Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I have an IUD as well and my hunger levels ramping up does seem to correlate roughly to when I had it inserted.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom I have an IUD as well and my hunger levels ramping up does seem to correlate roughly to when I had it inserted.

It's the only thing that I can think of that changed. I got it inserted, and my next TOM after that is when a lot of the struggle really started. I had been a pillar of weight loss and fitness strength until that moment. I'd rather find ways to cope/manage it, but I'm not opposed to having it removed in order to get things back under control. I don't need it from a BC perspective, but it's other benefits have been nice.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Yep, same here. My struggles really started around fall 2016 and it was inserted in September. However, I do need it for BC and it seems preferable to the alternatives for now. I lost a bit last summer, just regained it over the winter. So I know for me it is possible to beat the hunger. Just wish I could remember how I did it!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am following Shanaber over here from another group.

I have a running problem...and fully embrace it.

I also have an entitlement eating problem...trying not to embrace it.

4ish years ago I was at racing weight. Then a move and life happened I gained 15 lbs and 8%BF and haven't been able to shake them...and I also had my first running injury with that weight.

I really struggle with balancing eating enough and my daily calorie burn...I feel like crap if I under eat. I currently started testing out using the LoseIt app since it automatically calculates a weekly avg for you since I cant seem to control myself on my rest days. I am also trying to simplify my diet to make it easier.

Love reading all your posts for ideas!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Welcome @CMorning99 ! I think the entitlement eating that comes running is just one of those lessons that comes with a running habit.

Little did we know that the entitlement eating is "all the brussel sprouts you can eat".

And non runners reinforce the idea that we should be able to eat a whole cake, bucket of chicken and all the pie without repercussions. How many times have your heard, " if I exercised like you I'd eat....". And we're left to defend that it just doesn't work like that.

Oh well. Non-runners. What do you do? Lol!

Etc auto correct.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    I blame running for the fact that all my summer clothes are size 12 and I am currently size 14. They fit comfortably 11 lbs ago (end of summer) so I donated all the next size up shorts thinking I would never need them again...
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @sarahthes I decided after work today and another binge episode that I am going to have my Mirena removed. I will report back and let you know if it improves the crazy eating behavior. I don't entirely trust the Internet to diagnose myself, but I have read more than one account of Mirena users getting unstoppable carb craving binge eating stuff happening. Since I don't need it for BC, I figure my anectdotal experience can at least be shared to further the cause. It's the only thing I can account for to cause this behavior after a year and a half of successful weight loss. What I am experiencing now is way more than the rungries.

I will probably have to wait until I am back from vacation to get it removed, but for now I am going to do my best to manage it, not to put on too muchh weight, and trust that CICO will come through once I am no longer hormonally impaired.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Finally Friday!

What good eats are on your plate today?

I'm undecided. Not super hungry after travel, sitting for 4 days, and pizza. Maybe a salad from Subway with tuna today. Friday supper could be veggie pizza. But DH is trying to lose weight, so... I'm not sure what our Friday options are.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I didn't make it over here the last couple of days... You'd think being retired I would have plenty of time to read all the posts everywhere but I could just spend all day keeping up here and on the MRC! So I am going back and hitting a few posts in response.

@midwesterner85 - I can't believe you went up that much body fat in just a couple of days. Maybe it is a fluke? I know mine barely moves either way even as much as I really want it to go down. I only measure it once a week though or when I see the nutritionist and she measures it with her fancy machine.

@hanlonsk - I am not a whiskey drinker but I have been known to bribe myself with a (extra) glass of wine. Lately though I am cutting way back in an effort to see if it will help with the body fat. From what I have read the alcohol interferes with the liver's ability to break down the fat.

@Elise4270 - like @7lenny7 I like reading and posting about our successes and struggles with others who get it and honestly don't say - but you run so much you can eat anything you want whenever you want! Yes I have actually been told that by more than one person. I like hearing about the different approaches and why (more protein/more carbs/higher fat, etc.). I also like seeing what others have on their menu plans - it has helped me get out of a rut of fixing the same things all the time and trying some things that are maybe out of my comfort zone. The one thing I would like to see more of maybe is recipes... we did that for a while and now not so much.

About your trip - I always figured if I got some sort of run or workout in and ate reasonably well the trip was ok even if my weight went up a bit after the bloat went away. You know it isn't an all the time thing and you did great other than Applebees at the end and that's ok! You know you will be back on it when you get home.

@sarahthes - Have you thought about using quinoa instead of oatmeal to change it up? I like to make a batch of it and save it in individual servings. Then I add whatever I like to it to make it sweet or savory and depending on the meal.

@CMorning99 - welcome over here :)

@fitoverfortymom and @sarahthes - I have no knowledge of IUDs... can't help there, sorry! It sucks though that something like that should cause the rungaries to be even worse!

I am trying really hard to stick to my HM training plan and to eat enough before my runs that I don't get dizzy or super hungry. It often means I don't get out nearly as early as I plan to. Toast with PB and sliced banana have been my go to lately. Do you all eat before you run and if so what? Somehow I feel like most runners don't eat before they run.

I am feeling like I just don't want to cook - actually that isn't true. I don't want to have to plan meals. I really want to have someone else tell me what to fix and ensure all the ingredients are in the house :) I don't mind the cooking - I just hate the planning and shopping.

Today is salad I think, for lunch and not sure for dinner. We had El Pollo chicken last night so I don't really want to go out to get something again tonight. We are meeting friends for lunch on Saturday so dinner will be really light and Sunday we will likely BBQ chicken or something. hmmm - maybe we should BBQ sausages for tonight!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    So I ate a very large breakfast today. About 860 calories work. But I feel awesome and not snacky or hungry at all. I am going to ride this wave and I know I have food to eat, but I'm aiming for a late lunch/large snack later and a small dinner. Maybe I haven't been feeding myself well enough in the AM. I'm always hesitant to use my calories early, but boy, it sure does feel good to feel fed! I'm not over full. I feel just right. Like Goldilocks!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @Elise4270 I had my savoury oatmeal with zucchini, onion, mushroom & egg this morning. It was kind of meh. I think I like sweetness better in the morning.

Hubby & I are going out for lunch, not sure where yet. No running today so I'll try to steer us to a sub place or a pita place.

Supper is Costco samples after work haha. I'm only sort of kidding. Will buy something there we can turn into a meal.

@shanaber Quinoa is an idea, and I can make it in my rice cooker I think. I'll see about picking some up today. I sometimes eat before I run. If I run first thing in the morning, no, because I have digest 1-2 hours before heading out and I also take Synthroid in the morning (has to be spaced out from meals). Race days I will get up early enough to eat something, normally peanut butter toast, heavy on the peanut butter. Running home from work is basically running fasted because I forget to bring an afternoon snack most days. Weekend afternoon runs and weeknight evening runs are usually about 2 hours after supper.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Aloha Friday ladies:

@Elise4270 I hate when I turn down some crummy store bought cake at work and people are like..."but you run so much, you can have a piece". Phsssshhh. Yeah I do, but humor me on why I cant button the top button of my pants then...

@fitoverfortymom and @sarahthes: I had the Mirena probably 8 years ago and I gained about 10lbs in 4 months. I didn't even feel like I was eating more, but my belly was so bloated that I looked prego. I got it taken out around the 5 month mark and sadly the belly stayed by then. I just in general do really poorly on those slow release BCs. About 4 years ago I got the Paraguard IUD...copper with no hormones. It has worked well for me except it can cause some serious cramps around TOM and heavy flow. But for me, popping a few Tylenol each month is worth the protection and no hormones.

So the LoseIt app now has me over by 1300 calories for the week...damn. I am trying to cut myself a break b/c it was/is my birthday week and so there have been a few treats here and there that have put me over.

Yesterday was rough. I had interrupted sleep and woke up feeling like a zombie and that I know is a recipe for disaster or me. I crave comfort food. I had McD's for breakfast and then tried to save the day by only eating again when I was truly hungry. I had a small salad for lunch and then was presented with a Chantilly cream puff...soooo good. I was going to try and see if I could skip dinner b/c I had also skipped my 6 miler and just go to bed early. Hubby made homemade mini pizza's and had bought me a slice of pumpkin crunch cake and presented it to me with a candle since he had class on the day of my birthday. Damn Damn Damn! But I did go to bed early.

This morning I woke up feeling like a rock star! Totally nailed my tempo run, even though I forgot a mile and did 5 instead of 6. I was able to keep each mile within 2 seconds of the same pace. Totally have a runners high at work and it is hard to sit still LOL.

Food for today. I am going to try and whittle that overage down a bit.
    Protein shake with extra recovery powder
    Donut? (maybe...)
    Atkins frozen meal (I just need to eat it to get it out of my freezer)
    If starvation is imminent mid afternoon then I have another protein bar handy.
    Dinner...TBD.

Totally ready for the weekend and my last few workouts before my race next Saturday...this will set my new baseline on pacing.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber ya I liked sharing recipes, but with pallet and goal differences, our group is still small-ish so it's not gaining momentum, seems a bit hit and miss. But, we can definitely start adding that to the forum more. Maybe we'll find that happy medium just by sharing more recipies.

@midwesterner85 yohimbine makes me go... Just saying, "that's not always at convenient times".
    Anyone have any recipes to share? Weekend would be a great time to try something new!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @CMorning99 I get that at work a lot. Our company loves catering lunch meetings so they don't have to pay us, and there's always leftover food for the taking. They also bring in rolls, muffins and donuts on payday. I avoid it completely, but I hear the same thing. I get invited to go down to the cafeteria for the sweets and I decline. Nothing there for me. I used to eat the bananas but I'm avoiding those unless I'm running or after a run. They have apples but they're the *kitten* red delicious, which are anything but. Now, I'll just stick to the script.

I thought I was doing good yesterday but the scale read 3 pounds higher than the day before! I almost didn't log it. I know it's mostly water weight from apparently too many carbs, but still. I was surprised.

I wasn't hungry at breakfast (maybe I wasn't so good last night...) so just had a couple of pieces of toast with peanut butter & honey.

I forgot my lunch wish really ticked me off because I made venison roast with potatoes and carrots last night and packed it for my lunch. Ended up eating the canned chicken, a protein bar, and a spoonful of peanut butter instead.

The roast was made in the IP and was pretty simple. A beef roast could be used instead. Put the roast on the trivet, 1.5 cups of beef broth, packet of ranch seasoning, packet of onion soup mix. High pressure for 80 minutes, 10 minute natural rest. Add potatoes and carrots then high pressure for 10 minutes with another 10 minute natural rest. The texture of everything was great, but there wasn't enough seasoning for my tastes. My wife and son weren't interested in eating. Had I known that I would have added quartered onions and mushrooms.

Long run tomorrow (20+). I really should practice eating as much as I can process during this run, about 300+ cals/hr, but I hate to use up my calorie budget with running carbs. So I'll go minimal and just trust I can pig out during my 50K next month and be fine.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »
    Aloha Friday ladies:

@Elise4270 I hate when I turn down some crummy store bought cake at work and people are like..."but you run so much, you can have a piece". Phsssshhh. Yeah I do, but humor me on why I cant button the top button of my pants then...

I know they just don't want to be alone in a bad/indulgent choice.

But if it becomes a ganging up, more than one person joins in, "ya, have some donuts, you're too skinny, I'd kill to be your size, if I were you/ your size I'd.....". I'll gladly grab my portion, stick a fork in it and just throw it in the trash. Guaranteed to end the behavior and they never encourage you eat something you say "no thanks" to ever again.. haha!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mmm @7lenny7 ! Sounds yummy! Thanks for that! I'm putting in on the menu!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - throwing the donut or whatever in the garbage..I *love* that idea!

If you make the roast, season it up more. I think I'd go with two packets or ranch seasoning. Maybe some steak seasoning. Something.

I think I'd also spray it down with lemon juice (yes, I put my lemon juice is a spray bottle. Awesome for veggies, pork, chicken, fish or roast. Nice as a spritz on top of certain cocktails too). I'd also take the roast and trivet out after the meat was cooked, then put the taters & carrots in, then put the roast back on top.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @elise4270 I usually wrap up a treat in a napkin and tossed it in the trash when someone walks by my desk and unloads some sugar bomb that is not worth the calories with out me asking.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7 I will put lemon juice on everything. It's amazing in pinto beans even!

I have my list! I'm making that roast this weekend!
    ETA

We could start a file in google docs, like we've done in the MRC for recpies. Could just copy paste the ingredients in to a shopping list. That could be good, start our own little recipe book.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - for your 50k do you have foods you have used before for fueling that you know you are ok with (PB and jelly sandwich, dried fruits and nuts, etc. comes to mind)... or do the race organizers to provide food? I never eat/drink what the race provides unless it is something I have had previously on a run. My stomach is too sensitive and I learned it the hard way.

I have not worked in an office in so long I had forgotten about all the treats and goodies... the only thing I get at home is a coffee when my husband decides to make a Starbuck's run :) I love @elise4270's method however, to handle those high pressure situations!! Perfect! I can think of some family situations it could come in handy in too!

Lemons! I have SO.MANY.FRIGGIN.LEMONS!! We have a lemon tree, a really old lemon tree that won't die so I can replace it with a new smaller (Meyer) tree. I use as many as I can but there are so many they fall all over the place and many of them are just seedy inside. It is wonderful though to have lots of fresh lemon juice to put in/on just about anything. My husband doesn't eat salad dressing of any kind (picky eater - see more below) but loves to put lemon juice on his salads.

I love the idea of using the google docs for our recipes!
    The roast sounds amazing - I don't have an IP but I am sure I can do it in the slow cooker. I have never thought to put in ranch seasoning... I will probably have to try it without telling my husband, at least initially though :) Funny story - for years I made pot roast in the oven with onion soup mix and my husband loved it, seriously loved it, one of his favorite meals. One day after we had been married a long time (15-20 years) he saw me prepping it and putting in the onion soup and said 'yuck, why did you put that in it! I am not eating it!' LOL he has since gotten over it because I stopped making it until he actually asked for it again. He also didn't know for a long time that there were onions in the spaghetti sauce I make! I have no clue how he couldn't have known as I salute the onions, garlic and oregano before putting it in with the tomatoes. He thinks he hates onions when in actuality they flavor most everything he really likes - ha!
    I may make the roast on Monday that way we can have a couple of meals from it during the week! I am still looking for ham hocks to make some pea soup. None of our stores seem to have them.

I made a smoothie yesterday for breakfast, drank half and put the other half in the freezer while I showered and promptly forgot about it until this morning so it was my (late) breakfast/lunch. I was going to have it after my run today but I just couldn't eat anything. That hasn't happened in a long while. I did have toast with PB and honey though before I headed out to run. Dinner tonight is going to be simple - BBQ kielbasa, roasted sweet potatoes and fresh steamed broccoli.

Does anyone have a recipe for BBQ sauce? It has to be pretty simple to make.