Options

Replies

• KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @
    NikkiJRM wrote: »
    Keeping convenient keto-friendly foods in the pantry at all times.
    Giving up the daily caffeine. I always go back to it, but after almost a year on keto, I know for a fact I don't lose weight while having caffeine. It's not the creamer or sweetener, because I can have decaf just fine.
    Log the darn food no matter how annoying it is. (love/hate relationship here).

I definitely agree and identify with these 3 points you listed. I have known for a while that caffeine is a "sabotager" in my weight loss efforts. It causes cravings late in the day that I seem to have no willpower against. Years ago when I lost a bit of weight (not on Keto) I made a list titled, "What I was doing" to remind me of the good habits that were helping me. One of the habits was 1-2 cups of coffee - weekly. The other days I could have 1 cup of green tea, and 9 am was the cut off time. If I had caffeine after that I was like Golem at the refrigerator that night! Another was no less than 3 liters of water daily. I was following a low'ish carb diet at the time but it didn't last. Keto is the only way of eating that had me at, "Hello."

It's so interesting to me how we are all so different (yet alike in other ways) and how each of our bodies require or want different things to lose weight and to feel good. I feel that caffeine is something that helps me because I have found that when I start to feel sluggish, etc. I crave sugar or certain foods and a little additional coffee takes care of that for me.

I love that on keto, I am able to track how different foods affect me. I think that the mass quantities of sugar and carbs I was consuming before were 'clouding' my ability to see what different foods were doing to me so it was impossible to make any effective changes. I am not just more mentally aware, I am more physically aware and in tune with my body.
  • eggfooyamyam
    eggfooyamyam Posts: 196 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

@KristinLeeD

It probably wouldn't be so intense if the coffee I make wasn't an XL mug of black gold you could practically cut with a knife. I so agree about Keto helping to pinpoint trigger foods. On the 4th of July, I was all good until I wasn't. I tried all of it, corn chips, crackers, pretzels, etc... And lo and behold, 20 minutes later I was scratching my arms like a lunatic from hives I get when I eat gluten. No matter how off the rails I go (and it's never totally horrible), I still haven't eaten pasta or pizza in 4 months. That would send me over the edge.

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Revised July Goals ;)

Keto Starting Weight: 153
    Current Weight: 132
    July Goal: 128 (4 lbs)
    Ultimate Goal: 115

Thursday 07/05: 132
    Sunday 07/08
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29

Yeah! Good Luck in July and enjoy those events and holidays!! <3
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @diaforest59, I feel the same way, isn't it amazing?

@stormywxs288 I kicked coffee because of heart arrhythmia (cured now/fingers crossed) but started again. I limit myself to multiple uses of one k-cup per day, so after a couple drips, it's flavored water (w/almond milk). Don't know if that appeals to you, but it's one way of enjoying the ritual with less caffeine.
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @stormywxs288
    Beware of cutting it cold turkey. You will have headaches for several days. I used to drink a lot of it until I figured out that the caffeine was making my heart do weird things. It took me three days to get it out of my system and finally feel like myself again. Now I drink decaf and I'm just fine with that. You don't have to give up the routine, just remove the caffeine. (Hey, I think that rhymes! ) Start by replacing 1 or 2 cups per day with decaf. Over a week or two gradually increase the decaf ratio until that's all you're drinking. Or you can cut off the caffeine right away and still have your coffee. I'm just warning you that you will probably have negative withdrawals if you do. I've decided if something affects me that badly when I DON'T consume it, it can't be all that good for me when I do. I haven't missed caffeine one bit, and avoid it altogether now.
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @PaulaKro & @Cbishop7777: Thanks for the advice! Besides discussions on this thread about caffeine, I’ve been motivated to consider quitting coffee for my own health concerns. Lately, I’ve been able to hear my heart beat through my hearing aids. I’ve been on the verge of high blood pressure for a while now. I routinely monitor and check my blood pressure and it has been creeping up lately. It may be because of my increased activity or other reason but I think eliminating caffeine is worth investigating.

I tend to approach problems with the brut force approach, so I value your kinder gentler suggestions. Now I need to get the motivation to do it before health issues make it a requirement.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @stormywxs288, I quit caffeine in 2000. It really is not hard to switch to decaf but as suggested by @cbishop7777, you may want to try weaning yourself off it. Not having caffeine did give me headaches for a few days. I've been drinking decaf now for 18 years so still get a bit of caffeine but if I drink "hi-test", wow. I get jittery, get heart palpitations and/or feel over heated (sweaty). It's pretty bad stuff, for me.
  • sdw1262
    sdw1262 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to the group! I'd like to join the July challenge if it's not too late! For the spreadsheet, do I enter my name and go from there? Thanks!

Keto Starting Weight: 191
    Current Weight: 182.1
    July Goal: 177
    Ultimate Goal: 125

Sunday 07/01 183.2
    Sunday 07/08
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29
  • eggfooyamyam
    Options
    @stormywxs288 I keep on the counter a lovely tin of half regular, half decaf coffee. I don't always use it. The last few days I've been having regular coffee with my husband in the morning. The mornings I do use the half decaf coffee, it still does the job. You might consider a slow transition using decaf mixed in with your regular coffee. I need to get back to it, too! I've also noticed that when I ease up on the caffeine and drink more water, I look less tired - the circles under my eyes lighten up. I'd love to get rid of it altogether, but I'm not ready. Thank you for always contributing to this forum!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @sdw1262 Hi and welcome, yes just find the next space on the spread sheet and add your name. Generally, as you will have seen, we also add our weight here in the Monthly Challenge weekly as well and also use this part to chat, ask advice and occasionally moan!!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    Start weight 09/24 184
    Sunday 06/24 149.2

Sunday 07/01 148.0
    Sunday 07/08. 148.0
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29

I'll take that as a positive as I've not gained especially as we've just had friends staying and there was some free flow alcohol and food, must have been restrained!!
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope last week went well for all.

I have some weird water weight thing going on right now- I've put on a pound or two every day for the last 4 days. Not sure what is going on, but hopefully it will go away by next weigh-in.

I ended up eating at maintenance this week because I have been struggling at the gym. Sadly, more calories didn't really help- I couldn't even handle my warm-up weights at the gym yesterday. Annoying, especially on top of the scale numbers. If I'm going to gain 5 lbs in a week, I should at least be awesomely strong at the gym. :)

Sunday 07/01- 167.3 lbs
    Sunday 07/08- 172.7 lbs
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29

• eggfooyamyam
    Options
    I didn't exactly have a perfect Keto day on July 4th, and though I have been so good and so focused since then, I'm still paying for it. I try to keep positive and recognize that 4 months ago before starting this journey I was 25 pounds heavier. But when weight loss stalls, it can be frustrating. I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday watching Keto videos trying to find answers. I'm keeping my carbs extra low and I'm hitting my fat macros - keeping my protein very moderate in hopes to kick start some weight loss again. Also, if it were a perfect world, I'd have a bowel movement right before weigh-in on Sundays, but that almost never happens. There it is folks - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly! Thanks for always showing up here and sharing your experiences.

Keto Start 3/01 - 184.5lbs

Sunday 07/01 - 157.6lbs
    Sunday 07/08 - 158lbs (+.4)
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29

• chinatowninchina
    Options
    I didn't exactly have a perfect Keto day on July 4th, and though I have been so good and so focused since then, I'm still paying for it. I try to keep positive and recognize that 4 months ago before starting this journey I was 25 pounds heavier. But when weight loss stalls, it can be frustrating. I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday watching Keto videos trying to find answers. I'm keeping my carbs extra low and I'm hitting my fat macros - keeping my protein very moderate in hopes to kick start some weight loss again. Also, if it were a perfect world, I'd have a bowel movement right before weigh-in on Sundays, but that almost never happens. There it is folks - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly! Thanks for always showing up here and sharing your experiences.

Sunday 07/01 - 157.6lbs
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29

Just wondering if you would be better dropping the fat amount and increasing the protein? Maybe try that for this week and see where it takes you?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Sunday 07/01 - 157.6lbs
    Sunday 07/15
    Sunday 07/22
    Sunday 07/29

Stay positive. You're 25 pounds down. You're not in a "stall". Haven't you lost at least 4 pounds since the beginning of June? Also if you eat keto then have a "not so keto" day, your weight may jump due to water/increasing glycogen stores. You know this. Right?