Options

Replies

• mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    @mikea2g
    Those kinds of issues are why I stopped using fitbit - and I am in no way saying ppl should stop using fitbit. It is a great tool, and you and others seem to get a benefit from it.
    But personally I found that things like that bothered me and had me not tracking calories properly. And that had me actually not losing weight anymore.

Anyway, I hope it continues to provide value for you.

@erikNJ
    It doesn’t really bother me. Just something to complain about. If it wasn’t that it would be something else :). Overall I’m loving the Fitbit, even with its overinflated calories (for me at least). I have a good idea what I’m burning based on average loss over last 5 months. So I just stick with that number to keep losing (theoretically) at a steady rate.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Mini Challenge
    1/8
    tracked: yes
    calories: yes,
    exercise: yes, 2hr physical project at work. Came home and did a kettlebell workout

Sun: no
    Mon: yes
    Tue: yes
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Mini Challenge
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Over by 300
    Exercise: no
  • mikea2g
    Options
    MINI CHALLENGE
    DATE: Tuesday, January 8, 2018
    Logged food: Yes
    Under calories: Yes
    Exercised: Yes - 2 hour slow pace walk. Kids had a field trip to some botanical gardens and we walked all around.
    Steps as of posting: 11,903
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,165 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    January 8 Tues
    Calories - ✅
    Tracking - ✅
    Exercise - ✅ (5k Run/Morning Walk/Treadmill/Yoga/Tai Chi)
    Steps - 19,297
    Water - 84oz
  • Nicoletime4me
    Nicoletime4me Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    January 7
    Tracking- yes
    Calories- yes
    Exercise- yes (1 mile walk)

January 8
    Tracking- yes
    Calories-- yes
    Exercise- yes ( walk away the pounds 1mile walk)
  • CCzMini
    CCzMini Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Weigh in-
    Last week 210
    This week 212

Hasn’t been a good couple weeks. I have been sick the past week, between holiday eating, no exercise & no tracking, the numbers are going in the wrong direction. Hope to start perking back up & getting back in to the swing of things.
  • heaz10
    heaz10 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1/8:
    Tracking: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes 30 min treadmill
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    I am going on Day #2 of eating at a deficit. Haven't gotten back into exercise yet, but I'll take the under calories as my small win of the day, for now!!

Great job you got this woot woot
  • PhatStax69
    PhatStax69 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just can't do this. ive gained 2.2 lbs since the start of this. Im thinking just eating what I want would be less calories than eating healthing all day and then bingeing. It has to be less calories since im gaining now. I feel like giving up, again.
  • mikea2g
    Options
    PhatStax69 wrote: »
    I just can't do this. ive gained 2.2 lbs since the start of this. Im thinking just eating what I want would be less calories than eating healthing all day and then bingeing. It has to be less calories since im gaining now. I feel like giving up, again.

Perseverance man! Think in terms of months, not weeks.

Also, are you logging accurately with eating healthy? Weighing everything? When I started weighing things it showed how off I was with cups of solids.

Next, why not eat what you want but in smaller amounts so you don’t binge? That’s what a lot of people on the forums say. Most of the time I like feeling full over having that “fix” of what I use to eat. You can get a lot more chicken than brownie for 200 calories. But i also have some brownie, just make it smaller and if it goes over calories, do some more exercise.

Simply put, you need to do the right things more than not over a longer period of time.

-Weigh and log food accurately
    -Eat at a deficit
    -Enjoy the foods you want, just control portions and make it fit in your daily calorie goal
    -Exercise when you can
    -Think in terms of months, not weeks
    -Find alternative rewards for specific small goals. (Food use to be my reward, now it’s other things. I got a Fitbit as a reward, new clothes, etc)
    -drink a ridiculous amount of water
    -be aware that if you binge you will gain a lot of water weight
    -be aware if you exercise hard (weight lifting) you can have water retention.

One last thing. I had a hard time losing weight many times. I use to think it was because of this or that special thing about me and my needs. I needed a special super restrictive diet because I’m an all or nothing type of person. I finally realized I’m not special and all the common advice actually applied to me. I finally realized I had to do all the little things mentioned above. And above all else I finally realized this journey was going to take a long time and be freaking difficult.

By the way, almost 6 months in and it’s still a challenge to make the right food choices. It’s a challenge I face everyday. I think a lot of people do.

Bottom line: stick to the fundamentals and give it time. Barring health conditions, if you eat less than you burn over a period of time, you will lose weight! You can do this!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    mikea2g wrote: »

Perseverance man! Think in terms of months, not weeks.

Also, are you logging accurately with eating healthy? Weighing everything? When I started weighing things it showed how off I was with cups of solids.

Next, why not eat what you want but in smaller amounts so you don’t binge? That’s what a lot of people on the forums say. Most of the time I like feeling full over having that “fix” of what I use to eat. You can get a lot more chicken than brownie for 200 calories. But i also have some brownie, just make it smaller and if it goes over calories, do some more exercise.

Simply put, you need to do the right things more than not over a longer period of time.

-Weigh and log food accurately
    -Eat at a deficit
    -Enjoy the foods you want, just control portions and make it fit in your daily calorie goal
    -Exercise when you can
    -Think in terms of months, not weeks
    -Find alternative rewards for specific small goals. (Food use to be my reward, now it’s other things. I got a Fitbit as a reward, new clothes, etc)
    -drink a ridiculous amount of water
    -be aware that if you binge you will gain a lot of water weight
    -be aware if you exercise hard (weight lifting) you can have water retention.

One last thing. I had a hard time losing weight many times. I use to think it was because of this or that special thing about me and my needs. I needed a special super restrictive diet because I’m an all or nothing type of person. I finally realized I’m not special and all the common advice actually applied to me. I finally realized I had to do all the little things mentioned above. And above all else I finally realized this journey was going to take a long time and be freaking difficult.

By the way, almost 6 months in and it’s still a challenge to make the right food choices. It’s a challenge I face everyday. I think a lot of people do.

Bottom line: stick to the fundamentals and give it time. Barring health conditions, if you eat less than you burn over a period of time, you will lose weight! You can do this!

This, simply put, is excellent, Mike!! Thank you for taking a moment to share your wisdom, which you have garnered over time. It is spot on, in my opinion.
  • HASWLRS
    Options

@PhatStax69, Hang in there, Keith! Mike has given you some excellent suggestions; I hope you find something in there that works for you.

I do have a question for you. Why is it you think you are bingeing? Is it because you are denying yourself certain foods, or is it because you are still feeling hungry at the end of the day? Making some foods taboo almost never works...you are better off to incorporate a smaller serving into your daily calorie goal, like Mike suggested. And if they are trigger foods for you, they probably shouldn't be in the house. But, if you are bingeing at night because you are still feeling hungry, you may need to make your daily deficit smaller. Yes, it would mean losing at a slower rate, but losing is better than gaining! And make sure you are drinking your water. It really does help to make you feel fuller so you never reach that ravenous point. But don't wait until you are ravenous to start drinking.....it won't cut it then!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    CCzMini wrote: »
    Weigh in-
    Last week 210
    This week 212

Hasn’t been a good couple weeks. I have been sick the past week, between holiday eating, no exercise & no tracking, the numbers are going in the wrong direction. Hope to start perking back up & getting back in to the swing of things.

Well, the timing of you getting sick is not great, to say the least! Do what you need to to start feeling better, so that you can go full steam ahead as soon as possible!!
  • pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Mini challenge 1/8:

Tracking - yes
    Under - yes
    Exercise - yes (30 minute walk with my dog since I couldn't get to the gym in the morning)
  • ITVGuy2000
    ITVGuy2000 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1/8/2019
    Tracking: yes
    Under: no
    Exercise: yes, walking
  • PhatStax69
    PhatStax69 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

@PhatStax69, Hang in there, Keith! Mike has given you some excellent suggestions; I hope you find something in there that works for you.

I do have a question for you. Why is it you think you are bingeing? Is it because you are denying yourself certain foods, or is it because you are still feeling hungry at the end of the day? Making some foods taboo almost never works...you are better off to incorporate a smaller serving into your daily calorie goal, like Mike suggested. And if they are trigger foods for you, they probably shouldn't be in the house. But, if you are bingeing at night because you are still feeling hungry, you may need to make your daily deficit smaller. Yes, it would mean losing at a slower rate, but losing is better than gaining! And make sure you are drinking your water. It really does help to make you feel fuller so you never reach that ravenous point. But don't wait until you are ravenous to start drinking.....it won't cut it then!!

Well after diner yesterday I was stuffed but I still wanted junkfood. I can eat a carton of ice cream or a whole pizza at a time, just stuff myself. yes I am trying to eat healthy foods so I am denying myself junk and fast food.
  • mikea2g
    Options

Well after diner yesterday I was stuffed but I still wanted junkfood. I can eat a carton of ice cream or a whole pizza at a time, just stuff myself. yes I am trying to eat healthy foods so I am denying myself junk and fast food.

I’m a big fan of self improvement articles, especially specific strategy ones. Something that is helping me is focusing on specific habits and small improvements. I’m linking an article to James clear below. He talks about the compounding effect of 1% improvements.

Maybe for you, 1% improvements would mean eating slightly less ice cream or pizza. Maybe it means backing off the restrictions, eat like you use to, and adding 1% healthier food every day.

Just have to find the strategy that works for you. Find your reason why. Build your positive habits.

Sometimes, when I’m craving hard at night, I pop a Tylenol pm and pass out rather than eat. For me, works great. I wake up feeling way better about myself for not bingeing and as an added bonus, I sleep a lot :).

https://jamesclear.com/marginal-gains
This discussion has been closed.