Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    Gail, wishing you luck!! I have a son in law and knowing what to say and when to my daughter is hard. In some ways I want to keep my mouth shut and give them the space to work it out because that’s what marriage is...but in other ways I just want to tell them what to do because I’ve lived 56 years and learned a few things along the way. Good luck and I hope it all works out well.

Thanks for the article and the words of support Snoozie. Veggies and lean protein. Why couldn’t the answer be powdered donuts, pizza and alcohol?!?!?!!! :D
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    veggies and protein??

hmmm I read donuts/pizza and alcohol too??

maybe i posted the wrong article??? o:)

i took a header this morning while taking my senior friend out - heading down the front stairs shes hanging onto the rail with one arm and me with the other... i stepped onto the bottom step and the slate had disintegrated and it was just wet cement like stuff.. feet went out from under me but thankfully got her down safe sitting on the step but im in the whole body ow stage right now.. just keeping paws crossed it stays minor ows (she's fine thankfully).. and we scored what we were looking for and she wanted Kentucky fried chicken for lunch (if you make it to 90 you get an occasional treat!) .. but i passed and came home to a few leftover slcies of steak and a bit of broccoli and corn... feeling quite virtuos at hte moment ha. going to the lake as its the last nice day we're supposed to have for a bit... and if i sit im gonna stiffen up even more ... rock on people !!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Oh no!! sounds like you really did some handy work to keep her from falling too. I hope you don't feel too many repercussions from it, but I am guessing quite a few ow-wies in the morn!

Thanks, Suzy!

Without going into full detail here, I am going to nauseate her with kindness, since she dislike's me so much...that way I don't offend my son...since he thinks she is perfect. I know the real her now.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I think the article has some good points, but it's one of those that makes me wonder if the author has actually done the diet and had any luck with it! First she tells you to count the percentage of calories from different food groups and then says "counting calories is a waste of time". 50% of calories from low carb veg is an awful lot of veg too. I love cabbage, but by my calculation that's 2400g of cabbage a day (assuming a 1200 calorie a day diet). That's maybe four or five cabbages a day, depending on weight, or have I got it wrong? Surely I must have? Rushing off to work in a minute, so may have calculated badly. Anyway, it's a lot of cabbage! And I deliberately didn't pick lettuce which would be even more!

Then only lean proteins means I couldn't eat foods like nuts and eggs that I eat regularly now. Would beans be too carby to count as lean protein? Probably. Oily fish or avocado going to take you up to or over the fat allowance.

Of course, this diet may be absolutely brilliant for post-menopausal problems, and if there's good evidence for it, I would definitely think about trying it. I just think it's harder than she thinks it is. I don't think it would suit me while my son is living with me (temporarily) and we're eating together, so I'll wait until he leaves and have another rethink.

Anyway, got to rush now, after typing that up! Good luck, Gail - that sounds like the right approach! I can't really give my son advice as I haven't been brilliant at relationships myself - lol! I hope you're OK, Snooozie! You seem to have had a catalogue of injuries over the years here! Suzy, I hope things are OK with you. My father is in sheltered housing. He doesn't have or need any support there, but it's nice knowing that he can get help in an emergency and so on. One pound a week is ambitious, but best of luck with it!

I really need to take an example from you ladies here and get motivated again!
  • Snooozie
    LOL Vail... I love cabbage too.. but nobody would love ME if I ate that much!! haaaaaaaa

loved hearing your thoughts - and agree in part for sure! I think my big takeaway from this was about having to change my relationship with food at this stage after menopause... and yes i know im supposed to be doing that all along, but part of me still thinks that i'm "dieting" or restricting..... and i think i need to just start changing my mindset to accepting that i just need to eat.. differently now.... i think 'differently" will help me avoid the more negative associations of diet and restricting stuff... just acept my body needs different foods to lose what i want and then keep it there... but that's just my take on it lol.. and i do agree with the theory about lean protein and more veg - but as i have had to cut down on red meat, i have to look at the things like nuts and legumes to get the protein back... i also liked knowing why that last 5-10 lbs doesnt wanna come off so easy now lol... and i absolutely gagree with the "body set point" memory thing.... it always wantign to go back to the weight we were at for so long.. cause i lived that before coming here ha... anyhooooo love discussion about theories and ideas so thanks for sharing your thoughts!! rock on!!
  • Vailara
    I'm so glad you were able to laugh at my thoughts - one of those moments where I dashed something off and rushed off to work, and then thought how rude of me to criticise the article you so kindly posted! I didn't mean it to come across like that, and I'm so glad you haven't taken it that way! It was a very interesting read, and I've been thinking about some of the points. It just struck me that her recommendation were quite restrictive ... I think part of the challenge is finding something you can live with, and that looked difficult. (I've got to say that just for a laugh I tried putting food into MFP and trying to hit those macros. It was difficult, but I ended up with 150g of chicken breast for protein, 2 tsp of olive oil for fat, 1/2 a cup of milk for my tea for extras and .... 35 cups of chopped cabbage!).

I do agree about changing the mindset and thinking differently. And yes, the point about more veg - I usually eat loads, but recently I've not been as keen as usual, so that is definitely something to get back to. And yes, the set point thing - I know some people say it's a myth, but I see it in action. My body is definitely trying to reset itself a few pounds above my maintenance weight!

I read conflicting things about protein - either that it's really important to get plenty, or that we don't need nearly as much as we think we do - who to believe? Lol! Like you, I'm having to pay more attention as I'm eating less meat.

Anyway ... at the moment, I'm focusing on not giving in and getting snacks, because I think my main meal is fine ... it's the other stuff. I need to get used to letting myself be hungry and embracing it! I'm hungry because I'm burning off my fat! It's back to the old tricks of distraction techniques in the evening, including having an early night to stop myself eating - lol!
  • Snooozie
    Vail - I honestly believe at this point, WE are each the best authority on what we need for ourselves.. and that each of us here in the group is far smarter than any and all authors of nutrition / do this / don't do that articles !! lol... i just like to share things i may find interesting, so please never ever fear about commenting or disagreeing or agreeing with anything I post my friend!! altho I may never forgive you for putting the image of eating 35 cups of cabbage in my head - just imagine the .. ummm.. side effects THAT would produce??? giggle snort !!! I'm thinking if cows are in trouble for giving off too much methane gas from their rear ends... we'd be banned from any public places with the cabbage!!! haaaaaaaa

its funny reading your post about conflicting ideas on protein (and I totally agree I have no idea if I'm eating too much or too little!!) reminded me when I first came to MFP, I was completely overwhelmed reading all the " DO THIS " threads... everyone was positing about their way being best..

and yep... I was gullible enough to try a lot of them!! I would go a week without losing anything, and immediately jump into say.. low carb... 3 days in with no weight loss.. i'd read a post about "eat more to lose more" and whammo.. i'm there.. lol... and at some point I actually did MATH.. for the TDEE or something... and math and me?? shaking my head now lol... at the end of my first two months I almost gave up cause nothing was happening.. since I was jumping from one "right" way to another... and it was actually some of the original members of this group who kept me from giving up.. TArnold being a major help by going over my diary entries and making some suggestions - the biggest one being stick to the basics lol...and CICO.. stop jumping around for the miracle cure. That's when I started doing just that and ignoring everything else I kept reading and wanting to try... and it DID work.. that's how I lost all the weight... and how I learned to question all the experts for sure lol... .. and oh my some of the arguments that went on in the threads and groups.. lordy!!

but I do still honestly believe knowledge is power, and knowledge comes from an exchange of ideas .... which I why I love hearing thoughts and comments on anything and everything.. it gives me "food for thought" and usually an interest in exploring the info to determine for myself if something works. so I appreciate very much the points you raised for sure!!

and god do I get it about the snackage... I've been trying to replace fruit for snacks.. that and just not keeping them in the house but i'm finding being home at night watching tv is the worst... and I know it's just boredom eating not because i'm actually hungry.... but that doesn't help at all knowing it lol. I am finding my cupboard signs are the best help so far, but now that my numbers have come down, I think i'm gonna need a new one for inspiration.. i'll keep the "what do you want MORE" but looking for the one to remind me whats most important to me... so if anyone stumbles across something please feel free to share lol!!

gotta run; have a gig at the living arts centre tonite... I did a lovely easter church service sunday morning - it was jam packed tho.. still seems weird to me that churches rent a theatre for services but I think this was several diff Baptist congregations in one.. about 1600 of em.. and every seat jam packed.. I think I burned off 1000 calories running up and down stairs trying valiantly to find seats for latecomers lol... I am not Baptist nor particularly religious anymore, but growing up my neighbours (and us kids were best friends) were Baptists and big church goers.. and they always had these "bean suppers" every few months - best baked beans in the world AND always big slabs of home made pies.... our family always got to go along and there will always be a special place in my heart for Baptists. Another memory just struck me that in the winter, whichever side of the street got plowed first? my dad would call mr McLeod and say hey they plowed the "United side first" or he would call my dad and say you'll notice they did the Baptist side first lol".. too funny... ok sorry just a memory popped in so ya know.... rightoooooooooo catch ya'll later!!
  • suzyqholland
    I agree that it would not be possible for me to eat that much veg every single day. I guess it just helped me to read that there are issues with weight loss after menopause. I’ve read some articles that say it’s all in our heads!!! Ha!!! I’ve just come to the conclusion that I’ve got to get more protein and veggies and less sugar and simple carbs and drink more water. That’s my approach and I’m sticking to it.

Now, if I could just get in the strength training that I need!!!
  • Vailara
    edited April 2018
    I love your approach, Suzy. Nice and simple!

Snoozie, the story about your dad really made me smile - so funny! And those bean suppers .. what a lovely memory!

I tried to eat a lot of cabbage last night (I stocked up on veg yesterday ... that post did get me thinking about increasing veg again, although I have to make sure that it replaces other things rather than adds to them!). In fact my main meal (actually my only meal as I was on a 24 hour fast) was mainly vegetables, but I did have a vegeburger in a bread bun with it, and a bit of mayo, and I also used a little bit of oil as dressing, so it very quickly becomes not "just" vegetables. But anyway, it took quite a while to eat through a big plate of shredded cabbage (with the little bit of dressing I made - it would have been difficult if it was undressed!). Lots of chewing which must have burned a few calories. Let's hope there are no ill effects today!

I had a look at Eat More to Weigh Less when I started to. I saw it and thought "that's for me"! Anyway, it turned out, it wasn't for me at all, as I was already eating plenty, and had been previously eating too much. I do think there is a massive difference between a young, fit, active person trying to lose, and a post-menopausal woman with health conditions and so on. The forums can be quite scary, and people are so SURE they've got it right, aren't they? Having said that, I have had some useful information from the forums too. And to be fair, I did the TDEE thing and it worked (maths was one of my favourite subjects at school - lol!) ... but that was before I was post-menopausal!
  • Snooozie
    Vail - kudos on chowing down on the cabbage lol...... and I agree leaving it naked would have been "ugh".... I think it's important we eat food we love and that tastes good and is good for us.. but that's easier said than done sometimes!! Fingers crossed no side effects from the cabbage fest!!

and I agree its making sure the veg is not an "along with " thing. I tried a Jamie oliver type thing today; kinda bastardized his "one tray" meal thing; threw a bunch of veg I had on hand (sweet potatoes, baby carrots, 4 Brussel sprouts, mushrooms, onions and ... what else.. oh 2 near the end of their life little potatoes lol. I chunked it all and just did S&P and a bit of oo, then I used a rub on 4 chicken thighs, threw em on top of the veg and stuck it in the oven lol. The veg got a bit of the rub on it just from moving the chiken around on top... anyway it came out really good as I've never been a fan of thighs - I skinned 3 of them and left one with the skin on just to see what happened. Anyway came out very nice except I didn't like the flavour of the rub... It sounded good.. but blech. i'll eat it though as i'm not gonna waste all that food... BUT.. I was thinking after, if I had just marinated those thighs in some lemon juice, olive oil and oregano and then tossed it on the veg ... it would have been a nice greek flavour and I could have had it with tziki sauce and it would have been yummers... so next time for sure. I only bought the thighs cause they were so much cheaper than the breasts and I thought ok maybe its time I give them another shot. But I love the "one tray" meal thing.. enough there for ac ouple of meals for just me... and yep I used a tinfoil cookie sheet that I just threw away after.. the heigh of laziness yes lol..

Suzy - totally agree with you for sure.. and keep meaning to ask if you're gonna try that fascia massage thing again? I know you were debating it and that the past few weeks with your mom and dad both going thru so much you haven't had time to think let alone plan.. but was just curious if you are still thinking of going back?
  • suzyqholland
    Lemon, olive oil and oregano sounds yummy. I may have to try that. I love tzatziki sauce!

I have been going to the stretching place every Monday morning. I look forward to it for days! It hurts when they do it but afterwards I can freely move my neck!!! My calves are extremely tight so they work on them and my neck every time. We’ve also done my IT band, quads and my back. I absolutely love it; I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I’m not sure I feel a very long lasting effect just yet. It’s going to take a while since it’s taken years and years to get this bad. My husband is the best! He tells me that if there’s any possibility that it’s gonna help in the long run then I should keep going. I’ve gone four times so far.

I hope the cabbage agreed with you, Vail! That can be tricky! I like cabbage but I can’t eat that much of it...bad news for everyone! Hahaha!

We had a dinner function tonight and I didn’t get my walk. I was very proud of myself for the restraint I showed though. I had the salmon and lentils, only one piece of bread and only ate about three small bites of the tiramisu! It wasn’t a great dessert and instead of just mindlessly eating it, I told myself that it didn’t taste good enough to blow those calories. Yay me!! I did, however, have a gin & tonic (my one drink for the week).
  • Snooozie
    Hey Suzy.. yes its a very simple marinade but so good; I will cut up boneless breasts into pieces and marinate for an hour or so in that then pan cook and serve with a salad and tzikii - I forgot actually how easy and good it is - I def should have done that instead of paying $5 for a rub that was icky lol

oh awesome that you've been going to the stretch thing and that it def helps - its funny you mention the calves because mine are rock hard all the time it seems whether i'm walking daily or not.. I may go back to massage therapy and have them work on that; thanks for the reminder!

big score on the restraint; well done you! and I love that you used the "NOT" calorie worthy decision on the dessert.. I would much rather have used the calories from a just "okay" dessert on a glass of wine (or G and T) too!! Yay you!!

I can't believe we are getting snow today... mother nature is NOT getting a Christmas card from me this year lol.. I know it wont last as the temps are supposed to go above zero next week.. but really... it would be nice to see a few days of sun and blue skies !

• suzyqholland
    Snoozie, you could try foam rolling your calves. I’ve been doing that and stretching after exercise and it may be helping.

I blew it tonight and got pizza. I was exhausted and had a brutal headache. I just wanted some comfort food and a comfy couch. I’ve started getting 8 inch thin crust chicken pizzas. I’ve told myself that it’s fewer calories...not sure that’s true though.

Soooooo sorry about the snow!!! I can’t imagine!!! Hang in there, warm weather is coming!
  • Snooozie
    there's nothing at all wrong with a few slices of pizza now and then Suzy ! Unless you ate an entire large 12 slice pizza on your own in which case even then you Would only be over calories for the day! Hope you enjoyed every bite! And yes my physio told me I was supposed to use a foam roller - sadly it's still on my to do list!
  • Snooozie
    edited April 2018
    Morning all!

its still cold and windy, but bring on the sun and everyone is out enjoying the lake paths this morning!! these two little woodpeckers were ignoring us all tho - hard at work while we played!! Was lovely to get down for a walk even if it was only 1/2 hr - now off to the LAC for a dance competition - ummm and no i'm not in it just working it hahahahha have a good one .. (oh and i cleaned my scales yesterday.. all the little lines that run across it, took all the dust out and cleaned her up good... says i'm down 1/2 lb this morning ?? Ya.. I think that was the dust.. i'll have to let it build up again so next time I need a loss I can just clean it!! haaaaaa

k wont let me add the photos will try later!

• suzyqholland
    Did that dance competition motivate you to shake your groove thing? I could use some of that motivation right now. I’m exhausted!

Hoping for nice weather tomorrow for a hike!
  • Vailara
    So funny about the dust on your scales, Snooozie! Mine are working again, but I don't like what I'm seeing on them - lol! I think I preferred when they weren't working and were giving me an ideal weight instead of an actual one (I was tempted to just take it!).

I wouldn't call an 8 inch thin crust pizza a blow out, Suzy! Pizza's basically just a very big slice of bread, as far as I'm concerned. I do think you lose a LOT of calories by going for thin rather than thick crust, as it's a thinner slice of bread. I prefer thin crust anyway.

Speaking of baking, I've had a notion to bake bread recently, and have some dough rising and a sourdough starter on the go. Probably not a good idea, as the reason I stopped baking bread is that I eat too much of it. I'm trying to counteract it by setting aside a bit of my lawn (a posh name for the scrappy bit of grass out the back which was ruined by my dear departed dog) for growing vegetables. I used to enjoy growing vegetables and there's really good soil here. Last time I had a go, many years ago, they were all eaten by slugs. Perhaps the same thing will happen this time, but I'll look into ways of combating them. Apparently the average British garden contains 20,000 slugs, so it might be a losing battle. But I do really love the thought of just stepping outside for fresh veg and herbs.
  • Snooozie
    edited April 2018
    lol Suzy - while I did plan to take to the stage and shake my groove.. apparently being able to flip standing up and contort yourself into every imaginable position is a requirement.. and since they were all kids I didn't want to embarrass them with my skills.. ya that's it .. lol

I was inside for most of the "solo - modern contemporary" acts.. sooooooo I admit it was a little boring at times .. I much prefer the group dances but wowsa some of the little ones were amazing .. some of the bigger kids too but I do enjoy the little ones up there.

Vail - I don't have a green thumb at all; I tend towards plastic plants as that's all I can keep alive.. but I would absolutely LOVE to have a little patch big enuf for some tomatos and peppers and herbs... I wish there was one of those community gardens around me .. where everyone gets a little patch in a big one but alas.. so I hope slugs or not you DO give it a go!! that would be wonderful.. and I'm sure there are a million natural "slug away" methods on the internet.. I remember years ago hearing about leaving dishes of beer around the garden.. I'm not sure if that was for slugs but it seems familiar.. might have been for the gardener too tho.. ha

its funny about thin vs thick crust.. I switched to thin crust a while ago... and now I find a thick crust slightly off putting - if i'm out at wine therapy and we order in I end up usually just eating the toppings and the pointy end of the crust and leaving the edge! Its the same with bread now (except home made i'll get back to that) I've been eating the thin slice bread for so long now (and I recently switched to the Wonder thin slice once I figured out its exactly the same cals/carbs as the weight watchers, but half the price!) but I'm so used to thin slices, I look at a regular loaf and think ugh.. that's too thick blech...

BUT.. as for home made bread of any kind? i'm a goner so I understand why you stopped making it out of self preservation Vail..|!! There's a steakhouse near me that serves warm mini home made bread loaves with a honey butter when you arrive.... and i'm like a maniac.. by the time I've finished the basket I could barely make room for the steak lol.. and sourdough?? I adore it.. every so often I will buy a fresh baked one and have it sliced .. and somewhere I read that sourdough is better for ya so that's my justification lol.

So I read an article the other day that headlined " you burn what you eat" or something like that.. basically it said if you eat mostly refined sugar and carbs, your body will burn that for fuel and leave the fat. If you eat MORE fat, your body will burn fat for energy instead. (of course they were talking about healthy fats like olive and avocado, not bacon... lol)

and I thought to myself well .... isn't that the old atkins diet theory?? i'm pretty sure over the years I tried that one too and iremember it being all meat and fat and little else.. and it occurred to me lordy.. over all these years... whats old is new again, or is being regurgitated as something new.. and really when you start breaking down every current theory (paleo is simply what our grandparents ate; LCHF has been around since the 70's, as has WW which has now just really gone to CICO only using "points" but the same idea.. its no wonder the diet book industry is worth BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars...

I think WE should write a cookbook - the Menopausal Mad Hatters cookbook... with the right marketing we could basically write whatever the hell we want; each take a couple of chapters and make a fortune!! and... gasp.. maybe even Oprah would put us on and make us kajillions more.. i'm telling you we could be RICH!!! whaddya think are ya in?? lol.
  • suzyqholland
    Stellar idea!!! Of course most of my recipes would be stolen from skinnytaste.com!

I wish I had more of a green thumb. I swore I’d never plant tomatoes again (even though I absolutely love homegrown tomatoes!) because the squirrels eat them all. Today, while buying some perennial plants for the garden they had a free tomato plant give away. So I guess I’m planting it. I struggle with trying to grow healthy plants. Good luck Vail! I’ve also heard something about beer and snails.

No hiking today. We had so many errands to run and it was cold and overcast so we chose to take the weekend off. I needed a mental and emotional break so it’s been great and very welcome.

• Vailara
    I'm glad the weekend was restful for you. It sounded like you really needed that!

I honestly have the opposite of a green thumb when it comes to most plants, but I have had a little bit of success with veg in the past, so I thought I would give it another go. I do know I'm lucky to have the space. There are some of those community plots locally - we call them allotments here, but I don't know if that's a British thing - and there are waiting lists for them. People grow veg and keep bees and chickens and so on on them. I would LOVE to have chickens, but I looked into it and it does seem too much of a commitment.

Yes, beer in saucers is an old solution for slugs which I've used in the past! They die happy at least - lol! I think the trouble is that there are just so many of them. I was hoping my chickens would eat them, before I decided not to have chickens.

And yes, low-carb is back in these days. I think it does work well, and it's possible to eat quite healthily (I had a lot of salads when I did Atkins!), but it just seems kind of antisocial. These days, I want something which allows for social eating. But it is funny how things go round in circles. I started off losing weight with the No S diet (no snacks, no seconds, no sweets, except sometimes on S days - Saturday, Sunday, sick days, special days). It was basically three meals a day, and when I think of it now, was a form of intermittent fasting.

I probably shouldn't have started on the bread! The loaf I made yesterday was suprisingly good. It came out like one of those artisan ones that the local bakers sell, with a lovely crispy crust. I made some healthy roasted pepper and tomato soup to have with it to try to counteract just eating a load of flour, but of course that ended up being the opposite of low carb! Can't wait to see how the sourdough turns out. But I might have to slice and freeze the bread to ration it.