Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's race week, so I will be eating pretty close to maintenance. Post-race is an anything and everything kind of deal, so I'm carefully plotting where I want to eat. Usually it's pancakes/brunch after, but we have to zip about an hour and a half back home and try and catch my son's soccer game, so I will rely on the race food until after his game and we can go out as a family. Probably burgers. Maybe pizza.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I actually did pretty well this weekend food-wise. Lots of chicken and a yogurt, berry, kale and protein smoothie after my run yesterday, finally got my protein up to where I want it! Downside - I don't think I can eat this way all the time. I also had ice cream with strawberries and peanut butter GS cookies for dessert tonight.

@sarahthes - I love pea soup and had planned to get to the store to look for ham hocks this weekend to make some. Maybe they will still have them tomorrow.

I made peanut butter again today. Really love making it in the Vitamix. So easy and tastes so great!

I am working on getting the carbs down/out in our dinners for my DH who is no longer borderline but is now considered diabetic. I can't control what he eats for breakfast or lunch really but when he asked for rice pilaf with dinner tonight (my question was what vegetable would you like lol) I told him to pick again. I ended up roasting green beans in the oven with lemon and olive oil and adding some toasted slivered almonds. It was pretty tasty.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Roasted green beans is a standard at our house. I usually toss with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and smoked paprika.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I found a recipe for anissabo (apparently the restaurant spelled it wrong) and I'm going to attempt it I think. Grocery shopping after work tonight!

I'm now officially in a calorie cut with a goal of dropping 15-16 lbs by Canada Day. It's aggressive and I'm okay with a slower rate of loss if that is how it works out. Just sticking to my MFP calories and eating back most of my exercise should get me pretty close though.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @shanaber I found a recipe for anissabo (apparently the restaurant spelled it wrong) and I'm going to attempt it I think. Grocery shopping after work tonight!

What recipe are you going to use? I just googled it and it sounds like something my family would dig. I love soup!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am leaning towards this one:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/anissabo-pea-soup-cree-style-307124

However I'm going to play with the herbs a bit - add in some thyme. And I have some ham in the freezer so I will add that as well.

Also the one in the restaurant had roasted corn nuts added just prior to serving.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @sarahthes - I have never seen it made with hominy but I love hominy so it would be worth trying. I always make mine in the crock pot and add a little onion, a bay leaf and thyme. Just put everything in (soaked peas, ham hocks or ham bone, onion, celery leaves and spices) and cook it over night. Yum!

Does anyone else ever have hominy plain for a side dish? I also love grits but rarely make them.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    We ate hominy out of the can as kids... Don't think I've had it much since.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I had a friend whose family used to eat hominy as a side dish. I don't know if there was any special prep to it. I just remember eating it at their house. I do use it in a tortilla soup recipe. I haven't made that in a while...hmmm.

I'm big into soup, especially if I can use my slow cooker.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Is there such a thing as a coffee diet? I'm thinking this sounds like one I'd like to try...

What's on the menu?

I have stuff for chicken cacciatore (again). And all the ingredients for the egg bites with gruyere.

Lunch. I think I'll suck it up and have a salad from the vegan place.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Breakfast: Omlette with 2 eggs, 2 extra egg whites, mushrooms, bell pepper, mini bagel, salmon cream cheese

Lunch: Celery with peanut butter, cold cut chicken, apple, cherry peppers, seedy crackers, laughing cow cheese

Snacks: TBD, but probably yogurt with fiber one cereal and maybe a protein bar

Dinner: Taco salad!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be on the coffee diet. Lately my hiatal hernia has been acting up. Makes it painful to drink coffee. I do it anyway. Just drink more water between cups.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Little bit of a carb fest this afternoon. Over calories for today (but after walking the dog will probably net even). I have some buffer in my deficit from yesterday and the day before. Definitely not over maintenance. I just needed to feel full today.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - 4 eggs, fried over easy in butter, piled on top of a sliced of buttered whole wheat toast, and sprinkled with Milwaukee Iron, my favorite seasoning ever

Lunch - Kirkland Nut Bar, Nature Valley Protein Bar, honeycrisp apple, and a can of Kirkland chicken with two sliced hard boiled eggs and covered in Sriracha sauce. Also a plain rice cake with crunchy peanut butter

Supper - 10 oz steak, and sides to be determined. Maybe a big salad.

Treats - clearance Easter candy.

Eating well in preparation for my race.

I'm also cutting back on coffee this week in case I need a big hit of caffeine Saturday.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Hah that's been my dessert lately. Starburst jelly beans!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Hah that's been my dessert lately. Starburst jelly beans!

I went with solid chocolate eggs and egg-shaped Whoppers!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I made the egg bites from Starbucks I liked so much. I didn't bother with a recipe, next time I might look at the proportions. They rose... Made a mess-ish. Hahaha!

DH ate a bit of my gruyere cheese. I can't repeat what he said about it. So the egg bites are all mine! Yay!
  • shanaber
    Options
    I had a protein bar before I ran and then a smoothie for breakfast/lunch and tangerines from my tree before my training session. We had tortilla soup and cheese quesadillas for dinner. As I read this it is VERY lacking on veggies other than the kale in my smoothie!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Welp. There was a cookie dough incident.