Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Today was not a good food day calorically except the food was delicious. And that's all I'm gonna say about that, other than Swiss chocolate Reese peanut butter cup ice cream cake. I regret nothing.

That cake sounds yummmmmmm
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes - I think I need to come eat at your house! I didn't eat enough today and I just wasn't hungry... pretty sure I would have been hungry for that cake though!

It was hot after my run and too late for breakfast even if I had felt like eating it. I did make a smoothie and had it for 'lunch' and then had to drive to pick up my race packet for tomorrow morning. Even getting there right when they opened at 3 I got stuck in traffic coming home for over an hour. Then we went to Costco and I was starving and wanting to eat everything (fought off the urge to buy chocolate lava cakes though). I even bought Jalapeño Lime tortilla chips (damn samples!). By the time we got home it was too late and too hot to cook the chicken I had planned to bake so we ended up eating leftovers. I didn't even hit 1400 calories and that is with having a late evening snack to bring my total up a bit. I need to make sure I eat enough in the morning before my race...

@CMorning99 - hope you are safe with all the earthquakes and the volcano! I suspect you are on Oahu so hopefully not feeling it too much.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Finally, all of the Easter candy I bought on clearance is gone. I exceeded my one piece per day rule by a wide margin.

I need to get back into the habit of eating lots of veggies. The scale has gone up more than I'd like. Race in two weeks. After that I'll see how well I can watch my intake with sailing season upon us. We always eat and drink well on the boat and resistance is difficult
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Finally, all of the Easter candy I bought on clearance is gone. I exceeded my one piece per day rule by a wide margin.

I need to get back into the habit of eating lots of veggies. The scale has gone up more than I'd like. Race in two weeks. After that I'll see how well I can watch my intake with sailing season upon us. We always eat and drink well on the boat and resistance is difficult

Ah first world problems :love:

Your kids tell you that when you complain about something? As if they'd know what real problems were. :smiley:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am fiddling with calorie goals and stuff again because I can't button any of my shorts. It's hard because I haven't run much this week due to a sore knee that I'm babying, and I kind of rely on eating back my exercise calories.

Anyway, going to focus on more vegetables, whole grains and lean meat this week and try to avoid heavily processed foods.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @sarahthes Sounds like a good plan.

Speaking of plans..... It food prep Sunday! (Ugh I dun wanna)

What's preppin' this weeks guys and gals?

DH took me out to eat last night after church (he should have-). I et half a pound of bbq brisket and beans. Mmmm.

Food prep? Idk. Boiled eggs maybe. I'm still too full to be anywhere near hungry. DH is finishing his dinner for breakfast, with the spoiled fat cat.

I need easy ideas for the week
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    No food prep for me. We have almost no food in the house. With DH's schedule, we haven't had time to get to the store. Costco run is much needed!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    No food prep for me. We have almost no food in the house. With DH's schedule, we haven't had time to get to the store. Costco run is much needed!

This. I suppose I can boil some eggs for breakfasts on the go, though.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes I rely on my exercise calories too to eat back. I am a sad panda on rest days LOL.

@Elise4270 I what is this "food prep" you speak of LOL. I am spoiled rotten right now with hubby just having retired and is a house spouse till we move. Dinner is served promptly when I get home...just how it should be ;)

The 5K went really well and I came in at 28:30. I felt strong till about 2.5 miles and then it started requiring some mental motivation. The last .25 I relied on my pacer a lot to pull me a long for the final sprint. My lungs gave out before my legs. But I am happy to have a baseline to work off of and I have updated all my paces to reflect a 25 min 5K and I will work on that and try again at the July 5K. I don't know what I will do after that. The Tahoe marathon is in Oct so I would need to start adding some marathon mileage if I am going to do it. I was thinking about it this weekend and my heart is not totally set on doing it. I want a fast marathon for a confidence boost. If I don't do it, I will probably keep doing 5K work until I get sub 20 min....and then take those paces into the 10K and on up.

But if I plan to do the above...I NEED to drop 15lbs of fat and get back down to 20-21% BF.

This weekend was bad. Saturday I wasn't so bad and only 500 cals over. Sunday I literally ate till I was sick...3,000 calories. One wrong smell and I would have unloaded at bed time. So LoseIt says based on my indiscretions, I might have lost .5lbs last week. Who knows.

I didn't weigh this morning, it would have been depressing.

Today starts our Belly Buster challenge. My running coach does Isagenix. I really like their shakes (flavor anyway). So bought a "kit" from her to do the belly buster and see if works. All it is protein before you go to bed along with their concentrated fruits something or other. It is 2 weeks, so it will be interesting if anything happens. Cant hurt me either way since I suck at protein.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »

@Elise4270 I what is this "food prep" you speak of LOL. I am spoiled rotten right now with hubby just having retired and is a house spouse till we move. Dinner is served promptly when I get home...just how it should be ;)

Someone's livin' right. (Hint: it ain't me :wink: ).
  • shanaber
    Options
    @CMorning99 - If my husband had to cook (I have tried to get him to) we would be eating take out burgers, pizza, burritos, etc... oh and he might still BBQ every so often!

On Sunday we went to a Farmer's Market, touted to be one of the best in LA. The trip was to pick up a wine club order because the winery sells at this Market on most Sundays and this way we don't have to pay the shipping. Oh man was it amazing! We bought so many veggies (different types of lettuce, summer squash, asparagus, carrots), berries and cherries as well as organic Latvian sourdough bread (one loaf whole grain with rye and seeds and one cinnamon). Oh and cheese! Portuguese Broncha cheese locally made from goat and cow's milk! There was also a butcher with amazing meats and my husband bought 2 of the biggest bone in steaks I have ever seen. He will be BBQing one of them for Mother's Day. All of it is just amazingly fresh and so good - my prep for the week was washing everything and having it ready to eat/cook - we have already enjoyed a huge salad with a bit of all the veggies in it as well as some of the cherries and berries! I could just eat that and nothing else.

After the market we had lunch with our friends at a tiny restaurant we found that also buys a lot of what they serve, from the farmers market. I had shrimp and grits but everyone else had some type of egg dish which all looked delicious.

I am thinking that we may need to go back sooner than our next wine club pickup even though it is a bit of a drive!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm up 2 pounds this morning. UGH.

I have my eats for the day planned out. I did Starbucks egg white bites, for half the calories of the the one I really like. Eat-able.

Lunch. I have Siggis and half a serving of granola.

Snacks. V8 low sodium, and a protein shake.

Dinner? TBD.

Think I may give running after work another try, I also have the mtn bike in case I want "easy".

What's in your lunch sack today?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @Elise4270 Lunch...9vbp71o8tbvx.jpg

Supper will be sous vide chicken with something not requiring heat on the side. Maybe we will get some melon. We have to do groceries anyway because we forgot a bunch of stuff on the weekend.

Breakfast was Tim Hortons ;)
  • shanaber
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I had Starbucks this morning after my doctor's appointment... my favorite latte macchiato with an extra shot of espresso and half of a strawberry scone. I am following that up with some Greek yogurt and granola and probably some protein powder in there somewhere. For lunch I am going to make some quinoa and have a quinoa, chicken and veggies salad. Dinner is going to be kung pao chicken and stir fry veggies...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that farmers market sounds great! I need to get to one soon. Last year we did a CSA (Communited SUpported Agriculture - you pay up front at the beginning of the season, then you get a box of produce every week). I loved it and learned to eat several veggies I'd never had before, but with just me eating everything in it, it got to be quite a chore using up everything before it would spoil. It also wasn't cheap. This year I'm going to try to hit the farmers market every couple of weeks instead.

I was going to make another venison roast with potatoes and carrots night night but ended up with just cooked roast. My wife and son loved it anyway. I was working on our bathroom again and reinstalled our old toilet on our new floor. Sure, I used gloves and washed my hands, but I just didn't like the idea of paring and cutting veggies so soon after that.

No other prep this week. I'm leaving Thursday immediately from work to pick up my son in Milwaukee, then we drive to Kansas for my daughters graduation at KU. If I find time I'll make a dozen hard boiled eggs for the trip. I love eating these on the road.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    @shanaber What a haul at the farmers market. We have a couple here...you have to be careful b/c some of the stands just buy the produce and claim it is farm/organic. But over all the prices are crazy...definitely not someplace you go to save money. Frozen is better for us.

Nothing exciting to report. I somehow made it under calories even with Australian Tim Tams, Taiwan pineapple cakes and some sort of salty cracker filled with sweet cream (OMG). Did my protein too and I actually slept pretty well.

Today calories are planned and over by 200...so might have to put in a short walk.

Still scared of the scale.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I saw the doctor today and my weight was unchanged - at this point I am taking that as a win... It didn't go up! My BP was also perfect where it is typically high (only when I go to the doctor's office - 'white coat syndrome'). I have go back for blood work and I need to be fasted which means it has to be on a non running day so now trying to fit it into my schedule too. Today was going to be my only rest day until Sunday but now I will probably take a rest day on Thursday too...
    @CMorning99 - we have that issue too with the Farmer's Markets but the state now has a certification program for the market as a whole which makes it much less likely. The market managers don't want to lose their status by allowing a vendor in that isn't certified too.
    The prices can be really good or crazy expensive and varies by product and even vendor. The bread we bought was very expensive if you think of it in terms of grocery store bread, but the bread itself is amazing. The veggies were actually cheaper and much better than even the organic in our grocery stores. I didn't buy any but I did check out the eggs more out of curiosity than anything because my daughter used to sell her chicken's eggs and it more than paid for the chickens and the feed. They were running $7/doz which is about what she was selling hers for too. I think probably the most expensive thing we bought from a value perspective was the asparagus. It was pricey and not nearly as good as I hoped it would be.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    finally checking in.

thoughts in no particular order -

Mirena - I was reading that only about 2lb of weight put on is likely to be BC related. I have an implant, but because that is slow-release hormone, I suspect is partly responsible for the weight I put on over the last few years. Given that I have lost weight since starting running I suspect also responsible is me eating and drinking too much.

food prep - My housemate has started doing more of the cooking. This is annoying me because I am not longer in control of the kitchen. Also she keeps buying packets of veggies when we already have stuff, so the stuff we have ends up going limp and unsalvageable

farmers markets - I get a veg box delivered, and my local butcher is organic/free range, and the baker is artisan. I am SO lucky to live a short walk from good food. I do supplement the veg box, but we have plenty of greengrocers. I rarely visit the supermarket except for milk, pasta etc.

eating lately - I've had an active weekend, and although I did eat both portions of the quinoa and bean salad over the campfire, I don't care. It needed the lashings of butter (and bacon) I added though for flavour..... I also had sunday roast, a bacon butty, then dinner at a friends but TURNED DOWN fruit and cream!!!

Last night ended up being pizza. We were going to go out, but my mum got taken into hospital so I didn't want to be out and getting phone calls in public like that. Think she's okay but still...

I only ate half the pizza. I have come a long way from forcing my way through the whole thing, even thought the last two slices were making me gag. Now I have half a cold pizza for lunch today. result!!!!

• Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    There was a Cereal Incident last night. Sigh.

I even know why I did it and was aware while I was eating it that it was PMS.

Don't think I blew my entire weekly deficit though, just now it's a lot smaller.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @sarahthes I had a pizza, tamale, thankfully someone ate my ice cream incident last night. I'm sure it's also PMS.

Onward.

I'm so envious of those that have fresh foods! I have friggin Walmart. I do have cilantro growing in my front yard, that DH mowed and now it's all weird growing.

I'm "working" through lunch today so I can leave early to go to a doc appointment (not hip related, PCP). So my plan is 2 protein drinks for the day. Perhaps I'll undo some of yesterday's damage.

I put eggs to boil in the IP last night. I forgot about them until this morning. It was not pretty. Upside, the crows will have a treat after work today.