The Projects Page

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    @znaoiec Sorting through pics is a great project to work on! It’s time-consuming so any amount of Time you can put toward it is progress. 😊

I totally agree! Go Team!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    I’m done sewing my granddaughter’s quilt top. I still have to do some pressing and clean up threads but the end is in sight👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻. I’ll try to add a pic here.
    2mrzjlpi54pr.jpeg
    ry41fa6a0mdh.jpeg
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @nebslp I LOVE IT!!!! You did such a nice job! She will love it! Are those Disappearing 9 patches sewn together or did you use different sized squares to make your blocks? Love it!

I'm beginning to sew my top together today and will share a picture when I get it together.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Thank you! I don't know if there's a name for my block because I just drew it out on paper and then figured out how much fabric I needed. Boy, did I cut that close! I have (fingers crossed) just enough of the red for the binding and barely anything of the monkey fabric left after I put the back together. The finished pieces are 2x2" blue, 2x4" red, and 4x4" monkeys. The sashing is 1 1/2" beige 8" strips connected together and 1 1/2" monkey squares. It was an experience and I learned SO much.

Did you get yours put together yet? Can't wait to see it!!
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    My new project: clean out the kitchen cabinets. My hubby is bringing the laundry into the house, as it's been in a cheesy add-on off the back of the house. I need to make space, which I don't want to since it's too small already. Yesterday I started the prelims- get out the plastic bins (and wash them) and every box I could find.

Today I began the slow process of moving all out of the china cabinet and bookshelf. Tomorrow I will clean out the pantry space, where all of the canned goods and most all other non-perishables are stored. Everything's gotta move out of that part of the kitchen so my hubby can plumb the water/gas lines and build a new cabinet. I'm getting a new washer and dryer (and water heater) for Christmas- YIPPEE! All worth the pain and suffering now. The worst part is trying to figure out where to put all of the displaced food. I'm sure we'll eat it all down by summer (ha ha).

I've got to pace myself on those busy days, and still enjoy all the Season brings. Lots of parties and events the next couple of weeks, so I commit to finding some rest/down time for myself too.

You quilters are awesome- loving the monkeys! I don't know my way around a sewing machine, but obviously you girls do.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Oh my, it's January 20th and my project isn't completed. It does look nice, and having our laundry inside is handy. My hubby did most of the work/procrastination, but I was employed for the painting, staining, cleanup towards the end. I've moved back most of the pantry, but it doesn't all fit back in, ha ha! I'd like to organize the rest of my kitchen, but I think that will have to wait while I do something fun for a while- like make some jewelry. :)
  • LoriAnna62
    LoriAnna62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Theme: Greater Happiness
    Challenge: The Projects Page

No, you likely won’t be able to wrap up your project this week. But if you set aside 15 minutes a day...you won’t be stressing about it anymore!

I'm going to start this. I've been procrastinating horribly lately & the work left undone is weighing on my happiness. 15 minutes seems doable, and once I get started, maybe I'll keep going.
    I'll be reporting daily.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    LoriAnna62 wrote: »
    Theme: Greater Happiness
    Challenge: The Projects Page

No, you likely won’t be able to wrap up your project this week. But if you set aside 15 minutes a day...you won’t be stressing about it anymore!

I'm going to start this. I've been procrastinating horribly lately & the work left undone is weighing on my happiness. 15 minutes seems doable, and once I get started, maybe I'll keep going.
    I'll be reporting daily.

@Lorianne62 Yes! 15 mins is long enough that you can get things, but not so long as to be burdensome. I use it all the time: 15 mins to straighten art studio, 15 min kitchen cupboard organization, 15 min “go through accumulated jars & yogurt containers, 15 min refill soap dispensers. Kinda makes it more like a game!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    OK, I had an idea.
    I’m over 60 & the recommendation of the experts at UCSF is that all 60+ folks should stay home.

OK, I’d kinda figured that would be prudent esp because I have an underlying health issue & am immuno-suppressed.

OK, so maybe 12-18 months until enough of us build immunity (by having it) to SLOW the spread/reduce the risk.

So, I started thinking. What would be a good goal that could be accomplished in 12-18 months...day by day?

To give me a sense of purpose & accomplishment
    Keep me active: both mind & body
    Have fun!

Things I thought of:
    Writing a book (or finishing my previous rough draft)
    Creating an art blog/website/YouTube/Etsy etc.
    Doing the same but for education 3 since more students will be at home. I’m an experienced teacher.

Still thinking...
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I love this! I do believe you've never had a glass half empty or half full since I've known you. Your cup always runneths over!!! I hadn't thought that long range but anything is possible.
    Which one of these ideas has kept nagging at you for awhile? Which one would make you feel most fulfilled? Which one would be most fun and interesting that would excite you so much you couldn't wait to get started? I can't wait to see where this takes you!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Awww @nebslp
    You are so sweet. Thank you.
    I actively cultivated the positive approach; otherwise, I was gonna make myself more stressed.

Some of my favorites:
    Just remember
    1) the odds of living in a planet that supports life 😳
    2) the odds we were even born 😳
    3) the odds we were even born to our parents 😳
    4) “Life isn’t fair”
    5) “You are stronger than you know”
    6) “The turtle wins the Health race”
    7) Health first.
    8) Everything changes
    9) Don’t worry because if it does come true, you will have put yourself through it twice, four times, etc.
    10) ...not gonna get outta this life alive...
    11) Everything changes, except our love for each other (addition by my husband ❤️)
    12) In a tough situation, identify what you can control...and what you can’t. Put your energy into prioritizing and deciding on the things you CAN control.

From my wise father: 4, 9, 10

One method I use is:

“How might we...?” Or “How might I...?”
    The teacher came about by asking “How might I make tracking more efficient & fun?”

The 12-18 month idea:
    “How might I make the most of being home bound the next 12-18 months?”

I use it with my goal setting:
    “How might I make maintenance easier & less scary?”

And then brainstorm like crazy - the wilder the better. Inside the wild ideas is often a germ of a terrific idea.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Coming up with a weekly housecleaning schedule... paused our cleaning lady (with pay)..

Do any of you have one you love?
  • nebslp
    Options
    g659tfgwjsdp.jpeg
    I hope this is the right picture. All I see is numbers so who knows what you’ll get! Hopefully it’s the Quilts Of Valor quilt top that I finished. Someone else will do the binding and quilting so now I just have to hang on to it until we start having meetings again. Looks like it may be awhile.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and others who may be interested... Blueprint, formerly known as Craftsy, is offering unlimited free classes until April 9th. What a great way to learn something new or brush up on something old! There are some cool art classes that I thought might interest you such as one on creating art journals and learning different art techniques. I'm taking one on Photography and another on free motion quilting. So much to experience, so little time:)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 and others who may be interested... Blueprint, formerly known as Craftsy, is offering unlimited free classes until April 9th. What a great way to learn something new or brush up on something old! There are some cool art classes that I thought might interest you such as one on creating art journals and learning different art techniques. I'm taking one on Photography and another on free motion quilting. So much to experience, so little time:)

@nebslp thank you so much!! I’ll check it out :) your classes sound great too!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,759 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Oh wow, @nebslp! That quilt top is gorgeous! Brava!

@MadisonMolly2017 , what a great idea!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes thank you. I'm making masks and pieced Easter baskets now. I definitely like smaller projects much more.
  • nebslp
    Options
    My current projects are digital photo organization and storage, and I am making mini quilt blocks to use for May Day baskets (AKA unfinished Easter baskets)! I’m excited that I made a long considered decision about the storage location today. I will use an external hard drive and Google Photo storage. And I have the 1 inch half-square triangles pieced and trimmed and ready to stitch.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    My current projects are digital photo organization and storage, and I am making mini quilt blocks to use for May Day baskets (AKA unfinished Easter baskets)! I’m excited that I made a long considered decision about the storage location today. I will use an external hard drive and Google Photo storage. And I have the 1 inch half-square triangles pieced and trimmed and ready to stitch.

@nebslp
    Big decisions!!
    My friends & family love Google Photo. I haven’t switched yet...
  • nebslp
    Options
    abno79q6ujyf.jpeg
    jh528041y24o.jpeg
    Latest project complete. Next I’ll be making cushions for our outdoor swing and a fabric roof for the mule (Kawasaki).