100 days log (plus progress, struggles and reflections)

Options

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    sorry for the late posting...dealing with a cold + work = tired me :) but I did do some gentle poses the last two nights. I am hoping to do a video tonight :) The nice thing about being consistent with Yoga, I have a lot less aches and pains even when I just do a few poses in the evening.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    SheilaCali wrote: »
    Day 30: started 30 day workout DVD, so yoga will have to be at another time of day- perhaps just some cool down stretches/poses like today. I don't think I'll have the time to do a full hour of exercising. One day at a time.

Definitely use yoga as your cool down...it's the best way to stretch and relax those muscles. I remember reading once that you never want to do yoga as a warm up, just as a cool down. Great job with your 30 day DVD! It will be fun to hear about your progress!
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

9/1 24 minutes
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Day 32/100 - did 10 minutes of various poses ... No time for a video!
  • serser28
    serser28 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Today will be my Day 2 of yoga poses (newbie here). I just worked on a few beginners poses yesterday but thinking about doing a yoga DVD today or one of the videos posted on this thread. Not sure which is the best for me to do - only certain poses or a DVD? Going to read through all the posts as I am sure that will help me decide. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options

9/2 27 minutes

• serser28
    Options
    Day 3/100 - decided to do Jillian Michaels' 30 minute Yoga Meltdown DVD this morning. What was I thinking?! I just about managed the first 10 mins (and that was with me stopping in places). I couldn't go any further. Think I need to work up to this one. Struggled with the plank push-ups, side planks and camel pose. I like to think I am fairly flexible but this make me realise how much I have let myself go and how stiff I am. I know it will get easier the more yoga I do and when I get used to the poses. Tomorrow I will go back to working on individual poses rather than an actual yoga workout. My goal at 100 days is that I can do the whole 30 mins with ease. Am I being realistic?
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    @serser28

You do whatever is best for you! In yoga there is no point and can be dangerous to push yourself over your limits. Plus, most of the results comes from consistency and long term commitment. I'm also at the point where I do best doing few individual poses and really focusing on every pose, trying to figure out correct alignment and the real purpose of the pose.
    For example, one week I only did there poses - a tree, a half moon and a warrior 3 - I choose them as a great hip strengthening poses - I really get into each of those poses feeling every muscle involved and felt great progress only from doing those three poses.

If you're struggling with the upper strength (like I do) then maybe you can benefit from picking few poses like downward facing dog, three legged downward facing dog, plank, side plank, dolphin..

P.S. please be careful with the camel pose, it can make a strong pressure to the lower back if your upper back is still a bit stiff. I am not even trying it yet.
  • serser28
    Options
    @daneejela thank you so much for your wise words. I think I will do likewise and stick to working on individual poses and actually feeling how my muscles are working with each pose. I haven't been doing that just focusing on get the pose. It's time I got back in touch with my body and this will be a great way to do it. Going to put the yoga workouts away and just work on poses for the whole month of September.

Yes I do struggle with my upper strength so will try working on the poses you have suggested. I am going to give the camel pose a miss until I become more flexible.

Thanks again.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options

9/3 30 minutes Stress Buster w/Floating Yoga School (YouTube video; LOVE HER!)

• serser28
    Options
    Day 4/100 - worked on poses today - standing forward bend (felt great after that stretch), tree (got my balance in the end), warrior, seated spinal twist and seated forward bend. I must say the pose I love best at the moment is the final relaxation :) How's everyone else getting on?
  • carlsoda
    Options
    days: 33 and 34 update:

Day 33 I did a video by Sarah Beth Yoga
    Day 34 just some simple stretches.

Glad the weekend is over and I can get back to my normal routine :)
  • carlsoda
    Options
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    serser28 wrote: »
    Day 3/100 - decided to do Jillian Michaels' 30 minute Yoga Meltdown DVD this morning. What was I thinking?! I just about managed the first 10 mins (and that was with me stopping in places). I couldn't go any further. Think I need to work up to this one. Struggled with the plank push-ups, side planks and camel pose. I like to think I am fairly flexible but this make me realise how much I have let myself go and how stiff I am. I know it will get easier the more yoga I do and when I get used to the poses. Tomorrow I will go back to working on individual poses rather than an actual yoga workout. My goal at 100 days is that I can do the whole 30 mins with ease. Am I being realistic?

I think that's more like a strength/aerobic workout than a "yoga" one. I can't hold a side plank or do a plank push up, so that's probably a bit too intense. MODIFY, that's all I can say. Hold a plank by itself, do a "girly" push up, do another move all together. You've got goals to work up to. Don't feel bad for not being Jillian. She's got years and many hours of workouts behind her. She looked like a weak goof at first. I wish there was a video of that! Ha ha!

I agree about the camel pose. I've only done it a few times, and it really doesn't do anything good for me. I have a straight neck too, so double ick. Adriene's yoga practice is "Do What Feels Good", or something like that. We're all a little less stiff than when we started, but have a long journey ahead. Good luck and have fun.

• serser28
    Options
    @SheilaCali thanks for the wise words - you have made me feel better. I think I will try one of Adriene's sessions. I like the idea of "Do What Feels Good". I think Jillian enjoys inflicting pain :#

Day 5/100 - worked on poses again and starting to feel more in touch with my body.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options

9/6 30 minutes Yoga for Energy & Strength w/Fightmaster Yoga

• carlsoda
    Options
    Day 36/100 - 30 minutes yoga with Adriene!!
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options

9/7 24 minutes & hurricane prep :(:#:o

• carlsoda
    Options
    Day 37/100 - 20 minutes Yoga Tone with Adriene!!
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options

9/9 40 minutes Yoga for Back & Neck w/PsycheTruth