March 2019 group?

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Week 3 day 1 complete. I did a 5k on Sunday and ended up at 49:51 which was better than I anticipated. My left foot/knee/hip is still bothering me even though i bought nice new shoes and insoles which is a bummer so a doctor's visit is def in order :/ but still. Keeping on, albeit slowly!
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,353 Member
    W4D1 - finally onto a new week! Ask me if I liked it... 😉
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    I'm hiding from week 6 day 3 after day 2 scarred me!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    I'm hiding from week 6 day 3 after day 2 scarred me!

No more hiding.... you can do it!

• frannie_h20
    frannie_h20 Posts: 26 Member
    Week 5 completed. 20 minutes of running without any walking and I survived 🎉
  • emmamcgarity

Yay! That week was the biggest mental hurdle for me. You got this!

• frannie_h20

Yay! That week was the biggest mental hurdle for me. You got this!

It is definitely more of a mental hurdle than a physical one (although my legs were tired by the end!). At this point I think it's actually easier to keep going than do intervals.

I was slower than I'd like though, hoping I can get faster as I move towards the end of the program!
  • VanVanDiane
    I'm still so slow I'd probably be faster walking! I figure I'll work on the speed element once I can run for more than 5 minutes at a time without feeling like I'm going to die... W4D2 completed today, a lovely sunny coastside run
  • emmamcgarity
    I completed the program a few months ago and am a little faster now, but I find that focusing on speed wears me out. I was listening to a running podcast recently. They were talking about saving your stamina for the end of your run and intentionally running slowly to build endurance. I’m going to focus on increasing weekly mileage a little at a time before I worry about speed. I was able to run 48 minutes for my long slow run early this week. I’m using Runkeeper to track my mileage and performance.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,728 Member
    So just checking in. I STILL love this program and use it for my rest days or days when I am just not that motivated. For some reason I can convince myself that 30 minutes is just not that long and is well worth it so I am constantly overwriting and doing the runs in this program again. I did manage to meet my goal of a 10K in under an hr yesterday. WOOHOO!! So what I have found to increase my pace is not to try to run the ENTIRE time faster but to gradually add more faster steps with each qtr mile split. So for instance I might "sprint" for 20 steps 3 times during the first qtr mile and by the last one or on a nice downhill I might be able to sprint for 100 or 150 steps. And then back to normal pace with a couple nice deep breaths. I was amazed at the difference just a few of these sprint steps can make to my overall time. Anyway, I did this program originally in June-July 2017 and just want to say that once you finish it, you don't need to be DONE with it. I tried the 10K program but for unmotivated or rest days, the 5K really has the better intervals.
  • VanVanDiane
    W4D3 completed today, in the pouring rain and misty cold after work. A long hot bath is calling my name now!
  • kilobykilo
    Oh great to have so much activity in here :) I'm exhausted now and don't remember what I've read to reply properly, but will be back tomorrow to do that!

My update, week 6 day 3 done yesterday and week 7 day 1 (my first 20 minute run) to come tomorrow!
  • VanVanDiane
    Good luck with the 20m run @kilobykilo - I'm dreading mine in W5D3!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,728 Member
    yall are doing great! Remember, there is NO shame in repeating a run or even a week if you got sick or injured or just are not ready. The program is built for you to succeed but you also need to listen to your own body.
  • frannie_h20
    Did w6d2 on Saturday. I think I'm actually looking forward to the run tonight having no walking intervals! I wish my legs were in the same place as my brain, haha.
  • kilobykilo
    Took me a week to get round to the 20 minutes, but it's done and it was quite nice with some good tunes. Let's see if the repeat is as kind! I'm slow. Not gonna be worthy of the 3km badge the app gives out!
  • kilobykilo
    @frannie_h20 I loved the lack of interval this morning! How was it for you?