• jcgator2016
    jcgator2016 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Username: jcgator2016
    Weigh in week: September Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 268.2
    Current Weight: 264.4

Considering I was at 269 on Sunday, I'll take it. Fell short of 5 lb loss, will have to work harder to finish the month strong. Month end goal is 260, got my work cut out.
  • ekuassi
    ekuassi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Username: ekuassi
    PW: 168.9
    CW: 171.9

So disappointed and upset with myself ☹
  • momma3times
    momma3times Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ekuassi wrote: »

There is no need to be upset with yourself. Life happens. It is how you choose to turn this around and make next week a win that matters. I have found that learning how to pick myself up from a rough week has been very helpful in long-term success. We are not going to have great weeks every week. That is impossible, we are human. Instead of feeling upset, think of a way you are going to commit to take care of yourself next week.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    Username: SLIMn2016
    Previous Weight: 166.6
    Current Weight: 166.3 (-0.3)

.3 down.... doesn’t look thrilling, but I’m happy bc I boosted my weights this week so I’m certain I’m retaining water from that and other TMI things :s

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

There is no need to be upset with yourself. Life happens. It is how you choose to turn this around and make next week a win that matters. I have found that learning how to pick myself up from a rough week has been very helpful in long-term success. We are not going to have great weeks every week. That is impossible, we are human. Instead of feeling upset, think of a way you are going to commit to take care of yourself next week.

@ekuassi She's right, you just have to turn it around, take that negative energy and use it as fuel for next week! You got this!
  • CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Weekly Weigh in:
    Username: CourtneyLomonaco
    PW: 156.6
    CW: 153.6

I cannot wait to get under 150! I am so pumped!
  • jcgator2016
    Options
    Weekly Weigh in:

KA-BOOM! Great job Courtney!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Daily Post for Thursday:

Track: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: stairs at work
    Water: 115 oz - ish

Still working on this IF thing, and I'm liking it! I got into a few not so good habits, as I stopped tracking, so this is helping me get back on track on so many things. Also, I managed to get closer to my calorie goal for the day. So definitely a win there! My big worry was that I wouldn't get enough calories in, and even though I felt hungry, I would "wait". And while I know some people can manage that for a while, I still need fuel to stay awake, if anything!
    Still not getting enough sleep, with a little one who isn't feeling well and wakes multiple times a night, so combining that with no coffee till noon, is SO HARSH.... hahaha!!
    But I have been waiting till I can't wait anymore... and then I have my cherry coke zero. Helps take the edge off till it's COFFEE TIME! So I am learning little things to do here and there to help me along. But the scale is showing my progress! And if I can keep this up for another week, I will end the September Challenge on a high note!
  • momma3times
    momma3times Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Weekly Weigh in:

Great weigh-in!!! Congrats!
  • AB0215
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    Daily Post for Thursday:

Still working on this IF thing, and I'm liking it! I got into a few not so good habits, as I stopped tracking, so this is helping me get back on track on so many things. Also, I managed to get closer to my calorie goal for the day. So definitely a win there! My big worry was that I wouldn't get enough calories in, and even though I felt hungry, I would "wait". And while I know some people can manage that for a while, I still need fuel to stay awake, if anything!
    Still not getting enough sleep, with a little one who isn't feeling well and wakes multiple times a night, so combining that with no coffee till noon, is SO HARSH.... hahaha!!
    But I have been waiting till I can't wait anymore... and then I have my cherry coke zero. Helps take the edge off till it's COFFEE TIME! So I am learning little things to do here and there to help me along. But the scale is showing my progress! And if I can keep this up for another week, I will end the September Challenge on a high note!

@tinak33 I think that IF really gives me freedom I really need from food and honestly it's a lot easier for me if I just keep myself busy, I tend to have better focus, and I don't get that sluggish feeling right after eating, well until dinner, at which point I'm winding down getting ready for bed anyway so it works.

Keep going, you'll end Sept on a high note for sure!!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    tinak33 wrote: »
    Daily Post for Thursday:

@tinak33 I think that IF really gives me freedom I really need from food and honestly it's a lot easier for me if I just keep myself busy, I tend to have better focus, and I don't get that sluggish feeling right after eating, well until dinner, at which point I'm winding down getting ready for bed anyway so it works.

Keep going, you'll end Sept on a high note for sure!!

I do notice that I am more alert in the afternoon, which is great! HOWEVER.... I also feel more brain fog and sluggish in the morning.... and sometimes the caffeine headache sets in... That's when I grab my soda.
    Right now, I am battling major brain fog, as I am beyond exhausted. Part of me wants to say "No IF today!" But I really want to see if I can stick it out.
    I am going to break the fast tomorrow, so I can have my coffee during my hour drive to a friends house for our kids to have a playdate... But I most likely won't eat while there. So while I might have calories earlier, I will still be holding off the indulging...
  • AB0215
    Options
    SLIMn2016 wrote: »

.3 down.... doesn’t look thrilling, but I’m happy bc I boosted my weights this week so I’m certain I’m retaining water from that and other TMI things :s

@SLIMn2016 I didn't lose weight for almost 6 months, but I gained so much muscle (which was my goal anyway) I gained 30 lbs on my squat, 20 lbs on my bench and 40 lbs on my deadlift, so I know I gained muscle and lost fat, but now I'm trying to do both, and let me tell you, that's one of the hardest things to do, but gaining muscle is worth it in the long run, you'll burn more fat because muscles need more food (and they eat fat for breakfast) :smile:
  • jcgator2016
    Options
    Yeah I noticed when I just lift 3-4 times a week, I don't hardly lose any weight. So I have to incorporate some kind of circuit training so I can lose weight and still lift somewhat. So now I'm confused whether I should drop the weight first then start lifting, or just lift and don't worry about how much I lose.

Thoughts?
  • mactigerr
    mactigerr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to participate in the daily posts!
  • AB0215
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yeah I noticed when I just lift 3-4 times a week, I don't hardly lose any weight. So I have to incorporate some kind of circuit training so I can lose weight and still lift somewhat. So now I'm confused whether I should drop the weight first then start lifting, or just lift and don't worry about how much I lose.

Thoughts?

@jcgator2016 I have a lot of thoughts, and experience, not sure how helpful it will all be depending on where you are in your lifting journey.

I went through a period of about 5-6 months where I intentionally pushed my limits with lifting, and I didn't lose any weight during this time, but I did gain muscle, which was obvious by how much more I was able to lift. Also, my clothes got a lot looser, muscle takes up less space than fat so, I knew I was losing fat and gaining muscle.

Having said that, these last 6 weeks, I have been lifting heavy, and still losing weight. The only things I've really been doing differently is OMAD and eating a bit less than I was before, by about 200 calories a day.

Now some things to think about here:
    1. The amount of time you've been lifting...in my case 2.5+ years, so I don't develop muscle the same way that a beginner does, beginner's develop muscle much faster, almost every single time a beginner lifts, he/she will build muscle
    2. Gender--men develop muscle much faster than women
    3. Age--this one is less important than the previous 2, but can have an effect too
    4. Food intake...this is a hard one to nail down because it relies heavily on trial and error, and for me, took like 6 months to figure out, not that everyone will have that same experience that I did.

So the point I'm trying to make, is that you might just be developing muscle quicker, and muscle is denser than fat, meaning you are likely losing inches faster than weight right now, and that's not a bad thing. It could also be that you're retaining a bit more water than normal because of that, also not a bad thing either, the water helps the healing process.

Now to really answer your question, this is a bit of a personal decision on how you proceed. I can tell you that it is possible to lose weight while lifting, I am doing it now. It's definitely a bit more difficult to balance your diet and lifting to lose weight while lifting, but entirely possible. You can also add in some other activities to help burn some extra calories, which is what I tend to do, that way I know I'm still at a deficit when I eat a little more to support my muscle growth. Another thing is you can vary the weight, lift heavy once per week and back off (lift a little lighter) the rest of the week, which will slow the muscle growth a bit, still maintain the muscle you've gained and should help you lose weight in the meantime. And personally, I LOVE circuits for calorie burn, they really help me to burn extra calories in a short amount of time. For some reason, I don't do well with straight cardio, I need to use my muscles or I don't really burn a lot of calories, and I know I do a lot of walking, but that's really to try to help with my endurance more so than burning calories.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but that is my experience.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    SLIMn2016 wrote: »

@SLIMn2016 I didn't lose weight for almost 6 months, but I gained so much muscle (which was my goal anyway) I gained 30 lbs on my squat, 20 lbs on my bench and 40 lbs on my deadlift, so I know I gained muscle and lost fat, but now I'm trying to do both, and let me tell you, that's one of the hardest things to do, but gaining muscle is worth it in the long run, you'll burn more fat because muscles need more food (and they eat fat for breakfast) :smile:

This!! I’ve been using heavier weights and a lot of resistance on my spin bike the last month. I’ve lost over an inch this week on waist and hips- but weight loss (scale number) is slow this week! Looking forward to more muscle though- it eats the calories!! ⚡️
  • AB0215
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »

This!! I’ve been using heavier weights and a lot of resistance on my spin bike the last month. I’ve lost over an inch this week on waist and hips- but weight loss (scale number) is slow this week! Looking forward to more muscle though- it eats the calories!! ⚡️

@mg07030 Exactly, that's really why it's so important to take measurements, you're making much healthier choices, and while technically this is a weight based challenge, there's SOOOOO much more to "weight loss" than weight loss...so to speak. It's so much healthier to have more muscle and have a leaner, stronger body, the scale will look like a jerk, but you are so much better for it! And Congrats, you're doing awesome!!
  • jcgator2016
    Options
    @AB2015, thanks for sharing. Plenty of good info.

I just have to figure it out.

• ekuassi
    ekuassi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ekuassi wrote: »

Thanks for the encouragement! I really really hope to stay motivated this time and not give up.
This discussion has been closed.