Robert's Southern Fried OMAD Journey

Replies

• EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Amazing loss, Robert!
    How are you feeling today? Still foggy? I also get the immediate fog when I introduce carbs again. It's awful.

Brain fog passed after about 16 hours of fasting. Must be insulin resistance.

My body operates best on around 50 carbs per day, minus fiber. (Disclaimer, not the best for everyone!)

Thank you for asking.
  • cecezo
    cecezo Posts: 22 Member
    Wow 49 lbs is no child's play. Welldone. I agree with you on having a minimalistic fridge. My fridge has been so empty over the last 2 weeks. My cupboards too since I decided not to keep any snacks in the house to prevent mishaps.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    49 lbs is so awesome - congratulations!
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    49 lbs wow how impressive!!!
  • EstrangedTiger
    Thank you.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    I'm super late, but I am also better at the lower carb levels. Eating above 50 total carbs without a workout is pretty much maintenance for me.
  • EstrangedTiger
    edited June 2018
    I'm super late, but I am also better at the lower carb levels. Eating above 50 total carbs without a workout is pretty much maintenance for me.

Indeed, a workout is in order if my intake is a little high on a particular day.

My phrasing above was awkward. I basically run better on veggies, small portions of berries, nuts and protein with a 50/50 fat/protein ratio. Funny enough, I do have some vegan days. Keep my cocktails sugar free, for the most part. Just seems that ends up being 40-50 carbs or less after the macros are calculated.

I’m so “fat adapted” at this point that my splurge days hinder fat burning for only a few hours. Especially if I push the issue with exercise. However, the brain fog remains. OMAD is working, no doubt. I had a huge salad, 10oz ribeye and a whiskey sour for dinner - already back into ketosis at midnight.

Hopefully, at some point - a plate of island food (rice, peas, black beans, plantains, protein, etc) won’t throw me for a loop. Would be my perfect OMAD meal. I like mojitos. A lot. Also, a huge bowl of Pho is divine.

Going to visit Havana someday and eat what I want, without a care.

• dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Pho wow how yummy!!!
  • EstrangedTiger
    dkayingram wrote: »
    Pho wow how yummy!!!

I've made an acquaintance online (restaurant owner) that has a version of Pho, using shredded cabbage for noodles. So, my local restaurant was more than willing to make the adjustment.
  • brittdee88
    Island food was the main reason I couldn't stick to LC when I was engaged (my ex is Puerto Rican), and it was the first meal I had after losing 50 lbs a few years ago that sent me on the dreaded downward spiral! I also absolutely adore Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Singaporean, Thai, etc, and they are all carb-heavy and kick me out quickly. I don't think I ever reached the level of fat adaptation you're currently experiencing, but that is so awesome! I bet you are thrilled :)
  • EstrangedTiger
    Island food was the main reason I couldn't stick to LC when I was engaged (my ex is Puerto Rican), and it was the first meal I had after losing 50 lbs a few years ago that sent me on the dreaded downward spiral! I also absolutely adore Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Singaporean, Thai, etc, and they are all carb-heavy and kick me out quickly. I don't think I ever reached the level of fat adaptation you're currently experiencing, but that is so awesome! I bet you are thrilled :)

Indeed, wish those foods were not a trigger!

I’m trying to figure out which sauces aren’t heavy on sugar, because substituting veggies for heavy starches is a possibility with Asian food.

Yes well, having experience with Atkins is cheating a bit. My hypothesis is our bodies remember.

• EstrangedTiger
    edited June 2018
    I'm making a trip to Pennsylvania this weekend. Friend is graduating from War College.
    Plan on skipping breakfast and having a late lunch and dinner within 4-5 hours, appropriate portions. No snacking. Perhaps some cocktails. My group is health conscious, so this should be easy. I do tend to drink a little much around them and snack on cheese.

They haven't seen me since I started this process, so they will be asking for info versus the usual scowl. One of them is a Lt. Colonel and struggles to stay in shape for PT tests. Think I have her solution!
  • brittdee88
    That sounds like a fun time, and it's great that you will also get to share some valuable IF info! I know what you mean about the drinks and cheese -- wine and a cheese platter are real weaknesses for me.
  • EstrangedTiger
    That sounds like a fun time, and it's great that you will also get to share some valuable IF info! I know what you mean about the drinks and cheese -- wine and a cheese platter are real weaknesses for me.

I'm not sure what the objective is after graduation. You have the usual historic sites and will be staying halfway between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. The rental house is in the middle of nowhere, may just stick to low pop areas for a few days!

• catuccifranco08
    catuccifranco08 Posts: 218 Member
    Day 4 (I won’t be giving daily updates for long!)

I’m working on a 2 hour feeding window today, meal was planned last night.

Smoothie: half n half, cocoa powder, stevia, kale, celery, coffee, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, chia seed, avocado, peanut butter, cinnamon and stevia. This tastes like a chocolate/coffee/pb shake! For dessert. Prepped and put in the refrigerator to have the ingredients blend further. 20oz or so.

Main meal: Tuna Steak with Montreal steak flavor, olive and butter. Asparagus with butter, garlic and olive oil.

I did well today, took a 20 minute walk and prepped my food. Eating 1 hour later. No cheating.

Keep up the great work new to all this thread stuff learning how to post
  • EstrangedTiger

Smoothie: half n half, cocoa powder, stevia, kale, celery, coffee, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, chia seed, avocado, peanut butter, cinnamon and stevia. This tastes like a chocolate/coffee/pb shake! For dessert. Prepped and put in the refrigerator to have the ingredients blend further. 20oz or so.

Main meal: Tuna Steak with Montreal steak flavor, olive and butter. Asparagus with butter, garlic and olive oil.

I did well today, took a 20 minute walk and prepped my food. Eating 1 hour later. No cheating.

Ha! Yes, the interface can be a little wonky, depending on your device.
  • catuccifranco08

So how your OMAD journey going im 16 days in now!
  • EstrangedTiger

So how your OMAD journey going im 16 days in now!

Well, I have gradually worked my way into a full OMAD. Sometimes I need a longer window to eat a proper amount. Overall, I've lost 49 lbs since starting the intermittent fasting process in February. My mood is so much better. I'm shrinking. Back and joint pain have basically been eliminated. Full OMAD is the way to go, in order to maximize the fasting benefits. An added bonus is my strength and stamina have increased greatly.

How about you? What are your positives and negatives?

• catuccifranco08
    Well at first dealing with hunger but doing a lot better now. Yesterday had my first splurge day didnt really want to but family getting all togeter i thought it would enhance me better i feel wonderful all around but im only 16 days in now on OMAD i just take one day at a time.
  • tlblanks1
    tlblanks1 Posts: 201 Member
    The War College, I believe that is Carlisle Barracks. I live about 45 minutes from there. Enjoy your time in PA.