2019 - I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GIVE UP!! HERE WE GO!

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that southern food sounds amazing! I think it's a great idea to have smaller portions rather than not eat it or order something different. I hope you have a lovely celebration.

I'm with you both on the exercise - yes, I think it encourages me to eat more, and no, I don't think it actually burns that many calories above what I normally burn. Definitely for health rather than weight loss - although they do say it's easier to lose weight if you're doing some exercise. I almost wonder if that's more about commitment and motivation, rather than the actual effects of the exericise? That people who stick with the exercise are more likely to stick with their weight loss plan too?
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Thats an interesting thought Vail on the comparison about sticking with one making sticking to the other easier.... i think both of you tho have hit the nail on the head (for me anyway) about having to switch my mindset about exercise; removing it completely from my weight loss goals and instead, counting it as "overall health benefit" instead... i'll definitely be working on that!

Suzy i was drooling over your dinner... sigh... i hope you all had a lovely celebration of your dads birthday and as vail said, that having a little something of everything you enjoy is a great plan!!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    So true, Vail. The people I know who have had success at weight loss and keeping it off all are regular exercisers. I think you’re onto something there.

Sadly, I didn’t do a very good job on my portion control. The fried okra and coleslaw were some of the best I’ve ever had. However, since we ate at 3:00 I only had two meals yesterday...didn’t eat dinner..just breakfast and late lunch. That’s gotta help, right? Lol.

The leaves are at their peak color in the mountains so we had a beautiful drive and then my hubby and I went back today for a hike. What a glorious weekend! I hope all of you had a great weekend as well!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Suzy, It definitely counts!! and I am with the others on the drooling over the menu! I would have been hurt if you had managed to not eat! lol Some things are not meant to be passed over.

I'm not a big believer in exercise being the end all for weight loss…. For me, it is more about eating less of the bad (being Carbs and Sugar!!) and more of the good (veggies and meats).... I feel you can eat all you want of those and have the weight fall off..... it takes a bit for your body to adjust, but when it does.....

I have started back walking the stairs. For strengthening my legs. I have lost a lot of muscle it seems , So I am trying to add protein drinks along with the strength training. I love being smaller, but not at the expense of my muscles. That will put me looking like 60 year old too quickly…... and not the 30 -35 year old my mind thinks we are...LOL

Keep warm, my friends, 20 degree weather is coming down here for a bit, so I figure it will pass your way too.
    Brrrrrrr…..
    by for now.
    G

• suzyqholland
    Options
    We’ve all been very quiet lately. 😂 I can only speak for myself but I’ve been feeling a bit tired of the whole dieting/logging thing. I sometimes just need a break from worrying about what I’m eating and how much I’m moving. I seriously have been dieting my entire adult life and every once in awhile it just gets old.

So, I had my time “off” and now I need to suck it up and work on my health again. Time to get serious for the holidays and try to end the year with a loss. I’m shooting for a total of 15 pound loss for the year. I need to update my ticker to reflect the last few weeks of apathy on my part. 15 pounds is a real stretch.

We’re going to my son’s house in Nashville for Thanksgiving and he’s practically a vegetarian and his girlfriend has him eating very very healthy so I don’t think it’s going to be your typical eat until you pass out Thanksgiving. So that’s good!

How’s everyone doing?
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hi guys.. sorry i have been MIA; my ex brother in law who lives here has decided to move home to the Isle of Man next month and has sold the house and has to get rid of everything in it as he's only going with 2 suitcases and the clothes on his back lol... anyway i feel really bad for him - (to clarify he was married to my sister for 15 yrs, they divorced and my sister moved to another province. Other than a text saying merry xmas or happy birthday he and i havent stayed in touch, but obviously he was a big part of our lives for many years. He's 62 now and is going back because he was laid off from his company of 25 yrs here in april - then about 3 weeks ago they called and said he was hired back; the next day they revoked the offer. So he's moving back to where he grew up and so i offered to help him try to sell all the stuff in the house with online buy/sell groups - its beyond his abilities but he has to get rid of everything or ditch it himself - and im sure you all know what a house/garage filled with 25 yrs of living is like... anyway i've been spending all my time trying to sell the stuff, and to be there at the house when ppl come so will prob not be around a lot for the next few weeks.. he flies out on dec 26th so we dont have that much time to do everything... a lot has already gone to the charity shops and we've sold some of the smaller things.. there are a few coming for a "walk thru" tomorrow so hopefully some of the bigger items will sell .. anyway TMI i know but there ya go.. and suzy.. i CAN totally relate to what you're saying about the diet thing... i swear to god im sick of thinking about it 24/7 myself... and of course my eating has been hit and miss with all this... but i do want to be down a bit before NYE as well.. i think for the next week at least my only focus is gonna be on trying to eat healthier options but my head needs a break from thinking about it 24/7 too...

i forgot your TG is coming up - actually i bet dinner will be great- i have one set of vegetarian freinds and frankly i love eating there because they make really good stuff lol none of the tofu crap hahahaha.... last time they did amazing pizzas for appys and all kinds of lovely veggies done differently - i'll be interested to hear if you enjoy yours!! (bt i know you'll enjoy seeing them even if you have to come home and make a turkey later lol )..

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Interesting that you’re doing the “everything must go” thing. I’m trying to figure out how to do that for my parents. It definitely is a ton of work. You are such a sweet person to be helping him.

Thanksgiving is in two weeks so hopefully I can get back to where I was before my weight crept up over vacation first. You’ve got your hands full Snoozie so just do the best you can and don’t stress on it. When I’m that busy I don’t eat as often, even if my choices aren’t that great. You’ll be moving more and lifting things so don’t worry about it.

I really am looking forward to seeing my son. It has been an entire year!!! He only lives four hours away but he travels with his job so much and he’s in the “young love” stage of his relationship so seeing mom and dad is low on his priorities list.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - if you end up selling anything in those buy and sell groups on FB or wherever, let me know.. i've learned a few things on the way that might help LOL.. so thrilled you are going to get to see your son... awww on the travelling and puppy love stage lol...
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    OMG!!! I still haven’t gotten my act together. What is wrong with me? Ugh! I need a volunteer to come here and kick my butt into gear! 😂
  • Vailara
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving when it comes to those who are celebrating it! Enjoy seeing your son, Suzy! That's so nice of you to help out your ex brother in law, Snoozie. What a sad situation for him.

I would be no good at butt-kicking, as I'm not doing at all well myself. I had a change of medication which didn't agree with me, so I must have lost a bit of weight, but then when it settled down I was so hungry and it felt like an excuse to eat even more! My son is living away but coming back often because his girlfriend is temporarily in our city, so I never know where I am with cooking meals - no excuse I know. I still managed to eat a family size pack of crisps all on my own, over the course of a day. This is always my trouble. I don't tend to overeat all at once, but if I spread it out over the day, I can get a lot in! Hence using fasting or restricting to mealtimes in the past. I know that works well for me, but can't seem to get my act together to do it.

Excercise wise, I'm trying to get out for walks on my days off work, and using an exercise app on my phone - it givse me reminders and exercises so I don't have to think.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - you KNOW i can completely relate to the entire family size pack of "crisps" eating - been there done that so many times .. sigh... i swear its the time of year thats messing us all up!!! im sorry your new meds caused such an ick for ya - i cant even imagine how you deal with never knowing if youre cooking for 2 or not... i have enuf trubble cooking for one!

i have lost 4 lbs this week.. but it isnt from anything i did.. just all the running around with all the selling i'm not eating period.. or grabbing CRAP when i do.... but today is the last day for a bit; we're going to take a break as most of the large heavy items have sold thank goodness.. my goal was to make him $2500 and i think we're gonna do it if all 6 sales show up today!! im exhausted tho... physically and mentally from dealing with some of the nut jobs online.. AND WHILE i realize it's part of the game.. the "no shows" drive me insane.. we wait around and wait around and nothing.. no message or text or anything... just nothing.. you can't take 10 seconds to send a text saying changed my mind wont be coming? arghhh lol i can handle the people who want something for nothing and the lovely people who show up and take it away are great.. but the no shows.. i have NOT been able to have any wine for 2 weeks now because i'm afraid of what i might type in a message to the twits if i have a glass or two!! so the week off will be good.. for both of us.. anyway i'm off up there again today for the pickups - ad if all goes well i'll be done by 3pm and can come home and make a real dinner with a vegetable for a change... who knew the day would come when i craved a veggie??

Hang in there ladies... we're doing the best we can right now all around - and sometimes that just has to be good enuf and be ok with it.. cause everyone needs a break from everything now and then!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    OMgoodness, I can relate , Snoozie. All the waiting for nothing....I would need a whole bottle after that!! . I hope he realized what a good sister-n-law you were all along. I know he knows now, for sure, cuz' not just anyone would go through all that. You are a good one, my friend.

Who knew that after a lot of junk type fast food , we would crave something green. lol I have been wanting a really good salad, but we don't have anywhere near me that does that. most have that little soft, fluffy ,baby type spring greens. I want one with some romaine, spinach, iceberg ...gotta' have some crunch!! I never have good luck when I buy the ingredients...it always seems to wilt on me before I can get around to making one.

Vail, I do exactly the same thing....eating a large portion over the day, but I look at like I am doing my stomach a favor....not so much to digest at once....lol

Suzy, I always feel that way with the dieting....many times I have dropped off mfp to just eat whatever I wanted, without actually giving up completely. I think life is too short to always have to worry about the weight. as long as we are healthy. If it hadn't been for the work schedule change and stopping the metformin, I would have never lost any of this weight. I still eat horribly, but I am going to try and not put it back on, like I usually do.
    I know you are so excited to see your son. I know it will be fun!

Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for all my virtual friends!!
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Gail - i had to laugh at your wanting romaine - i grabbed a salad at my grocery store and was sick as a dog for a couple of days - then got a notice saying i had bought a product with romaine and it was all being recalled due to ecoli... i'm done with romaine for a while now lo

i've been MIA just because of the constant work with the sales for my BIL - I AM SO not used to being tied to my phone or my puter 24/7 .. and for some weird reason most people seem to send inquiries between 10pm and 1am.. ???? i guess maybe its cause the kids are all in bed by then but a lot of late nights.. but we've done well just a few of the big items in the basement we are hoping will sell REAL CHEAP .. so they take em out lol.

i am still down a couple of pounds but most of that was from the tummy ick... im just trying to not put it back on tho and for now that will have to do..

Vail are the renos finished on your place yet i keep forgetting to ask and how's the hand?
    Suzy i think your TG is coming up (and you Gail) so if i dont talk to u before hope you all have a lovely celebartion with your families!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Oh, yeah...you have to be careful. Do you wash your lettuce...... even if it says triple washed? I do ...that may have helped me. I also put vinegar in the bowl of water that I am rinsing it in.

Thanks, we had a small gathering of just me, hubby, mom-n-law. Yes, we got her at our house. We have to put her on the couch, though, cuz' her walker won't fit through the bedroom door . I have some furniture that fits too closely to the door and it won't fit too through. She gets around fine though without it. Hubby found her in the kitchen when she thought no one was up. No walker in sight!! lol She was looking at the pills on top of the microwave. I think she was looking to see if we had any pain pills. She says she has a headache every day. She is used to taking pain pills everyday and thinks she can't do without it...tooo sad.

Working today for support. Not sure in support of who....I haven't seen a soul here except the guards. but it's double pay so.... HEY!! I"M IN!! lol

Be good.
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    0n732qvy2hjp.jpeg
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Another day of support....only two other people in sight... just a half day though.

Managed to clean off the junk table(aka. kitchen table) last night. I try to put some pretty Christmas plates and dress it up to keep us (mainly me) from laying a bunch of junk on it as we come in the house. It works for a while, then I notice there will be stuff laying in the plates and in the bowls.....ay ya ya...I'm a mess. I WAS TRYING TO CLEAN OUT SOME KITCHEN DRAWERS TO PUT THE STUFF THAT HAD BEEN PILED UP ON THE KITCHEN TABLE FOR MONTHS....(oops!! not yelling just too lazy to go back and retype it... I was going through the drawer stuff that hadn't been touched in couple of years like it was going to be missed if I just threw it away....
    I need help! lol Some people have commitment issues, I have letting go issues : )

I finished my protein drink for breakfast, got in some strength exercises, walked the 4 flights of stairs 3 times , did a little bit of leg presses.....now I'm ready to leave here at 12:30 and get a greasy double cheeseburger.....lol

I hope you managed to get some rest, Snoozie.

Vail, I hope you are doing better with the medicine change.

Suzy, I know you are enjoying your family time.

Be good to yourselves.
    G
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Hello Hatters! Just catching up on the posts. Snoozie, are you done now with all the selling? What a blessing you were to your b-i-l. When I even think about selling all my folk’s stuff I get so overwhelmed. It sounds like a ton of work and frustration. I’m so sorry you got sick from the romaine lettuce. I saw a meme online about “romaine can kill you and chocolate is good for you? I’ve been training my whole life for this moment.” 😂 Sounds about right! I hope you’re feeling better.

Gail, sorry you’re having to work but the extra pay is always welcome, I’m sure. Especially around Christmas! Our kitchen table is definitely a junk collection site. I hate it but I’ve fought it for years and I finally just gave in. I’m usually too quick to throw stuff out. I throw something away and a couple weeks later end up needing it. Never fails.

Vail, I never used to eat chips but I found myself finishing off my husband’s half empty family sized bag the other day. I have no idea what came over me.

Thanksgiving was absolutely wonderful. My son and his girlfriend went above and beyond. We ate well but pretty healthy, we went out and walked, played board games...it was a really nice visit. My daughter and her husband stayed at a hotel, which ended up being a good idea because she was able to go and rest when she wasn’t feeling well (still having “morning” sickness).

There’s no way I’m meeting my 15 pound loss goal for the year. Oh well, I’ll do the best I can.
  • Vailara
    Options
    The major work on my house is finished - still have some other stuff to arrange. Everything is now back in the house in boxes, but I can't remember where it all went, and trying to use it as an opportunity to declutter as well! I've got used to the new medication, thanks, Gail! I definitely have major letting go issues. I find it really difficult. I also tend to put stuff on the table as I come in!

I've heard that lettuce is one of the worst things for food poisoning. I tend not to have anything salady when I eat out for that reason! I never feel I can wash it properly at home either, but I sometimes feel a bit safer with the inner leaves. I just rinse them under running water, but great idea about the vinegar!

Weight wise, I don't even want to say .... the new scales have been playing up and I'm a bit frustrated with them. And after the medication change I had no appetite, then since I've got it back I've just been eating mindlessly. I really need to stop as I can see the effect on my weight charts. I think it might be the winter as well - I just want to eat and sleep!

I've found an over 55s dance class nearby, though - walking distance, so I can walk there for a bit of extra exercise! (In fact I probably need to as the parking is so expensive there). I'm not sure I can afford it, but it's pay as you go, so I will try it out. There's a ballet class and a tap class. It sounds so much more fun than the gym (which I still haven't been back to)! There is a class tomorrow, and I'm thinking of going. I'll let you know how I get on!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Nice! I wish we had something like that here. I love to dance...to my own beat. My husband says (with all the love in the world) that I am like dancing with a 2 x 4(STIFF) hahaha My problem Is I can't follow to save my life. I freeze up. But give me a bit of lubrication....maybe a few margaritas and I am a dancing queen(in my own mind!! hahaha.
  • Vailara
    Options
    Lubrication definitely helps! I wasn't a bad dancer in my youth. I even like to say I did a tiny bit "professionally" (i.e. I got paid a few quid) in my teens. But I don't know if it's age or lack of practice, but I'm absolutely terrible now! My "social dancing" hasn't moved on since the '80s. I don't even know what you're supposed to do now when you get up and dance. I can't follow either, I can't seem to learn steps, can't pirouette, etc. etc. But it's still more fun than the gym, hopefully!