2019 - I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GIVE UP!! HERE WE GO!

Options

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    No cooler temps here yet. In fact we’re setting all kinds of record highs. Ugh. Fall weather will get here eventually....right?!

Snoozie, packing for unknown weather is the worst. All I can say is...layers! Make sure to take a rain jacket with a hood...that will doubly ensure that you don’t have rain. Hahaha! For Ireland I took short sleeves and a light cardigan and my rain jacket. That pretty much covered all my bases. As far as the photos...it was great having my daughter along in Europe because she loves to take photos. We were able to share that responsibility and ended up with plenty to document our trip. I’m sure you can do the same thing. You’re going with siblings or cousins? I can’t remember which.

Gail, what have you been doing to get the weight off? Any new approaches or strategies or just sticking with it? I know you’ll get to “onederland” soon!

My parents can be very frustrating but at least I still have them. I don’t think that will be the case for too very much longer. Mom is 86 and dad is turning 89 soon. It’s just hard to see them struggling when they have the money to be living in a better situation. They want to leave each of their children a small inheritance but we just want them to enjoy the years they have left.

Any news from your family yet, Milove?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Snooozie, I hope you have a wonderful time! I agree about not logging in. It will be an experience that you don't get very often, so make the most of it!

Well done on the weight loss, Gail! And the reappearing bones! Yes, it's always a struggle.

Suzy, I can't believe you go hiking in that heat! It always impresses me what you do anyway, but the heat makes it even more impressive! I've been having "foodforalls" too, and yes, I think stress definitely contributes. It's kind of self-medicating, I think.

I am having the work done on my house, so not online so much. It's going on longer than expected. I have been quite erratic with eating and exercise, but I have to stop using it as an excuse. Yesterday I was helping to clear scrub from a community orchard, and I am so sore today! Seems like it was a good workout. I used to do work like that years ago and take it in my stride, whereas now I'm exhausted after a couple of hours! But I spoiled the effect by catching a couple of hours of a food festival in town, so have been eating oysters, cheese, bread, wine, chocolate, etc. Today I just have so much to do, but will try to eat in a reasonable way!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Why, oh why does it always take longer for home repairs/improvements than they initially tell us? Every single time!! I always fall for it, too. They tell me $500 and three days and it ends up $2000 and two weeks! I hope the work on your house is done soon. It’s so incredibly disruptive to your routine. I’d be drinking the wine, too!

I’ve got to figure out a strategy for the stress eating. I know pre-planning helps and is crucial but then I slip into my little pity party and want pizza and wine. Then the foodforall starts. So... I guess it’s willpower and just knowing that I’m on shaky ground when I’m stressed. They sell these little four packs of tiny bottles of wine here. I was thinking about buying one of those and just drinking one little bottle when the stress hits but would I stop there? I don’t know.

Clearing scrub sounds like a huge workout to me! As soon as cooler weather hits I’m planning to till up my front garden and it’s pretty big. It’s going to be a big project. I just wish I was more talented in the gardening arts. 😂

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Well Suzy ...….. I stopped taking the Metformin, so that allowed me to start losing...every time I get off it for a while, I manage to lose...but as soon as I am on it...my weight doesn't budge. Now I am sure this is a disadvantage to my diabetes....but I figured I would lost the needed weight my doctor is always trying to get me to lose and then get back on it....if the diabetes doesn't kill me first...hope not.

I am pretty close to being under 200. One good poop(lol) and I believe I will make it. I just got back from the doctor and weighed 201 fully clothes with shoes on and no poop yet. ( let me apologize for my horrible humor. I hope no one is offended with my bathroom humor.) But it is real. : )

The A1C I just took let me know my way of eating IS killing me. It is at 11...maybe a .5 behind it, I kinda' zoned out. I knew it would be bad, but was hoping against hope it wouldn't be. So I am back to counting carbs. keeping them between 50 to a 100 a day. Getting my 60 -90 grams of protein with low carb veggies, laying off SUGAR & Breads . I only eat one main meal a day after 4:00 pm so that is what helped with the weight loss. I wake up at 11:00 and start getting ready for work so I don't do brekkie or lunch. I do some isometric exercises at night in bed to try and wind down to go to sleep. Hubby usually gets to bed around 3:00 or so. He is a night owl too. weird sleeping hours.

OH!!I forgot to tell you what helped me get so close to one-derland. (195.4 on the scale) yep, I took a picture of it in case I never make it..... I didn't claim it, I knew it was short lived..
    Hubbs and I have been sick with either this bad virus bug at the same time or I food poisoned us. Not sure which. but we were only a few hours between us when we got sick. 6lbs of fluid.( You know I had just weighed that day....and afterwards) leaving the station going North and South. We were praying that the bathroom door wasn't closed when we needed it. I never knew ribs could hurt so bad the next day. I really felt as if I had fractured them. They are better now. I can cough or sneeze without yelling.

Vail, We need some work done on our house so badly. I am waiting on $$ to appear from nowhere. and praying the DUCKTAPE don't rott!! If ducktape will fix it, it's fixed!! lol Hope it gets finished soon!!

Happy trip , Snoozie!! Be Safe, Be HAPPY , Have fun!

bye for now
    G
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Gail you crack me up! “One good poop,” hahaha! We’ve all been there and thought that! Balancing the medications and the weight and the diabetes must be so difficult and frustrating. Just be careful; I hope you get the results you’re shooting for and manage it all successfully. That virus sounds like no joke. I don’t think I’ve ever had one that bad. I hope you’re both fully recovered.

How’s the work on the house going, Vail? Are you back to normal yet?

Our temps are supposed to finally start going down starting this weekend. We’ve been setting new all time highs and it’s been miserable. I’m so ready for Fall!

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Yes, we seem to be doing better. We were pretty dehydrated for a while.

We , too , are having somewhat fall conditions. I love it. Fall and Spring are my favorites. But you know we rarely have too much of them ,it either goes straight into Winter or Summer.

I am trying to do a 30 day challenge by myself and so far I have had 2 thin Oreos and just now a 1/4 of a Pepperidge Farm chocolate chip pecan cookie( you know how thick they are) …..does that count as failing, do you think? Or it could be thought of as ramping down, and by the end I will be off them...Sounds like a good 12 step program to me.

Vail, hope all is going well with you and the house construction.

I know Snoozie is having a great time. Hoping so anyway.

Take care ,
    G
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! The cool fall weather is here today!!! I’m so happy!!! We went for our Saturday morning walk with our daughter and her husband and it was absolutely wonderful! I’m so psyched for some Fall hiking now!

Gail, I’m glad y’all are feeling better. That sounded pretty rough! I like the “ramping down” approach. Go with that one!

Can’t wait to hear about Snoozie’s trip!!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just got home - trip of a lifetime I had such an amazing time ! Will catch up on all the posts tomorrow need some sleep lol. But here’s one pic from when we were in Tuscany - my cousin and I went bicycle riding on a lovely trail one night and got rewarded with this gorgeous sunset !! ezdehnqegu6i.jpeg
    3fs7nvfzyfjj.jpeg
  • Vailara
    Options
    Wow, that's beautiful, Snooozie! I can't wait to hear all about it! Sleep well :)

Glad you're getting good hiking weather, Suzy! We've had a hotter than usual summer, and I'm quite enjoying the cool, wet weather at the moment!

Thanks for asking about the house - yes, all going well with some blips, kind of limbo at the moment as I'm not sure what they still have to do and everything's still packed away. I've injured my hand so am struggling to do the necessary furniture moving, cleaning, etc! Bad timing! Eating has gone out the window - your cookie episode has nothing on my indulgances recently. I've been eating ready meals because of the work on the house and the hand injury making cooking difficult, but I've also been comfort eating too. Amongst other things, I bought a box of chocolates to take into work, then just ate my way through them at home over a few days. I haven't been weighing either, but I can feel my clothes getting tighter even though I'm trying to deny it!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    OMG! That sunset was epic! Can’t wait to hear all about the trip!

Vail, I’m so sorry that you’re dealing with so much at one time. That never bodes well for healthy eating and weight loss. Hang in there and I really hope your hand is better soon. Give yourself a break...you’re dealing with a lot of stress.

• Vailara
    Options
    Thanks Suzy! My hand is getting better, and I can use it more now, so no more excuses not to cook - lol!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    hiya Hatters! Sorry i didn't post yesterday.. on the way to the flight home i came down with a cold.. my cousin woke up with it on our last day in Rome but thankfully was able to go out and about and at least mine didnt hit til we were on the way.. but lordy its a doozie ... which i know sounds pathetic since its just a cold but its been eons since i had one and combined with not sleeping since we got back.. blah!! But i am SO grateful it didnt happen til we were all coming home (and it was me and my sister, and my 2 cousins also sisters Suzy - our moms were sisters)

I've read through the posts in between blowing my nose; Suzy i hope you are finding ways to deal with your parents situation day by day .. it just sucks i know... glad to hear the cooler weather has finally arrived and you got out for a lovely hike!

Gail - i howled at your no poop weight.. of course we all know the importance of post poop weigh ins !! hahahaha. i'm so sorry your A1C results were what they were.. I know you can't handle the metfomin, but might you consider something else like the Janumet my doc has me on now instead of metformin doesnt have the same side effects (like the nasty diarrhea that often comes with metformin...) Just asking so you could maybe still protect your inside parts while you're working on getting the A1C back down again.. ? I feel like a complete wimp whining about my cold now after reading your virus. omg... honestly im always afraid im gonna give myself food poisoning with my cooking lol.. i hope you're all feeing better soon! and i am a hUGE duct tape fan myself... and now that it comes in several lovely colors? yup.. if duct tape can't fix it, it can't be fixed!!

Vail - i cannot even imagine the stress of having the repairs/renos going on and on.. and to have your hand messed up while tryign to move stuff? Being on my own as well i know it's a pain in the butt having to do things like that all by myself when everything works but with a wounded wing. hope you are feeling better soon!

• Snooozie
    Options
    So.. as far as my trip.. it was awesome.. I can honestly say it was the trip of a lifetime.. god bless my cousin for having done all the accomodation/train travel bookings for us - /italy was spectacular, loved every bit of it.. we landed in Venice, 2 days then up to Como for 2, then to Lucca in Tuscany for 4 days as a base to do day trips to Florence, Pisa, Valreggia (Mediterranean Sea) etc and then finished in Rome.. I achieved my goal of eating and drinking my way through our whole trip - never thot about calories or carbs or anything - and we walked almost everywhere.. and i think i actually lost a pound (but as it may also be because i've only had soup and water for the past 2 days, i'm not logging it haaaaaaaa). I did veg all day yesterday but only got about 2 hrs sleep last nite... i tried to walk at the lake this afternoon but honestly i didn't have the energy once i got there... so im cutting myself some slack for a few days and very comfortable with that.. i have a lot of laundry to do anyway lol.. but i was SO glad we only did carryon bags i must say... people say you need really good shoes for Italy because of all the walking? What they SHOULD tell people is.. take a pair of really comfy shoes you already have... strap a 10lb bag of potatos on your back and then find a staircase and run up and down 20 flights of stairs several times a day for several weeks before you go.. if your feet and back aren't sore, you're good to go!! lol I did struggle a WEE bit going into Venice as there are bridges every 10 feet with stairs going up and of course coming down and when you're lugging anything with you and you see another one coming up as soon as you come down the stairs from the last one? its a little bit daunting lolol... so we stopped for an aperol sprizter on the way and that got us through!!

I'm going to try to post a few pics - hopefully they won't be too big... and you can play "Where's Waldo" to try to find me on the Spanish steps pic :) I was bound and determined to make it to the top of the steps and i did so i was pretty proud of myself for that ha)..
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Arriving in Venice - needed to stop for a drink!
    nawofejjg582.jpg

Como

xkuy0ocs6oun.jpg
    j3wgkh1fzhcw.jpg

Bellagio

1i5ezw9a8hzi.jpg
    mu0kftqdiegm.jpg
    ql2k6gzhjcxp.jpg
    nbejrd2f7flv.jpg

1baaybp03mes.jpg
    3flkn58hsfwl.jpg

53vqcetajq5o.jpg
    334q67lohb6b.jpg

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Welcome home Snoozie! It sounds like a fantastic trip and great pics! What wonderful memories you’ll have forever. I’m so sorry you ended up with a cold but, like you said, better to have it on the way home! Definitely give yourself some recovery time. It’s amazing how much we can push ourselves while on vacation but not at home. Lol! Imagine dragging that carryon with you all over the place at home. We’d all be in much better shape! It sounds like you really lived in the moment and didn’t let much get in your way of enjoying everything Italian! Good for you!

• Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - its so true what you said; on vacay up and going every minute.. AND up and down a million stairs over bridges, onto boats, down to subways, and across cobblestones with suitcase in tow lol.. but once home? i use every excuse posisble for me to NOT do something.. i swear im gonna use my time in Italy as the "bar" to meet here - if my shoulder survived all that without going out on me, i have to stop babying it in weight class and everyday life.. and start walking a lot more places around here before the snow comes. I admit right now i'm dragging energy wise; not sure if its just the cold or that and a bit of jet lag, but as soon as i can go 30 seconds without blowing or coughing or sneezing i have got to crack on the moving part. So far no worries on the food as i've only had water soup and tea LOL.. with a stuffy nose you have no appetite; maybe thats the answer i've needed hahaha. but i know once i start wanting food again, its going to have to be constant vigilance and consistentcy to start losing weight again.. i honestly didnt' think about how much food or what i was eating while away, never thot "should i have this" or "omg" ... i truly never thot about it at all.. and several places we were at for dinner or wine tastings were arranged by our hosts at our Airbnb's for us... so we didn't even order we just ate whatever the local chef wanted to make us lol.. i did have the best pasta of my life at one place in Lucca; but that said of course, there is no bad food or bad wine anywhere in Italy lol.. i think the only thing that saved me from gaining anything was the amount of walking but i do have a doc apt at the end of the month for all my numbers - so weight aside it will be interesting to see how those turn out...

i should think of the stairwell in my building as the Spanish steps from now on maybe?? and go up all 20 flights every day?? hmmmmmmmmmm...
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    20 flights? Wow! Maybe make that the goal and work up to it but that would be great. I hope you’re feeling better soon!

I found out last night that my hubby has planned a trip for us to the North Georgia mountains next weekend and it’s NOT a hiking weekend! What?!?!! He reserved the room at a bed and breakfast place and has looked up wineries in the area. When I asked where we’re hiking he said he wasn’t planning it for that. Who is this man and what did he do with my husband?! Haha! We had a “discussion” a few weeks ago about how he never wants to do anything unless it’s hiking. I had come up with several ideas for Labor Day weekend and the only thing he wanted to do was hiking and it ticked me off. I told him that I would be absolutely shocked if he ever voluntarily came up with an idea that centered around something I have an interest in...like art, music, crafts, whatever. I can’t believe he actually listened. I’m planning on us doing some hiking though...it will help compensate for the wine and food..plus it’s beautiful weather right now. Then the weekend after that, we’re heading to Arkansas for what has become an annual hiking trip with his brother and sister.

• Snooozie
    Options
    wowsa Suz.. sounds like hubby was listening during that "discussion" a few weeks back - excellent!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes next weekend now!!!!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the photos, Snoozie! It looks amazing! It sounds like you had a great and very active time! I'm glad you didn't think about "dieting" when you were away. It's a once in a lifetime experience and Italian food is so good. I think that all the walking and hauling luggage around probably balanced it out. What a shame that you have a (European!) cold now, but at least it's now rather than during your trip, I suppose. I hope you're feeling better soon. It's so funny what you say about the exercise being automatic when you're away but finding any excuse when at home - that is so true!

Good news on the non-hiking trip, Suzy! I suppose your hubby took what you said on board, and has now made the decision himself - I bet he ends up enjoying the "break" to do other things! And you will still be doing hiking, so best of both worlds.

Thanks for the sympathy about my house. The work is almost finished - well, there is stuff that I have to arrange, and also a lot of stuff for me to do, so I have my work cut out for the next few weeks. I wish I was fully retired! My hand is improving a lot. I have been cleaning, scrubbing, etc., with my left hand and my shoulder has been aching but I'm thinking it's probably doing me good as I don't exercise that side enough.

I had my flu jab last week and have been feeling rough since, which hasn't helped. Don't know if it has anything to do with the flu jab, as I'd expect the side effects to have gone by now. Anyway, I'm continuing with my regime of no actual exercise, and eating what I feel like. It is not going well. Every day I think I'm going to do better, then end up eating too much yet again. I know it doesn't have to be like this and I'm my own worst enemy, lol! It hasn't helped that I stopped doing my daily weighing. As the scales have been a bit dodgy, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new set as a "bribe".
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - is it possible you might be doing a bit of "stress/emotional" eating due to everything going on right now - the renos, sore hand, etc?? I'm just asking cause i know for me that's a "thing".. i don;t necessarily realize at the time why i'm eating so much, til i look back and realize oh.. ya.. ok thats why. Im not sure if you've ever had issues with that kind of eating tho so perhaps not, but maybe cut yourself a little slack for the past little while no matter the reason..... and allow that for whatever reason you weren't feeling the motivation for the last little while, which is ok btw.. motivation is like a wave, it ebbs and flows... you could maybe just decide the ebb is over whenever (today, tomorrow, or whatever day coming up that might feel right with everything you have going on right now) .. and you may feel more inclined to catch the wave on it's return flow at that point... we all go thru these times, and its perfectly normal - just remember our weight is only one part of the beautiful people we are, the number on the scale doesnt define who we are at all, so take a day off from the weight aspect, just to remind yourself of all the other lovely bits that make up the wonderfulness of you (and i'll start you off with letting you know i love your sense of humour!)