This June I Will...

Options
123457»

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @themedalist how sad. I am so sorry. You and your dad are in my prayers!

Sorry I have been MIA, it is so nice to read all your posts and see all your progress.

I am doing really good logging and keeping myself busy working on my emotional health. I've had some sad days where I let my mind wonder but that is ok. Acknowledging those feelings is important.

@77tes your garment looks really pretty. I love the print.

@texasgardnr You are doing fantastic!! So are you @PackerFanInGB Keep it going guys!
    @nebslp you trips sound amazing. I cannot wait to read all about it when you come back. Don't worry and enjoy yourself.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @themedalist How is your dad? Thinking of you... xoxo

Tracie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,102 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 you are really get this sleep thing figured out!

@nebslp Thank you. I think for me, I felt silly wearing an eye mask ... like an old Doris Day movie rofl, but you know what? It works for me!!

The most important thing - and hardest - was beginning (not completely there yet) to let go of my lifelong joy? Habit? of staying up late. But I feel much better the next day if I go to sleep earlier.

Also, I used to do my wt’s & PT from 9-11 while we watched a tv show. This was not conducive immediately falling asleep lol

So now I go to gym about 1:00, so I can actually relax & go to sleep between 10-12, earlier side if my husband needs to get up early. Later if he’s able to sleep in.

Just realized I probably need to pick a set bedtime lol
    Maybe in the fall when it’s not so hot :) 🥵
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp, I was delighted to read your good report! Thank you for your sweet encouragement!

@themedalist, praying for your father, plus you and everyone. {{Hugs 💖}} to you.

@MadisonMolly2017, I'm also still having difficulty giving up my deeply embedded habit of staying up late. However, I also feel much better when I get more sleep. I've been considering, and looking at finding a sleep mask. I've been wondering if it will help me stay asleep. I'm also using a fan for white noise. Next month I'm considering changing my acceptable time to have lights out to get further away from midnight, it can go beyond too easily once I get too close to that point. Then when that happens... 😲🕜😨🕝🤷‍♀️....

This June's I will: Tracking my progress of getting to sleep earlier (before midnight, however true success will be lights out between 10:30-11:00 PM for better consistency) each night. I will use 🕙 for lights out by 11 P.M!
    By midnight 🛌, after midnight ❌.

For a secondary mini 'I will' I am also tracking when adding in some additional healthy nutrition that I've become lax about over time such as: salads 🥗, and more vegetables 🥦, or that I have completely forgotten about such as making a smoothie 🍌, or juicing 🥕 .

June 1: 🕙 🥗

June 2: 🕙 🥦
    June 3: 🕙 🥗
    June 4: 🕙 🥗
    June 5: 🕙 🥗 🍌
    June 6: 🕙 🥗 🍌
    June 7: 🕙 🥦
    June 8: ❌ 🥗 🥦

June 9: 🛌 🥗 🥦
    June 10: 🛌 🥦 🍌
    June 11: 🕙 🥦 🍌
    June 12: ❌ 🥗 🥦
    June 13: 🕙 🥗 🥦🍌
    June 14: 🕙 🍌 🍌
    June 15: ❌ 🥗 🥦

June 16: 🕙 🥗 🥦
    June 17: 🕙 🥦
    June 18: 🕙 🥗 🥦
    June 19: 🕙 🥗 🥦
    June 20: 🛌 🥗 🥦 🍌
    June 22: ❌ 🥦

June 23: ❌ 🥗 🥦
    June 24: 🛌 🥦
    June 25: 🕙 🥦

texasgardnr 🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,102 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp, I was delighted to read your good report! Thank you for your sweet encouragement!

@themedalist, praying for your father, plus you and everyone. {{Hugs 💖}} to you.

@MadisonMolly2017, I'm also still having difficulty giving up my deeply embedded habit of staying up late. However, I also feel much better when I get more sleep. I've been considering, and looking at finding a sleep mask. I've been wondering if it will help me stay asleep. I'm also using a fan for white noise. Next month I'm considering changing my acceptable time to have lights out to get further away from midnight, it can go beyond too easily once I get too close to that point. Then when that happens... 😲🕜😨🕝🤷‍♀️....

This June's I will: Tracking my progress of getting to sleep earlier (before midnight, however true success will be lights out between 10:30-11:00 PM for better consistency) each night. I will use 🕙 for lights out by 11 P.M!
    By midnight 🛌, after midnight ❌.

For a secondary mini 'I will' I am also tracking when adding in some additional healthy nutrition that I've become lax about over time such as: salads 🥗, and more vegetables 🥦, or that I have completely forgotten about such as making a smoothie 🍌, or juicing 🥕 .

June 1: 🕙 🥗

June 2: 🕙 🥦
    June 3: 🕙 🥗
    June 4: 🕙 🥗
    June 5: 🕙 🥗 🍌
    June 6: 🕙 🥗 🍌
    June 7: 🕙 🥦
    June 8: ❌ 🥗 🥦

June 9: 🛌 🥗 🥦
    June 10: 🛌 🥦 🍌
    June 11: 🕙 🥦 🍌
    June 12: ❌ 🥗 🥦
    June 13: 🕙 🥗 🥦🍌
    June 14: 🕙 🍌 🍌
    June 15: ❌ 🥗 🥦

June 16: 🕙 🥗 🥦
    June 18: 🕙 🥗 🥦
    June 19: 🕙 🥗 🥦
    June 20: 🛌 🥗 🥦 🍌
    June 22: ❌ 🥦

June 23: ❌ 🥗 🥦
    June 24: 🛌 🥦
    June 25: 🕙 🥦

texasgardnr 🌺

@texasgardnr You’ve done great! The mask will help - mine is from a freebie from a previous airplane flight. I’m
    Thinking of getting a larger one. Definitely worth trying!

On our trip, the chargers for phone & Watch were 8 feet away, so I slept. I’ve been resisting it, but I’m going to do that at home too.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. This past week has not been so great. I did not log because I was emotional eating the whole time. I am going through menopause and it is bad this week. I am taking care of myself today and refocusing so I can start July with a clean slate. Thanks for the kind words and support! I was defeated and I did what I needed to do, still it was not enough. Sometimes we just need to let our bodies and our emotions out, recognize where we are and once there focus on what needs to be done to move along.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I’ve been down in Eastern Virginia this week as my dad is now in a stroke rehab facility. Mom and I are able to visit him every day.

He is very lucky to be alive. My cousin quickly recognized the symptoms of a stroke and called 911 immediately. He was flown to a nearby hospital and operated on right away. Cognitively, he is still very much my dad, but his speech is somewhat impaired and he’s essentially paralyzed on his left side. His left leg and left arm/hand are showing signs of improvement. Yay!

Given his determination, his willingness to fully cooperate in the exercises and therapy that is required, it looks probable that he will walk again. But not for some time. He’s got a long road ahead of him.

Those of you who have known me for a while know how passionate I am about physical therapy and what it can do to restore mobility. I like his PT team a lot. Lots of tough love. Dad felt unstable standing up for the first time with assistance because his right knee is arthritic and needs to be replaced. “Well, it’s your strong leg now so use it!” was the response from his therapist. Loved that response! I have seen lots of progress in the week I have been here. I’ll return in mid July and I’m sure he will have progressed even further.

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. I sure like reading your updates!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. This past week has not been so great. I did not log because I was emotional eating the whole time. I am going through menopause and it is bad this week. I am taking care of myself today and refocusing so I can start July with a clean slate. Thanks for the kind words and support! I was defeated and I did what I needed to do, still it was not enough. Sometimes we just need to let our bodies and our emotions out, recognize where we are and once there focus on what needs to be done to move along.

That’s very insightful. Those bad days come upon us because we are human. Your thoughts on accepting them and not berating yourself for being human will help you move forward. Any progress, big or small, is progress. Awareness is a huge step! You’ll get to where you’re going because you don’t give up!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @themedalist I am happy to hear that you and your mom can visit your dad daily. I know that means a lot to him and that your mom appreciates your support. Thank God for your cousin being nearby when the stroke began. I’m glad you’re satisfied with his PT team. They are the key to his recovery, along with his inner strength and tenacity. And he’s able to stand with assistance! Wow!! Look how far he’s come already🙂

I decided to share a book I’m reading and thought it might interest others who’ve known someone who had a stroke. It’s called My Stroke of Genius by Jill Bolte Taylor. All strokes are different depending on the kind and location in the brain and hers occurred when she was 37 years old. She’s a brain scientist and the book is pretty technical especially at the beginning. I’m not finished but I’m at the part when she talks about her recovery process. Her total recovery took 8 years and is unbelievable, especially knowing the severity of impairment she started with. My takeaway from it so far is that the brain has incredible powers for healing itself and that it will continue to heal as long as it’s stimulated.

Take care! Sending virtual hugs!

• nebslp
    Options
    I have not done well with intuitive eating the past few weeks. I don't handle stress well apparently. Last night I got back from a week of camping/childcare and came home exhausted. Cleaned out camper and laundry done. Bags now almost ready to zip up for my cruise. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning and will have limited wifi off and on until July 12th or so. I'm excited, just nervous about details. My stomach feels weird and I just want to go to bed. Soon. July goal??? Still thinking. There are so many things I need to work on🤔
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of June I set a goal of making changes to be a mindful spender, using the same MFP strategies I have used to lose weight. The strategies ... set a budget, log expenditures daily, and to stop and make very conscious choices when making unplanned purchases.

Happy to say I am ending the month on budget! Far from being an established habit, but a good first step. Hoping to feel more co fifmed in this financial way of life by the end of next month.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Wow you are all so awesome! I’m a bit late to he party, but I’ve been busy at my June goal which is revisiting my December goal.

1. My goal for this month (This June I will sew more)
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - spend at least 5 minutes doing something sewing related.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - if I haven’t sewn when I sit down to watch TV, I’ll work on my hand sewing project.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days per week - daily is the goal, but I don't want to make this too difficult
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I’ll show my progress to my husband, daughters or sister.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement like you do
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of June. At least 3 complete sewn items as well as a hand-hemmed handkerchief.

Projects:
    1. Colonial petticoat (skirt), jacket (caraco), handkerchief. For a ball 6/29
    2. Daughter’s Birthday: T-shirt, and maybe another sewn gift. Birthday 6/20
    3. Regency Spencer (jacket) For Costume college July 28

Well, I definitely did well with my goal. I did some sewing all but one day of the whole month. 😃 I even took some hand sewing to work on Monday, and since it was slow at the lab I got a lot done. I also did a little trimming/pinking of loose threads today.

The Colonial Ball was last night and was great fun.

bjsewf1279mk.jpeg

• 77tes
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @themedalist , I’m glad to hear your dad’s rehab is going well and that’s he’s a cooperative patient. Attitude is so important!

@prgirl39mfp , have you read Geena Roth’s books? I think they are terrific about emotional eating. I really enjoyed Breaking Free from Emotional Eating and When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair.

@jan110144 , 👏 congratulations on staying on budget. It’s so clever of you to apply MFP strategies to a seemingly unrelated topic. But habits are habits. 😊

@nebslp I loved your Edward Scissorhands reference! I thought of it often as I was sewing like a ninja. Your goal for this month is a tough one - intuitive eating is hard. That’s the way my slim husband eats, but I’ve tried it without much success. I think I have had too many years of disordered eating, so I need a little more discipline in my diet. I’m not saying that I couldn’t do it, this old dog has learned a LOT of new tricks. Enjoy your cruise. For yourJuly goal, I vote that you try a phrase of French on a real person each day of the month. 🇫🇷

@texasgardnr and @MadisonMolly2017 , so glad you are getting more sleep. That’s something I should work on, but summer is the worst time for sleeping for me.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    The Colonial Ball was last night and was great fun.

bjsewf1279mk.jpeg

THIS IS SO COOL! You did such a nice job on your gown! So glad you had a nice time!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @themedalist I'm happy to hear your dad is doing well, considering what could have happened! Thank God your cousin was there and acted so quickly. Sending you hugs.

My June was going strong but once again....yup, good ol' family drama. I'm so tired of feeling like I'm in a soap opera. But I need to stop letting that derail me because it appears it is just part of being married for a second time and having a large blended family. I feel like I'm just doomed to fail. But I am tenacious and I will keep trying to move forward.

Regarding the sleep masks like in the Doris Day movies, (hahaha...this made me smile), I wear one sometimes when I can't get to sleep and it works wonderfully! I got mine at the Dollar Tree for a buck. :)

• 77tes
    Options
    The last of my June projects - just a bit late. The shirt I was making for my daughter’s birthday. v327vgfn0gar.jpeg
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @77tes Very pretty. I'm sure your daughter will be delighted
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @77tes I love it! That is so pretty! Lucky girl!