'm a wuss at 4am in the morning so that's never happened. Yet.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I have a new birdie today. Well I saw it yesterday and couldn't get a pic. My windows need cleaned and today's pic isn't great. It a pretty bird, a bit larger than the oriel. Dh saw all the oriels and said "oh no! the grackles have found us!" I pointed out that they weren't. I have no more seed today and threw out uncooked oatmeal, it is not a hit. oh well.
    ir6wznba2cqm.jpg
    r0tlyiqa8qsv.jpg

@CMorning99 Oh so sorry to hear about your mother. That is tragic.

potential trigger
    Years back our community lost a woman who raised foster kids, had worked for social services and taught at the local Jr college- I had two of her classes, she put action to the needs of others. Any way one of her fosters in his adult years came with friends to ask for money and she drew that hard line and it cost her her life. I can feel the heart ache of that loss and trauma. It's not something one can shake even from a distance. You need ANY thing, let us know. I changed my user account here, was Elise4270. I lost my son to suicide this last summer and took his account. You reach out, loss changes us and we are here.

@noblsheep We have electricity and only lost internet for half a day and then it was super slow the next. Still power, but we may have outages still to come.
    Just got off the phone with the doc...
    MRI was not a concern to him. Felt I had LEFT side weakness... well that's new to me. I m not sure if it's a mix up or something I just didn't get when I was in. The left is the side with the nerves cut, not the rod. I didn't ask for him to elaborate, I am trying to learn to shut up and listen. I understand that he may not convey what he sees immediately to me and what gets put into his notes are usually little interactions with his recording nurse. So I don't always understand what is noted. SO.. I'm just off with him and trying to digest.

Overall, hips are better than they ever have been. WIN.
    more doc info...
    He was concerned about the L3 nerve root causing the leg weakness, but it is fine. eh.. WIN?
    He will send the referral for the neuro, thinks they may want to MRI my brain.... ohhh I can't wait @avidkeo! BRAINS!
    I don't believe there is anything wrong with me and have no expectation that they will need to see me past the one visit. Because Dr Google is always wrong, I don't have CJD or MS or ALS or anything other than OLSS, "Old Lady Stress Syndrome". (i made that up).
    He mentioned the SI joint... but I can't remember what he said about that being the issue or not. I think it is an issue, just maybe not an issue for his services. For the first time in 5years and 5months and 25 days (thereabouts), I do not have an upcoming appointment with him.

Food
    I am tired of my scale and clothes. I decided it was time to get back after it, count calories and try to add some movement and set a goal to lose 4 pounds by my birthday (April). I was going to log food yesterday but couldn't do it. Alex's meals come up and I couldn't. So I'll just be mindful or write it down in a notebook.
    I cooked chicken black bean soup yesterday and made chicken egg rolls (baked) and an apple egg roll with honey. I ate too much but I ate better food, so that's a win.

Still no new phone due to weather... My guess is friday or the following week depending on how backed up they are. It was suppose to be here 6 days ago.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @swenson19d I believe you have a thrasher! If you have cat food my thrashers love cat food. They are related to robins, but bigger.

So far our power is on, fingers crossed because it is coming down hard right now. Three more days before a thaw on Saturday.

My birdies are gonna starve, I don’t know what to do. Home Depot cancelled my delivery of bird seed. They didn’t bother to contact me, either. They just didn’t show up and when I called said, “Oh, we have cancelled all deliveries today, but our delivery company isn’t part of Home Depot so the tracking site doesn’t get updated.”

I have some stale Raisin Bran, and cat food which the grackles, robins, and thrashers will eat, but after tomorrow I am out of food for them.

• swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile I do have several boxes of cereal... the coconut cheerios were not a hit and I do have cat food for the strays I could give the birds. Several have found the dog food on the back porch. I think I may have some seeds for sprouts that I could part with too.
    Thanks for the suggestions and bird identification.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @swenson19 I like the new acronym lol still incredibly frustrating for you.

@CMorning99 I'm sorry about your mum. That sou ds very hard and stressful.

Thinking of you guys with power/internet issues.

I've arrived in Wellington. Staying at my mums house. This morning I took her e-bike out for a 40 min ride. I took all the assist off (it's one that you can completely remove the assist) and went for it. It was a fantastic ride along the river. That bike is heavy without assist lol. Have skipped breakfast because mums house = lots of treat food. She's having a surgical procedure this morning, so I know this avo will be a lot of sitting around doing not much. And she's already talking takeaways for dinner. Aiming for maintenance this weekend. Probably appropriate anyway given HM on Sunday.

That said, I like her scales, 2lb lost according to them
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Not sure, but that is probably a Wood Thrush or Hermit Thrush. Could possibly be a brown Thrasher if it's eye is yellow. It's a great start to be eating better food. You'll get there. I know it's hard when exercise is an issue.

@rheddmobile Glad that you still have power. Hope it stays that way. Sorry our delivery got cancelled and they didn't even let you know!

@Avidkeo Hope your mum's surgery goes well. Having a HM this weekend, I wouldn't be overly concerned about food this week. You're doing great!

• swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile. is it possible to get some chicken food for them? I assume you have a farm store, like atwoods, orschelens, or tractor supply. They may have a seed mix. The bird in the pic is the thrasher I think, from internet search and very much Robin size. @quilteryoyo We do also have the thrush. It seems to be smaller and similar I'm markings. I couldn't get a pic of the thrush to ask, then did and assumed it was the same bird but smaller, male/female. I thought it'd be dumb to ask to have the same bird Id'd lol! So you answered even though I didn't have to ask!
    The one I assume is the thrush is rather aggressive at digging in the snow.

@Avidkeo sounds like a good eating plan! I hope the 2 pounds is a real loss! Way to get out there and bike. With that I may que up Hulu and see how long I can get on the bike before cori gets in the way. I set a half a slice of pizza down and told him "go ahead, take it if you have too" yup he grabbed the whole thing and ran off with it. We do feed him, he's gained more than a pound and tomorrow is a month that we've had him, so he's on track and then some.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Ok I assumed this was thrush, it is a mean little bird running all the other birds off.
    9552joytf7xn.jpg

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d It's hard to see the colors, but I think this may be some sort of sparrow due to the "stripes" on it's head. Maybe a song sparrow? What do you think @rheddmobile ?
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    @rheddmobile. is it possible to get some chicken food for them? I assume you have a farm store, like atwoods, orschelens, or tractor supply. They may have a seed mix. The bird in the pic is the thrasher I think, from internet search and very much Robin size. @quilteryoyo We do also have the thrush. It seems to be smaller and similar I'm markings. I couldn't get a pic of the thrush to ask, then did and assumed it was the same bird but smaller, male/female. I thought it'd be dumb to ask to have the same bird Id'd lol! So you answered even though I didn't have to ask!
    The one I assume is the thrush is rather aggressive at digging in the snow.

@Avidkeo sounds like a good eating plan! I hope the 2 pounds is a real loss! Way to get out there and bike. With that I may que up Hulu and see how long I can get on the bike before cori gets in the way. I set a half a slice of pizza down and told him "go ahead, take it if you have too" yup he grabbed the whole thing and ran off with it. We do feed him, he's gained more than a pound and tomorrow is a month that we've had him, so he's on track and then some.

TSC has bird seed (in fact that’s where we usually get it) but also won’t deliver at the moment. Roads are really not drivable here at the moment.

However! We have bird seed now! When Home Depot cancelled our order I was grousing about it and realized we could probably get there on foot. We never go that direction when running our neighborhood because traffic is insanely dangerous - city put in a bike lane and now people use it to illegally pass on the right! Also there is a homeless encampment under the nonconnah bridge and a massive overpass with crazy people flying off the interstate in all directions and no sidewalks. But! It turns out it’s only a mile and a half! And today there is no traffic because Memphians do not drive in the snow.

So the only thing left to figure out was how to schlep 40 lbs of seed home without a rucksack. We don’t have rucksacks (both of us had a nice one but they were stolen out of our car) but we DO have..... swag bags! Lots of swag bags from various races! And also carabiner clips, likewise from race swag! So we slung swag bags across our shoulders, clipped the straps together across our chests, and toted home four 7 lb bags of birdseed, which ought to get us through the next couple days until the thaw.

When we got back, it was almost sundown, but the little birdies swarmed the whole yard eating their food anyway. They kept eating after dark, they were that hungry! And not a grackle in sight, maybe the grackles gave up.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @swenson19d It's hard to see the colors, but I think this may be some sort of sparrow due to the "stripes" on it's head. Maybe a song sparrow? What do you think @rheddmobile ?

I was gonna say sparrow of some kind but they aren’t usually aggressive so I don’t know. Husband was wondering if it was a juvenile or female of some other bird, but I think it’s the wrong time of year for juveniles.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @CMorning99 I missed seeing your post earlier. I’m so sorry. We lost a close friend to a carjacking a few years ago and I don’t know why that kind of event seems so much worse than if the person just died in a car accident or something, but it really is. Wishing you peace.