Options

Replies

• vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    I
    AB0215 wrote: »
    vicky2767 wrote: »

That gave me a chuckle. Thank you. I figured as such but better to have it cleared up. Since my husband and I are just starting I think we are going to stick to just trying to keep total gms under 100 for the day and Work from there. We were a little confused because we bought Atkins bars as an alternative for breakfast and package can be a little misleading. With it staying net carbs I think 2 or 3 gms where as in reality total carb was more like 23.

@vicky2767 I honestly only said that because I just went through all of that with my sister.

It's sort of why now I'm counting total carbs, I've learned that when I eat things like Quest barsm for example, which are like 20ish total carbs but like 4 net carbs, I tend to bloat and I think that my body is responding to the total amount of carbs or some ingredient in it, and at this point, I am steering clear of those and sticking with whole foods like my beloved broccoli and steak, so much love for steak and broccoli....

I am not a giant fan of Atkins products as their ingredients aren't super clean, but with that being said, I do like the SlimFast keto products better as they're actually focusing on more Keto friendly ingredients, but it's still a lot of the same with the net carbs, and something I'm currently avoiding. Hard as it is, I am trying to stick with my back to basics approach to get rid the last of my weight. BUT I am going to make myself some keto birthday cupcakes in a couple weeks, and have some keto friendly drinks for the special day, after all, I'm only turning 33 once....lol.
    Thank you. And yes you only turn 33 once. (To be that young again lol). As I was looking up lower carb option in adult beverages I found that vodka has no carbs. You can make yourself a “skinny *kitten*”. Vodka with some flavored sparkling water.
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    Happy Monday all!

Had friends over this weekend and made a Zucchini Lasagna which came out amazing!!! Here’s the link if you are interested: https://www.stuckonsweet.com/zucchini-lasaga/
    I did substitute the ground beef with ground turkey and I used whole milk ricotta instead of the skim.

That looks awesome, I'd probably swap a couple things to get the carb content down a bit more, but a great lower carb option than regular!
    It’s delicious. When I had it my sister in law made it with ground beef, but absolutely yummy.
    Thank you Cindy. I’ve been reading more labels. Would I subtract both soluble and insoluble fiber?

@vicky2767 Honestly, for the average person, I'm not sure it would matter...most resources don't specify, and most labels don't specify either. I wouldn't focus on that at this time, I'd spend more time focusing on carbs-fiber and see how your body responds. If that makes sense.

Going to start with focusing on total carb for now anyway. I’m doing this with my husband and we figured it’s a good starting point.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    kazunomiya wrote: »
    January 28
    Track yes
    Under yes
    Exercise 32 minutes of cardio workout

So I decided to try the 1 mile run workout today. So after doing a 1 mile walk workout, I tried it. Man that was a challenge but I did it! I ran! I totally wanted to give up halfway through but I pushed on. Yay! This gives me encouragement because I would like to one day work up to becoming a runner. I don't see myself doing it THIS year but I would like to work myself up to doing it next year.
    Great job!!! You should be very proud of yourself. 👏🏻 💥
    Jaydoh120 wrote: »
    Username : jaydoh120
    Week : January Week 5
    CW : 225

I think I was 223 last week so 2lbs up. I am not impressed.
    It’s a small gain. You’ll have that off in no time. Don’t get discouraged.
    catvlmack wrote: »
    Username: Catvlmack
    Weigh in week: Week 5
    Weigh in day: Tuesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 163.8
    Current Weight: 162.6

Really happy with that, yay!
    Nice loss.
    Daily Post: January 28th

Track: Yes
    Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: Yes, 63 minutes on the exercise bike - 14.7 miles

14.7 miles, wow. Go you!! Excellent job!

Ha ha....thanks. It wasn't entirely intentional. I accidentally turned off my exercise bike while I was working out and couldn't remember where I was in my workout. So I ended up going a few minutes longer. That tells me I can actually do a full 60 minute workout now. It was my goal to be up to 60 minutes by the end of January so that is one goal accomplished.

Still you should be very proud of yourself intentional or not. 👏🏻 💥
  • vicky2767
    Options
    My cold is still lingering. So still no exercise for me. But I’m finding that watching my carb intake it’s much easier to stay within my calorie goals even without exercising.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could stop eating processed food. I absolutely hate to cook and I'm not very good at it. Plus, I just don't have time for it. The good thing with getting old is that you don't have a problem with bloating like you do when you are young. Hopefully, the Quest bars don't cause me any problems because they are a tasty breakfast.
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My cold is still lingering. So still no exercise for me. But I’m finding that watching my carb intake it’s much easier to stay within my calorie goals even without exercising.

Watching carbs I’m finding that same thing!
  • vicky2767
    Options
    batgirl140 wrote: »

I was wondering if this could be causing the lingering.
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options

I don't think carbs would have anything to do with a cold lingering or not. That would have more to do with vitamins, getting enough green veggies, vitamin C, etc. In the past I used to get a cold every single time I went on a diet and I haven't yet on this one...but I take a multi-vitamin every day, vitamin D3, plus a vita fusion fiber+ extra stuff (can't remember the name).

I do agree that watching carbs helps keep you on track as far as calorie goals.

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could stop eating processed food. I absolutely hate to cook and I'm not very good at it. Plus, I just don't have time for it. The good thing with getting old is that you don't have a problem with bloating like you do when you are young. Hopefully, the Quest bars don't cause me any problems because they are a tasty breakfast.

@CindyJNC1963 It can be a challenge, but one thing you may want to consider is finding some super easy recipes and meal prepping, I tend to do things like cook roasts and briskets and things and pre-portion them out for during the week and this week I've been on a hard boiled egg kick, so that's been my breakfast. I like to make those (the meat and the eggs) in my instant pot. The shells slide off the eggs easy and the roast is super tender and tastes amazing. All super easy to do. If you're interested, I've got recipes.
  • AB0215
    Options

I actually get a lot less sick now that I've overhauled my nutrition, I 100% think it's because I pick better foods, more nutrient rich and less sugar/carbs.
    One thing research is starting to suggest is that viruses/illnesses feed off sugar (carbs) and eating a lower carb diet can help you fight infections faster, whether this is true or not, I'm not sure yet, but they're starting to research it more now that low carb diets are becoming more popular. I do know that they've used Keto to help treat cancer patients as cancer tends to feed off glucose and reducing your intake can have an effect, where that research goes, I'm interested to see.
    And on a side note, I might spend too much time on the computer reading medical journals.
  • batgirl140
    Options

@vicky2767 oh I was talking about watching the carb intake making it easier to stay under on calories. Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins in your food or taking a supplement. I just started taking my multi, B12 and D3.
  • vicky2767
    Options

@vicky2767 oh I was talking about watching the carb intake making it easier to stay under on calories. Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins in your food or taking a supplement. I just started taking my multi, B12 and D3.

Thanks.
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options

@CindyJNC1963 It can be a challenge, but one thing you may want to consider is finding some super easy recipes and meal prepping, I tend to do things like cook roasts and briskets and things and pre-portion them out for during the week and this week I've been on a hard boiled egg kick, so that's been my breakfast. I like to make those (the meat and the eggs) in my instant pot. The shells slide off the eggs easy and the roast is super tender and tastes amazing. All super easy to do. If you're interested, I've got recipes.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was raised by my grandparents and my grandmother hated cooking. As soon as ready made stuff came out, she was there. So, I never learned. I know nothing about seasonings, etc. I love the idea of meal prepping, but I am lazy on top of the idea of a stove being totally foreign to me. (a funny aside....I hired a housekeeper to help out after I started taking care of my Dad....she asked if I ever used the stove. I had to laugh.). I will think about it, but I will probably never give up processed stuff. I would like to be able to make stuff to take to work. I really dislike frozen dinners.

What is an instant pot? I love boiled eggs.

• i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Tuesday, January 29th

Calories: Yes, under
    Exercise: Yes, Strength Training class and stair climber (morning) & Rowing, Inclined Treadmill & Arc Trainer (evening with my son <3o:):) )
    Water: 189 oz.
  • AB0215
    edited January 2019
    Options

I know this sounds crazy, but I was raised by my grandparents and my grandmother hated cooking. As soon as ready made stuff came out, she was there. So, I never learned. I know nothing about seasonings, etc. I love the idea of meal prepping, but I am lazy on top of the idea of a stove being totally foreign to me. (a funny aside....I hired a housekeeper to help out after I started taking care of my Dad....she asked if I ever used the stove. I had to laugh.). I will think about it, but I will probably never give up processed stuff. I would like to be able to make stuff to take to work. I really dislike frozen dinners.

What is an instant pot? I love boiled eggs.
    @CindyJNC1963 An instant pot is an electric pressure cooker. It also doubles as a slower cooker, although I never use it that way. And to use one, you don't have to be a chef, actually it's quite the opposite, it's a great tool for people who don't like to cook or don't really know how to cook. My best friend who is cooking challenged makes 80% of the food he actually cooks in it and then just portions it into like bento boxes. Literally made a roast and my hands on time on the roast was about 5 minutes, and then I just measured it out and put it in the fridge in pre-portioned containers. Total investment in those meals around 15 minutes and had a few days worth of meals ready to grab and go.

The eggs in the instant pot, I usually make about 18 at a time, and I set my instant pot for 6 mins, wait 6 mins after it's done to release the pressure and put them in an ice bath for 6 mins (or until I remember it's been longer than 6 mins) and I peel them dry them and put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge, instant breakfast, or snack :smile:

Also, another thing I'm sort of in love with is my air fryer. I make so many things in there, chicken wings, chicken tenders, popcorn chicken...all homemade, none store bought--well with the exception of the wings. I keep a container or pre-made seasonings for the chicken tenders and get the chicken tenderloins and coat them in the seasonings and stick them in the air fryer 10 mins, done. popcorn chicken is the same process, I just chop up the chicken into cubes instead....and I do buy the wings, I get buffalo style from purdue, 3 wings is 1 carb, stick those in the air fryer 15 mins. I am working on a method of pre-cooking these and freezing them so I can just re-heat, but that hasn't panned out yet. Nothing is quite the same as the fresh versions, although, they don't take long to make. And while this might not be on the menu for a lot of people in here, I love my air fryer for brats...omg, they come out perfect every time. I make those for my hubby, since we're both keto and he of course gets to eat way more than me..so he gets brats and I just get to look at them.

And a side note--it doesn't really have to be an instant pot brand, any electric pressure cooker will work, you just want to make sure you can set the timer for any amount of time you want, I had a cheap one once that wouldn't let me set the time for less than 10 mins, and many foods cook in less than 10 mins so, that one wouldn't work. You can steam veggies in it too, literally takes less than 1 min (mins the time that it takes to come to pressure, which isn't too long).
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Daily post for tues Jan 29
    Tracked yes
    Calories over
    Exercise still no 🙁
  • batgirl140
    Options
    Daily check in Jan 29

Calories: Under
    Exercise: Yes. Did 30 minutes of cardio.

I’ve still been feeling dizzy so I thought today it might have something to do with my diet. I’m eating much healthier than I ever have but thought I might still be missing something. So I’ve starting taking my vitamins again. Hope maybe it helps.
  • Bm00re2u
    Bm00re2u Posts: 426 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Daily Post (Tuesday)

Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes

30 minutes of strength training completed early in the a.m.! My husband cooked dinner last night, so I had baked fish, steamed super greens, and rice to bring to work for lunch (YUM!).

I cooked spaghetti for dinner with whole wheat pasta, mushroom spaghetti sauce, and lots of veggies. I finely chopped the veggies as a way to get my kiddos to eat them.

My family and I are trying to make better food and exercise choices and create good habits for my kids while they are little♥️
  • Beckymomof3girls
    Beckymomof3girls Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Daily Post- Tuesday

Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise no

The baby has a double ear infection and between going to the doctor and swim lessons at two different times, I’m exhausted and didn’t have much free time today, so no exercise. I also didn’t log my food until just now (although I weighed portions throughout the day). I’m completely surprised I’m under my goal!
This discussion has been closed.