TEAM: The Slimsons (April)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154 .

Replies

• AB0215
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to April!!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 33, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 2 years or so, I decided to change that, I have been working towards that goal for the past year. I'm down 90 lbs and I still have a way to go, but I will get there. Let's do this!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5 pounds. I've been training for an Olympic Style Weight lifting competition and that was late last year, did okay, now I have some things to work on before my next one!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to April and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons,

My name is Gloria @gjaholy33, once again I will be your Co-captain which means motivating and keeping track of your weight.

I am 40 years old by God's grace I turned over my issues of my weight and He has instructed me to the Liver Reduction Eating Plan last month and hopefully I'll be surpassing the baraitric surgery as long as I continue to have success and my doctors are please with my progress.

A little more about my history: I have always been obese since the age of 8 weighing 176lbs. Even with parents and doctors putting me on various diets as I child.

Just to encourage those who are struggling with staying on track I have been trying to get healthy since 2010 and it's a constant struggle but I've learn to set short attainable goals in order to succeed. I didn't seriously try to get healthy until I was 22 weighing 576lbs and was successful losing over 225lbs weighing my lowest as an adult 323lbs. Recently I've been disable due to a work injury in 2015 and need to lose weight in order to get better as I am severely obese at 535lbs in August 2018. There are a lot of days which the pain is unbearable along with additional health issues such as asthma and pulmonary hypertension due to a long slow gas leak in my apartment has not help matters but since I am determine to lose 200lbs I know I have to Stay positive and look forward and not back at what I did yesterday.

I always set goals for myself and this month my goal is to lose 30lbs! Exercise 10-15 minutes every other day.

REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33
  • gjaholy33
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ABOUT THE CHALLENGES & REQUIRED WEIGHT POSTINGS

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming I can remember to do that) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: February Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for us to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

We'd like to help you be as successful as possible and if we can help in any way, please let us know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, we look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

We are committed to this group and to help where we can, and please let us know if we can help in any way!!

Once again Welcome to April Challenge,

Your Captain Ashley (@AB0215) &
    Co-captain Gloria (@Gjaholy33)
  • gjaholy33
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ENCOURAGEMENT TO OUR NEW & OLD MEMBERS THAT IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE SCALE. . .
    NON-SCALE VICTORIES (NSV's)

🎉CELEBRATING MARCH MEMBERS NSV's🎉

#1 - @vicky2767  3/3/19 8:40AM
    "Ok so I just had to share my NSV this morning. I am wearing pants that were definitely getting to small on me and I have room in them! Lol. Feels good to be able to wear something I haven’t put on in a long time because the pants were just getting too tight. Have a great day all."

#2 @SLIMn2016  3/6/19 12:19PM
    "Another NSV--- I am finally at peace with the numbers that move up and down on the scale--- I know that number doesn't mean I am not working hard--- and it's not a clear depiction of my progress either."

#3 - @CindyJNC1963 3/11/19 11:19AM
    "I am now officially out of the morbidly obese BMI range !!!! I'm now at 39.6, My goal for the rest of the month is to move further and further away from the 40 BMI. Next up is getting below a BMI of 35, which is obesity level 2."

#4 -@gjaholy33  3/20/19 5:53AM
    NSV: "Since I've been going to my doctor's in October I've been over 500lbs and severely asthmatic so I haven't been able to walk the long hallways and usually as soon as I get through the entrance doors I sit in my rollator Walker and roll myself backwards to where I need to go. Well the GOOD NEWS is yesterday I walk all the way to my destination. Baby steps, baby steps but I'm making progress. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾"

We are all in this together to help and support one another as we struggle through to make some healthy lifestyle changes. LET'S START POSITIVE AND REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!

Looking forward to reading all the NSVs posts in April.
  • rosina89
    rosina89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Rosina. I am a 29 (almost 30) year old secondary school teacher who has been overweight for a very long time, has very poor eating habits due to my job I am an evening binger and don't consume any food or drink during the day. I know this definitely needs to change.

I have PCOS and type 2 diabetes and found it so difficult in the last to lose any weight.

I am thinking about doing a ketogenic diet to help lose weight, so any advice would be greatly recieved @ABO215

Looking forward to being part of something to hold myself accountable for my weight loss.

I am currently 93.3 kg and my goal by the end of the month is to lose 4kg.
  • AB0215
    Options
    rosina89 wrote: »
    Hi,

My name is Rosina. I am a 29 (almost 30) year old secondary school teacher who has been overweight for a very long time, has very poor eating habits due to my job I am an evening binger and don't consume any food or drink during the day. I know this definitely needs to change.

I have PCOS and type 2 diabetes and found it so difficult in the last to lose any weight.

I am thinking about doing a ketogenic diet to help lose weight, so any advice would be greatly recieved @ABO215

Looking forward to being part of something to hold myself accountable for my weight loss.

I am currently 93.3 kg and my goal by the end of the month is to lose 4kg.

@rosina89 My best advice is to do some reading on it. It's not overly complicated, but can be overwhelming at first, what you can eat and what you can't. I started really simple, at fattier cuts of meat like steak or chicken thighs/wings etc and added in a low carb veggie like broccoli and added butter to the broccoli to up the fat content. The main points of the ketogenic diet are to eat higher fat and super low carb, moderate protein. So you're going to have to monitor your macros more than you would with just calorie restriction.

I would start by reading some of the basics, and one website I used in the beginning when I was starting out is:
    https://www.ruled.me/ They do a pretty good job of breaking it down into the basic components. And after you've been doing it for a while, a few months, you can start to experiment with your protein/fat ratios, but it's important in the beginning to stick with about 75-80% fat so your body can become fat-adapted, which just means that you're more efficiently burning fat for fuel. That site also has a macro calculator which will help you to set up your macros for the ketogenic diet, it will ask you questions about your weight, height, age, etc and you'll want to get as close to those numbers as possible, especially during your initial 6-8 weeks. One important thing to remember with keto is that it takes a few months to really start seeing all of the benefits because your body will take a little bit to get used to this way of eating, you will still see results in the beginning, but eventually, you'll be less hungry overall, feel fuller longer, and you'll have a lot more energy than you've had in the past with traditional carb diets.

Hope that helps you, and welcome!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Hello fellow Slimsons!

This is my first month doing this challenge, and I'm happy to be here. I'm a 32 year old woman from the UK, and I've always been chubby. But issues with medication/hospital stays/and overall health saw my weight balloon over the last few years. Thankfully, those issues are (mostly) under control now.

I reached my highest ever weight on my birthday this year (Feb 1st) at 300lbs, and I decided enough was enough. I'm already down 10lbs since then, so I'm very happy with my progress considering I have PCOS and various weight gain medication side effects. I'm not doing any specific diet other than simple CICO, because I love bread too much haha), and it's going okay so far. Slow and steady. I'm pretty new to exercise, but I'm going to the gym 3 times a week to sweat uselessly on the machines and then slowly swim around.

My goals for April:
    - Lose 5lbs
    - Keep going to the gym on schedule
    - Only one treat day per way where I'm over calories

And that's it. Lovely to meet you all, and can't wait to support the team through April.
    @thelandkraken Welcome! We're glad you're here! Glad to see your health is getting under control and that you're able to start working your way toward becoming even healthier!

Slow and steady wins the race, don't go crazy chasing results, they will come, one good decision at a time!
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    DeshotelK wrote: »
    Hi Team!

My name is Kristy, 40, from Louisiana (USA). Love love love me some good 'ol Cajun food. I have been on MFP since 2012 and around 2014/15 I was at my fittest. I weighed around 160-165 (I'm 5'9") and was addicted, in a good way, to working out. I felt great. Then I started having lower back disc issues and was in physical therapy for a few months. Shortly after, I had a knee injury that required surgery. Spent another couple of months in PT. Since then, I have gone back to my old ways of being lazy and eating all of the good foods I love so much with abandon. I have gained 30+ lbs over the last 3 years and am pretty miserable.

I have two children, almost 15 and 12, who are both very active in sports so we are pretty much constantly on the go. We eat quick grab meals and snacks several nights per week. I have been feeling very discontent with myself. I haven't taken care of "me" in a long time and it's over due.

My goals for April
    - lose 5 lbs
    - exercise at least 4 days/wk
    - drink more water

I am excited and nervous to be a part of this group. Self-doubt rearing it's ugly head.

@DeshotelK Welcome to the group!! Don’t be nervous at all! This is a fantastic group of people. They are supportive and everyone’s progress is very motivating. I’m so glad to have joined this challenge and ended up with the Slimsons!! ❤️❤️❤️
  • ashanna2019
    ashanna2019 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello Team!!

My name is Ashley, 29 from Nebraska. I have been struggling with my weight most of my life. In 2014 I joined a gym and lost about 20 lbs, but then gained it all back and plus. In 2017 I was in a wedding and lost 20 lbs but gained it all back. I am now at the highest weight I have ever been. I stress eat and lets just say work has not been the greatest lately. Trying to find a new job is stressful. I have just recently met someone who could be my future. I want to regain my active lifestyle for him. I have challenged myself to lose 40 lbs before I can get a color profile. (which is basically learning what color season you are and what color pallet should you wear to make your hair, skin and eyes look the best). I am going to Chicago in September, and I know there will be time to shop and I would love to buy some new clothes that fit in my color season. So, I need your help keeping me accountable and I am excited to join this one.

Starting Weight: 250 3/11/19
    Current Weight: 246 3/27/19
    Goal Weight: 210
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 180

My goals for April:
    -lose 8 lbs
    -drink 100 oz of water a day
    -track my food all month
  • grizziegriz
    grizziegriz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi Team ~
    My name is Griz from Colorado (USA). For several years now, I have been trying to lose the weight that I gain when I was pregnant. My girls are now 8 and 9 years old and the weight is still with me. I work in an office and sit in front of a computer 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.
    My day starts at 4:00 a.m. and I go to bed at 10:30 p.m.. I know what I need to do to lose the extra pounds but I lack the motivation and energy to stay focus and stay on track. I'm hoping that you all will help push me along. I'm excited to get started.

My goals for April:
    • Walk 3 times a week for at least 20 min.
    • Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    • Track my meals.
  • nbatch456
    nbatch456 Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello Slimsons Team!
    This is my 1st time & I’m excited to be here. My name is Nancy and I’ve been heavy all my life compared to my skinny mini sisters. I work 10hrs a day in my office and trying my best to lose some weight. I do go to the gym during my lunch hr but it’s the food that I’m shoveling into my mouth that’s keeping me down. After my sisters’ trip, I’ve decided to do something about my weight for the sake of my heart & high blood pressure. Plus, I was trailing my sisters when we were walking cause I was always out of breathe. Yesterday, I just started meal prep & have been logging into my diary for the past 3 days. I’m looking forward to this adventure with all of you & my goal is to be 125lbs. It’s a long way to go from 184.5 but I’m ready for the baby steps & hard work ahead.

My April Goals:
    - Lose 5-8lbs
    - Eat Healthy Portions
    - Stay Motivated
  • dtp17
    dtp17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi team !
    So I’ve been struggling with motivation for some time now. I’m a very emotional eater and unfortunately reach for junk when I’m stressed, sad or downright fed up which is happening a fair bit at the moment then spend the next few hours after that beating myself up over it and so the cycle continues

Really want to get my motivation and healthy eating back on track and hoping this helps me do it.

My goals:
    Lose about 12lbs.
    Be motivated
    Feel better about myself.

Looking forward to getting to know you all 🙂

• o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hey again team

Feel free to add me as a friend. I’ve not been using MFP for very long and just figured out how to allow others to see my diary. I think knowing that friends can see my diary will help me keep on track 😊

Thanks
    Avryl
  • momma3times
    momma3times Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I am back on The Slimsons. I took a long break from November until now and had a rough couple months. I wanted to try a maintenance month and that did NOT go well in February. I tried to recoup in March and has been even worse!

So for April, I am going back to what was working while I was losing weight.

My goals for April:
    Weight loss each week
    No binge eating moments this month
    Exercising 6 out of 7 days each week

Happy to be back!
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    genajonas wrote: »
    Hey guys I am here for the long haul. March was a struggle but it was much easier being apart of this wonderful group. I felt like I was held accountable for my actions and that helped me to stay on task most of the time.

My goals for Apri:
    1. Eat clean
    2. Workout with my trainer 5 days a week
    3. Hit my step goal each day (20,000)
    4. Drink at least 120 oz of water
    5. Lose 8 lbs (2 lbs per week)
    6. Get to bed at a decent time (at least 6 hrs of sleep)
    7. Hit the lottery so I can hire a personal chef, trainer, massage therapist and chiropractor. Also purchase a huge house to hold a full olympic gym with a steam room, sauna, and a lap pool. LOL it doesn't hurt to dream.

🤣

Seriously, nice goals!
This discussion has been closed.