TEAM: The Slimsons (June)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154 .

Replies

• AB0215
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to June!!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 32, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 18 months or so, I decided to change that, I decide that my 30s really will be the best years yet!! I am currently down over 50 lbs and still going, however I don't actually have a goal weight as I weight train and I realize that my weight will likely be more than one of those ridiculous BMI charts, but I do have a fat % goal, so I will know my goal weight when I get there, but it's not really possible for me to know what it is along the way, I just know that I'd like to continue my downward trend!!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5 pounds, and increase my weight training by 20 lbs each lift (squats, deadlifts, bench press) at the end of my training cycle, which is starting April 1st, and runs for 10 weeks, so I won't know this month if I actually hit my strength goals until next month, but I did for my last training cycle so I am hopefully optimistic.

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (ultimate accountability challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "winners circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post
    (Tell us a brief description about your day or goals)
    Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Water Intake: how many ounces? (optional--but good to help keep track)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

This is something that is fun, but challenging to me since I am running out of questions, and I would like to invite any of you guys to feel free to come up with a question you think is fun and send it to me. I am running out of creative questions and would like to use my "Ask the Audience Lifeline."

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: February Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)
    Just type PW & CW if you'd like (or if it's easier, you could keep a note on your PC desktop to make it easier to copy and paste from week to week.)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for me to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to February and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am Lori. I started gaining weight after I had children. Then, I had a psychotic break in 2003 and have been on some psych meds that can lead to weight gain (and they did). I still take some medication. I started mfp years ago, lost about 15lbs and stopped. I don't remember if there was a reason. I am back now and ready to go. My weight fluctuates a lot, one day I am a weight, the next I am 2lbs higher, and it goes in between before it drops back down.

My goal for this month is to lose 5 lbs, My ultimate goal is to get to a normal bmi. I walk for exercise.

• jennfalzon1979
    jennfalzon1979 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I’m Jenn from Ontario Canada (eh). Returning member. Have lost 60 pounds and now trying for my last 20. Cheers to a successful June.
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise yes
  • AB0215
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Hi

I am Lori. I started gaining weight after I had children. Then, I had a psychotic break in 2003 and have been on some psych meds that can lead to weight gain (and they did). I still take some medication. I started mfp years ago, lost about 15lbs and stopped. I don't remember if there was a reason. I am back now and ready to go. My weight fluctuates a lot, one day I am a weight, the next I am 2lbs higher, and it goes in between before it drops back down.

My goal for this month is to lose 5 lbs, My ultimate goal is to get to a normal bmi. I walk for exercise.
    @lorib642 Great to have you, feel free to share as much or as little as you like, and please let us know if there's anything we can help you with!! Let's have a great JUNE!!
  • AB0215
    Options
    I’m Jenn from Ontario Canada (eh). Returning member. Have lost 60 pounds and now trying for my last 20. Cheers to a successful June.
    @jennfalzon1979 Really excited to have you back this month!! You will get those last few pesky pounds soon!!
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    G'day folks, I'm Bryce from East coast Australia. I'm a returning Slimsons member and about half way on my journey from over 300lb to Onederland. (190-something) I disappear off to the bush to work on an off grid cabin project for days at a time and can't post, but when I'm in town I'm pretty chatty lol. My plan is low carb diet with daily fasting. And my exercise comes from daily light industrial/rural work and chores.

Welcome back to all returning and welcome aboard new members. If I could make a suggestion.. Don't be shy. :)
    We have a great group here who will lend you a shoulder when you're struggling and be there to help you celebrate when you're hitting your goals. The more you put into the team the more you will get from it. Lets have a great June.

• CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am a 40 year old teacher from NY. I am married with an 8 year old, a 5 year old, and a 4 year old. I had ankle surgery last summer and put on some weight that I just recently started taking back off. I love to work out, but I also love to eat!!!!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I'm Cristina from NY.
    I'm a returning team member. I joined back in December at 180 lbs and have dropped almost 25 lbs so far!
    My goal is still 5 lbs per month. I have lost about 60 lbs total so far (since starting back in April 2017), and have 20 more to get to my end goal! :)
  • tale_as_old_as_time
    tale_as_old_as_time Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I’m J from Sydney; Australia. I’m a 28 yr old registered nurse and work full time shift work which makes regular eating a challenge. I have 2 school aged children and am generally very busy!

After I had children my weight ballooned from healthy to 100kg (220lbs). I lost it all down to 50kg (110lbs) and recently gained back up to 80kg.

Motivated to lose.
  • dlhollin1
    dlhollin1 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am Dale from Missouri. As an accountant I spend alot of time in an office in front of a computer and thats no help with my weight issues. I have lost and kept off 30 lbs since 1-1-16 but really need to get another 50 lbs off. I am over fifty and really want to enjoy life with no weight related health issues. I walk everyday average 8000-8500 steps , I do dumbbell workouts just about every day but thats not really enough so I need to get more active to be successful. My goal is to lose a pound a week until I hit my goal. I'm looking forward to sharing in everyones weight loss journey. Thanks,
  • AB0215
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @CourtneyLomonaco Welcome back!! Looking forward to another great month!! I can't imagine what it's like to chase after those kiddos, but I completely understand the love of food, I think that's after all why I'm here :smile:

@tinak33 I am having one of those overtired moments like I've had all week and I just had an epiphany at 32 years old....Tina is short for Cristina...yep, that thought has never occured to me before and I'm going to let you all on in a little secret..sometimes my blonde shows through...this is the second time this week. Anyways, welcome back, you're doing great!!

@tale_as_old_as_time I saw your username on the registrations forum and I have had Beauty and the Beast stuck in my head, not sure if that's related to the reason you have that as a screen name, but I really LOVE that movie. Anyways WELCOME to the team, share as much or as little as you like, we're all friends here. Let's all be "losers" together!!

@dlhollin1 Hi Dale! Welcome! I'm from Missouri too, just outside STL and I spend my days in front of a computer these days. I lift 4x a week myself, all free weights, although mostly barbell for me as I'm training for competition, and it's a great way to build muscle and ultimately burn more calories, you're on the right track, and it's great to see you're taking charge of your health!! Welcome, please let us know if we can help you in an way!!

Also as a reference point for our newer team members, feel free to start logging here if you'd like to start getting in the habit, even though the month doesn't officially kick off until Sunday. This is a judgement free zone, share as much as you like or as little as you like, share whatever you'd like. I know me personally, I tend to share a lot. I know that I'm human and for me sharing seems to help keep me on track, but that's not true of all of us, again no judgement!!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    True confessions: i am not a perfect logger. If i don't know i estimate, i do have a food scale and will weigh food.

I don't want to let anyone down.

Track No
    Calories under
    Exercise yes
  • AB0215
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    I used to estimate a lot, but when I got scales I found out I was pretty bad at it lol. I still do a little bit here and there, but I've actually come to really like weighing and knowing. Strangely enough doing things by the numbers seems to be easier than having to make good decisions all the time.

Whatever you do, don't worry about letting anyone down. The competition is a bit of fun, but the real victory here is just working towards our goals.

@lorib642 @Fyreside is right: Don't worry about letting anyone down, you won't, we ALL have ups and downs and that's just how it is. Aslo @Fyreside is right again. I used to estimate, but now that I use the scale, I can't believe how bad at that I was, but I was too, so that's something to consider. The scale is always going to be your best bet, but also realize that it's not always possible to use the scale and in those situations, it's best to estimate and move on.

• Nikki_1130
    Nikki_1130 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys and Gals
    My name is Nikki, 32, from UK. I have a 10 yr old son. I have a mental illness and severe anxiety so I don't leave the house except to take my son to school. I have started walking the 6 mile all round journey instead of taking the bus and all other exercise I do is at home using YouTube and I use scales to weigh all my food.

I have been overweight my entire life, but it's only really been bothering me a lot since I hit 30. So I decided that I need to repair my relationship with food, change the way I think, form new, positive habits and try teach myself some discipline. I started my journey 2 weeks ago and so far so good!

My goals are to lose the excess weight (2lb a week), be fit and healthy, and to pass the knowledge I acquire on my journey to my son so he can make better choices too.

This is my first challenge and I'm really excited to take part!
  • AB0215
    Options
    I have been overweight my entire life, but it's only really been bothering me a lot since I hit 30. So I decided that I need to repair my relationship with food, change the way I think, form new, positive habits and try teach myself some discipline. I started my journey 2 weeks ago and so far so good!
    My goals are to lose the excess weight (2lb a week), be fit and healthy, and to pass the knowledge I acquire on my journey to my son so he can make better choices too.
    This is my first challenge and I'm really excited to take part!
    @BMovieQueen Hi Nikki! Welcome to the team. I think your goals are awesome and realistic! It's definitely important to repair your relationship with food, this is probably one of the most important take-a-ways from any diet and exercise program. I can really relate to your story, I've been overweight literally my whole life, but I never really did anything to change it until I hit 30. Welcome aboard and let us know if we can help you in any way!
  • KT4everFree
    KT4everFree Posts: 206 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    Current member of Slimpsons.
    52 year old, and just sharing this for the first time recent college graduate. My goal is the same as last month. Exercise, going to do the 30 day plank fitness challenge, it may kill me :smirk: and to lose 3 lbs.
    I don’t know about everyone else but my body goes though stages , and I am on the loose stage rather than the hold mode, so I’m hoping for good things.
    Best to all of us in June, we will all do great! <3
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: (Sunday)
    Goals: I think this is the third week in a row where I have failed to actually take my Sunday rest day. Fair enough I have a lot to get done, but I really do believe in the value of a day off for muscles to repair and to generally recouperate. Todays goal has become to pick a day this week to chill and do some work on the computer or something.
    Track: Yes
    Calories:Yes
    Exercise:Yes
    Water Intake: Just enough.

@BMovieQueen Hi Nikki, I'm doing the anxiety with agoraphobia thing too. So I genuinely understand the challenges. In the last 12 months I've been pushing myself to try to get out more. But if I'm honest, it's not really getting any easier, so avoidance is still my go to move. I'm working on creating a little spot in the bush where I can work from home and just not go anywhere. I actually feel great when I'm there, just getting there sux.

A quick welcome to @tale_as_old_as_time and @dlhollin1 Great to have some new faces in the team. You both clearly know how to lose weight, looking forward to sharing the journey with you.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Good Afternoon Slimsons!!

Finally finished closing out May, so you all now have my undivided attention!!
    Sorry I've been a bit absent these last few days. I've been (for the first time in months) finding my time more limited, and it's just a bit of a shift for me, but I will get there.

Some housekeeping:
    For those newbies, this is day one of the June challenge and if your weigh in day is Sunday, this will be your first weigh in so don't forget to post it today!!
    Also, your weekly mini challenges begin today so go ahead and start posting those today as well.

Anyways, WELCOME to JUNE officially. For those of us in the US, this is a holiday weekend, and I'm imagining that eating for some of us this weekend might be a challenge, but let's start the month strong and do the best we can with it!! I know life isn't perfect and we all have lives and family and still want to enjoy them, just realize that it's a small amount of time in the long run and don't get discouraged if this weekend doesn't go your way.

Some food for thought as we begin this new month:
    zkgdar66jtey.jpg
    It's not easy, if it was, everyone would do it, those are the words I live by. I do what I do, not because it's easy, but because I have goals and I want to achieve them. The only way I will get there is by taking the actions I need to do that. I realize that those steps may be easier some days than others, but every step, every action I take gets me closer to my goals. Let's all do what's not easy, but necessary and get to where we want to go!!

This discussion has been closed.