100 days log (plus progress, struggles and reflections)

Options

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    SheilaCali wrote: »
    Day 8: too much time spent on my arms lately, so held some warrior poses until my feet hurt. I've got plantar fasciitis in both feet, and even child's pose hurts (which is supposed to be super relaxing). Not my best day physically, but hoping the other 92 days bring relief and even added strength.

I tend to get plantar fasciitis in my right foot but I know for me stretching my calf really helps. I hope daily yoga will help alleviate the pain!
  • jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @SheilaCali Ouch! I know how painful pf is. When it flares for me I use Advil to reduce the tissue swelling and gently dip my heels off the edge of a stair - slowly day by day stretching the muscle. What do you do?
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    @SheilaCali Ouch! I know how painful pf is. When it flares for me I use Advil to reduce the tissue swelling and gently dip my heels off the edge of a stair - slowly day by day stretching the muscle. What do you do?
    I often roll my feet on a frozen water bottle, stretch, and take Ibuprofen occasionally when it's really bad. I'm always in shoes with extra insoles, even around the house. When I'm on my feet a lot one day, I try not to be the next. I'm going to Italy over the holidays and want to walk around a lot. I'm hoping to be in a better place by then, maybe even a few pounds lighter. I should be looser, even if my clothes aren't!

• SheilaCali
    Options
    Day 9: yoga with Adriene 30 minutes, plus some early morning poses about 5-10 minutes. Going to walk around a lot tomorrow, so need to be mindful to rest more today.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

8/9 25 minutes Yoga Stretching for Leg Flexibility w/Fightmaster Yoga

• carlsoda
    Options
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Day 10/100 ✔
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Day 10/100 ✅!!!! Feeling flexible and good!!
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    Day 10 done, will do yoga for sciatica tomorrow- I need it! Walking around today has got it acting up again. Ugh.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

8/11 30 minutes Yoga for Sciatica w/SarahBeth Yoga

Thanks @carlsoda, really enjoyed it <3

• SheilaCali
    Options
    Day 11: forgot about the sciatica video- oops, tomorrow. Did 30 minutes with Adriene instead. My balance seemed worse today, but I was able to let myself down to the floor from a plank SLOWLY for the first time. Awesome, I felt like a pro!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    11/100 - just did some stretches and forward bends. Woke up this morning with one of those kinks in my neck so hard to do much of anything except sit around with ice
  • daneejela
    Options
    @SheilaCali awesome, that's huge! I am still waiting that moment of slowly going down from plank to happen!
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    Day 12: 30 minute practice with Adriene. My lower back is extra sore/touchy from some back bendy-type poses yesterday. Gotta watch myself. I've already done some cleaning today and noticed it got tired easy. Every day is a different practice, and I think I'm tuning in to how my body feels somewhat better.
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    11/100 - just did some stretches and forward bends. Woke up this morning with one of those kinks in my neck so hard to do much of anything except sit around with ice

We have to watch out for kinks! My right side neck is "kinky" as well. The yoga poses are challenging enough when you're strong and flexible. Gentle stretches sound like the right prescription.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies--I kinda lost count. Got back to it today though. I did 20 minutes with Kerri Verna and about half of the sciatica video posted above--that one is TERRIFIC--I am going to start with that one tomorrow. Happy Yoga everyone!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Day 12 - no practice for me. The kinky neck turned into a little virus bug of some sort so feeling pretty tired and achy. But I think I am slowly recovering and will be back at it soon and stronger than ever.

Everyone is doing great!!!!
  • daneejela
    Options
    Day 11/100 ✔
    Day 13/100 ✔

I also skipped yesterday, it was just too crowded in the house, with some workers around.
    Today I did my standard sequence, and I feel really good and relaxed.

There are few things I'd like to share :)

1. Triangle pose - I am not into spiritual part of yoga, I do it mostly because of the physical benefits, the rest is just too fictional for me, but that pose...huh..Every time when I get into that pose I feel like I have just saw a really close old friend I haven't seen for years with all warm and affectionate emotions coming out. You know when you are surrounded with people who might be good, but they don't get you most of the time and most of the time you feel like you need to put extra effort to explain yourself and to fit in. And then, you see this old friend who gets you at first sight, at first smile, at first sentence...and you feel like you finally can take that relaxed deep breath and just be who you are. :) It's a really nice feeling that surprises me almost every time I do the pose.

2. Notes on balance - through practicing balancing poses I'm learning that I can keep my balance only if my focus is on something other then myself. I cannot keep balancing while looking at my legs or my core or any body part of mine. I need to focus on something else.
    It might sound silly, but I think it's pretty important life lesson. Because, whenever something bad happens that make us loose our balance, we tend to focus on ourselves, usually too long.
    But to restore that balance, we need to focus on the word, on others, on something other then us.

3. This one is a more trivial one, but sweet - I feel like my usually huge calves are getting somewhat thinner, slightly elongated. I am not sure if it's just a temporary optical illusion or it's a result of all that stretching in downward dog and similar positions, but I like it :)

• daneejela
    Options
    @SheilaCali
    Oh, please watch yourself, backbends can be really dangerous. When I do it, I try to remember to never arch the lower back and the upper back at the same time, because it's really vulnerable position, specially in the beginning.

In standing back bend I try to keep my lower back flat, and to actually bend the upper back, opening my chest.

@carlsoda
    Keep listening to your body and give it time to heal and recover :)

@drabbits2 don't worry, just continue as usual! :) I'll plan to try the sciatica video too :)
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    @SheilaCali
    Oh, please watch yourself, backbends can be really dangerous. When I do it, I try to remember to never arch the lower back and the upper back at the same time, because it's really vulnerable position, specially in the beginning.

In standing back bend I try to keep my lower back flat, and to actually bend the upper back, opening my chest.

@carlsoda
    Keep listening to your body and give it time to heal and recover :)

@drabbits2 don't worry, just continue as usual! :) I'll plan to try the sciatica video too :)
    It wasn't a total backbend, just reaching back while kneeling and putting your hands on your heels. It was still tough, and I'm still feeling it 2 days later. Guess I'll not be doing that one again any time soon. When you see flexible people do stuff, you think you can too. I do modify some things, but it looked doable at the time. Some of these stretches are so helpful, and you don't know until you try. I think it helped my shoulders a little. My back, not so much. I'm about to do the sciatica with SarahBeth right now. Peace, everyone!