Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Sometimes I need coffee in order to be able to make coffee. My husband often makes the first cup for me...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @midwesterner85 I'm not a breakfast eater either. I will however, make a stop at Starbucks if I get out the door early for those low carb (ish, 9g) egg bites. Not hungry- just yummy indulgence.

I also keep a protein shake or two in my running bag in case I get stuck at work and miss lunch or have a doc appointment (orthodontist usually) that cuts in to lunch time or any other reason I can't grab lunch. Sometimes, I have it about 10am when I've gotten my day lined out and have time to sit for a break. They are low carb, just 1g, 30 g protein. Maybe an early protein snack would help take the edge off?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Sometimes I need coffee in order to be able to make coffee. My husband often makes the first cup for me...

I bought an espresso machine and never use it for this reason. Regular coffee is like automatic to make. Espresso/latte/etc is way more brain power.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 921 Member
    I have lost the battle today. My rational? I shouldn't be this hungry 2 days before a race. Well it sounded good in my head anyway, and I didn't mention to myself it was only a 5k. I doubt I was really that hungry anyway LOL.

But lunch was the giant pork carnita flauta. I tried to piece the ingredients together for calories...i think I got most of it except I don't know how much "oil" to add for the deep fried part...I said 2 tbs (250 cals) extra. All in all I guess 950 cals. Mmmmm so good and I am not hungry anymore...well after I also had a snickers. I hope I don't need dinner tonight. If I do, it will be a protein shake as I am also over on calories by nearly 400.

A run tonight sounds horrible too, my bad nights sleep is creeping up on me with the help of the fat and sugar bomb I ate. Maybe I will move it to tomorrow morning.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    @CMorning99 When I am trying to talk myself out of running I go and put my running clothes on anyway. I've almost never regretted a run :).
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    So... when I am on plan... yes, coffee in the morning... never hungry first thing in the morning, but end up starving by like 9-9:30 ish... so started doing protein shake about then... when I’m off plan it’s that plus all the stuff I want if I don’t have the protein shake.
  • Purplebunnysarah

I bought an espresso machine and never use it for this reason. Regular coffee is like automatic to make. Espresso/latte/etc is way more brain power.

I have a Keurig and a French Press. I have been known to forget to put a mug under the Keurig. More than once.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    I am so sad guys! I love quinoa but my body has decided I can no longer have it. :'( It started with just the Kirkland quinoa but today I went to a gluten-free place and had a bowl with quinoa and about an hour later same issue.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    @RunsOnEspresso That sucks. That is how my body feels about bananas now. I can only eat them if they are cooked or really ripe, and I definitely can't eat them on their own.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @sarahthes oh man! That stinks too, especially since bananas are so prevalent at races and stuff.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @shanaber Was it you that mentioned a protein powder earlier in the thread?I am trying to use up the one I have and try a different brand. I remember the one talked about sounded like one I could try but I didn't write down the brand!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Hubby is our coffee-maker-in-charge and he pretty much knows it needs to be ready ASAP or else I'm not responsible for what happens. Just regular brewed coffee most of the time. I'd love a Nespresso machine, but I have such a hard time with using pods.

• Purplebunnysarah
    These are the pods I buy. Very little plastic, and it is one of the ones that supposedly breaks down quickly in the environment. Even the bags they come in are compostable :).

6x04f7f680tn.jpg

u60n9fc6hxph.jpg
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Hubby is our coffee-maker-in-charge and he pretty much knows it needs to be ready ASAP or else I'm not responsible for what happens. Just regular brewed coffee most of the time. I'd love a Nespresso machine, but I have such a hard time with using pods.

My dad has a reusable one for his kuerig. He uses regular ground coffee in it. I thought I wanted a keurig until I realized how one carafe isn't quite enough for me. LOL
  • Elise4270
    @CMorning99 When I am trying to talk myself out of running I go and put my running clothes on anyway. I've almost never regretted a run :).

This definitely works for me. It so wierd. If you can just treat those no productive thoughts like they are a child:
    "okay I know you don't wanna run, and that's ok. But let's put our shoes on". Shoes go on. "See that wasn't so hard". "Wanna go get ice cream" ""oh we're at the park for a run before ice cream" "oh now you don't want ice cream because you had a good time at the park today?" It craziness. I swear I have an exceptionally high level of self parenting that goes on. I'd be a shrinks dream (if they ever find me). Hahahaha!

DS and I also would do "no excuses" month. The little voice was ignored and you had to go to the gym 3 days a week.

Am I the only nut?
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 921 Member
    Good morning all.

Well, yesterday didn't turn out as bad as I thought it was. I wasn't hungry for dinner and just had a few bites. I did go out for my run, did no expectations and walked part of it, stopped to stretch. Did what felt good.

Today is another rest day. I need to reorganize my runs to spread out the rest days a bit more. I bought a breakfast burrito from a fundraiser outside the office. I was told it was veggie...it was egg and mushrooms...tons of massive slimy mushrooms...I threw it away. Now what...maybe donuts will show up. If they do, I will have a protein shake for lunch...if not, I will order something.

Tomorrow is the 5K. I have been looking at my paces and it seems if I want to get faster quicker, I need to work up to nearly double my weekly mileage. I knew that...was in denial. Coach said I am running like a recreational runner right now...I think that is coach speak for lazy LOL. So once I have my paces from tomorrow...we will be increasing the weekly mileage. I am not sure how much I can handle with my morning run time limit.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I just hope to keep the food in check!...and run fast :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    I have to have coffee too 1st thing in the morning. We bought a Breville with a built in grinder. It is the best coffee maker we have had in a while. I set it all up the night before and my husband just hits the button in the morning when he gets up.
    I was never a breakfast eater and would often not eat anything until lunchtime but when I started this whole adventure and working with a trainer the 1st thing he had me do was eat something (100 cals minimum) as soon as I got up and then every 3 hours. (@sarahthes - I take synthroid too and switched to taking it in the evenings. My doctor said it was better to take it before bed anyway so it worked out for me) I started having just 1/2 a protein bar, it was all I could manage. Now I typically have my entire protein bar early and then toast with PB before I run. If it isn't too late after my run I may get in a small breakfast or not and just eat lunch. I always have a snack mid-afternoon (if I am strength training I will have something on the way like celery or apple and PB or a couple of tangerines and something with protein on the way home, cheese or protein bar) and then dinner and nothing after that.

@RunsOnEspresso - that sucks about the quinoa! I love quinoa for everything - salads, breakfast, etc... in fact this reminds me I need to make some! Also yes I was the one who mentioned the protein powder. It is called Tera's Whey and you might be able to find it at Target if you just want to try it in a smaller package. I did that then bout 2 bigger bags of it from Costco (Vanilla and Dark Chocolate). I really like it and it blends well into everything - I have even been putting it in my coffee :) Here's the link - https://simplyteras.com/our-products/ The ones I got are the Organic versions and they are also gluten free.

Does anyone have a good recipe for baked chicken - I am looking for something different to do with it - getting kind of bored with our standards...

I posted this in the monthly running challenge but since @CMorning99 isn't over there (you should join us there too for running motivation!) I will repost it here...
    6zc6omasov4s.jpg

• RunsOnEspresso
    @shanaber I like to bake chicken in salsa (about 35-40 ish minutes at 350) then top with cheese and bake or broil for 5ish minutes. I would make rice or quinoa and then top it with the chicken and then grab a bag of frozen veggies for a side. I can be a very lazy chef. :D

Thanks! I am going to write the name of that down this time so I don't forget. The dark chocolate sounds delicious (and I'm finishing a vanilla right now).
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Today was not a good food day calorically except the food was delicious. And that's all I'm gonna say about that, other than Swiss chocolate Reese peanut butter cup ice cream cake. I regret nothing.
  • Elise4270
    Today was not a good food day calorically except the food was delicious. And that's all I'm gonna say about that, other than Swiss chocolate Reese peanut butter cup ice cream cake. I regret nothing.

Yum! Somedays you gotta let life happen :wink: