2019 - I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GIVE UP!! HERE WE GO!

Options

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Sorry been MIA - still working on the selling but we have decided this sat is the end.. whatever isnt gone we're done... but im fine with that as i'm very pleased with the sales; we will def make the $3K and have the last pickups for Sat..all that will be left are the big few furnitures inthe bsement (cant even give them away for free lol) and the few things he wants to keep til the closing on the house like the TV and the vaccuum.. i can bring those here tho and sell from my place and just send him the $ later.. i'm getting smarter as i go tho LOL.. like how to sift thru the freaks bahaha.. but i'm pretty sure now i will NOT be considering online sales as a retirement plan!

Suzy - there ARE groups like MaxSold who will come in and take pictures of everything and sort it into lots and put it up for auction bids online for you with something like your parents house.. I had my BIL call then tho.. and it's about $400-700 just to list with them, then they take 30% of the sales as well.. but they do it all and set the times and dates for pickups and deal with all that and collection the $$.. so in our case it wasnt worth it.. we wouldnt have made anything lol But it is an option for people who are in different circumstances of course!
    I have to say tho.. the winner of the worst customer we had? Was a lady who bought a patio set.. big table, 4 chairs, umbrella and stand.. (it was only $35 so a great deal)... she was told repeatedly to bring help and make sure would be able to take it..) she showed up in a honda accord... ????? and was surprised to discover the entire set wouldnt fit in her little car..
    omg.... lol so they took the umbrella only and came back with a truck later.. yeesh! But it gave us a good laugh (cause we got the $ before she left with the brolly!!)

But in truth it's been a good project for me too.. i was a little worried about being retired thru the winter - whether i'd be bored and become a couch potato.. so this has kept me busy and occupied at least.. so its a win for both of us really

Gail i actually laughed out loud at the picture in my head of your kitchen table! I hope you managed to get your pretty xmas stuff on it eventually!!

Vail - i really hope you decide to try that dance class and really wanna hear how it goes!!! i have all the grace of a ruptured gazelle... seriously i have never been able to dance at all.. i even tried a Zumba class and almost crushed the girl beside me going the wrong way.. I just have no inate abilitites that way - so thank god for pickleball for me lol... but i absolutely think doing something you enjoy to keep moving?? is great for those of us who are not partial at all to the gym.. which would be me... i just hate it and find no joy.. so i'm really looking forward to hearing if you go! Wow thats so cool you were a dancer - im actually jealous of anyone who can dance so the fact u were a "pro" is way cool

Suzy - also forgot above to say so glad you had such a lovely time with the kids!! We used to play board games all the time in our family .. as adults too i mean.. I know they are vegetarians so interested to hear what some of the meals were?? i think i've mentioned before a friend who is veggie also and loved all the meals i've had there..

i weighed in this mornign and have had a small loss... mainly from not having anything in the house and being too lazy to go get some mucnhies lol.. i went back and checked my wieght on Dec 31st last year.. and right now i am 2 lbs down from that... so i HAVE to keep it off now because i dont wanna end this year at the same weight i ended it last year! i'd like to lose anotehr 2-3 lbs before NYE but honestly that's not likely .. but i do wanna keep these 2ish lbs gone if i can help it lol.

Ok i think i've babbled quite enough today.. i have a down day today and tomorrow so gonna try to clean this pit a bit... but first put my feet up and chill for an hour with a book and a good coffee.. !!

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I love to dance and married a man who hates to dance. How did that happen?! There’s an exercise dance class at the Y called “dance party” that I’ve been thinking about trying. Unfortunately, all I’ve done is think about going back to the Y. Something always comes up that I can use as an excuse. Vail, if you’ll try your dance class, I’ll try mine. Deal? I took dance for a few years as a teen and taught the little kids class a couple years. I do enjoy it. Not sure I know what I’m doing anymore but I live by the “dance like nobody’s watching” motto.

My son isn’t necessarily a vegetarian but it’s close. He ended up grilling steak and chicken for us and salmon for them and whoever else wanted it. They didn’t overdo the food, which was refreshing. It was more about the people than the food.

Getting started on Christmas stuff, finally. Putting up the tree tomorrow and have bought a few gifts. So much more to do!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Ohhhhh a dance class challenge in the hatters! Stay tuned folks? Will vail accept? Will Suzy dance like no ones watching? Can’t wait to hear what happens !!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    😂
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been to the dance class, so it's your turn now, Suzy! Lol! I feel the same about the gym, still have a membership going, but dance is so much more fun. Unfortunately more expensive. I did both of the over 55s classes that were on, tap and ballet. I enjoyed the ballet more, so have bought the shoes for that. Unfortunately can't go back next week because I'm working. But I do have to go back because I've bought the shoes, lol!

It made such a difference that it was over 55s! Talking to the other women, it seemed that most of them had wanted to do it as children but didn't get the chance, so this was their very first time! My only complaint is that I didn't feel there was a lot of instruction. We were shown the moves and copied them, but I'm used to being corrected with ballet, as don't know what I'm doing wrong and don't know how to improve. Also there were no mirrors, which didn't help. It's a drop-in class so maybe there was a lot more instruction on other days.

Anyway, I found out that a proper big ballet company in my area also does classes for over 55s. Unfortunately on the same day! It's funny because I thought it was much too far to go for a class, but I checked the map and it's 25 miles, which I know in the US/Canada is not considered a huge distance! So I'm considering trying that one too, just to see what it's like, and see if there's more instruction. It's probably too far to go regularly, but maybe just one class to see and then maybe now and then.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing what your class is like, Suzy! Is it for older people, or just a "normal" class? I hope it's fun. It's great that you danced and taught in the past. I've a friend who previously did dance previously, and she has gone back and ended up getting "addicted" and sitting the exams! I'm really impressed by her!
    I felt at my class that it helped me to have that little bit of background, even though I can't do what I used to do by any means! But just some of the moves felt familiar. I hope your one is fun!

You have my sympathies with shifting the stuff, Snoozie. I've tried to get rid of stuff for free, and it's a nightmare - lots of people want it and then don't turn up, or don't read the description, or whatever, and it ends up being so much work. Although, I suppose, as you say, you haven't had to worry about getting bored while retired!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Good for you, Vail! I was never a ballet dancer. I took modern, tap and jazz. The class at the Y is for all ages but it’s mostly people our age and older, there are a few in their 40’s I think. It’s more of a “move to the music” type class. I will plan on going Monday and see what it’s all about. We may be going to the mountains tomorrow to spend the night and do a long hike on Sunday. Probably get some Christmas shopping done tomorrow. We haven’t hiked in awhile.

ssnp5z7542gx.jpeg
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Couldn’t remember if someone had shared that meme yet. It’s worth repeating. Lol!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Lol! Oh how I hate that realisation that clothes are getting tighter. And the dilemma over whether to buy a size up just so you can look decent, or to refuse to in the hope that the tight clothes will be a reminder not to eat! Going for the latter option at the moment, but a bit worried that my trousers are going to burst!

Really need to get on track .... I did fine yesterday, then started snacking just before bed. I used to go to bed early sometimes to avoid that very situation and I might have to go back to that!
  • Vailara
    Options
    I'm trying to make a plan and thinking of going back to this: http://www.nosdiet.com/ . (Basically "no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except on S days. S days = Saturdays, Sundays, Sick days and Special days). It's how I started my weight loss years ago, and it worked very well. I think now that I am lighter I might have to be more restrictive, but I know a friend about my age and lighter who found it worked for her when she was creeping up to the "overweight" range. The only reason I stopped, if I remember, was that I was watching somebody's videos who did it and also calorie counted, and so I decided to start calorie counting too. And then the calories became the focus and instead of just eating at meals, I'd save them up so I could eat more in the evening.

Sweet stuff didn't used to be a problem for me, but now it is. Slimming World, which I tried recently, does seem to encourage sweeter foods (they're big on sweeteners), and now I've got in the habit of eating sweet things again - nobody needs that much sugar. So No S will keep it under control. This is my plan as of this minute ... I don't know how it will work, but all it probably needs is for me to try to stick to it! I no longer eat breakfast (after doing intermittent fasting and getting out of the habit!). I need some excuse to avoid all the sweet stuff at work, and just a rule like no sweet stuff during week days might help!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Anyway, I hope you have a lovely hike tomorrow, Suzy! Are you still involved with that hiking group? Let us know what the class is like. I think your background (modern, tap, jazz) will probably better for the class. It's great that there's a mix of ages! I liked the over 55s class because it was nice being with other people in the same age group, but I actually did really enjoy the adult dance class I used to go to where they were mainly teens and twenties! I can't wait to hear how it goes!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Okay, so I didn’t make it to the dance class on Monday. After our l-o-n-g hike on Sunday, my legs (and knees) were so sore. I’ve been trying to get ready for Christmas. My tree is up and lit but not decorated. Most gifts are bought or ordered but not wrapped. In a surprise twist...my son and his girlfriend are going to be here for Christmas! He flies in from Australia on Christmas Eve, she will drive down that day then they leave on the 26th.

On a sad note, my mom’s kidneys are failing. She’s going for a biopsy next Wednesday to find out if it’s an autoimmune disease or just failure. Neither one is good for an 86 year old in poor health.

Meanwhile, I’m eating pretty much what I want but trying not to make completely terrible choices. I’m still going to try the dance class, just have to figure out when. Have you gone back, Vail? Snoozie, have you been able to fit in some pickle ball? (By the way, pickle ball was an answer on Jeopardy the other day and I knew it, thanks to you!) What’s new with you, Gail?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi, Suzy! Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope it works out that it's fixable if that's possible.
    Probably for the best that you rest yourself before trying a dance class. That way you will enjoy it so much more.

Vail, I too am fighting a sugar demon, now that I am older. In my younger years it was always real food as I call and god homemade food especially the kind you get at family reunions. I hardly ever made it past the chicken and dumplings. I could get cake anytime , but not granny's dumplings. lol

Snoozie, I hope you are resting up after your "house selling stuff' . I'm sure there is a grown-up word for it, but it doesn't come to mind right now.

I am working , trying to yet again fight off this seasonal allergy stuff. Every year I say I am not working during this and every time I am here trying to make it through and be productive.

Funny story, I had to keep my youngest G-baby these last two days. She had been sick with RSV. She turns a year old on the 18th. but anyway, with this clear runny nose of mine that drip drops without warning, if I want to get anything done, I have to roll up little pieces of tissue nose plugs and put it in my nostrils and then cover that with a dr's type mask , they give you at the doctors office sometimes. Well anyway, her Pop Pop was feeding her pieces of Hawaiian bread rolls...she LOVES!! them. who doesn't? lol So while they were busy doing that, her eating little pieces of pulled off rolls.....looking about the size of my tissue nose plugs, which I was putting in when Pops said, "I think she thinks you just put some roll in your nose! " Her little eyes were wide open , like how could you, Mimi? It was priceless to see her expression. Oh my I wish I could bottle her and keep her just this precious...

• Snooozie
    Options
    hi guys - just a quick note as its after midnite and im a tired puppy - had a week off from sales but tontie the last push it on.. i think i put up 15 ads but the only pickup date for everything is next week before the closing on the house.. enough with people coming willy nilly lol... and whatever doesnt sell the junk removal will take on the 19th.. so all good.. and the week off was nice.. next week will be crazy busy with the car sales and final pickups and stuff but its all good... i wont know what to do with myself when all thsi is over actually lol..

havent been to pickleball as i had a very sore foot for a few days, but all recovered now so perhaps tomororw - next week is the last one before it closes til january ..boo... suzy i'm glad you got the jeopardy question - too bad you didnt get the $$ to go with it !

How lovely your son and dil will be with u for christmas suzy!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's kidneys.. please keep us updated on how she is doing.. hope the knees and feet are feeling better now after the big hike...

Gail - i choked on my tea reading sbout the nose plugs lol.. i supsect that story will be told over the coming years over and and over again!

ive done my christmas shoping because its only my sister lol.. and i had to mail that out last week to get there in time... but i mailed it to my cousins place where she will be having Xmas dinner ... so she can't open it til Christmas day.. she has a habit of peeking ha..

Vail hope all is well in your corner of the world too... will check in on the weekend again! hugs all around
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Whew! just reading it all had me tired, Snoozie! lol You have done such a fabulous job helping your BnL. You ever think this may be your after retirement job? Just kidding...; ) I know he is so appreciative . What does your sister think about it. was it an amicable split?

Hey, those plugs work just great if you have the type of clear drainage that just continually pours out your nostrils....not the sick yellow kind...ugh! no! I can't be the only one with this type of allergy dripp-age….I may have to get a patent on it! lol but you have to wear a mask over it.....It is not a pretty sight.

• Snooozie
    Options
    Gail -my sister and her ex are amicable now -probably helps they live 3000 miles away from each other but he stayed with her last summer when he was travelling thru the maritimes and I absolutely checked with my sister before offering to help him out !! Would not have offered if I hadn’t had her blessing first believe me !

Your allergy sound terrible. Can you not take some pills or shots to bring you some relief ??? Do u know what it is u r allergic to ? I feel terrible you have to suffer like that !
  • Vailara
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your mom, Suzy. I hope you get some useful answers from the biopsy, and that it can be kept under control. Enjoy having your son and his girlfriend for Christmas. That will be lovely!

Gail, it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your little grandbaby! I bet she is loving having all that attention.

Snoozie, well done on getting Christmas sorted! I bet it will be nice to be finished with all the selling for your brother in law. That sounds like a huge amount of work. But I'm sure it will be such a weight off his mind to have that finished for Christmas.

I haven't been back to the dance class as I was at work, but hoping to go next week, or at least after New Year when it starts up again. I have a couple of friends interested in going too. I will have to go back because I've splashed out on tap shoes too. I was talking to a friend who dances, and she said told me that tap dancing has benefits for bone health in older women, so I decided it was worth the cost. Unfortunately, I have awkward feet to fit, and ended up having to get a pair which were twice the price of the usual ones! So I have to commit to doing it now! And I've already bought the ballet shoes, so I'm doing both!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i did get a laugh at you saying because you bought the shoes you HAVE to go now.. i used the same mentality about the 2 classes i signed up for starting in jan.. i paid for em so i gotta go!! im actually looking forward to the stretch class most... i am taking the strength training one again too, but i find it very hard to get down on the mat for that one..and even harder getting back up! the stretch one is kinda the same using i think bands instead of weights but there is no floor work.. so crossing my fingers! i love that you are going to do something you enjoy for exercise tho.. like my pickleball .. its fun and it gets me moving and i swear at this stage of the game, its all about finding things you enjoy that make you move - from gardening to hiking or dance or whatever floats your boat, i think we tend to do more if we enjoy it rather than "having" to do something..

This week has to be the last one cause my BIL is moving back to the Isle of Man the day after Christmas lol... and the more we can get rid of now the less he will have to pay the junk removal guys to take it away lol.. so we are slashing prices this week!! We finally got rid of a tall bureau last nite - that thing had become the bane of my existence.. i swear i sold it at least 15 times... and every time the people either backed out or just didnt show up lol. we were seriuosly considering dumping some gas on it and setting it on fire hahah.. (ok not really just gonna put it curbside in hopes someone would take it away in the end!) But we made an exception for a guy last nite because he couldnt come next wed which is the one day we set for all the pickups.. because his wife is having their baby on tues LOL.. so we let him come last nite and because he actually showed up AND took the damn thing away, we gave him a discount LOL.. but i've got some good sales lined up for next week on the final things so if they all pan out, it'll be gravy.. so i am a happy camper! PLUS i just got an email that they are having drop in hours over the holidays for pickleball!! I havent been more than once or twice in the past few weeks and next week is crazy busy... so i was thinking i couldnt get any in til after the new year cause they are normally closed til around jan 6th.. but i might be able to get a few games in to burn off my turkey i plan on doing for myself LOL!!

OK I BETTER get my butt in gear.. have a show again at the LAC tonite its a kids play which is always enjoyable, but my place is a total pit right now with stuff scattered everywhere as i brot some of the smaller stuff like dishes and platters and things here to sell... im having to pick my way around most of it so gonna spend the day lugging everything to one room and keeping it there~ or thats the plan.. but i'm still in my pajamas.. soooooooo we will see!!
    Have a great weekend all
  • Vailara
    Options
    Wow, the end of the year is coming round pretty fast! And I'm going to have to accept that I'm ending it heavier than last year. Thankfully, only a few pounds, but still more. So much for not giving up! Although if I had actually given up, it would be many, many pounds more - lol! I've been sort of sticking to my plan, eating-wise. More misses than hits at the moment, and I keep making excuses.

I hope you're finished with all the selling now, Snoozie. What a nightmare! It's so frustrating. I've been trying to give stuff away on Freecycle, etc., and people say they want it then change their mind, and you can't give to others because somebody has said they definitely want it and so on, and it ends up not being taken at all. I understand wanting to set it on fire - lol!

Great news about the pickleball drop-ins! That will be great! My dance classes don't start back now until the second week in January .... feels like ages, and I will have forgotten everything. I might look up some youtube videos to try to keep in practice! I've bought the shoes, after all! I also went back to the gym after a break, and it was OKish, although it's not really "me". But I think I should maybe get back in the habit of going after work. I'm struggling a bit with joint pain at the moment, and it's find the right exercises that don't make it worse!

Wishing everyone the best of the festive season! I hope you have some lovely times over Christmas. We will have to think of a title for next year's thread soon!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hi Hatters!!

Vail - right now i'm about a pound heavier than when i ended next year - i'm still hoping to be UNDER it by the 31st even if its just by ounces LOL.. but... if not i'm not going to sweat it because as you said... if we HAD given up we all would have probably been 20-30 lbs heavier and i don't think that's the case for any of us!! and yes on the new motto.. plus its a new DECADE as well... woo hoo lol...

As for the selling - today is the actual move out day for him.. we have to drop off some things here and there and wait for the call from the lawyers saying ok its done .... as the house is his till he gets the call... i'm bringing back a table lamp, tv and vaccuum cleaner here and will drop him off where he's staying til he leaves on the way. Yesterday tho poor guy.. the junk removal came and they broke a pipe in the basement when they were carrying out some stuff.. of course the day BEFORE closing! And the people buying it decided they wanted to do a walk thru again yesterday.. omg... lol AND the vaccuum that i sold for $250 (it's a dyson worth 700 new)... well i had sold it to a lady for pickup sat.. but yesterday when he wwent to vaccuum the roller brushes suddenly stopped working LOL.. crap!! So i will message the lady and tell her. .it still has 3 yrs left on the warranty which we transferred to her.. but she may not want it now.. bummer cause it would have given him more $$ kbut i told him not to clean anymore LOLOL... anyway plumber came last nite and fixed the pipe so all good.. but figures on the last day everything that could go wrong did - murphys law!

My classes are over too til the 2nd week of Jan... good on you for hitting the gym and i know you're gonna enjoy the dance when it starts up again!

I'm on my own for Christmas but i've decided i'm going to do up the full dinner for myself, including stuffing! Well mainly the veggies i love and the stuffing from my childhood... but i havent decided if i'm gonna do a turkey breast or just grab a chicken and do it up...lol and i'm going to pick up one really nice bottle of wine to have along with! if the weather is good i'll go to the lake for a nice walk and if its stormy, i'll settle in with a hallmark movie and just chill... i AM going to allow myself my bag of lays potato chips and dip for xmas eve and i have a few shortbread cookies for treats.. but i'm deliberately not going to have a lot of stuff in the house otherwise i know i will eat it ALL.....

i know Christmas can be many things to many people - some happy, some stress, sometimes lonely for some.... i think just the expectations sometimes we put on ourselves to be happy and cheerful all the time can end up producing the opposite emotions lol... and any and all emotions that we each may feel at different times are all okay, so lets remember that in case we have a moment or two here and there - in the end tho we all have family and friends who love us, whetehr near or far.. and that's the best thing about Christmas is remembering that!

Wishing all of you a lovely holiday and a Merry Christmas!! xo
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Oh no! hahaha I feel for y'all. That sounds like a good episode of I LOVE LUCY!! Isn't it crazy how everything goes to crap in a crunch moment? But I know you both handled it like champs.

I may do the same for Christmas, Snoozie, the kids are going to her family's house for Christmas. It's all good. I see them 362 days a YEAR....yEAh, I may be stretching it a bit, but we can enjoy the kids opening presents on any day.
    I may tackle the dressing again, It came out to dry for Thanksgiving. I like mine loose enough to spoon out , not cut out. I have 2 small Cornish hens I can cook. They are so tiny, but very flavorful. I would love some brussels sprouts, with some homemade mashed potatoes, fried okra( your favorite!! ... NOT!!) with a corn salad.... That would just about do it.

Mom's coming up for a few days, so I will go see her Sat evening or Sunday afternoon, do a bit of shopping and eating. My baby Sister and her two boys may get to come over later in the week. so that's another trip over to Mom's.
    I hope to find the energy to do a bit of deep cleaning while I am off these few days. My kitchen needs some redoing and throwing out of items not used.

2020....is the year WOW! and may I say I am so happy to finally be under 200 lbs.!!! never thought that WOULD HAPPEN.

I still think, having said that , that we all put too much stress on ourselves , worrying about a tag that hangs down the back of our neck, or bottom of our shirts, top of our jeans, or looking up at us from the floor. We spend all our time stressing over it, and never get to just enjoy ourselves. As long as we feel good , why can't we just eat.
    I always think about someone who never let themselves have any thing good to eat and then one day they step off a curb and get hit by a bus.....(just an analogy I always use) All that stressing for what!?!?

Guess what I am trying to say is let's not beat ourselves up over a good time with friends and family...just enjoy it , move on and do better when we can.

Snoozie, Vailara, Suzy, Carol, Susan, Milove ( hope I didn't leave anyone out.)
    Stay safe and have a wonderfully Merry Christmas!!
    G