Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    February 5
    Exercised?: Yes. (5km in 40 mins hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Midday walk. Friend over for dinner (who is working on attaining a healthy size). Wife an I happy to share what we have learned.

February 6
    Exercised?: Yes. (3km in 25 mins hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Early walk, busy work day.

Travelling interstate tomorrow for work for the day.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Morning, Gutbusters!

I've logged into my tracker and posted breakfast already and pre-logged lunch, afternoon protein smoothie, and chicken cacciatore dinner (predicting eating out at the pizza restaurant tonight). Dinner's the one that I'm most guesttimating. I only eat the chicken, peppers and onions, but I still have no idea really what's in the meal calorie-wise. Sometimes the sauce seems really oily. I just chose the highest calorie option that was available to select.

Today's "menu" is exactly what I would have had if I wasn't tracking the calories. There's two lessons I take away from this:
    • Tracking consistently for many months helped me figure out the meals that would help me maintain.
    • To lose weight from here, I really need to get back to tracking.

Nothing ground-breaking about those lessons, huh? Are there any lessons you've learned along the way of your weight-loss journey? They don't have to be ground-breaking either. Sometimes I think we just need to confront the obvious sometimes, and for ourselves, that's ground-breaking enough.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Username: Colleen790
    Weigh in Day: Thursday
    PW: 173.7
    CW: 171.7
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    "Are there any lessons you've learned along the way of your weight-loss journey"?

After years of trying to lose weight, which I can do, my lesson that took sooo many years to figure out is that after I lose the weight I still need to eat like I am today. I can't go back to the bad habits or once again I will be on this never ending cycle of losing and then gaining it all back.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @matthewsfive - so true!!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

So, for all of you pre-loggers out there, what's for dinner tonight? What have you already got planned that will keep you on track for the day and be delicious? [/quote]

I can't really plan as I eat my kids leftovers.
    Chinese chicken stirfry, or chicken fried rice, or baked beans. brekky-maybe just a banana or kids sized bowl of porridge. Lunch.. Veggies or a salad.

Good news is that the severe weather warning has been cancelled. So I'm back to trying to lose rather than being on maintenance.
  • 12Sarah2015
    Options
    Whats for dinner?
    We are having lasagne tonight. My husband and daughter will be having garlic bread too but I've intentionally not made enough for myself.

I bought some garlic bread, my husband was mad I bought it. Good to see he is keen to be healthy now :)
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, recumbent bike-35 minutes, 10.9 miles
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    February 6
    Exercise: Yes - always the fun part
    Calories: Probably not?
    Tracked: Yes

The best laid plans of mice and Gutbusters came crashing down:
    • missed planned lunch today - husband changed plans, so I was with him. Kept to the same calories, but the protein was far less than planned, and overall nutrition was worse, too. I felt the lack of energy in my workout later
    • Prepared my afternoon smoothie drink and Mr. 4 and I had a comedy of errors to spill most of it. I have no idea how much I drank. Definitely felt the lack of protein there, too
    • Didn't go out for dinner. Made spur of the moment mac and cheese for the little dudes and mixed a can of tuna into my portion. Had an oreo while the water was boiling :|

So, I tracked everything, but because of the smoothie spill I'm not how much I actually ate. And worse, I feel starving right now because the food I did eat was high in calories but not filling.

Boo on this day.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    February 6
    Exercised: No, but did a 10m back and forth jig around the bedroom to get an extra 1500 steps before bed, didn't break a sweat but raised my heart rate!
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

"Are there any lessons you've learned along the way of your weight-loss journey?"

That maintaining is also an achievement, and that a gain isn't a failure. It's just a change, and as long as you are conscious of it and aware of the reasons for the change then you're on the right path. I guess I've learned to be kind to myself but also to stay accountable!
  • 12Sarah2015
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    February 6

So, I tracked everything, but because of the smoothie spill I'm not how much I actually ate. And worse, I feel starving right now because the food I did eat was high in calories but not filling.

Boo on this day.

Don't worry. Its way harder to lose weight with kids! Today I've had zero planned housework or exercise coz my three year old has decided to be so naughty.

• Ready2Succeed2019
    Ready2Succeed2019 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    Username: inshapeCK (not feeling very inshape lately or for the last while)
    February Week 1
    PW: 144.9 pounds
    CW: 146.2 pounds :(

Up 1.3 pounds since last week. :'(
    Up 4.7 pounds in the last 2 weeks. :s

I am well aware of why I am gaining weight.
    I am not making enough healthy eating choices and I am not exercising regularly.
    I have eaten way too much junkfood and I hate cooking and my husband doesn't cook so I end up eating more processed food than I would like as it is easier.
    I used to walk and hike but since it's winter now I tend to hibernate and in the fall, my dad, who I did my hiking with, had a serious health episode when the 2 of us were walking in a conservation area which pretty much traumatized me and he hasn't been allowed to hike yet until the doctors get to the bottom of what happened.

I know what I need to do to re-lose the weight but I just can't get myself to get it together.
    I thought of quitting this challenge more than once in 2019 as unlike most people, instead of starting January and February off strong with losses, I have had more weeks with gains but I know if I quit then I will give up and deep down I know I am not a quitter and I can finish strong and be proud of myself.

I am also fighting my mood. This month is the 2 year anniversary of my mom's death (and my mom was also my best friend for the last 15 years) and although I know the date she died I hadn't really been specifically thinking about that date when doing my February calendar until my dad brought it up as he figured I would plan something for that day as I did last year as well as on her birthday in her memory but I really don't want to do something on her date of death or remember that day as all I remember that day is my dad's frantic phone call as I was getting ready for work that morning and showing up at my parents' place and seeing my mom lying in her bed dead with her mouth wide open so going forward I would really rather just not do something on the day she died but rather on her birthday only or on other holidays but I also want to support my dad and since he seems to appreciate the memory outings I did last year I want to provide him with what he wants and needs as he doesn't ask for much and has handled my mom's death well so if these outings help him I don't want to deny him that but him bringing up the date of death when we were co-ordinating our February calendars triggered me.

Plus February is already often a blah month for those of us who don't like winter. In the past, my husband and I have often travelled with my parents in February and me with my dad or with my dad and my husband after my mom passed away to go somewhere warmer and sunnier but since my dad has been having problems with his heart and blood pressure and fainting/going unconscious we are not able to travel right now, plus we can't plan any trips to look forward to until we get to the bottom of what's going on with his health by arriving at a final diagnosis and treatment. So I've been feeling blah/down/listless/unmotivated. I know more sleep and healthier eating and exercise would help my mood but I just can't seem to get myself to stick with it lately.

I posted this on my newsfeed but haven't found a match yet:
    Are any of my MFP friends in the 140s? I am looking for someone to walk alongside with as I was almost out of the 140s (got to 140.8 pounds on Dec. 19th) and have since fallen off the wagon by eating terribly and have gotten up into the mid to higher end of the 140s (147.7 pounds on Feb. 5th) and have lost all motivation and mojo. I am looking for someone to be in contact with regularly so we can walk the journey together and someone who will hold me accountable to get back down to where I was before (sometimes I need a kick in the pants) and then to get out of the 140s once and for all as right now I am about ready to throw in the towel and if I fall any farther off course I am afraid I will give up and re-gain all 29 pounds I worked so hard to lose over the last couple years and I've already been down that road once before and I don't want to have to re-lose all the weight for a 3rd time.

So I know I often don't share much in this group but felt I should this week as that is what this group is for and I know I need accountability and a big kick in the pants right now.

Guess this essay makes up for all the times I didn't post much! ;)

Sending you massive, massive hugs. It sounds like you are going through a lot at the moment emotionally.
    Maybe you should try setting your calories to 0.5lb a week (that way you are still in a deficit but not putting too much pressure on yourself) and give yourself some slack until you get your head in the right place?
    Your mental health is just as important as your physical xx

If you want to add me as a friend please do however I'm nowhere near 140, closer to 240 x
  • Ready2Succeed2019
    Ready2Succeed2019 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. — Confucius
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @inshapeCK I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling so much at the moment. This is obviously a very tough time of year for you, understandably, and you should be kind to yourself.

I'm not in the 140's (yet!). I wish I was. My target is 135, but I can still walk alongside you and support you.

I see you said you don't like cooking. Do you have a slow cooker? You can make lots of very easy, healthy meals, with a slow cooker that require next to no prep. You leave it on low, and come home to a lovely pre-prepped meal. For example, I put beef and ale stew in the slow cooker this morning - a pack of diced beef (no prep), a couple carrots (you can buy frozen chopped ones), an onion (again, you can buy frozen pre chopped ones), a powder mix, a bit of tomato puree and a can of ale. I just bunged it all in and turned it on low. It will be ready to eat when I get home tonight. I just need mash potato to go with it (again, you can buy pre-made).

Some other ideas for quick and easy prep meals -

Jacket potato with baked beans and side salad (again, you can buy pre made salad packs and in the UK you can get pre-prepped jacket spuds too - not sure where you're based)
    Omelette with side salad (can add whatever you like to the omelette - can get pre chopped onions, peppers etc and even bacon pieces)

And the other ideas are to make big batches of things and freeze for those days you just can't be bothered, or have a few weight watchers/slimming world/diet ready meals in the freezer/fridge for those days.

I hope that helps. You're not alone, and you are more than just the number on the scale so don't beat yourself up for that number going up during a difficult time xx
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    February 7
    Exercised? No
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Good morning! Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@Colleen790 – got it, great loss. Thanks!
    @Stimpy56
    @tlesedam

Please post using this template:
    Username
    February Week 1
    PW:
    CW:

@12Sarah2015 – awesome on you for hitting 169!!

@inshapeCK – so sorry for all you are going through. Hope you can work out some kind of middle ground with the situation with your dad. I know that’s so hard. Don’t give up on your health. Your future self will thank you! We’re here for you!!

@ReadytoSucceed2019 – love that quote. I’ve heard versions of it and it’s so true.
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Username: Stimpy56
    February Week 1
    SW: 249.6 Dec 2018
    Previous Weight: 238.5
    Current weight: 237.5
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    February 6

Boo on this day.

Don't worry. Its way harder to lose weight with kids! Today I've had zero planned housework or exercise coz my three year old has decided to be so naughty.

@12sarah2015 Thanks for the encouragement! :smile: It's tough with the little people, for sure. I will say, it's true that they grow super fast, and before you know it, you'll be able to get much more done (because they'll be so much bigger! sniff, sniff!!)
This discussion has been closed.