The Projects Page

Options

Replies

• LeslieW77
    LeslieW77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm surrounded by unfinished projects, both at home (scrapbooking, unorganized genealogical documents, photographs, landscaping) and at work (a historical society/research library - we don't have anyone who curates so all the donated items are piling up). These cause me to feel overwhelmed, guilty, and stressed every time I see them. I plan to tackle the photographs first, scanning them all, and then just keeping the hard copies of the ones I'll actually put in albums.

I love the timer idea, so plan to bring a timer to work and let my staff know I'm not available during the time frame that I'm curating/organizing the collection office - a minimum of 30 uninterrupted minutes.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to the unfinished projects part of your post and your feelings regarding them! Having a plan is the first step and you've got that. I've had to let go of the idea that I can be done with everything by, oh say next week🙃. I've had to schedule a time to work on my top priority project and to be as consistent as possible with it. I had just been bouncing around from one thing to the next for too long and never feeling like I had accomplished anything. Just getting started knowing there will be an end point (I say that loosely because it seems many things aren't ever really "done") is a great incentive to keep going. You've got this!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @LeslieW77 and @nebslp, thanks for waking up this thread. You reminded me that now that the weather is warmer it is time to take out that blouse I finished in December. So here I am wearing it. Sorry that I’m hopeless with selfies.

• 77tes
    Options
    teo8t8qfffp4.jpeg
  • nebslp
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @LeslieW77 and @nebslp, thanks for waking up this thread. You reminded me that now that the weather is warmer it is time to take out that blouse I finished in December. So here I am wearing it. Sorry that I’m hopeless with selfies.

Very nice! How fun it is to wear something pretty that is totally your creation!

I couldn't help noticing the rock below the mirror. I am a lifelong random rock collector. Is there special significance to this one?
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    @LeslieW77, yes, also sending thanks for waking up this thread! I so enjoy seeing pictures of all the creative endeavors being finished here.
    I also understand about unfinished projects. Good idea to use a timer so that you can curate the donated items! Timers are my best friend when doing house work so that I keep going till the timer goes off, especially for those mundane tasks that still must get done. And I use one for my yard/garden work so that I keep changing positions, or get up and drink some water and/or eat a little something while putting in the hours, especially on the hot days.

@77tes That blouse is gorgeous. I'm glad that you remembered to take it out to wear now that the weather is changing! I also noticed the rock that @nebslp mentioned.

@nebslp, you have been very focused when working on your top priority project(s) and are very consistent doing it. That is great insight when you wrote above: "I had just been bouncing around from one thing to the next for too long and never feeling like I had accomplished anything." That is something that I will need to consider for some things that I have not been finishing.

:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp and @texasgardnr , thanks for noticing my rock! My grandpa was a Rock Hound and kept a rock shop in the desert after he retired, so I'm a rock lover for sure. That rock came from First Beach on the Olympic Peninsula. a memory of a terrific trip my sister and I took there.

I love my shirt. It is a bit of a train wreck. At first it was too tight, now it's too big, but it feels amazing, and I know I'll love wearing it while I try not to point out the flaws. :D
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @nebslp and @texasgardnr , thanks for noticing my rock! My grandpa was a Rock Hound and kept a rock shop in the desert after he retired, so I'm a rock lover for sure. That rock came from First Beach on the Olympic Peninsula. a memory of a terrific trip my sister and I took there.

I love my shirt. It is a bit of a train wreck. At first it was too tight, now it's too big, but it feels amazing, and I know I'll love wearing it while I try not to point out the flaws. :D

You made that shirt? It looks like it fits you perfectly! I really like it, and the color looks really pretty on you.

I am also a rock collector! My husband and I bring home a rock from pretty much anywhere we go for the first time. We have bricks from old homes we owned that were torn down also. Rocks from the South Dakota Badlands, Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, Florida, Arizona, various Door County state parks, Minnesota, etc. Our grandkids love to listen to stories of where and how we found them. Such a simple thing that brings such pleasure! I love your story of your grandpa! :flowerforyou:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    I typed a big post & went to look for something & lost it.

Project: getting camper repaired by end of July - earlier if possible.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Little Projects and Big

This month I made a list of the little projects around the house that I conveniently seem to forget and never get around to doing . Anytime I had some spare time on my hands, I would go to the list and pick one to do. Worked like a charm ... today I will tick off the last one on my list for June. I think I will make this an ongoing habit and do another list for July.

Big Project - The sizable shed in my back yard needs to be painted. Originally, I had planned to hire someone to do it. As I was sitting on the patio last night looking at it, I decided that there was absolutely no reason I could not do it myself. So .... Painting the shed in my big project. Hoping to get it done before I head off to Alaska at the end of the month.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @jan110144 Planning one big project and making a list of small ones is a great idea! I have a mental list but it keeps getting lost somewhere in all the confusion up there🙃 I hope camper repairs and painting go well in July.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @jan110144 Great idea!
    Currently getting slow leak car tired repaired - usually my husband handles these things- no reason I can’t!

I’m going to start my July list this weekend!
    Thanks!
  • jan110144
    Options
    Painting the shed. Progress: Purchased the paint and supplies. Washed the shed. Will start painting this week. Plan is to do one side a day, depending on weather forecast (heat and rain). Not quite sure about the 'tall' parts, but I think I can do this. Doing this myself also fits into my financial management effort since I will save quite a bit of money doing it myself. Will decide after I finish this if I am prepared to paint the wood trim on the front of the house. (A bit more concerned with how capable I will be of doing this without making a mess ... at least the shed is in the back of the house behind a fence where pretty much nobody but me sees it!)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Painting the shed. Progress: Purchased the paint and supplies. Washed the shed. Will start painting this week. Plan is to do one side a day, depending on weather forecast (heat and rain). Not quite sure about the 'tall' parts, but I think I can do this. Doing this myself also fits into my financial management effort since I will save quite a bit of money doing it myself. Will decide after I finish this if I am prepared to paint the wood trim on the front of the house. (A bit more concerned with how capable I will be of doing this without making a mess ... at least the shed is in the back of the house behind a fence where pretty much nobody but me sees it!)

@jan110144 You can do the trim! I painted summer of college, after a few hours, you don’t even need to tape it!

You are an inspiration!! (Yes, I gave a shed & trim to paint & some stucco repair & some of the wooden trim needs replacement!) I better get in it before rains begin!
  • jan110144
    Options
    The shed is done. Not quite as bad as I had anticipated. The front took 3 hours (lots of brush work and second coat on trim since I went lighter) but finished the other 3 in about 5. Quite proud of myself since the tall sides required a 10 ft ladder and I typically don't go more than 17 hands off the ground (I don't really care for heights).
  • 77tes
    Options
    @jan110144, that shed looks terrific!!! Very professional!! I love that you know how far off the ground you don't mind getting in a horsey measurement. You were brave to face that particular fear.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @jan110144 I agree with @77tes !

That’s a tall shed! You’re inspiring me!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    @jan110144 That is one good looking shed!
    I had to giggle a bit when I read "17 hands off the ground". I don't know high that actually would be, but it definitely sounds way too high for me, let alone a 10 foot ladder. You are the brave one! And an awesome builder of sheds :) .

:flowerforyou:
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    I've decided to keep track of my progress on a quilt I'm making. Since our granddaughter moved into her own apartment, we now have an open room that will probably become a guest room. I have an idea of what I'd like the colors and decor to be in there and I want to make a quilt for the bed. I've never made a quilt that I have kept...just made baby quilts for the most part. So this is a new undertaking for me. But I really love the peaceful feeling I get when I'm in my sewing area, and I think it's time that I take the time to do things I enjoy. Every project doesn't have to be a cleaning of something. Sometimes a project can just be something fun, right?

So, if you don't mind, I'll check in with my progress and issues I may run into! :)

So far, I have the blocks sewn together and am currently cutting them to make them perfectly square. :flowerforyou:
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I was excited to see someone had posted on the Projects page. Can you see how excited I am to hear about your quilt😁!!! Keep us posted as to how it’s going! I think it’s important to keep a balance of projects between work and play. And play is just as important (maybe more) for our creative minds. The more you play, the more fun you have, you feel more productive, that gives you energy and desire to do more, and so it goes!

Do you use a rotary cutter and quilting ruler to square up your blocks? That seems to work best for me.