Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    I'm sorry about the rain - that sucks ! And sounds like you've already found part of your magic bullet - looking ahead to the trip you've wanted and already knowing you'll be eating less and moving more - sounds like your already on the right path Suzy !
    I braved the scale too and it ain't pretty either. I'm sucking back water today and easing back on the food intake - which isn't hard yet as its only 10 am still lol
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I hope you have a lovely birthday and trip, Suzy! Sounds like you have some active plans. I try to convince myself about the water retention too! Shame about the rain today. We have had lovely weather here in the north of England. I've been out for a walk, but I think you would call it a hike which sounds more exciting! Over hills and moorland, and I certainly felt it. I had to keep stopping going up hill and trudging through the heather felt like really hard work. It was beautiful though, and very quiet. I only saw three other people on the walk - all of them on mountain bikes. (How on earth anybody cycles up those hills, I don't know).

Snoozie, that's exactly what I'm feeling - I feel so much heavier, and I have to admit that I look it too. It's strange how that can happen at virtually the same weight. I feel everything is so much harder, and would be easier if I could lose a bit more. And my joints are really struggling. My knees are painful most of the time now, and probably the only thing I can do for them is take some of the weight off them! Anyway, I don't know how accurate my scales are and I'm not even sure what the "score" for visceral fat means. But I can feel the difference even without the scales. My guess is it's that combination of extra body fat and less muscle/lean mass that's causing the feeling of weakness and extra effort. I also need to keep remembering to do my strength exercises.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Hey ladies... still here in Jersey

UGH... my scale is going the wrong way as well... :/

Losing the weight was "easy" maintaining has been a "female dog"....:(

Good news is that I'm not in the women's department anymore and still wearing a size L / XL (to accommodate the girls) ... lol...

and maintaining the size 14 / 16 pant...

Started at the 220 mark..
    Had gotten down to 175 / 180 - but looked horrible...
    185 is my happy number...
    Now at the 200 mark... when will I shed the "winter coat"???

Good news is that when the hubby cooks, everything is good for us...
    Bad news is that my sweet tooth still exists and chocolate and the rest of the junk are my "go to" for stress..
    I'm the one that needs to keep it out of the house :o

Talk to you ladies...
    Carol
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    Vail, it sounds like a beautiful place to walk/hike! I know what you mean about the bikes but they’re probably thinking that we’re crazy for walking it! I’ve started taking a collagen supplement for my bones and joints and a turmeric supplement for inflammation. I’m not positive that it’s helping but last week I forgot to take them on my trip and my knee was hurting more than usual by the end of the week....so who knows, but I am back to taking them now.

Welcome back Carol! I think it’s fantastic that you know what your ideal number is. I’m looking forward to discovering that for myself one day. Sounds to me like you need to convince hubby to cook all the time! How awesome would that be?!!! Lol! I share your love of sweets. When I did the whole30 program one of the results is supposed to be that you kick the sweet tooth addiction. I must have it bad because it just made me crave it more.

I’ve been reading everything I can find about feeling hungry after eating. Some of the things I’m going to try are:
    1. Drink a full glass of water before eating
    2. Slooooow down while eating
    3. Drink a full glass of water after eating
    4. More fiber through veggies and more good fats

I also need to get my blood work done sometime soon. I just really don’t want to see bad numbers and I’m scared to see the results. Denial is no way to live though.

• Snooozie
    edited May 2018
    Suzy - thanks for sharing those try things.. one of my worst is eating too fast; comes from years at work of "scarfing down" food whenever you can - when i'm out for dinner with friends I have to really be cognizant of eating "normally"; otherwise my plate is empty 20 min before everyone else and they're all staring at me!

A friend of mine started taking a turmeric sup a while back and swears by it.. Jameson has a new one out that has turmeric and ... something else.. omega 3 maybe? I may consider it just to test the waters - like u to see if the inflammation and daily ow all over can be alleviated.. Ive been trying to cut way down on the drugs (that sounds funny lol. the anti inflams ) unless i'm absolutely unable to function as such; it was kinda scary to realize I was pretty much popping one daily, sometimes just cause I was afraid I was going to hurt after doing something physical... its abeen about 7 months since I started only taking them when i'm at my worst but i'd like to replace them all if something like the turmeric works..

I had a gorgeous walk at the lake this mornning' it was hot and sunny but a lovely cool breeze and I was there by 7 so walked longer (but not faster - its still more of a mental health thing for me in the mornings) Problem with walking down there - a lot of tree tunks around - and considering I feel like one now I did not need the reminder hahahaha. kidding!!

But I did laugh - at work we have this thing called "The Morning Meeting" at 8am every day.. and there's always someone who's late.... I took this pic this morning and titled it "Always someone late for the morning meeting!!" Got a lot of laughs from my colleagues on FB !

almbjhv61am1.jpg

Carol lovely to have you drop in!

Vail = I could totally picture your walk - and the part about thru the heather?? ooooooo made me wanna hop on a plane and join you!!!!!
  • Snooozie
    Morning ladies!!!

/i was chatting with a friend yesterday, catching up and while we were talking, she mentioned something she had read that had really struck home with her; she's a scant few years older than me and on her own as her husband passed away a few years ago; but she forwarded to me and I thought as i reading it.. yup.. yup.. yup lol... quite a few are good reminders for me personally so i thought i'd share as we're relatively all in the same age range - and various circumstances so if you have a few mninutes, grab a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine!) and have a read if it interests you...

Some good advice!

1. It’s time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don’t just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law or daughter and son-in-law with big ideas for your hard-earned capital. Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

2. Stop worrying about the financial situation of your children and grandchildren, and don’t feel bad spending your money on yourself. You’ve taken care of them for many years, and you’ve taught them what you could. You gave them an education, food, shelter and support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn their own money.

3. Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking every day), eat well and get your sleep. It’s easy to become sick, and it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why you need to keep yourself in good shape and be aware of your medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with your doctor, do tests even when you’re feeling well. Stay informed.

4. Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together

5. Don’t stress over the little things. Like paying a little extra on price quotes. You’ve already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories and bad ones, but the important thing is the present. Don’t let the past drag you down and don’t let the future frighten you. Feel good in the now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.

6. Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love life, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: “A man is not old as long as he has intelligence and affection.”

7. Be proud, both inside and out. Don’t stop going to your hair salon or barber, do your nails, go to the dermatologist and the dentist, keep your perfumes and creams well stocked. When you are well-maintained on the outside, it seeps in, making you feel proud and strong.

8. Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, but keep your own sense of style. There’s nothing worse than an older person trying to wear the current fashion among youngsters. You’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it and be proud of it. It’s part of who you are.

9. ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You’ll be surprised what old friends you’ll meet. Keeping in touch with what is going on and with the people you know is important at any age.

10. Respect the younger generation and their opinions. They may not have the same ideals as you, but they are the future, and will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, and try to remind them that yesterday’s wisdom still applies today.

11. Never use the phrase: “In my time.” Your time is now. As long as you’re alive, you are part of this time. You may have been younger, but you are still you now, having fun and enjoying life.

12. Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend your time with positive, cheerful people, it’ll rub off on you and your days will seem that much better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you older and harder to be around.

13. Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need our privacy. They need theirs and you need yours. If you’ve lost your partner (our deepest condolences), then find a person to move in with you and help out. Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live alone.

14. Don’t abandon your hobbies. If you don’t have any, make new ones.
    You can travel, hike, cook, read, dance. You can adopt a cat or a dog, grow a garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf. You can paint, volunteer or just collect certain items. Find something you like and spend some real time having fun with it.

15. Even if you don’t feel like it, try to accept invitations. Baptisms, graduations, birthdays, weddings, conferences. Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven’t seen in a while, experience something new (or something old). But don’t get upset when you’re not invited. Some events are limited by resources, and not everyone can be hosted. The important thing is to leave the house from time to time. Go to museums, go walk through a field. Get out there.

16. Be a conversationalist. Talk less and listen more. Some people go on and on about the past, not caring if their listeners are really interested. That’s a great way of reducing their desire to speak with you. Listen first and answer questions, but don’t go off into long stories unless asked to. Speak in courteous tones and try not to complain or criticize too much unless you really need to. Try to accept situations as they are. Everyone is going through the same things, and people have a low tolerance for hearing complaints. Always find some good things to say as well.

17. Pain and discomfort go hand in hand with getting older. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of the cycle of life we’re all going through. Try to minimize them in your mind. They are not who you are, they are something that life added to you. If they become your entire focus, you lose sight of the person you used to be.

18. If you’ve been offended by someone – forgive them. If you’ve offended someone - apologize. Don’t drag around resentment with you. It only serves to make you sad and bitter. It doesn’t matter who was right. Someone once said: “Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.” Don’t take that poison. Forgive, forget and move on with your life.

19. If you have a strong belief, savor it. But don’t waste your time trying to convince others. They will make their own choices no matter what you tell them, and it will only bring you frustration. Live your faith and set an example. Live true to your beliefs and let that memory sway them.

20. Laugh. Laugh A LOT. Laugh at everything. Remember, you are one of the lucky ones. You managed to have a life, a long one. Many never get to this age, never get to experience a full life. But you did. So what’s not to laugh about? Find the humor in your situation.

21. Take no notice of what others say about you and even less notice of what they might be thinking. They’ll do it anyway, and you should have pride in yourself and what you’ve achieved. Let them talk and don’t worry. They have no idea about your history, your memories and the life you’ve lived so far. There’s still much to be written, so get busy writing and don’t waste time thinking about what others might think. Now is the time to be at rest, at peace and as happy as you can be!

REMEMBER: “Life is too short to drink bad wine and warm beer.”

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Thanks snoozie
    Well said
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    This a awesome, snoozie!!

• suzyqholland
    I had read this list somewhere online recently and I couldn’t help but think about my parents and how they’re handling aging. I know with complete certainty that I don’t want to be like them...I want to follow this list! It’s inspiring and full of wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing it!
  • Snooozie
    I really liked it when I read it thru - and I need to remind myself of a few of them more frequently!!

Had my second round of pickleball this afternoon... had a complete blast but should have sat out a few games lolol... ow ow ow !
  • Snooozie
    Suzy - I think you leave on your trip in about 10 days? Are you getting excited yet?

Im making some progress in getting my groove back... tiny steps like more fruit instead of cookies; smaller portions, more water... small changes but it's helping with my attitude adjustment... im changing my focus from losing weight back to simply getting healthier.. i decided i'm not going to "try" to lose weight - im going to concentrate on the moving more/eating better aspect.. and i am just going to assume weight loss will start to occur while i'm working on this.. i feel better and more positive now... maybe taking the pressure off myself by not worrying about the actual pounds being shed right now.. but on overall just .. doing better all around... is helping cause now its about the bigger picture.

And im getting back to remembering all the food i love thats good for me.. so making sure what i choose is not only better for me, but are things i enjoy - no kale for this chick LOL.. i'm all grown up and i dont have to eat it!! haaaaaaaaaaaaa

I got a lovely email from a woman i met at the pickleball drop in letting me know about FREE lessons and play thru the summer at a place near me.. woo hoo! Its more of a winter sport, running sept-june (indoor) so after discovering i had such a blast playing it i was kinda bummed htinking i have to wait til the fall to play... it starts mid june and there are 3 sessions a week at various times which will work nicely with my shifts too! So i'm hoping to play at least once a week; twice a week if my body can handle it lol.. but i have to admit.. altho i was sore after both of my first two rounds - i did it!! Fingers crossed the mroe i place the less ow effect afterwards as my muscles get used to being used ha!!!

• Vailara
    That's really good news about the pickleball! Well done for doing it (and working pretty hard at it, if the pain is anything to go by!). It sounds like you really have it sorted at the moment, with all those "tiny steps" which will hopefully add up - as you say, regardless of the effect on weight, it will still be good for you. I am so with you on not eating things you don't want!

I've had some good news too - hopefully! My doctor's agreed to refer me to a weight loss programme. We'll see if I will be accepted or not, as she said I may not be big enough - lol! Anyway, I usually avoid getting weighed at the doctor's because I know I'll just get told to eat less and move more (and will want to say "what do you think I'm TRYING to do!), so I hadn't been weighed for ages ... so long in fact, that I had lost about 20kg (44lb) since the last weight. The doctor was impressed!

The weather has been good here and I went for a bike ride with one of my groups today. The place I live is kind of downmarket, but I think it's very special ... it's next to the river, and it's a short walk along the riverside to get into the centre of town. However, if you walk down the river the other way, we're in an area that gets flooded often, and so about 100 yards from my house are meadows that have been kept to hold the water during floods. At the moment they are full of clover, buttercups and cows. I'm sure my area is quite unusual in being so close to a city centre and countryside, and being able to reach both by hardly going on a road. I certainly can't afford to move, so I'm glad I'm feeling good about where I'm living!
  • suzyqholland
    Yes, we leave on the 9th which just happens to be the day before my birthday. I’m busy planning our trip and finding that tours are sold out but it’s fine...there’s still plenty to see and do. We’ve decided to go to Shenandoah National Park for the second half of the week and do some hiking. I’m very excited about that. It’s supposed to be absolutely gorgeous!

I’m glad your small steps are working for you. I find that I do great during the day but am completely losing it at night. It’s time to get serious. I know I can do it, I just have to make my health a priority.

Vail, it sounds like a lovely place to live! What’s that saying, “bloom where you’re planted.” We consider ourselves very lucky to have so many wonderful places to hike within driving distance.

Okay! Next week I’m back on my routine of eating well and going to the gym and walking after dinner. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend for a hike!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    " I find that I do great during the day but am completely losing it at night. It’s time to get serious. I know I can do it, I just have to make my health a priority."

This is me exactly, Suzy.

Have a great trip!

Pickle Ball? I've got to look that one up...sounds fun , Snoozie.

• Vailara
    Thanks for that saying, Suzy "bloom where you are planted". I hadn't heard that one before but I really like it! It's great that you have good hiking places in driving distance. Have a wonderful trip! I googled Shenandoah National Park because I'm not familiar with it. It looks absolutely beautiful!

• Snooozie
    Morning Hatters...

Suzy i have never heard that expression before either and love it!! Vail - it may sound silly but from your descriptions I had in mind that place frmo the movie "Holiday" ? With cameron diaz and ... ican't remember the other ones name... but they switch houses over xmas; one in LA and the other a cottage in a place called "Cottswold" or close to that in England..... anyway i remember her loving the cottage because it was far enough away to be in the country and close enough to a town for shopping/pubs etc... so that's how I pictured your place lol!! Hey wanna switch for a week?? sadly i don't have a mansion in LA... but.... ya know.... lol

I stopped this morning for my coffee after my walk and i admit i was considering a donut... but since i was like 8th in line while i was looking at them i realize they all have the calorie counts for each one next to them now.... well some of the "low fat" muffins came in at almost 500 calories... and even the plain donuts were almost 300 and i had time in the line to look at all of them and think... ya know what.. no.. SO not worth it... i still indulge in treats dont get me wrong... but i'm back to choosing "calorie worthy" only - it better be something i am gonna LOVE rather than just something.. because....

so just my coffee came home with me lol!

and I completely agree with those having the evening time probs... im actually grateful i'm working evening shift this week; keeps me a little less able to graze!

oh and Suzy... i totally get why you are reluctant to get your blood work done.. i really do... but.... maybe now is a good time to get a "baseline" set of numbers for everything - so moving forward you will be able to see how you progress. I know it's scary believe me.. but.. i guess because i've been taking my blood sugar levels more often the past week it came to mind.. they've been running higher than i want and its helping me remember thats what i came here for originally - to improve my overall health. So for me having the baseline numbers from a few years ago does help me to see if i'm sliding or progressing... but as i said i totally get that it is a scary thought ...

I'm sorry a lot of the tours you wanted are sold out, but as you said you will find plenty to do ... I am going to google the park too .. i love google earth to be honest... at work the other day we visited the Sistine Chapel via GE lol.. took a 360degree tour of it.... so i'm sure the park will be amazing!!

• suzyqholland
    Here’s a sobering thought:

q4f1w0ofac5b.jpeg
  • Snooozie
    edited June 2018
    sUZY .. SO FREAKEN true... and something I particularly need to remember!! Perhaps if I can equate things like potato chips with poison in my mind it will help me realize they are NOT some kind of reward but self harm! I may print that out at work today - I need a new kitchen cupboard sign as I realized I have become so used to the other 2 I have I don't even "see" them anymore! Thanks !!

I reset my ticker last week or 10 days ago.. whenever it was I got on the scale .. and since I've decided to focus more on overall better eating and less on weight loss at the moment, i'm only going to weigh myself once a week on sundays to see if any weight loss is occurring as a side effect.. the wee bit of a loss showing today therefore is not from my new efforts but likely just from heading back down after gaining the extra... until I break that "set point" number on the scale where i was at for so long and start losing actual weight from there, I'm not considering it a true loss - just getting rid of the extra I had gained.. i'll still take it but until I get back to where I was "stuck" weight, its just fluctuation...

• Vailara
    That's a great quote, Suzy. I need to keep it in mind. So true. I think what got to me about the quote and the "medicine" thing, is that it's dose-related - I do tend to eat good, healthy food, but obviously I have eaten so much of it that it's damaging my body. I've actually turned this healthy, nutritious food into poison by overdosing it! What a thought!

I find the evenings difficult too. Some evenings I'm fine, some evenings I give in (WHY?) and have a little snack - it doesn't feel like I'm massively pigging out, but all those little snacks add up, and stop me losing weight. I do have strategies (herbal teas, going to bed early, having a bath, brushing teeth, etc.), so why don't I always use them?

Snoozie, sadly where I live is nothing like the Cotswolds, which is much posher and more picturesque! Well done on resetting. I still don't have the courage to do that! I'm the same as you with the loss, sadly - losses are showing on my feed, but they are just pounds I've lost before. Well done on getting only coffee too! I'm very much with you on calories having to be worth it! I'm not a big fan of having calorie counts in restaurants (partly because I think they can't possibly accurate, and also because I think they are inhibiting for chefs who would then have to weigh and measure precisely), BUT I can see why they are a good idea, and probably eye-opening, when something that looks like a little snack or treat has all the calories of a main meal.

• suzyqholland
    Why oh why oh WHY do I sabotage myself every evening??!! I’ve got to break this awful cycle!!!