Milestones (other than the scale)

Options

Replies

• hollyla9905
    Options
    Wtg Malia and p1xy the state of our self worth greatly effects what we do!

So I got to chalk a NSV up this week: when I took my daughter to the doctor we parked on the 3rd level parking garage the elevator was so busy we took the stairs down ... Not that big of a deal down stairs is easy... After her appointment we took the stairs back up... And I didn't stop once to catch my breath... There was no tuning but there was steady walking... At the car I didn't even need to sit before driving away we just went! It makes me want to keep working out because I miss running up the stairs or down the stairs ... And I have a new goal... My husband and I are moving to a small town Next year and I want to get back onto the ambulance scene... I intend to re- certify and re-license and join a volunteer department! To do that I have to be in a bit better shape
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone! Some awesome NSVs in here!

Last night I was looking for a casual t-shirt to wear as I ran some errands. Having already rid my closet of all the 3xs, I thought I would have no problem. Huh.....my favorite "Silence is Golden, handcuffs are silver" t-shirt looks like a Mumu. OOOH! Maybe the t-shirt I bought at a concert will fit now! Wait...too big too? But but but I never even wore it because it was too small!

I finally put on the XL "trust me I'm a lawyer" t-shirt a friend bought me several years back. It fit nicely.

When you've been a 3x, wearing an XL is super exciting.

My other NSV was running into my favorite cop. I haven't seen him in 26 lbs. The sincere congratulations and the way he went out of his way to deliver an attagirl made my day.
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Awww Brookie that's so exciting!! I bet you feel amazing.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Congrats Brookie! Revel in XL land - soon that will be too large also :drinker:
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My sister and I joined a gym today. I never thought that I'd see the day that happened!

We're going tomorrow to 'investigate' a bit more, test some things out and all that jazz and we have promised each other that we will be at that gym at least 3 times a week.

I'm nervous and excited. I've never felt comfortable exercising in public, but I think it's time and I'm glad I'll have my sister by my side!
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Jess, that is awesome!! You will do great!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Ya for Brookie and Jesse :)
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Holly - Congrats on handling those stairs like a BOSS!

Brookie - Another satisfied closet-shopper! Nice work!

Jess - Your road to beast-woman has begun. Get some!

P1xy - Hooray for the shred and the "bounce"!
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It was cold last night(Monday, oct. 14) and when I went to take my walk I put on my hoodie and found it a little tight. I walked and when I got home I took off the hoodie and I found out it was my son's XL and not my 3xl hoodie. Now the hoodie is cut on the large side (T-shirts 2xl still a little tight) but still. Oh and on the walk I did a distance of 3.20 miles in 50:06 with a fast speed of 4.76 mph and an average speed of 3.8 mph for the whole walk.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    It was cold last night(Monday, oct. 14) and when I went to take my walk I put on my hoodie and found it a little tight. I walked and when I got home I took off the hoodie and I found out it was my son's XL and not my 3xl hoodie. Now the hoodie is cut on the large side (T-shirts 2xl still a little tight) but still. Oh and on the walk I did a distance of 3.20 miles in 50:06 with a fast speed of 4.76 mph and an average speed of 3.8 mph for the whole walk.

Great NSVs Russ! My son keeps telling me I can borrow his stuff when I finish the losses. Don't want to disappoint him (or myself!)

You continue to inspire me. Not enough to brave a pool yet, but still... ;-D
  • Canuname
    Options

just_jess7 said:

My sister and I joined a gym today. I never thought that I'd see the day that happened!

We're going tomorrow to 'investigate' a bit more, test some things out and all that jazz and we have promised each other that we will be at that gym at least 3 times a week.

I'm nervous and excited. I've never felt comfortable exercising in public, but I think it's time and I'm glad I'll have my sister by my side!

Congrats. That is a big step. Way to go!!!
    Make sure to take advantage of the person at
    The gym who shows you how to use the equipment.
    Some of it can really be tricky to try to
    Figure out on your own.

Great job.
  • Canuname
    Options

dward59 said:

Great NSVs Russ! My son keeps telling me I can borrow his stuff when I finish the losses. Don't want to disappoint him (or myself!)

You continue to inspire me. Not enough to brave a pool yet, but still... ;-D

Thanks Dan. You inspire me. You eat a lot healthier than I do and have lost a lot more than I have. Thanks for the great example.
    As for the pool, it was very difficult to start at first, but now it isn't that bad going. My problem is the land side of the gym.
    I feel really self conscious on that side. One of the problems with going to the gym alone.
  • Canuname
    Options
    808malia said:

This weekend I went hiking to some waterfalls with my husband. We do this hike to the waterfalls 5-6 times a year usually. And usually I am at the back of the group huffin and puffin up the hills like I'm dieing, well this weekend I was up at the front of the group and practically running up the hills with no problem! It feels great to be able to do things that use to be so exhausting. Makes me want to get out there and go on more hikes and explore all the adventures that I have been missing! I feel so inspired! :happy:

808malia
    That is so awesome. Good job. Getting fit and healthy feels so great. You are doing awesome. Way to go you rocked it!!!
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My problem is the land side of the gym.
    I feel really self conscious on that side. One of the problems with going to the gym alone.

Russ, if you ever feel intimidated going to the gym, just throw on a hoodie. NO ONE messes with the Guy In The Hoodie.

Oh, and for the ladies, not even the guy in the hoodie messes with the Woman In The Hoodie! :noway:
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Russ, you make me laugh.

Dan, have you had it happen yet where you try on something that you thought was too small, and it fits?

Jess, How did the gym go? Such a great way to melt it off!
  • dward59
    Options
    Dan, have you had it happen yet where you try on something that you thought was too small, and it fits?

Paula, even worse. (Or better? Odd ambiguity to this?) I've tried something on that I didn't think would fit, and it was actually too large. I wore it a few times anyway before it REALLY got too big! It is really odd dealing with some of this. I've had shirts in my closet that I wore maybe once before I inflated out of them. I really liked them and said, "Someday." So I hit the weights, the shirt fits, and six weeks later I have worn it a few times and I have a bitter sweet hard time letting it go.

Goodwill has been hitting the jackpot from my wife and I this year. We've slimmed down, and the closet has as well. I'd estimate 40% of what was in the closet is gone now, and we need to clear it out again. So far, I have only had to purchase one new pair of pants for work. That will be changing very soon. Here is hoping the sales rack has decent clothing, or I have better luck at Goodwill when I look there.
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest goals (milestones) was to be able to buy clothes in a "regular" not plus size store. I'm there for tops, but must say, I still question whether an XL will fit, only to find they do, and some are a little big. Non-scale milestones are so rewarding. BTW - I also love that I can tie my shoes and no longer look for slip on's. :-)
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Let the closet shopping commence! This weekend I was looking at my usual clothing chioces, But could'nt find what I wanted... So I thought to myself " Hey I wonder if any of my mini goal outfits are close to fitting?" So I started pulling out some of the clothes that were just a few sizes too small and started trying them on. To my surprise most of them fit! Shorts and skirts that I have never worn before now fit nicely! So I guess I have gone down a few sizes!!! I'm so excited to have more clothing choices. :bigsmile: Winning!
  • dward59
    Options
    Theresa and Malia, great wins both of you! I can't wait to fit in my smaller skirts, er, wait. never mind.

Seriously, I DO so look forward to being able to shop in a regular store again. I'm there for some shirts and sweats, but for pants I'm estimating another two sizes to have any selection.

Keep going ladies, you are rocking this program!
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many inspiring stories, congratulations to everyone! I had one today, I have had to use a seatbelt extender since I bought my car, and I've been noticing a fair bit of give in the belt, and so I thought, why not try, and sure enough... my seatbelt fits without the extender! :)
This discussion has been closed.