Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    That's why I stopped buying the licensed Keurig ones and only buy off brand ones that can be composted or separated and recycled.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    We have both a Keurig and a regular coffee brewer with a grinder. We use the Keurig to make decaf at night - my husband is hooked on the Vanilla while I like just plain coffee. @girlinahat - I take the tops off the cups dump the grounds and recycle the cups... It was a concession I made to my daughter when we got it :)
    I have to say I am in love with the coffee brewer/grinder we have. I really only like freshly ground and brewed coffee. We had a Capresso for many many years until it completely died and then had a series of terrible ones, including a Cuisinart that almost caused a fire by coming on randomly whenever it wanted to. We finally just got a brewer and I ground the coffee every day and did that for a long while. Then we found this Breville that we have now. It makes wonderful fresh, super hot coffee and you can adjust the grind and the strength and also make 1-12 cups. It doesn't have a hot plate either, just a thermal carafe but if you rinse it with hot water it keeps the coffee super hot all morning.

I am trying really hard to get my macros on target, eat enough and do meal planning and cooking. One thing I am finding that is strange, is that now that I don't have to get up for work and even though I am getting to bed earlier I am sleeping 9 hours sometimes more! I guess I really need it so I am giving my body this week to do that but then I am going to start setting an alarm. Otherwise I get out too late and it messes up eating breakfast at a reasonable time so I end up skipping either breakfast or lunch and that messes up my calories and macros.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Also @Elise4270 here are a couple of recipes for the Starbucks egg bites that I found for my daughter who loves them too. She still just goes to Starbucks on her way to work for them but I figure at some point she 'could' make them at home instead.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere
    https://foodieandwine.com/starbucks-sous-vide-egg-bites-instant-pot/

I really don't like eggs much so I haven't tried either recipe. If you decide to try one let us know what you think.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    can I just insert a small rant about nespresso pods and the environment? please?

whereas coffee grounds in a french press are great for composting.

Yes! I save the pods and dump the grounds out in my "yard" pile. Haha! (Sort of environmentally friendly).

• Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Also @Elise4270 here are a couple of recipes for the Starbucks egg bites that I found for my daughter who loves them too. She still just goes to Starbucks on her way to work for them but I figure at some point she 'could' make them at home instead.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere
    https://foodieandwine.com/starbucks-sous-vide-egg-bites-instant-pot/

I really don't like eggs much so I haven't tried either recipe. If you decide to try one let us know what you think.

I saw these! I'm definitely making them. So friggin good. So easy.

@girlinahat I never thought about recycling the k cup pods (or anything else other than damn Walmart bags). We have a small recycling program. I think I'll start separating some additional recyclables.
  • shanaber
    Options
    So I mentioned previously that I am having a hard time scheduling my running and still getting in my meals. Today was the perfect example. I ate my usual protein bar as soon as I got up and then did some updates here and got ready to run. Started to head out and realized it was already almost 11 and I hadn't eaten anything else :( I grabbed 1/2 a banana and had that with some water. My legs were dead for the first 1.5 miles then the banana kicked in for about 2 miles. I struggled with the last 2 miles to get home. I just ran a bit then stopped for a minute and then ran some more. Not particularly satisfying... I guess we could call them slow intervals :confounded: I have to do better at this - I have no excuse!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber Can you just count on running fasted? Or maybe do 2 short runs a day?

Something is still better than nothing progress.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I used to run fasted all the time but now it really isn't an option, even for short runs. I get dizzy and have 0 energy. The nutritionist wanted me to eat something, 2-300 calories before I run but it has to be something my stomach will tolerate - toast and PB or oatmeal are what I typically eat. If I count that as breakfast I need to add in more calories somewhere else in my day to even try to get close to the 1900 she wants me to eat. I am not there but I will get it figured out! Part of the doing it better!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    One nice thing about more time on trail is a 5 mile run on trail burns me around 800 calories vs. 5 miles on the road around 500 calories.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    One nice thing about more time on trail is a 5 mile run on trail burns me around 800 calories vs. 5 miles on the road around 500 calories.

:heart: love the trails!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    A one pound ribeye fits in my belly. Uncomfortably.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have to make my own coffee at work so it's always good.

My dad uses a reusable thing in his keurig and regular coffee. If I had one, that is what I would do as well for the environment. I am trying very hard to reduce my packaging and recycle what I can.

I am struggling with my energy level. Some days I have absolutely none and therefore don't work out, like last night. I don't know if it's my celiac or something different. Haven't been glutened but many celiacs still have fatigue when g free.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've tried the reusable pods for the keurig and the nespresso and found the coffee to be lacking and the pod refilling to be a PIA so I'm sticking to the prefilled pods.

Most days I don't use either though, I use my Aeropress coffee maker. I LOVE the coffee I get from it.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hope everyone one is eating well!

It went from 70F here to 30F and snow flurries. We had already had a few days flitrting with 80... Can't believe it got so cold. My poor trees.

It would've been great if I was arunnin'.

I kind of relaxed a bit on the macros, just ate what I wanted.. and now I'm very close. I still need to do better, and eat more veggies... And add back some exercise.

I chased my cat across the yard the other day, bare foot (playing). It wasn't far. It wasn't pain free, but nothing I couldn't potentially put in the "it'll get better and I can ignore it" category.

We'll see. Doc did say "I should be able to continue running", but I'm fully prepared to love my bike like an old pair running sneakers. 9 days to go.

ETA my daughter caught me putting butter in my coffee and said "is that butter? Are you high?". LOL! I have no doubt she'll put butter in her coffee now. Since she was little, butter was gravy. Haha!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Being on vacation I have been enjoying the food. Fresh hot pizza straight from the oven for supper last night with donair poutine. Omg heavenly. And lunch may or may not have been a java cheesecake brownie...

And with today being race day back to boring until after the race. Oatmeal & blueberries for breakfast with coffee and then a plain peanut butter sandwich for lunch in about half an hour.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Being on vacation I have been enjoying the food. Fresh hot pizza straight from the oven for supper last night with donair poutine. Omg heavenly. And lunch may or may not have been a java cheesecake brownie...

And with today being race day back to boring until after the race. Oatmeal & blueberries for breakfast with coffee and then a plain peanut butter sandwich for lunch in about half an hour.

Sounds great! Good luck on the race!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks! Currently dithering about clothes haha. Gonna be a last minute decision I'm sure.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and honey sandwich day, er, I mean long run day! Came home and enjoyed some soup and crackers. Tonight I am making beef and cabbage stir fry, so pretty jazzed about that.

This week is easy/boring meals. French bread pizza and salad for lunches, protein pancakes for breakfast, and a variety of dinner items (tacos, turkey burgers, lettuce wraps, pulled pork, BBQ chicken salad).

Knowing I race in a week should keep me on track. Have to say I'm loving the extra time (calories) on trail during the week.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    I had this for supper. Bison burger and annisabo, which is apparently pea soup. Best soup I've ever had in my life I swear...

qymta2u2dk5u.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @sarahthes yum! Love bison and peas soup! Sounds like a good day!